Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Challenge" ... this game can has it.

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I realy like that heroic and class quests are very hard.

I can understand that some people need to be a few levels higher to complete those quests or start whining they are to hard.

I do mostly pvp and i love it.

Got a few alts and when i queue up for a Warzone and meet players many many levels higher then me i always try to beat them.

Sometimes i molest them and some times i get asskicked hard :)

For a new kid on the block SWTOR is doing better then i was expecting.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by LadyNoh

SWTOR... Challanging. seriously, i was soloing heroic quests through the majority of it.

Was that in beta? Because I was in beta and have noticed quite a few changes since buying the released version.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Definitely. I remember thinking in beta that it was too easy, then they tuned everything up and it got much harder.

Love it.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• crusher143crusher143 Member UncommonPosts: 198

Iam also lvl33 now on my Inquisitor - Sorceres and this game is pretty easy so far. Sure harder than WoWs questing or mob killing but still very easy. I think I just died once cause doing a 2+ hero Quest on Tatooine alone. And that only because Ive killed 3 golden Stars, didnt have alot of life, looted the stuff I had to for the quest and there another golden stars appeared lol =).

Maybe this is different for other classes, I also have a lvl28 Sniper but Iam playing that char with my friend so can´t really comment on him much for solo.

As Inquisitor it seems pretty OP so far I have to say, I have a shield, good heals, knochback and 2 stuns in PvE and if things go somehow wrong you have an instant CC for 3 mobs ... pretty OP :/.

Also since Iam not using anymore Khem Vhal for tanking but instead my DD Companion it´s so much easier and faster to kill stuff. My AoE knockback mostly is enough to kill all the mobs or nearly so mostly we are at full health. The ones that are still living will get a stun then lol, pretty OP.

Ive found Aion to be "harder" than this to kill stuff. You really had to stand on your toes as a sorc class or die easily even from normal mobs.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by DarkPony

Glad to read that some people have very similar experiences :)

I play BH and at lvl 30 i couldn't finish my class quest in Tatooine. I was handed my ass on platter several times by the elite, i had to ask for help from guildmate. I wasn't really expecting it and Mako was completely useless in healing me.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by onthestick

Glad to read that some people have very similar experiences :)

I play BH and at lvl 30 i couldn't finish my class quest in Tatooine. I was handed my ass on platter several times by the elite, i had to ask for help from guildmate. I wasn't really expecting it and Mako was completely useless in healing me.

Heh onthestick, I know the one you mean. Bad enough to have an elite to take down, but when they have a strong with them and they both outlevel you it ain't fun. Had a heck of a time with that myself on my BH towards the end of testing. Tatooine is not kind to Bounty Hunters, elite plus strong after that hammer hitting elite previously.

On the OP (Hey Pony!), that fight was tough, but epic. I had to run away and level up too. It was doable then, but by the skin of my teeth really. Loved every second of it.

As Dubyahite said, some of these chapter-ends were a LOT easier in testing. The last build (the one with all the big testing weekends) was when they ramped it up. Places like Belsavis were always gold and strong mob dense, but they've made it so you meet the challenge earlier and at more memorable times. I think it works really well.

Epic story is great, but epic story + tough fight that requires knowledge of your class and use of tactics is even better, in my book. I know I won't forget what I had to do on the Artus station for a long time, and I really felt I'd achieved something afterwards (which I know, it's a game, not a 'real' achievement) like when I beat out Manic Miner on my ZX Spectrum as a kid with no save games possible. Same 'Oh yeah!' feeling.

I get what Quizzical is asking, and tbh I'm not sure that (for agents anyway, Pony can probably reinforce this) that levelling up past that boss in particular and gearing up would allow you to faceroll it. The fight needs tactical awareness, and would still unless you hideously outlevel the boss (by that I mean closing out chapter 1 in the late 30s as opposed to the early 30s) which it seems unlikely to me that many would. Sure, they could...but isn't that true of any game? I guess for folks who don't like a challenge that will always be a way to avoid or at least mitigate it (in level-based games anyhow). Me, I like the challenge.

• paintchipspaintchips Member UncommonPosts: 107

I'm playing a Jedi Guardian, once you hit level 30 the difficulty really ramps up. No, difficulty is the wrong word, the mobs just hit really, really hard. I play my class efficiently and rarely ever die, but even I have to rest between every fight even against a group of trash mobs.

