Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can admit when i'm wrong, can you? A New King Crowned? (Poll)

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

I'm throwing in the towel -

For several years i waited for Star Wars like a fat kid watching a cake baking.

When i tried the beta i walked away angry, dissapointed, and out-right concerned for the industry.

After my League of Legends account was PERMA-BANNED (WTF?) - and i lost 200 bucks i invested into that game, i was at an impass of boredom, so i decided to bite the bullet.

I'm glad i did -

No the game still didn't live up to -ALL- my expectations, but now that i've put in more time, started my own successful RP guild - i'm finding the features, and the enviroment much more enjoyable - and addictive.

I understand there is some strong quams as to the game's end game -- I'll deal with that when i get there --

But as it seem i was wrong, what about you? Twice.

How did the game actually go as far as your expectations? If you were dissapointed did you give it a 2nd chance?

The game -is- a themepark sure, and yes nothing exactily ground breaking is taking place, but i do feel like it will do a good job of filling in the role that World of Warcraft filled.

The question is - for how long?

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

it seems you have plenty of experience with disappointment... i don't see that changing just yet image

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Its too early to say this is the king of MMO's. there are plenty of games yet to be released before anything can be named "King". im pretty sure WoW will be dethroned, but dont jump to SWTOR just because it was the first relesed.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I was luke warm on the game until I got into beta this summer. I had planned to play through once for the story and give it up. I figure that since I was in beta I could see the stories without buying the game (while still being a good teste and providing feedback) but it sucked me in and I preordered when it became available.

I really didt think I would care about another themepark, but this one really changed my mind.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

i did the betas, was fun, Then i seen Rage onsale, and bought it instead, I do not regret  not wanting swtor, but its the same old recycled crap laying about, Sure they did a good job making it, but i want new, not the beat up chick down the road whose been to every bed in the state ^^

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I got bored quite quickly. No, it's not a King, not even a Prince for me.

It'll be really popular until the next big MMO comes out and the MMO-hoppers switch there.

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Originally posted by Phry

it seems you have plenty of experience with disappointment... i don't see that changing just yet image

Well, that was rather rude.

• SWTOR.CORPGSWTOR.CORPG Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by tom_gore

I got bored quite quickly. No, it's not a King, not even a Prince for me.

It'll be really popular until the next big MMO comes out and the MMO-hoppers switch there.

True...which are clearly ~70% of the mmorpg enthusiasts that bail on homoginized, boring, dumbed-down corpgs from 3-6 months out.

There is absolutely no organic massively-multiplayer content, features or game-play that pushes this corpg into the realm of massively-multiplayer, unless one's definition is soloing 80% game-play with the linear, predictable static same'ol kill 10-rats or currier missions from supposed mmo's past, and 10% playing the same 4-player flashpoints ad-nauseum over and over and over again, or the same show-box mini-map 10 vs 10 meaningless factional thied-person shooter game-play of controll points or capture the flag over and over again ad-nauseum.

Maybe, just maybe Illum will be massively-multiplayer of 50-100 players compelled to play cooperative and competitively with and against a mass of players for some unknown and unrecognized factional entertainment value winners are recognizably rewarded.  Maybe. . .but again, that just might amount to 10% game-play being massively-multiplayer while the other 90% is group or solo queueing for a flashpoint or warzone while their playing-out their cinematic single-player KOTOR entertainment for $15/month.

Its a forum, if somone can say something without taking in any form of reprecussion they will say it.

look up the Penny arcade Internet Dickwad Theory. its in full effect across the internet.

I stand by my previous statement. Too early too tell. wait till the rest of the line up gets released.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think its far from a king..

I think the next 'king' will be an MMO that brings a new approach.An MMO that is refreshing and new to us,an MMO that breathes life into the genre and actually moves it forward instead of helping it stagnate further.

By the look of things, TSW and Archage are the only 2 that fit that catagory well. and honestly, i really dont know enough about archage to make the judgement.

Because i can.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Like you I once was a nerd, then i took a woman on her knees while playing a handheld.

First that doesnt apply to me. Second, Pfft, being a nerd and geeky is fun. do what you enjoy, not what a full of themselves Forum poster tells you that you should be doing.

Because i can.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Your story is applicable to every themepark MMO there ever was. 

