Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guess now we know EAlouse wasn't just raving mad

123457»

Comments

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

So let me see if i undestand this. We were from the biggest failure in the MMO history to the most successful Launch in the MMO history, mm yes EAlouse was right. 

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by youngkg

Whatever helps the whiners sleep at night.  

I'm sure EA is crying all the way to the bank.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/star-wars-the-old-republic/news/6312400/star-wars-the-old-republic-has-cost-ea-80-million-analyst

So according to the analyst if TOR would have sold 2 million boxes EA's cut would have been 60 million, they sold over a million but most likely didnt get near 1.5 million boxes sold but lets give em that anyways and tally it up to 45 million box sale profits.

Also noted in the link is that TOR would have to retain 1 million subs for a six month time span to generate a cut of 30 million.

Theoretically if the best case scenario plays out and TOR manages to hold a million subs till may 2012, EA would have recouped 75 million bucks from a game where the lowest ESTIMATED cost for development is 80 million bucks...as far as the estimates go you can find articles with estimates ranging from 80 million to 130+ million so i just went with the lowest.

EDIT: I didnt add the marketing cost coming right outta EA's pockets...dont recall seeing any marketing for it so it sliped my mind but you can tack 20 million on the deficit....

At the end of the day, EA's public statement was simply "The game has exceeded our expectations".  The game has also only been out for 7 days.   Since when did the total first months sales stop after 7 days?

They dont....typically games sell 1/4 of there yearly sales in the first week then dip...

Theres no cut off period.. SWTOR doesn't stop selling the game after a week and people don't magically stop buying it.  The 1 million mark was reached the 3rd day of release... 

It was released on the 13th dont kid yourself...And no EA doesnt stop selling it after a week but people do stop buying it after a week especially when preorders have been open for months...

Apart from that, all I'm seeing is what analysts say or "theoretically" ....  we don't know exactly how well SWTOR did so far.. and if you want to dismiss what EA says about the game "exceeding expectations" like the OP did... fine, have at it... but all of this theorycrafting will actually get you no where.  

I always dismiss what EA has to say...But your missing my point...i dont care how well star wars did...infact i hope it did great and does great in the future.

The only chance we have at seeing how well the game actually has done and will do, will be when EA speaks to investors, or when they willfully release information.  Analysts will drop numbers left and right,  but EA really is the only one who knows...     so,  if they aren't happy with the outcome so far.... well.. they sure fooled me.

You can put your lightsaber away bro im not bashing TOR...i preordered and enjoyed it and found it insanely polished for a launch mmo, even though in the end it wasnt for me, i can still see it being a successfull mmo...

The whole purpose was too gauge if EA would be seeing its investment returned in the near future and it doesnt seem so....WOW cost nearly 75 million to make so to assume TOR's production cost is much higher isnt a strecth considering the cost of producing a AAA mmo in todays market has to be substantially higher than it was in 2001 , not to mention the 300+ voice actors they hired...

Now if you feel that EA not seeing its return in a timely manner reflects on TOR in a negative way thats your problem and dont put alot of stock into "exceeding expectations"...its a company line they used with Warhammer also...funcom threw it around to,Darkfall exceeded epectations on a whole new level...there were ques to buy the client alone.

Typically you say that games make most of their sales in the first week,  however, thats not entirely true in all games, especially MMOs.  AoC for instance didn't reach the 1 million sales mark until the first month hit.  Guild Wars 1 didn't hit the 7 million boxes sold over night... and counted all of the expansion content.. and packaged content.. as boxes sold

AOC sold over 800k in the first week...Guild Wars is free to play so im not touching that one...

WoW definitely didn't start with 5 million players in the west,  nowhere close to that in their first month.

WoWs been around for 8 years now and still growing...and anomaly in this genre.

And,  as stated by those same "analysts"  EA will be keeping all revenue earned until they recoup their investment, before Lucastarts gets any money.   

Please do link....all i have found on this topic is what is known and that is EA owes 33% of all revenue earned on TOR..sounds like talking outta your ass trying to defend EA... http://www.gamernode.com/kotick-ea-will-not-profit-from-the-old-republic/

Also, you say that the game launched on the 13th.. but you'd be wrong.. early access did,  but most  who preordered weren't charged (especially those through origin, which would be the largest slice of EAs revenue as its their store)  until the 20th.  I know I wasn't on any of the copies I bought as gifts this year.    Then, 3 days from the time the game was charged, and subscriptions were signed up for, they released,  1 Million subscriptions earned....   on the day of the cutoff if I remember correctly.... 

