Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the game really THAT bad?

Comments

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by kalinis

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Anyone with any expectations that the game should have been anything other than what it is hasn't bothered to learn the first thing about it. The game is a very good example of exactly what it was meant to be.

I'm honestly so sick of hearing people spew this same statement out on every single thread thats the least bit critical about the game.. this game is fine but its not great its a decent MMO that doesn't raise the bar for really anything in the MMO world. People are upset because of the hype brought on for the game and in 2012 just about no one was exptecting a 2006 game period. So sorry I never once read anywhere that this game was going to be  mediocre in every aspect of the thempark MMO genre at anytime I was following the game. If somehow I'm wrong and you have dev interviews saying they were striving for mediocraty I'd love to see it. In the end its a fine game for KOTOR fans and people new to the MMO genre but to say this is exactly what people should have been expecting is just ridiculous to me.

They gave us what they promised, Im not blasting it because its critical but anyone paying attention knew what tor ws gonna be as a game. if u expected galxies2 or a sandbox, or if u expected them to change how combat worked in an mmo u werent paying attention

u dont like tor u have that right. i love tor and am having a blast in the game. i have that right. im tired of the notiong that people who like this game are just accepting mediocrity

if anything if ind the vitriol aimed at anyone who likes tor much worse then any dfense of tor. When i defend tor i dont feel like im just defending a game but that im having to defend my reasons for liking a game

I feel like i have to defend myself from the personal attacks by people who dont lik eit. As if im an idiot cause i like tor

ill admit im not the best typist  and that gets me when it ry to get my opinion out. That said in the end i love tor cause its fun

The truth is tor is exactly what i was promised by bioware, 

and the fact so many believe this just boggles the mind in so many ways.. the fact people can actually say and believe a game company worked on a game for years and all the while promised mediocraty and to not just copy but not even improve on most of the basic themepark elements.. I mean honestly I don't call people names like fanboy or anything but what else can I say in these cases.. oh also if you don't see this game as mediocre at least in the MMO themepark areas I really don't know what to say...

Why does that bother you so much?

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Fearmeirl

I knew it wouldnt be a great game since its based off Star Wars and such but is the gameplay and PvP really as bad as people make it out to be?

its absolutely awfull, thats why ive been playing 120 hours a week not sleeping and playing at work.

o wait, i meant absolutely a blast to play, over 3 billion mobs slain so far according to biowares metrics.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by bossalinie

Anyone with any expectations that the game should have been anything other than what it is hasn't bothered to learn the first thing about it. The game is a very good example of exactly what it was meant to be.

I'm honestly so sick of hearing people spew this same statement out on every single thread thats the least bit critical about the game.. this game is fine but its not great its a decent MMO that doesn't raise the bar for really anything in the MMO world. People are upset because of the hype brought on for the game and in 2012 just about no one was exptecting a 2006 game period. So sorry I never once read anywhere that this game was going to be  mediocre in every aspect of the thempark MMO genre at anytime I was following the game. If somehow I'm wrong and you have dev interviews saying they were striving for mediocraty I'd love to see it. In the end its a fine game for KOTOR fans and people new to the MMO genre but to say this is exactly what people should have been expecting is just ridiculous to me.

They gave us what they promised, Im not blasting it because its critical but anyone paying attention knew what tor ws gonna be as a game. if u expected galxies2 or a sandbox, or if u expected them to change how combat worked in an mmo u werent paying attention

u dont like tor u have that right. i love tor and am having a blast in the game. i have that right. im tired of the notiong that people who like this game are just accepting mediocrity

if anything if ind the vitriol aimed at anyone who likes tor much worse then any dfense of tor. When i defend tor i dont feel like im just defending a game but that im having to defend my reasons for liking a game

I feel like i have to defend myself from the personal attacks by people who dont lik eit. As if im an idiot cause i like tor

ill admit im not the best typist  and that gets me when it ry to get my opinion out. That said in the end i love tor cause its fun

and the fact so many believe this just boggles the mind in so many ways.. the fact people can actually say and believe a game company worked on a game for years and all the while promised mediocraty and to not just copy but not even improve on most of the basic themepark elements.. I mean honestly I don't call people names like fanboy or anything but what else can I say in these cases.. oh also if you don't see this game as mediocre at least in the MMO themepark areas I really don't know what to say...

I don't expect you to go through my previous posts but I can explain it to you in a few words.. I'm an MMO addict for the last...well when did MMOs come out? and I'm a huge star wars geek.. that's why it bothers me so much

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i dont find the game mediocre. So thats your opinion not mine. i find this game to be a blast, im enjoying it as much as i have ever enjoyed a game. id say skyrim was mediocre, and lotro, dcu, aoc, and forsaken world and perfect world but not tor

To me those games were mediocre but that doesnt make them mediocre games it just means i didnt like it. 