For us Knights the greatest challenge for us is that we don't get our healer companion until a lot later in the game and we are underpowered, so 30+ is just a slow slog. I really miss the pace of the earlier fights, you'd just flow from one encounter to the next. But the the downtime between fights really breaks the momentum.

I don't find 30+ difficult, it's just a hell of a lot slower and a bit boring to constantly have to rest between every fight.

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

One of my biggest fears before I got to play SWTOR (and I patiently waited with that until the pre-launch) was whether it would be too easy and not challenging enough and maybe catering for a crowd with less experience in playing mmorpgs.

This was also based on beta impressions from players who complained that the difficulty was turned down as well as the experiences from players at demo's (who played with toned down difficulty settings). Of course most of that was based on weekenders and the starter planet content should naturally be more forgiving than the stuff you'll be doing later on.

Now, at level 33 and playing the content intended for my level, I can confidently say that there is plenty of aspects in which the game is far, far from "easy mode"; I actually just died three times trying to defeat a key npc of my level in my class quest and eventually had to give up and postpone it (I really prefer having no outside help on those).

- Class storylines have key npc's to defeat which can be almost TOO hard for players of the same level. Doable but you need to have everything sorted.

- Some non-heroic quests idem dito.

- Instances as well as heroic quests aren't easy at all after the first one or two: expect to wipe if someone makes an obvious mistake or if your party isn't cooperating well. Two manning + 2 companions is only viable in the first few instances as far as I can tell. (Unless you out-leveled them, of course).

- I've seen multiple huge world bosses which require raids to defeat. (Touch the skull in the Dune Sea and see what happens *chuckles*).

- Each class has a very wide range of skills to its disposal; becoming a master at using them effectively is a challenge on its own accord, especially in pvp.

- Picking the right companion to use, using the right skills and stances and kitting it out properly is another required aspect for much solo content.

- Repair bills get pretty damn expensive. Yesterday I paid 7k to repair my gear, my total bankroll at the time was 100k; the better your gear, the higher the bill.

- The normal solo quest trash mobs aren't so hard, because you'll be pretty much fighting them in groups of 2 to 4 all the time yet there are plenty of elites to fight pretty much everywhere (also outside of elite areas) and those can be a lot harder. Normally I'm ok with soloing a single elite of my level but add another one and I am in trouble.

- Even the blasted space on rails game gets increasingly harder: right now there are a few missions which I simply can't complete due to my ship's upgrades not being up to par.

And I haven't even done hard mode flaspoints & operations yet ...

The above is from my personal experience with a 33 operative. Other classes might have an easier time but  the game really urges me to get the most out of my (and my companion's) skills, gear, buffs and tactics. The game has a habbit of kicking you straight in the groin as soon as you get overly confident. Personally I like it that way and I am relieved it isn't so "easy mode" as I feared and I hope Bioware won't cave in to complaints about the difficulty.

Anyone else similar experiences?

shrug. 35, on my BH in beta started getting a lot harder, specially the flash points.

Also IDK, about operative. but BH was pretty hard. it seemed it was easier to just spam heals on myself, while companion tanked it, I never got to the point after change on beta (not playing atm) but they said they made herioc mobs harder. They incourage groups.

Also for the money, should be selling crafting/scavenging things in market or vendor. etc. *shrug*

Picking the right companion to use, using the right skills and stances and kitting it out properly is another required aspect for much solo content.

Or if you can heal just try spamming heals on your self, while companion dps's it *takes time but worked for BH*, yet you might have to kite around LOS for a lil, since medium armor, and bh has heavy.

Two manning + 2 companions is only viable in the first few instances as far as I can tell. (Unless you out-leveled them, of course).

I think this was more for if you had a party member leave at last boss or so, you have emergency instant replacement. Also don't understatement them, Imperial agent first companion main tank for us the second flash point. (yet i don't think tanking companion would quite work for us after that, maybe a DPS tho)

Class storylines have key npc's to defeat which can be almost TOO hard for players of the same level. Doable but you need to have everything sorted.

If ya got some friends to help, there is a option to allow people to come into your class quest. They can't particpate in any events but can help u defeat people (under options menu, somewhere is option to allow it)

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Im often underlevelled for many of my class quests, and it really kicks you in the nuts sometimes. I dont go fighting elites without the right companion, stims and medpacks. :I

thank god im Biochem!

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Anyone else similar experiences?

Regarding credits SWTOR is quite hardcore. The german community manager posted something about credits and long term motivation on the german speaking forum.  Once i was broke and couldnt even train my skill 200 crafter recipes :)

My first story encounter in the Jedi temple handed me my robe back 3 times.