The game launched on the 13th for anyone who actually wanted to play it....the 1million+ boxes sold estimate came on the 23rd....1 day after the grace period, but i never questioned this so what the hell are you talking about?

And if you put a lot of stock in what analysts say, then you would also take note of the most recent analyst who mentioned they believe EA will be profitable, recoup their investment, and make a hefty chunk of money within their first month of release.    Faux numbers can work in favor of anyone you want them to,  again, its only EA that knows for sure.

Again....please link lol, if EA is going to make any profit off of TOR it wont be till holiday season of 2012....

Which is why this threa is ridiculous in the end... the OP makes no sense, and nothing has been proven right,  and only what EA has released as fact (stating that 300 million is far beyond anything that was spent) has been dismissed by people who are apparently physically and mentally hurt that this game is successful.   The questions shouldn't be on the thinly veiled attempt to jab SWTOR... but why the same people here can't let a successful game, have its success.

300 in most likely not the number but neither is 80...and again let me state i could give a shit if TOR flops or succeeds...my post isnt a jab at TOR...its just an attempt to gauge EA's Losses at launch and through most of 2012...Even if the boxes sold number is 1.5 mill (which it isnt) how many "Subs" so you think TOR will have after the first initial month? less than a million more than likely and even less after the 2nd month...EA is taking a loss unless something miraculous takes place...get over it.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171

Whatever helps the whiners sleep at night.  

I'm sure EA is crying all the way to the bank.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/star-wars-the-old-republic/news/6312400/star-wars-the-old-republic-has-cost-ea-80-million-analyst

So according to the analyst if TOR would have sold 2 million boxes EA's cut would have been 60 million, they sold over a million but most likely didnt get near 1.5 million boxes sold but lets give em that anyways and tally it up to 45 million box sale profits.

Also noted in the link is that TOR would have to retain 1 million subs for a six month time span to generate a cut of 30 million.

Theoretically if the best case scenario plays out and TOR manages to hold a million subs till may 2012, EA would have recouped 75 million bucks from a game where the lowest ESTIMATED cost for development is 80 million bucks...as far as the estimates go you can find articles with estimates ranging from 80 million to 130+ million so i just went with the lowest.

EDIT: I didnt add the marketing cost coming right outta EA's pockets...dont recall seeing any marketing for it so it sliped my mind but you can tack 20 million on the deficit....

At the end of the day, EA's public statement was simply "The game has exceeded our expectations".  The game has also only been out for 7 days.   Since when did the total first months sales stop after 7 days?

They dont....typically games sell 1/4 of there yearly sales in the first week then dip...

Theres no cut off period.. SWTOR doesn't stop selling the game after a week and people don't magically stop buying it.  The 1 million mark was reached the 3rd day of release... 

It was released on the 13th dont kid yourself...And no EA doesnt stop selling it after a week but people do stop buying it after a week especially when preorders have been open for months...

Apart from that, all I'm seeing is what analysts say or "theoretically" ....  we don't know exactly how well SWTOR did so far.. and if you want to dismiss what EA says about the game "exceeding expectations" like the OP did... fine, have at it... but all of this theorycrafting will actually get you no where.  

I always dismiss what EA has to say...But your missing my point...i dont care how well star wars did...infact i hope it did great and does great in the future.

The only chance we have at seeing how well the game actually has done and will do, will be when EA speaks to investors, or when they willfully release information.  Analysts will drop numbers left and right,  but EA really is the only one who knows...     so,  if they aren't happy with the outcome so far.... well.. they sure fooled me.

You can put your lightsaber away bro im not bashing TOR...i preordered and enjoyed it and found it insanely polished for a launch mmo, even though in the end it wasnt for me, i can still see it being a successfull mmo...

The whole purpose was too gauge if EA would be seeing its investment returned in the near future and it doesnt seem so....WOW cost nearly 75 million to make so to assume TOR's production cost is much higher isnt a strecth considering the cost of producing a AAA mmo in todays market has to be substantially higher than it was in 2001 , not to mention the 300+ voice actors they hired...

