Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: When It's Done

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Some of the most frustrating words any gamer hears from developers: "It'll be released when it's finished". While those words may make sense in our heads, our hearts don't always follow suit. In today's Guild Wars 2 column, we look at those annoying words with regard to this most-anticipated title. Check it out and then let us know what you think in the comments.

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a normal work day and I had completed a few illustrations. I was taking a break to check and see what was going on in the world and that's when I saw the news, Guild Wars 2 was announced! I was super excited and so was the rest of the guild, as we discussed it during that same night while playing the first game. It was truly awesome news. As time went on, no news was given on the sequel. We waited and waited, when it seemed that we wouldn't hear any news at all, the gates of hope began to open. For the next couple of years we received news on gameplay mechanics, playable professions and races, but when we ask about a release date we only get one answer, when it's done.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: When It's Done.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

The "Vaporware Death Cult" should move on to this game. Seriously, is this game ever going to see release? Smoke and mirrors all around.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

It was already playable at several conventions and there are tons of interviews, more or less regular updates..you can even take directly the the devs via Twitter or IRC. Calling it vaporware just because they take their time, really?

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

The "Vaporware Death Cult" should move on to this game. Seriously, is this game ever going to see release? Smoke and mirrors all around.

Yes, when it's ready

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

They are getting just as bad as Blizzard when it comes to milking the development time. I want a good game but please, sometime this decade ?

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I loved playiing the demo, it really shone out as a brilliant new player experience, the rest of the game needs to follow suit, let them have all the time they need to make it so. Of course I'd love it if it was coming out very soon but I know I'll love it even more because when it's ready is when it needs to come out and not before.

• ashlov71ashlov71 Member Posts: 8

While I'm still excited to see this game go live, they're just starting to approach being another TERA in terms of making excuse after excuse for not releasing their game.  

If they don't go live by late winter-early spring, I think people are going to start caring less and less.

• iamconqueriamconquer Member UncommonPosts: 22

Patience is a virtue, but seriously it takes time to make a good game considering how many half assed companies rush theirs.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

It's published by NCSoft how can you call this vaporware??

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by ashlov71

While I'm still excited to see this game go live, they're just starting to approach being another TERA in terms of making excuse after excuse for not releasing their game.  

If they don't go live by late winter-early spring, I think people are going to start caring less and less.

Ummm...no.  People continue to play GW until GW2 releases, hell case n point is SWTOR.  How many times was it delayed?  3?  5?  7 times?  And still had enormous pre-orders.  People will not abandon the game simplely because of lack of release, they will simpely find a game to preoccupy  their time till then and once a release date is announced people will flock in droves.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I have SWTOR and Skyrim to keep me busy for a bit, so take your time GW2 and release when you are ***READY***.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

What matters most is if the game is good and plenty of people play it.

Seeing how many people still play Guild Wars 1 we expect continued support and additions to the game years down the line. It is better to have a completed game than a buggy mess that was released too early. The time you wait for this game is nothing compared to Blizzard games. (Annoucement in 2010 means release in 2015 probably)

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by EvilGeek

I loved playiing the demo, it really shone out as a brilliant new player experience, the rest of the game needs to follow suit, let them have all the time they need to make it so. Of course I'd love it if it was coming out very soon but I know I'll love it even more because when it's ready is when it needs to come out and not before.

I agree,having played twice over the last two years it was a great experiance.I think we are less than six months away from release so its count down really.The time scale is pretty standard now,i mean swtor started being made in december 2005.There are plenty of games to keep us busy.

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168

Can't believe there is people whining about Arenanet taking their time to make the game the best they can.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Mephster

They are getting just as bad as Blizzard when it comes to milking the development time. I want a good game but please, sometime this decade ?

Yeah, and look how that turned out for Blizzard? 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• KaledusKaledus Member Posts: 73

Doesn't anyone realize that they are in closed beta now? You'd think people would have don their research.. Obviously this game is making progress, especially since they "realistically" do have a time table set out for everyone, based off the information of previous articles.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

"when it's done" is the only way to go. real world is so much bigger than any game. there is plenty to do instead of waiting.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Wise move.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

arenanet is a quality company. conceptually this game sounds fantastic, I just hope they can pull off the execution

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

I personaly prefere to wait and hav e when is done release.

Look what happened to all these games that rushed to be pushed out.

FFXiv,rift,tor were all fails because they were rushed.The first glance of the game is the one that remains in most people eyes and if it's negative they may never return to that game.

Lets hope they release it when it's truly ready and not with missing things etc

• 3nimac3nimac Member UncommonPosts: 63

Dear mmorpg.com, maybe you want to restrict your in-article adverts to non-animated ones. I mean im trying to read this stuff and the stupid looping Deathwing if flailing his bright wings right in the dead center of the text and it's very distracting and annoying.

Anyway, as far as taking their time goes, i feel like the approach to stretch it as long as it needs is a double edged sword. A year ago, when details about the game were emerging in increasing quantity, i thought GW2 was breathtaking and impressive. But it's been over a year, close to two. I haven't played it obviosuly, but i feel like the game is already old. It's taking too long. It's getting stale as it's getting made.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I really don't think that Guild Wars 2 is very close to being done either.  I hope I'm wrong though.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

They can take all the time they need. So long as they get it right. They need not listne to the doomsayers. I highly doubt its going to turn into duke nukem forever. Takes forever and sucks big donkey ass when its released. Nope wont happen. It will at least be average. Most MMO's now come out average. Hopefully it will be above average but we will see eventually

My other reason for saying take all the time in the world is my gameing laptop died. This gateway with a core i3-370m, 4gig ddr3 ram, and Intel HD graphics wont even load it properly on lowest settings I'm sure lol. The longer they wait the longer I have to save the money for a new gaming laptop. Hoping to save for the Alienware m18x to take to work (yea its a beast but thats what backpacks are for) and it will easily make the game look awesome on my 42' 120hz hdtv :D

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

They actually are beta ready they just need to open the beta to the public it would 1: speed up the dev time by killing bugs faster and 2: allow people to see beyond the few first seconds of gameplay if the NDA is lifted because there are pleanty of youtube channels out there waiting for more footage. 3: it would allow them to balance pvp much easier then having 20 people play the  closed beta ever could. I want a polished game but when you don't have enough info being released then there's an issue and its like they suddenly shuttup right after closed beta time. Keep the info coming on classes on exploration and on non pve non pvp aspects of the game and it will keep people's interest. Just putting out when it's finished as a response is irresponsible.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by Zefire

FFXiv,rift,tor were all fails because they were rushed.The first glance of the game is the one that remains in most people eyes and if it's negative they may never return to that game.

Reality check time-Rift is by all accounts was polished and bug-free at launch, has made tons of money and has high subs, TOR tooks 5+ yrs to make, and u say it was rushed- polished, millions playing, etc. And they are fails? I don't play either game, but these kind of false comments seem to add nothing.

• Wasted my time reading this.