Quite a few other story encounters handed me my robe back.

I can beat one elite. Anything more requires fast and precise cc action. A broken cc is danger or dead.

Respawns and/or accidentally pulling one silver con'd to much is danger. Encounters with many ranged classes are danger. Each encounter requires a different strat.  Sage damage skills has sometiems cc on it. I need cc to heal.

I have to itemize multiple chars. Me and at least two companions (tank and heal). 

Quest often rewards with a multiple choice. Its not hardcore but involving. I really have to look and decide which item to take.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

A knight defintly is not underpowered and guess what...it has a healing companion..if you wanted to.

Remeber that silly boot liking droid you get whit youre ship?  you can -buy /make or collect by quest - outfit it whit armor and weapons.. it will be a alright fighter and a fine healer untill you get youre real "medic"

And if you think the other classes have great medics that can take away all dammage youre very very wrong, they are handy indeed and slightly better then the droid but not that great.

I tend to use my droid as active companion more then my medic or fighter since they get bonuses on craft missions and the droid aint :)  , besites its jsut funny to disaerm the droid and see it punch mobs in the face..its mean but funny :P

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I play sith assassin and when I was lvl 34 I did a class quest which said I needed to be 35, the quest was about luring a jedi padawan into a trap by borrowing another lords assassins and then jump in last second and be the hero, only to gain access to the jedi enclave.

But those 3 borrowed assassins were 3 strong / silver mobs, and lvl 35, even with the jedi helping me, and my companion, I died 3 times before I finally took the last one down.

Make no mistake, this game can and will be challenging.

And if you for some reason like to torture yourself by doing the impossible, try playing solo with no companion, I guarentee you gonna have a hard time.

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Want a challenge early game?

Try the "giant" robot in the dock area of Corasant. Its' not just an elite mob, its a "Open World Boss" (level 18).  I had a full 4 player group (levels 15 - 20) try. We laughed a lot after he one shotted the entire bunch of us.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Keogh

Try the "giant" robot in the dock area of Corasant. Its' not just an elite mob, its a "Open World Boss" (level 18).  I had a full 4 player group (levels 15 - 20) try. We laughed a lot after he one shotted the entire bunch of us.

Saw it and looked impressive. Was gone later, so guess someone managed to kill it :P

Originally posted by Keogh

LOL, stay away from champions :D

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by paintchips

I'm playing a Jedi Guardian, once you hit level 30 the difficulty really ramps up. No, difficulty is the wrong word, the mobs just hit really, really hard. I play my class efficiently and rarely ever die, but even I have to rest between every fight even against a group of trash mobs.

For us Knights the greatest challenge for us is that we don't get our healer companion until a lot later in the game and we are underpowered, so 30+ is just a slow slog. I really miss the pace of the earlier fights, you'd just flow from one encounter to the next. But the the downtime between fights really breaks the momentum.

I don't find 30+ difficult, it's just a hell of a lot slower and a bit boring to constantly have to rest between every fight.

It'll peak for you when you get to Hoth then will become a bit easier again. I play your mirror the Juggernaut and had switched to DPS spec mid 30's just for something different, my health bar yo-yo'd a bit more but all was fine. Went to Hoth and started dying every 10 - 15 minutes or at least coming close to it and had to switch back to tank spec and bring out Vette for my DPS again, for some reason the silver strong mobs there hit harder than the elites and a lot of the packs have two of them in them. After Hoth it's been plain sailing again though, currently on Voss and nothing has really even tickled since.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Not only do some of the storylines lead to some challenging bosses, the added emotion of the storylines motivate me to keep trying.  There was one boss that I wanted dead but he kept winning.  It forced me to look at my skills and re-work my strategy to get him down.  It took some consumables and my companion bit the dust, but when the boss went down I did a fist pump, 'YES!"

It's been a long time since 'out in the world questing' gave me an experience like that.

EDIT:

The first time I saw an "elite" mob in a quest chain, I looked at the quest log and fully expected it to say "group". Nope, It was hard on purpose.  I like that :D.  A difficult solo boss that can kill you if you don't do it right = a refreshing challenge from an MMO.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

I play an operative healer, I too can understand what you guys are saying, once you start getting into the late 20s the difficulty definitely starts to increase. Some of the bosses on the class quests hit harder then some of the flashpoint bosses, I could barely even keep myself alive let alone my companion through some of them. The Act 1 boss for the Imperial Agent was pretty rough, one of main moves the boss uses pretty much keeps your companion out of the fight 90% of the time, so you are on your own in dealing with it. The boss's standard melee attack hits for like 25% of your health so letting the boss get into melee range is a definite no go, I had to use every trick in the book to succeed and it took me a ton of tries to finally find a workable solution.