Now if you feel that EA not seeing its return in a timely manner reflects on TOR in a negative way thats your problem and dont put alot of stock into "exceeding expectations"...its a company line they used with Warhammer also...funcom threw it around to,Darkfall exceeded epectations on a whole new level...there were ques to buy the client alone.

Typically you say that games make most of their sales in the first week,  however, thats not entirely true in all games, especially MMOs.  AoC for instance didn't reach the 1 million sales mark until the first month hit.  Guild Wars 1 didn't hit the 7 million boxes sold over night... and counted all of the expansion content.. and packaged content.. as boxes sold

AOC sold over 800k in the first week...Guild Wars is free to play so im not touching that one...

WoW definitely didn't start with 5 million players in the west,  nowhere close to that in their first month.

WoWs been around for 8 years now and still growing...and anomaly in this genre.

And,  as stated by those same "analysts"  EA will be keeping all revenue earned until they recoup their investment, before Lucastarts gets any money.   

Please do link....all i have found on this topic is what is known and that is EA owes 33% of all revenue earned on TOR..sounds like talking outta your ass trying to defend EA... http://www.gamernode.com/kotick-ea-will-not-profit-from-the-old-republic/

Also, you say that the game launched on the 13th.. but you'd be wrong.. early access did,  but most  who preordered weren't charged (especially those through origin, which would be the largest slice of EAs revenue as its their store)  until the 20th.  I know I wasn't on any of the copies I bought as gifts this year.    Then, 3 days from the time the game was charged, and subscriptions were signed up for, they released,  1 Million subscriptions earned....   on the day of the cutoff if I remember correctly.... 

The game launched on the 13th for anyone who actually wanted to play it....the 1million+ boxes sold estimate came on the 23rd....1 day after the grace period, but i never questioned this so what the hell are you talking about?

And if you put a lot of stock in what analysts say, then you would also take note of the most recent analyst who mentioned they believe EA will be profitable, recoup their investment, and make a hefty chunk of money within their first month of release.    Faux numbers can work in favor of anyone you want them to,  again, its only EA that knows for sure.

Again....please link lol, if EA is going to make any profit off of TOR it wont be till holiday season of 2012....

Which is why this threa is ridiculous in the end... the OP makes no sense, and nothing has been proven right,  and only what EA has released as fact (stating that 300 million is far beyond anything that was spent) has been dismissed by people who are apparently physically and mentally hurt that this game is successful.   The questions shouldn't be on the thinly veiled attempt to jab SWTOR... but why the same people here can't let a successful game, have its success.

300 in most likely not the number but neither is 80...and again let me state i could give a shit if TOR flops or succeeds...my post isnt a jab at TOR...its just an attempt to gauge EA's Losses at launch and through most of 2012...Even if the boxes sold number is 1.5 mill (which it isnt) how many "Subs" so you think TOR will have after the first initial month? less than a million more than likely and even less after the 2nd month...EA is taking a loss unless something miraculous takes place...get over it.

For starters, heres the link and the quote:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-30-lucasarts-to-take-around-35-percent-of-old-republic-revenue-report

"The revenue split is around 35 per cent to LucasArts after EA earns back their investment. That means EA keeps most of the revenue from disc sales (they have marketing expenses and need to staff up the server farms), so they should earn a nice profit there.

Seems you're out of touch with what the "Analysts" say.  At the end of the day you're just theorycrafting anyways, with less information then what the analysts have.  What we do know is that Star Wars said to investors specifically that the budget was 150 million, and that the budget wasn't reached.

On a side note,  had the cost of development been 80 million for SWTOR it would not have been the most expensive MMO to date,  in fact,  last I checked, no numbers were confirmed on how much was spent on Tabula Rasa, which some believed to have been roughly 100 million.

Again, the only ones who truly know the score are EA.  We can take what they say,  or not, but we have no way of knowing otherwise.. and the OP is obviously WAY off either way you look at it.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Please do link....all i have found on this topic is what is known and that is EA owes 33% of all revenue earned on TOR..sounds like talking outta your ass trying to defend EA...

Kottick is not affiliated with EA in any way, he has zero insight in funding and deals EA has made. In other words, he is clueless.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-30-lucasarts-to-take-around-35-percent-of-old-republic-revenue-report

I would be personally surprised if the budget for the game exceeded 150M, 100M - 120M is what I would expect because that is the very edge for return value.

