Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prime is the sleeping giant

ApotheosApotheos Member Posts: 62

I've seen some negative comments about the name, the graphics based on screenshots, some about the publisher and assumptions related to a small company being able to deliver a high quality game, and some general naysaying, but I'm here to tell you that in my humble oppinion, PBG has a winner.

Prime has the perfect combination from an architectural standpoint to make a game FUN. With a dynamic crafting system which produces the best gear in the game, you can truely have a player driven economy especially when you consider gear decay. This tied into the fact that you have to PvP to get the resources for the best gear, forms a tight and symbiotic relationship between crafting and PvP. Add Bases and some of the other features to the mix, and you have a game that is going to be fun to play!

Will it be perfect? No. But it looks like it will be highly engaging and produce the "old school" MMO experience and feel.

I for one will be playing.

Apotheos

Comments

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

It will be a great game I think, especially for those of you like pvp and crafting, but sayings its a sleeping giant is a bit wrong I think. Mainly because their's already two giants walking around and bashing every other mmo on the head (gw2 and swtor).

I don't think it will topple these two games, there's just no way for prime unfortunately, because it's not AAA.  Does that mean it will do bad? I don't think so. I think it will do very good, in fact I think it has the potential to be another eve (which is a very sucessful game). Because it appeals to different type of mmo-er...the mere fact it's indie, it's pvp focused, and it doesn't have the same funding other games get (meaning less polish and available features, regardless if the features it does have are awesome), automatically is going to make this a niche game in a mmo market that will soon have a lot of high budget games (archage,tera,gw2,swtor, ect..)

But I still look foward to playing it,and I have confidence that it will bring some fun pvp regardless. Prime and gw2 next year for the price of one sub, gona be a fun year.

• ApotheosApotheos Member Posts: 62

Agree, it's going to be a fun game to play. I'm not saying its going to topple the "giants" in the industry, I'm merely pointing out that from a feature standpoint they are doing the right things. When I say "sleeping giant" I mean its under the radar and has a lot of potential. I'm not trying to predict subscriber numbers or success, just fun factor.

I tend to think that that as it gets more attention and old school PvP'ers tune in, it will become very popular.

Apotheos

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

this game seems to be everything that so many people are looking for.  The only thing i really can see bringing this game down is a bad launch and a lack of a playerbase.  Can't have a player driven economy without players.

Personally I can't wait.  I will be playing this as soon as i possibly can

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by hockeyplayr

this game seems to be everything that so many people are looking for.  The only thing i really can see bringing this game down is a bad launch and a lack of a playerbase.  Can't have a player driven economy without players.

Personally I can't wait.  I will be playing this as soon as i possibly can

I agree. The big thing they need is it to WORK. No major issues at launch and it will gain a stable following hype or not.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• oxydeoxyde Member UncommonPosts: 35

Also agree.  While i will play SWTOR  to pass the time and play with the wife (huge SW fan),  I will be watching and waiting for this game to release.  The added pvp bonus is lootable resources for me.  While I did enjoy Darkfall the full loot model got to be a bit much because I really disliked always having to make up new gear bags.  Prime seems like just the right amount of pvp looting to me for having a death penalty that will  have meaning without going to far. image

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

From what I've seen of the game....I wish I owned stock in the company.Looks like a signifigant winner to me.....SO FAR.

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

I can't wait until this game is released.   This game looks like it will get right what WAR failed at....becoming the real successor to DAOC.

• LiftyLifty Member Posts: 6

This game will do great things. Mark my words!

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

Been doing a bit more research on it lately and I agree. I'm excited to give it a go in December's closed beta.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    its a niche game nothing more for ppl who likes daoc and pvp/rvr. Majority of mmo players prefer pve grinding.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

its a niche game nothing more for ppl who likes daoc and pvp/rvr.

You necro-bumped a thread to just to state the obvious?  Really?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SpikeXSpikeX Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

its a niche game nothing more for ppl who likes daoc and pvp/rvr.

You necro-bumped a thread to just to state the obvious?  Really?

The thread was less than a month old and you responded just to troll.  Get over yourself.

• DarrgenDarrgen Member UncommonPosts: 65

While it wont be as big as swtor or gw2, it will be hugely successful. First of all it runs the same engine that swtor is built on. Secondly it is going a completely different direction than swtor is going in with the whole WoW clone issue. Sure it wont have the fancy voice overs or 300 million dollars worth of production but it will be DIFFERENT and FUN. DaoC proved the system is by far the best for an open world pvp game. The game just got left behind with outdated controls and clunky UI. Dominus is fixing these things and bringing you a game that will play as a true successor to DaoC. 

Players that hear about how good the pvp is once it's released will be sure to try it out. All I can hope for is that they stick around through the lower levels to experience truely epic faction based pvp.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Prime is a sleeping giant.It's also a nitch game,and thats ok. I see the game as DAOC 2.This game will start small and grow and grow from what I'v seen so far.I can't wait to play it.

It has RVR ,crafting and decision makers who really seem to understand DAOC and what makes great RVR(I can't recall I've said that about any other game developers).