People that say this game is too easy really have not gotten into the later levels because the damage getting thrown around even from just standard enemies can get a little excessive. I've seen packs of mobs that can do multiple damage over time effects, armor debuffs and stacking damage debuffs on top of the high damage all within the same group. Even later in the game, in the 40s...there are packs that you pull that show only 3 regular mobs (which hit hard by themselves) and then once aggroed, 3 silver level enemies pop out with 2 of them being healers which literally spam heals like crazy. If anything...I would argue that some areas are a little too overtuned.

Overall I like the current difficulty, there were a few points that I was stuck at and eventually grouped to complete but those were very few. I think the difficulty is right were it needs to be for the majority of the content..its not hard enough to frustrate but it is hard enough that you will have to strategize to get through some of the leveling areas. As an Imperial Agent I felt I was definitely being challenged, I can only speculate the leveling difficulty for other classes but for me I found the leveling experience to get a little rough at times past 25.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I'm currently level 25 on my jedi sage so maybe I haven't gotten to the "level 30 difficulty increase" but this game seems pretty easy. I am telekinetic specced and can heal in flashpoints or do good dps. My gear isnt anything amazing, mostly quest and commendation stuff. It's probably easier to play with a tank companion then being the tank yourself and relying on companion heals. Also, classes with cc generally are better for soloing (sages get a 1 min force lift cc+a stun+a knockback).

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

I enjoy the current difficulty level. It actually makes people strategize a bit instead of just smash buttons. I'm a 40 operative specced deep into concealment. Though I do wish there was a LFG tool. It doesn't have to be overly complicated, just something that allows you to queue for a flashpoint/heroic/group quest and forms up the group.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Yeah I am 32 and just finished my act 1 story quest as a PowerTech Bounty Hunter spec'd for full DPS.  I think it has to be the best PvE class for leveling with tank and dps stances, self heals, plenty of dps, shields, etc, but maybe Sorceror is pretty similar and the game has had plenty of challenges throughout that have ramped up nicely.  The game flows so well.

The only problem with the challenge that I have found is that on many quests you could just rush through an area and die at the end just to use a med probe and finish and port out.  I didn't do this because I wanted quest bonuses most of the time, but I saw a lot of people doing it.  The probe is the only thing that curbs the challenge quite a bit, but now at level 32 dying too much really costs a lot of credits.  I was with an underleveled group and I probably spent 20,000 credits on repairs alone yesterday. 

The game does so well at making you feel powerful throughout, delivering those blockbuster story moments like in KOTOR, and giving you enough challenge to not become boring or dull.  I am very satisfied with the experience.

• XibynXibyn Member Posts: 14

Agreed with OP...I die at times, not often, but it happens.  If you're dying at time soloing or in flashpoints, it might not be as easy as some would say.

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Axxar

I know that if I was just mashing buttons rather than being very deliberate about ability and enemy priorities there would have been situations in which I would have died.

This is the first game that I actually panic a little during some fights. There is no face rolling/button spamming in this game. You have to prepare for the fight before you start. Me and a Jedi shadow tried to do a heroic 4 with our companions last night and ended up getting a thrird person to join us because we were dying too much. we would get the bosses life down to nothing but the damage had already been done.

I am having a blast!

• I took on packs of 3 gold stars + 1 silver at once with my bounty hunter on Tatooine several times while soloing Jawa Trade.

/flex

This didn't work for my Juggernaut. The lack of a CC combined with not being 2 levels above the mobs had me eating sand a couple of times. I then decided grouping was the superior tactic and got it done. I did manage to solo a few 2-man heroic missions, however.

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

I'm currently level 25 on my jedi sage so maybe I haven't gotten to the "level 30 difficulty increase" but this game seems pretty easy. I am telekinetic specced and can heal in flashpoints or do good dps. My gear isnt anything amazing, mostly quest and commendation stuff. It's probably easier to play with a tank companion then being the tank yourself and relying on companion heals. Also, classes with cc generally are better for soloing (sages get a 1 min force lift cc+a stun+a knockback).

They will soon start to get rid of your force lift early :D

Been to the last fight in the secret weapon cave on Tatooine ?