Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can admit when i'm wrong, can you? A New King Crowned? (Poll)

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

i found the gameplay was only minorly changed. afew cute little shticks but in the end not that much different. dont get me wrong, this is probubly Tied for The best if not owning the spot of best, MMO on the market. but thats like saying (and i've used this alot) im the tallest Midget. thats great, but really it means nothing.

Its the best MMORPG to be released in a genre that hasnt hit high quality yet.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• bdewbdew Member UncommonPosts: 192

It has a strong start, and all the potential to become the new king.

It's all in bioware's hands now, if they play their cards right, and don't mess up - this game will be the beginning of a new age.

• GamecriticGamecritic Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by bdew

It's all in bioware's hands now, if they play their cards right, and don't mess up - this game will be the beginning of a new age.

New age to what? books and movies that become MMOs what you expect next twilight saga MMO Harry potter MMO? What new age is this going to bring?

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

lol your poll says it all. Dude it just came out and who cares any more. World of Warcraft is and will always be the best mmo. Even it it died it was and will be the best. No other mmo will ever have the success Blizard had. The mmo came out 2004 the graphics are dated yet millions still play. SWTOR 7 years from now then come back and talk. 

But I dont think we will be playing online much longer. Enjoy why you can. Look out side LOOKS like a storm coming..

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

It's more like a fledgeling prince which has the potential to mature into becoming king. There are many features in the game that make it really fun and well worth the attention of anyone who doesn't hate theme park MMOs. It's a good game, probably the best star wars game ever made but it doesn't feel like a fully fledged MMO just yet. It's up to Bioware on how they progress it but it needs quite a bit of work before it even begins to make a case for King of the MMOs title.

Originally posted by Gamecritic

Originally posted by bdew

New age to what? books and movies that become MMOs what you expect next twilight saga MMO Harry potter MMO? What new age is this going to bring?

Loaded questions much?

Proper storytelling is something that should have been in MMORPGs since 97, it took just 15 years for someone actually manage to that.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

SWTOR, the kings jesters cousin of MMOs

Noone cares about the story in mmos we were done with strory telling at  8 years old. If I want a story ill buy a book not play a game. I want action, great raids and massive PvP battles, unique battlegrounds. SWTOR does not bring this to the table noone of the MMOs currently out do...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

TOR is neither king nor beggar,

Baron or something maybe. But we wont truly know until after a while.

Most MMOs never get back the number of subs it have the first month after launch, if TOR can do that it is surely a "noble" at least. If not it will be in company with Rift, Aion and the rest of them commoners.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Noone cares about the story in mmos we were done with strory telling at  8 years old. If I want a story ill buy a book not play a game. I want action, great raids and massive PvP battles, unique battlegrounds. SWTOR does not bring this to the table noone of the MMOs currently out do...

The problem is the word "I".

TOR is made for Bioware fans and they like story. If you want massive action you probably should wait for GW2 instead, but that doesn't make TOR a bad game, just not your type.

I can admit that the cut scenes is too much for my taste as well, but I can admit that my feelings for Bioware have cooled down a lot since Neverwinter nights (which still is a great game). TOR is made for anyone who like ME and DA.

The great thing about SWTOR is that it still has action, raids, massive open world pvp battles and pretty darn fun battlegrounds.

But if your hate for story blinds you enough to not be able to see it, you may be better off playing CS or something.

I can see this game keeping a certain type of player base but thats it. The PVP won't be any good as usual the same mistakes will be made with balance and afkers and all that stuff.l... The Chinese will invade and bot and gold farm and all the game will have left is the story, just like WoW. 

I want to see a decently develped MMO for a change something unique and brilliant in every aspect!!! I am sick to death of these generic games. 

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

How could it be the King? It's nowhere near the 800-pound gorilla in MMO country, and it probably never will be. It's a story or two and the rest gets really thin for most players. I don't see how this is going to maintain subs for any reasonable amount of time. The next few months will be do or die for EA/BioWare. I hope they manage at least a modest succes with this title, but the longevity does not feel strong in this one.

imageimage
  • ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

King? It's more like the young boys runing around picking up dog poo on the streets back in 1600 or so. image

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Originally posted by Divion

The game -is- a themepark sure, and yes nothing exactily ground breaking is taking place, but i do feel like it will do a good job of filling in the role that World of Warcraft filled.