As for sales and subscribers. The announced 1 million or close to, was just NA pre-orders. Then there was 1M mark of active subscriptions reached about 2 days since launch. How many is it now? 1.1M? 2M? 3, 4M? Who knows...

Your 'attempts at gauging' are absolutely meaningless as you have no data you could come from.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

its funny the game of haters has switch from WoW to Swtor,  what goes around comes around.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Official word is that SWTOR budget was 150 million.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Fir3line

I freaking love the fanboys claiming one million subs on the first week, when the game forces you to put down a sub plan to enjoy the 30 days.

Lets wait till the end of the 30days and see if the song if the same shall we?

Fucking moronic

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

No, you don't :)

The poster you quoted is very correct. And of course, EA, being the shady, slimy company that it is -- is manipulating marketing to dupe potential and current customers. Not that there is anything bad with that - EA are great salespeople! 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171

Originally posted by pharazonic

Originally posted by Fir3line

I freaking love the fanboys claiming one million subs on the first week, when the game forces you to put down a sub plan to enjoy the 30 days.

Lets wait till the end of the 30days and see if the song if the same shall we?

Fucking moronic

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

No, you don't :)

The poster you quoted is very correct. And of course, EA, being the shady, slimy company that it is -- is manipulating marketing to dupe potential and current customers. Not that there is anything bad with that - EA are great salespeople! 

Dupe them into doing what, exactly? Pretending they like the game when they really don't?  And it isn't the fanboys claiming a million "subscriptions" that came straight from the mouth of EA, so no.. the poster isn't correct.  He is... how would you say it..... ... mistaken.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by Gdemami

Please do link....all i have found on this topic is what is known and that is EA owes 33% of all revenue earned on TOR..sounds like talking outta your ass trying to defend EA...

Kottick is not affiliated with EA in any way, he has zero insight in funding and deals EA has made. In other words, he is clueless.

I would be personally surprised if the budget for the game exceeded 150M, 100M - 120M is what I would expect because that is the very edge for return value.

As for sales and subscribers. The announced 1 million or close to, was just NA pre-orders. Then there was 1M mark of active subscriptions reached about 2 days since launch. How many is it now? 1.1M? 2M? 3, 4M? Who knows...

Your 'attempts at gauging' are absolutely meaningless as you have no data you could come from.

Lets use number we do know...EA/BW claimed they had over 1 million subs, not 2 million and not 1.5....over 1 million subs, they didnt specify that it was NA only so im gonna go ahead and assume they meant globaly if thats alright with you?

OK....so a budget nearing 150M....im gonna go with what "EA told its investors" if thats also ok with you?

Cool...so as soon as EA gets outta the red on production cost they have to dish out 35% to LA...We ok here? were still good right?

OK...By the time EA gets it money back this games not going to be nearly as profitable as it is now,case closed,end of story and if your gonna rebuttal on that last statement please do it in "is this game really that bad" thread, 

i dont care to get into a lightsaber duel with you guys, just stating my opinion that 35% is bad buisness and in retrospect very desperate of them just to have a wow counter which we all know it isnt...and to think they coulda done a mass effect mmo and not have been held at gunpoint every month by LA.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

I second this...

1. EA announced : 1 million accounts created.

- Now if i know anything about press releases, you always choose best words.

So if for example your horse comes at 9th place , you press release says : " Among 10 fastest "

So... 1 million is 1 million and not more than that.

2. One million at launch + christmas + Star Wars franchise = poor (just reminding you that Rift sold the same in first week)

3.Let say the sales double by some miracle , its still not even close to 150 millions invested *or more. And with 35% to Lucasarts...

The only one profiting here is Lucas,

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Lets use number we do know...EA/BW claimed they had over 1 million subs, not 2 million and not 1.5....over 1 million subs, they didnt specify that it was NA only so im gonna go ahead and assume they meant globaly if thats alright with you?

OK....so a budget nearing 150M....im gonna go with what "EA told its investors" if thats also ok with you?

Cool...so as soon as EA gets outta the red on production cost they have to dish out 35% to LA...We ok here? were still good right?