This is what gets me somehow its the fault of those that like this game u dont like it. We dont think its medicore just because u do.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

i dont find the game mediocre. So thats your opinion not mine. i find this game to be a blast, im enjoying it as much as i have ever enjoyed a game. id say skyrim was mediocre, and lotro, dcu, aoc, and forsaken world and perfect world but not tor

To me those games were mediocre but that doesnt make them mediocre games it just means i didnt like it. 

This is what gets me somehow its the fault of those that like this game u dont like it. We dont think its medicore just because u do.

You lost any objectivity when you said Skyrim was mediocre ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

I don't expect you to go through my previous posts but I can explain it to you in a few words.. I'm an MMO addict for the last...well when did MMOs come out? and I'm a huge star wars geek.. that's why it bothers me so much

Well specifically I mean why do you care others are satisfied?

well considering pretty much every gaming magazine is giving skyrim game of the year I'd maybe take your opinion on games less than mine.. but what do I know.. guess most of the world doesn't feel skyrim is mediocre just because you do

why do you care that people think critically of the game? I post here because It's my belief there is a lot of false information floating around and for me I'm tired of the MMO community just accepting the same old same old year after year.. and In my opinion the more people get critical to developers during the beta phases the more changes we can get to this games so they don;t just keep dishing out the same stuff every year and actually try something new for a change.. yes this game did try to blend there single player game story with the MMO world but the MMO side is still stuck in vanilla wows age..

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335
    The game is actually quite good.

why do you care that people think critically of the game? I post here because It's my belief there is a lot of false information floating around and for me I'm tired of the MMO community just accepting the same old same old year after year.. and In my opinion the more people get critical to developers during the beta phases the more changes we can get to this games so they don;t just keep dishing out the same stuff every year and actually try something new for a change.. yes this game did try to blend there single player game story with the MMO world but the MMO side is still stuck in vanilla wows age..

I don't have a problem with people being critical with a game. I do have an issue why people get upset at other people for liking it and say "I don't undersand why people like this..." One man's issues are not be-all issues.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

You lost any objectivity when you said Skyrim was mediocre ;).

i didnt say skyrim was mediocre,  i said i could say skyrim is mediocre because i dont like it.  i actually think skyrim is a well made pretty game , i just didnt enjoy it. 

i never said skyrim was mediocre. i was pointing out that i coudl say a game i didnt like was mediocre too but it didnt make ti true just because i dont like it

The fact is those that like tor dont think its mediocre and the fact he thinks it is doesnt mean its a mediocre game just because he didnt like it thats wall i was saying.l 

Well at least that is what i meant. i dont actualy think ahy of those games are mediocre by the way that i listed. they just werent for me 

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by wildtalent

Originally posted by Khurg

no...the people here are THAT bad

EXACTLY.  Nothing is wrong with the game.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

The games enjoyable, its mainly the beta testers (self included) that have a stick up their ass because they played a game that was much better in beta. then we watched it get tucked deeper into the cookie cutter frame.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

No the games is amazing, and it is like Porto wine it will only get better

• GamecriticGamecritic Member Posts: 34

I thought hard about this whist cutting my long toe nails and decided on the last cut that this is a bad game. You see I'd keep growing my damn toe nails if I had a decent game to play but the all suck so bad. is MMO dead right now? YES will it come back in 2012 YES will SWTOR help in this come back? NO!!

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Originally posted by Uzleb

doesn't matter to me if it's bad or good (my answer)

it's a sub game and I no longer play games with subscriptions (my choice)

Sub games = blind greed (IMHO)

no need to pay for the box and a sub, if you believe that there is a need, i feel sorry for you

don't believe me, just ask any ArenaNet network developer

Hmm... wondering if you would be doing any job for free? Or lead company, spending milions of dollars ... just to let cheap people enjoy all this for free. FYI, there are no (true) free (quality) games. There is always some price to pay, sooner or later.

Btw, my choice is that I play exclusively sub games. Have decided few years ago that I'm done with "free" trash.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Very well put, thank you!

I avoided the prelaunch hype the best I could and only had moderate expectations for the game, but I was still disappointed. I can only imagine how people who were really psyched for the game, but not to the point of blind adoration, must be feeling and thinking about now.