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

There are too many PvP addicts. the world doesn't revolve around killing eachother. I love to roleplay and vanquish enemies but I don't go searching for a game based on OMG THEY ALLOW RVR BUT THE COMBAT SUCKS! I'M GOING TO GIVE THEM ALL MY MONEY. Apparently I'm very pissed up to now with the stupidity of the members whom decide to play a game based on this. I personally look for real games. You DO NOT make this game sound good by saying this, and therefore I'd prefer you pointed out ALL the features.

/rant

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Ok i'll jump in here but on another tac i was invited to test the then Prime which at the time was Pitch black beta test,so it was very basic and it was mainly a enviroment test which was even then very impressive.

Now as Dominus is useing the Hero engine and at the time of test SWTOR was hopefully the mythical successor to SWG-pre NGE,i had this engine with stunning vista's and total freeform movement in the enviroment been used to bring to life the Star wars IP:

So what the heck happened did Bioware actually use the engine,or just the design tools because if PB can get that kind of enviroment on a very early Alpha i think this will be a player in the market maybe niche but look out for this as it could suprise many.

p>
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by darker70

Ok i'll jump in here but on another tac i was invited to test the then Prime which at the time was Pitch black beta test,so it was very basic and it was mainly a enviroment test which was even then very impressive.

Now as Dominus is useing the Hero engine and at the time of test SWTOR was hopefully the mythical successor to SWG-pre NGE,i had this engine with stunning vista's and total freeform movement in the enviroment been used to bring to life the Star wars IP:

So what the heck happened did Bioware actually use the engine,or just the design tools because if PB can get that kind of enviroment on a very early Alpha i think this will be a player in the market maybe niche but look out for this as it could suprise many.

They say they used the engine but tweaked and changed it so much that it's a different animal now. 

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by Apotheos

I've seen some negative comments about the name, the graphics based on screenshots, some about the publisher and assumptions related to a small company being able to deliver a high quality game, and some general naysaying, but I'm here to tell you that in my humble oppinion, PBG has a winner.

Prime has the perfect combination from an architectural standpoint to make a game FUN. With a dynamic crafting system which produces the best gear in the game, you can truely have a player driven economy especially when you consider gear decay. This tied into the fact that you have to PvP to get the resources for the best gear, forms a tight and symbiotic relationship between crafting and PvP. Add Bases and some of the other features to the mix, and you have a game that is going to be fun to play!

Will it be perfect? No. But it looks like it will be highly engaging and produce the "old school" MMO experience and feel.

Did you remember darkfall?

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Originally posted by hikaru77

Yes but Pitchblack are not a virtual one man dev team who released a shoddy product and made promises at the time were impossible to keep.

These guys know their stuff  they are industry vets,and if i'm not mistaken were Daoc players so they have a idea and plan as to what they want to achieve, and pretty sure have substantial backing which helps.

And also u know there is something different about these Devs when they invited players to test the Alpha from these very forums which i think is kinda cool. image

p>
  • jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Originally posted by hikaru77

What does that have to do with pgb?  Darkfall devs barely had any experience(barely had any devs at that)  and built the game under horrible coding (it doesn't even have multi-thread support for cpus) and engine.  Then on top of that, the developers ignored buckets of exploits and cheats in beta, and eventually has gone on to allow most of them. And the game is also extremely grindy with ffa full loot.

Dominus on the other hand is a game built on a tried and true premise (daoc-esque rvr), with very limited resource looting, a good engine (same as swtor), good graphics, a more robust crafting system,  and an experienced developer team. It also sin't 100% focused on pvp, and if you want to avoid pvp, there will be that option for you as well with a pve component to the game(which doesn't exist in darkfall).

The quality being put into dominus may not be AAA because of money restraints, but it's not near as bad as darkfall's or Mortal Online's situations.  In Dominus's case, it has all the right pieces(experience, engine, user friendly/low grief systems) and now they just have to fall in place to make a moderately sized,  enjoyable niche game, which is all a lot of pvpers want...

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180
    All the giants are dead.
  • Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

small team nitche game nothing more, when GW2 and ArcheAge come out they will lose even more.

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63

I don't think GW2 is targetting the same niche at all that PBG is. If any other standard MMO out there doesn't take players away from Dominus, I don't see what GW2 will do differently to take people who want a good Faction Vs. Faction MMO. They are targeting a niche, yes, but I think that's smarter for a smaller company right now that doesn't have the resources to try to shove raiding and loads of other PvE content into a game in addition to great PvP. There are too many competitors right now for an all-encompassing MMO experience. On the other hand, no one else is putting out a FvFvF PvP game like Dominus.

Fans of DAoC will at least try it, and will stick with it if the PvP is good. Some people are OK with PvE taking the back seat for once.

• HalfmadHalfmad Mortal Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 83

Huge potential, I'll be enormously disappointed if it doesn't come out in a fairly polished state and hit the ground jogging, if not running.

I have been wrong in the past but as an enormous DAOC fan I'm crossing fingers, toes and everything else for Dominus!

• RobgmurRobgmur Member Posts: 322

This and SWTOR are the only two games that interest me.. and I'm not a very big SW fan.. Archage and GW2 can keep their fruity designs and cloned aspects.. I hope Dominus pulls through...looks very interesting.

*Corsair Obsidian Series 650D *i5-2500K OC'd ~ 4.5
    *Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mother board
    * Radeon HD 7970
    *8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    *240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III SSD