OK...By the time EA gets it money back this games not going to be nearly as profitable as it is now,case closed,end of story and if your gonna rebuttal on that last statement please do it in "is this game really that bad" thread, 

i dont care to get into a lightsaber duel with you guys, just stating my opinion that 35% is bad buisness and in retrospect very desperate of them just to have a wow counter which we all know it isnt...and to think they coulda done a mass effect mmo and not have been held at gunpoint every month by LA.

I agree that they should have gone for ME instead, or even better: Baldurs gate. 

And it wont be a cash cow the way Wow have been, but I honestly don't think any MMO ever will earn sums like that in the future. Not even Titan, only slim possibility is Wow 2.

But I do think they will get back the investment and some earnings never the less. It will surely take 2-3 years to get the money back, but MMOs are long term projects anyways.

EALouse were upset about losing his job due to incompetence of Mythic and EA, but TOR is a better game then he said it was. It wont be the next Wow but it will be larger than Rift (or whatever is the number 2 P2P game right now).

Nope, it is not alright as this is crucial point.

All you could achieve here is to wage a state of the finance at the point of 2 days after launch which is very much meaningless.

Whether 35% dues are bad deal solely depends on their subscriber numbers after the development costs pays off.

As EA said, they consider SWTOR to be very profitable with 500k subs and 350k to 'break even'. Until any subscriber numbers are released after first 30 days, there is no point nor ground discussing the topic. And even then, all you could say will be whether current numbers met or not their expectations.

Originally posted by Loke666

But I do think they will get back the investment and some earnings never the less. It will surely take 2-3 years to get the money back, but MMOs are long term projects anyways.

Huh?

Just 2 days from launch they made at least 60M USD, which can be about half/third of their investments.

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

I do not know about you guys but I think the OPs name sez it all - FONY!

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

I dunno, I see the official news (see link below) and it sure doesn't look like its a flop to me. I mean I could agree with the OP if any of it was actually coming true the way they said it would. I guess I could look at all the opinions which had been said in forum posts over the years from people who didnt really know any facts, and base my facts off thier fact, which were based off the facts someone made up 2 weeks earlier to get a rise on an internet gaming forum. Nah..I'll stick with the real facts thank you.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20111226005040/en/Momentum-Surges-Star-Wars-Republic-Holidays

Of course if you prefer forum goer facts, I personally killed 1.4 billion of those NPCs on Christmas Day, all by myself.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I second this...

So if for example your horse comes at 9th place , you press release says : " Among 10 fastest "

2. One million at launch + christmas + Star Wars franchise = poor (just reminding you that Rift sold the same in first week)

3.Let say the sales double by some miracle , its still not even close to 150 millions invested *or more. And with 35% to Lucasarts...

Lol where do you get your information rift sold around 292k box copies in the first 10 weeks haha. http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/49494/rift/ come on man atleast look up info before post random stuff haha. Actually don't stop making things up bro your posts are comdey gold!

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by Guileplayer

I second this...

Lol where do you get your information rift sold around 292k box copies in the first 10 weeks haha. http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/49494/rift/ come on man atleast look up info before post random stuff haha. Actually don't stop making things up bro your posts are comdey gold!

ur link is just as good as xfire smart boy.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

Originally posted by Guileplayer

I second this...

ur link is just as good as xfire smart boy.

Don't worry. I got this.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/07/rift-approaching-the-one-million-sell-through-mark/2

Yeah, thats an article from June. Rift APPROACHING the one million sell through mark. Sell through means it was actually sold to a customer, not just to a retailer.  

Rift came out in March.  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• EnoshEnosh Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by dubyahite

Don't worry. I got this.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/07/rift-approaching-the-one-million-sell-through-mark/2

Yeah, thats an article from June. Rift APPROACHING the one million sell through mark. Sell through means it was actually sold to a customer, not just to a retailer.  

Rift came out in March.  

logic and facts?

get the fuck out of here, this is a place to bash TOR and post hyperbole along with unsourced and false information!

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Lets say, that EA Loco was right.  Let's go with his numbers and say that it cost $300 mil  to make Tor.  And that $299 mil was basically spent on voice actors.  Then lets also say that Tor will be the biggest flop and cluster human centipede that ever came down the pike.  Lets go further and say that in 6 months, it will be f2p with cash shops.  Does it make you giddy? Are you smiling like the Cheshire Cat?