I love MMOs and RPGs. Even a mediocre title can usually hold my interest long enough to be worth the box price. I shouldn't be having this much trouble bringing myself to log into a game this soon after release. I've gotten more play out of a few Asian F2P games. I hope I can get a second wind soon and at least make modest use of my remaining game time. Otherwise, back to Skyrim, with a few breaks for Orcs Must Die! for something totally different. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• wesleyartswesleyarts Member Posts: 43

If you are a fanboy it should be good for you. If you are not, is the same as playing wow in space but with worse combat and more bugs.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

The question is not about being good or bad, the question is,  are you bored with WOW ?  If the answer is yes, you'll be bored with SWTOR real fast.  It's the exact same thing.

Originally posted by LadyNoh

The games enjoyable, its mainly the beta testers (self included) that have a stick up their ass because they played a game that was much better in beta. then we watched it get tucked deeper into the cookie cutter frame.

I never played in the earlier betas but what has changed Im curious? becuase the people on the forums here keep saying that this is the exact game the developers have invisioned and been striving for since the start...

Originally posted by Aguitha

The question is not about being good or bad, the question is,  are you bored with WOW ?  If the answer is yes, you'll be bored with SWTOR real fast.  It's the exact same thing.

Well I would'nt say that I would say if you a burnt out of ALL themeparks like rift and all the others you will probably get bored of this game once the story aspect is over... if you have been out of the MMO game for years or never played one you will probably eat this game up..

• gt4980bgt4980b Member Posts: 112

Once you accept TOR for what it is, it is a good game.  It is MMOlite.  It does feel like a single player RPG.  The stories are great fun to experience.  But are they worth $15 a month for a whole year?  This is Bio-wares first MMO.   They made some first MMO mistakes that they can recover from.  But will the TOR fans be patient and wait for those updates.  Probably not given at how impatient gamers have become these days.

I don't think I will play next month but that is due to my playstyle.  I would like to get in most of the story for the Jedi, Warrior and Inq and then I'm done I think.  I may do the agent.  I liked the story up until I got my ship in beta.  We shall see.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by Satarious

I knew it wouldnt be a great game since its based off Star Wars and such but is the gameplay and PvP really as bad as people make it out to be?

The trolls who spend all their time unfairly bashing the game are bad, not the game.  The game is great!  I've been having a blast.  Try it for youself and stop listening to people who have probably never even tried the game.

This! 

I am not seeing where it is a bad game.  It is the highest quality I have seen in an MMO at launch, especially considering what a crap launch games like WOW had.

They announced in 2009 that they were not going to reinvent the wheel... and mature people got over it... in 2009!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

I feel pvp is great. I have had a blast on Ilum, I can't wait for more 50s to actually come out. As for now it is just small skirmishes here and there but they are fun to be a part of.

People who hate the pvp or complain about balance are the ones who think they should be able to destroy all in pvp and don't understand that each AC has a role in pvp and when played correctly as a team any class can dominate. However, must just feel that they should be able to win every 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 or else its not balanced.

It's all about team play and I hope it stays that way, none of this crying fest well my class gets beat by this class a lot therefore its not balanced. This is one of the most enjoyable pvp experiences I have had, warzone and open world.

And lastely, the animations are amazing. The scoundrel scrapper has some of the coolest looking/sounding animatoins for its moves, and some of the other classes that I just started toying with have some as well.

imageimage

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Souldrainer

Originally posted by Satarious

The trolls who spend all their time unfairly bashing the game are bad, not the game.  The game is great!  I've been having a blast.  Try it for youself and stop listening to people who have probably never even tried the game.

This! 

I am not seeing where it is a bad game.  It is the highest quality I have seen in an MMO at launch, especially considering what a crap launch games like WOW had.

They announced in 2009 that they were not going to reinvent the wheel... and mature people got over it... in 2009!

I don't think SWTOR is a bad game, but I don't think it's as simple as "you knew what to expect, it's your own fault you don't like it" either.

I knew very well that the game would be "traditional" and yet, I still found myself disappointed in it.  Why?

Because there are just so many intangibles that you won't ever know about until you play the game.  For example, linearity, quality of individual quests/story, combat responsiveness, PvP "fun factor," class ability "fun factor."

So I knew the game would be traditional, but I still expected it to be a little better.  I just found the game to be way too linear (WoW was less linear), and I found the quality of the vast majority of the side quests to be on par with WoW in 2004 which was disappointing.  I also found the combat to not be as responsive as WoW, and I was disappointed with some of the shortcomings in PvP, like inability to select a warzone to queue for, inability to see the score board until the end of the match, inexplicable lag...etc.

There's also the uncustomizable UI, lackluster auction house, too much running between quests etc.  There really is a lot to complain about that is legitimate.  There's also a lot to love about the game as well, so I don't want to come off as completely negative.

That said, I think you should respect that some people that don't like the game knew exactly what to expect and were still disappointed.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?