Lol sure by all means, let it fill the 'role' WoW had xD It's not really a compliment in my book. WoW was a joke that ruined Blizzards clean reputation. Although one could argue they already lost it with Diablo 2. Anyway TOR always aimed at being the 'second WoW', the game that is a clone of other games, looks horrible, lacks any depth - and yet is immensly popular with the masses. Long live the new puppet king of junk gaming!

The real question is when will a worthy king come along. MMO's didn't have one in a very long, long time. Perhaps it will be GW2, or something else, I just hope the wait won't take years.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by gladosrev2

Originally posted by Divion

The game -is- a themepark sure, and yes nothing exactily ground breaking is taking place, but i do feel like it will do a good job of filling in the role that World of Warcraft filled.

Lol sure by all means, let it fill the 'role' WoW had xD It's not really a compliment in my book. WoW was a joke that ruined Blizzards clean reputation. Although one could argue they already lost it with Diablo 2. 

I don't know about Blizzard's reputation. I am still pretty much excited about all of their upcoming games. I hear so many people saying crap about Blizzard's game (and all of them progressively go back in time to point out when BLizzard's alleged decline in quality started. E.g. you think Diablo 2 was not as good as Blizzard's previous games?)

But then again Blizzard release a new game and it's fun as hell to play. It may be simplistic but it's fun. I loved the warcraft series, I loved Starcraft 1, I loved DIablo 1, then Diablo 2, then World of Warcraft (I am not sure which I played more - WoW or D2...), then Starcraft 2 was super amazing.

On topic, I am not convinced just yet. Lets see how the game fares in 1-3 months. 

Also if WoW drops to 1m subs ( I doubt this will happen soon tbh) and an MMO X "dethrones" WoW by reaching 2m, this still doesn't make MMO X the best MMO of all time.

Until an MMO reaches WOW's milestones of 12m (?), it will remain the most successful MMO of all time.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

*rolls eyes at the proclaimed "New King MMO"*

This has been settled a long time ago with countless "WoW Killers" that it is gonna take something BIG and REVOLUTIONARY to take over WoW's seat in the MMO market.  Which neither does SWTOR fulfill as it is too similar to WoW.  Blizzard has done time after time after time again of taking advantage of the market trends and working that into their benefit. 

If anything is gonna take it's place it will be the "Titan" project which they are not fooling round with considering that their top Devs are on that team and they proclaimed it as "eclipsing WoW."

• LittlebombLittlebomb Member Posts: 152

I hit level 35 tonight on my shadow and no this game will not be the king of mmo's for more than 6 month's top's. The game is going to have a slightly more succesful life than RIFT.

I'm going to sub for 3 months and enjoy the pvp until the horrible ability lag drives me nuts. 

It's almost as if the lead design team has never played  a mmo. They put so much emphasis onto the story that the core mechanics are unfinished.

The UI and general quality of the game at launch makes RIFT's launch look like a gold god ontop of  a mountain being illuminated with golden light.

It's not that it's a bad game as much as it's unfinished. From excessive load times to Raid UI frames not updating there are very key issues that should not have even been released into a modern mmo. Rift proved that bugs and rigid gameplay does not need to be standard on release. The excuse that it's a new game is not enough anymore. the competition is too strong now days for that excuse.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I title this composition "The Return Of The King"

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

A game with zero lasting appeal (in an MMORPG, wtf were devs thinking?) can hardly be called "king".

Also, if people want to experience a different story, well then just youtube the cutscene dialogs. Saves you 15/month.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by AdamTM

BAHAHAHAHA, LOVE IT!

Especially "WoW'... ROFL. Good one! image

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

I don't remember the last time i saw something this funny on these forums, well done sir, well done!

• TyratopsTyratops Member Posts: 98

I was wrong, I shouldn't have given this thread a chance.  Give the wow-killer shit a rest please.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar

I don't remember the last time i saw something this funny on these forums, well done sir, well done!

Agreed, I literally lolled.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

You guys are hilarious no-one outside of MMO geekdom has ever heard of GW2, TSW and especially Archeage. The humungous wishful thinking you guys are doing is fantastic entertainment, putting up unknown quantities against the biggest IP on the planet is just delusion. I predict Archeage will takes years to get to the west, TSW will be interesting but probably unfinished and clunky and when Arenanet announced GW2 fully featured cash shop the crying will be heard from here to Alpha Centuri. But please keep it up I'm loving it I might write a few satire sketches with you lot as material, thanks.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.