Let us go further down the delusional rabbit hole then shall we?  After such a dismal failure, all future investors suddenly realize that backing any MMO is too damn risky, and thus not worth the trouble.  There goes backing for all the new little shineys on the horizon.  Anet, NCsoft, Turbine, Funcom, Trion, etc, etc.  I don't mention Blizzard cause well, they've made their money already, and can pretty much back themselves....unless Activision says no, then they too are screwed.  So there goes the MMO market budget, and thus, there goes the games on the MMO market, again except Blizzard, they have their money, sort of.

Now nobody can look for investors to develop the new Harry Potter MMO that all you sandboxers have been looking forward to, all you japanime fans might be spared, them developers make a game that has fuzzy cat eared dudes in thongs whose only point is to play some bastardization of volleyball and soccer, and you'll go apeshite over it and claim it as the best damn game to come out since that last one where the dudes had fuzzy dog ears...in thongs.

And so there it is, we're left with f2p cash shops, dudes with fuzzy cat ears and thongs, and WoW's next expansion, pokemon and Panda Express, fully voiced however, by Jack Black, cause well...it worked for Tor for 6 months.

Does that about sum up how it should go? I mean with all the leaps of *cough* logic *cough* happening, that's the only path it could go, and anyone who says otherwise is simply a fanboi hater who trolls, flame wars...or something...

/end rant
    /Sarcasm = 0

It's the middle of my day, I haven't had coffee, and that's what this thread brought to mind.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

I second this...

Did you actually look up ANYTHING before you posted?

1)  It will be interesting to see updated figures.  On the 20th there were 24 servers at 'light'  Last night there were 7.  My guesses are as good as yours.

2)  Rift took 3 months to reach 1 million units sold (and that's a direct quote from the Trion team)

3)  LA gets nothing until the initial investment is recouped.  They don't 'profit' until EA/Bioware have paid off the expenses.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Blasphim

Lets say, that EA Loco was right.  Let's go with his numbers and say that it cost $300 mil  to make Tor.  And that $299 mil was basically spent on voice actors.  Then lets also say that Tor will be the biggest flop and cluster human centipede that ever came down the pike.  Lets go further and say that in 6 months, it will be f2p with cash shops.  Does it make you giddy? Are you smiling like the Cheshire Cat?

Let us go further down the delusional rabbit hole then shall we?  After such a dismal failure, all future investors suddenly realize that backing any MMO is too damn risky, and thus not worth the trouble.  There goes backing for all the new little shineys on the horizon.  Anet, NCsoft, Turbine, Funcom, Trion, etc, etc.  I don't mention Blizzard cause well, they've made their money already, and can pretty much back themselves....unless Activision says no, then they too are screwed.  So there goes the MMO market budget, and thus, there goes the games on the MMO market, again except Blizzard, they have their money, sort of.

Now nobody can look for investors to develop the new Harry Potter MMO that all you sandboxers have been looking forward to, all you japanime fans might be spared, them developers make a game that has fuzzy cat eared dudes in thongs whose only point is to play some bastardization of volleyball and soccer, and you'll go apeshite over it and claim it as the best damn game to come out since that last one where the dudes had fuzzy dog ears...in thongs.

And so there it is, we're left with f2p cash shops, dudes with fuzzy cat ears and thongs, and WoW's next expansion, pokemon and Panda Express, fully voiced however, by Jack Black, cause well...it worked for Tor for 6 months.

Does that about sum up how it should go? I mean with all the leaps of *cough* logic *cough* happening, that's the only path it could go, and anyone who says otherwise is simply a fanboi hater who trolls, flame wars...or something...

/end rant

/Sarcasm = 0

It's the middle of my day, I haven't had coffee, and that's what this thread brought to mind.

Can you tell me what the mmo with dudes with cat-ears and thongs is called?

Its relevant to my interests.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by AdamTM

/end rant

/Sarcasm = 0

Second Life

Sociolotron

Utherverse

and, in certain circles, Red Light Center

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Loktofeit

/end rant

/Sarcasm = 0

Second Life

Sociolotron

Utherverse

Amazing, thanks

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by Loktofeit

/end rant

/Sarcasm = 0

Second Life

Sociolotron

Utherverse

Amazing, thanks

lol simply disturbing