I am 100% serious: if some one created a community that they could insulate themselves in with some broad focus (such as RP), any themepark out there is fun - WoW, RIF, even AoC all offer plenty of content to keep the players busy. 

The only thing is - none of those MMOs are new so SWTOR wins in that factor. Every planet is unfamiliar, the quests are unknown, the dungeons are unexplored. 

So by that logic all MMOs are the king of MMOs.

On a slightly different note, I find it funny that 7 days into releasse and people have to give it "a second chance". 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Hardly. SWTOR is merely an adequate MMO with some excellent voice acted story quests. Once people burn through those they will be back at what they've done for the last several years, raiding, heroic dungeon pugging, and canned PVPing. Wow has long proven itself to be the addiction of choice in that department.

I'm afraid SWTOR is destined to live out its life like Prince Charles. Watching its youthful exuberence vanish into the past, permanently eclipsed by the shadow of the Old Girl that while admittedly long in the tooth,  just never seems to die.

Imitation may win a company a slice of the pie, sometimes even a quite large slice, but it will never deliver the crown and the ring.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Your bashing my brains in with this stuff tard, lol!

From where I stand, Im loving this game alot.  Questing is on a new level with swtor that I havent goton the chance to do in any other game in a long time.  I played wow prob more then 99% of players during vanilla but was sad to see vanilla turn into something different.  I cant see any type of correlation between the two though, honestly coming from a hardcore gamer, all I see is Wow on oneside, and a compleatly different expierence in SWTOR on the other, there is no inbetween bullshit clone this or go kill x quests the same that.  I cant make any type of similarities from my hardcore player standpoint, but Im not compleatly burned out on Wow either, I havent played it much since Vanilla, although I do have all the Xpacs and have played them all just not like vanilla.

• StofftierStofftier Member Posts: 93

i would rather buy another lol acount for 200 bucks before even considering buying swtor

yes i played beta very early stage invite

another question is on what did you spend 200 bucks on lol there is not even enough stuff for it except you buyed all

complete useless skins then maybe

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Tardcore

Hardly. SWTOR is merely an adequate MMO with some excellent voice acted story quests. Once people burn through those they will be back at what they've done for the last several years, raiding, heroic dungeon pugging, and canned PVPing. Wow has long proven itself to be the addiction of choice in that department.

I'm afraid SWTOR is destined to live out its life like Prince Charles. Watching its youthful exuberence vanish into the past, permanently eclipsed by the shadow of the Old Girl that while admittedly long in the tooth,  just never seems to die.

Imitation may win a company a slice of the pie, sometimes even a quite large slice, but it will never deliver the crown and the ring.

hmm, prince charles also appears to have questionable eyesight.. anyone who would play away with camilla when they had a diana at home needs their eyes tested.... image

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Personally, it's a matter of choosing my themepark skin. I've played WoW enough, though I do prefer science fiction, so when forced to choose between the two games I'd probably choose the one with laser guns and lightsabers. That's just a preference, and really the only distinction or justification I can come up with for reasons to play TOR rather than WoW, or RIFT. It feels that similar to me, like playing an FPS with a custom skin and texture pack.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• GamecriticGamecritic Member Posts: 34

Take of your SW Tee and wash the stains out of it. Then use your sleeve to wipe the steam from your thick round glasses and brush the curls out your greasy hair. If you stop looking like a SW fan then maybe you would realize that there is girls to be had in this world! 

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Tardcore

MW3 wants to discuss that whole imitation will never deliver the crown and ring thing with you.

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

I HATE polls like this, two answers for NO and one answer for YES. Tries to make the YES look good.

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335
    I never had any expectations for SWTOR beside my understanding and knowledge of the advertised 4 th pilar (story) i knew back then it was stupid and i know now it is stupid. The game is exactly like i expected.
  • wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

You're wrong right now, dear TC. SWTOR is so bad it's actually worse than Aion and I didn't think this was even possible.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

see there is a difference in idea and Execution.

Good Idea, Use story to immerse players deeper into a game.

Bad Idea, use that Story as a crutch.

Because i can.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by LadyNoh

see there is a difference in idea and Execution.

Good Idea, Use story to immerse players deeper into a game.

Bad Idea, use that Story as a crutch.

Luckily, Bioware doesn't use story as a crutch, since I find the gameplay to be very fun.