Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trouble with the Frankenstein type guys...

trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222
The Vahziolak or something or other.

Basically pretty much on every character I have, the zombies vomit really does a lot of damage.

Fighting 3 is okay (though I am usually reduced to half my hit points) but somethings when the groups of mobs overlap, I have to fight 6, which results in a trip to the hospital. (Even using all the inspirations I'm carrying)

Any tips against these things? I have tried to avoid them, but right now I have a mission arc from a contact I am about 1/3 of the way through and would like to finish.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Comments

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Actually, the same sort of applies to those Hydra things. I'm playing a 5th level character against them now in an AE arc, and I'm taking a lot of damage from their spit (but conversely, I'm not getting much xp)

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

Toxic damage is rare, which is why toxic resistance is rare as well.  I do not think typed or position defenses will do any good against toxic damage if I remember correctly.

Basically, don't fight zombies if you don't have ways to deal with incoming damage (eg heals, resistance, etc).

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

What are your Archetype and powersets? It's hard to tell what's going wrong without knowing what you're playing. Post your build if possible.

The best general tip for fighting Vahzilok I've found is kill the humans (Mortifactors first, then Reavers). Once the humans are gone the "zombies" get real dumb and you can kite them to great effect.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I'm an altoholic (my highest character is 22 despite playing for 3 months now), but mostly I've played Brutes and Corruptors (I've tried blasters, but they are too fragile and have no self heal, really).

Brutes do very well against most things, but 4-5 of those zombies puking on them, and it's too much.

Corrupters can do okay when they have a lot of room and pick off mobs one at a time. But in the sewers that's really not possible.

And of course that catch with going after the Dr. first versus the zombies, is that some of them explode. If you don't get those first, you will take half your hit points or so when they blow up.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

There are a few ways to deal with unresistable or poorly resisted damage. One is crowd control, get either a dom or troller on the team. Second, have heals or regen. Some brutes/scrappers get some crowd control, mostly knockdowns.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Important points for fighting Vaz: lethal damage is more effective than crushing (the Clockwork are the reverse). The zombies with backpacks are the ones that explode. If one gets close, let it get into its build-up-to-detonation animation before you bug out. Time it right and they'll still blow. The blast don't damage their own side, but you get the cash and XP for the kill.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Regeneration and Fiery Aura Brutes do pretty well against Vahzilok since they have a heal that gives Toxic Resistance. You can activate the heal when you're not even damaged and the Toxic Resistance will stay on you for 2 minutes.

And just as the poster above me said, with a bit of practice dealing with Embalmed (the explody ones) is pretty easy. Just keep an eye on them and when they go into their "ima asplode" animation, jump away.

I'll also second the Dominators and Controllers comment he made. Damage type doesn't matter when they're not attacking due to being mezed. Note that the zombies are difficult to immobilize, though!

Let us know how your fights with the Vahzilok are going and good luck!

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Maybe its the fact that I have Dark Armor, but not only did I never have trouble with the Vahzilok, but they are one of the easiest enemy groups I have ever faced (again, probably because I use Dark Armor)

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353

Originally posted by OSF8759

What are your Archetype and powersets? It's hard to tell what's going wrong without knowing what you're playing. Post your build if possible.

The best general tip for fighting Vahzilok I've found is kill the humans (Mortifactors first, then Reavers). Once the humans are gone the "zombies" get real dumb and you can kite them to great effect.

Also, the Mortificators have a rez power. It's interruptible, but if your mob fight goes on for too long and you haven't taken out the Morts, they'll start rezzing Cadavers.

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

Vahzilok are one of the harder groups to fight at low levels (at least for my melee-heavy style) so I do my best to avoid them, but when I absolutely must fight them I always take out the Mortificators first, so they don't go reviving the corpses in the middle of a fight.  You can also anticipate when the big guys are going to spew, and get out of the way.  If you play a melee archetype, try to use your origin power to pull a group so you don't get stuck fighting two groups at once.

You can also recruit some other players to help, leave in the middle of the mission to get more inspirations, or get a few more levels then come back to the mission later.