Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honestly ! Who would actually pay 15 a month for this???

Comments

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Originally posted by rznkain

Originally posted by Ezhae

Thend on't? It's that simple. I don't recall anyone forcing anyone with agun to play it ifYou don't like it. 

And really, complaining about 15$ subscription happens with every single MMO that comes out. Maybe it's time You grow up and get ajob, because 15$ / month is nothing when it comes to entertainment costs. In times when crappy games cost 50-60$ a pop and last barely 6-10 hours of playtime, those 15$ / month for 30 days of gameplay are a bargain. 

And do You think that customer service, servers upkeep, content developement, bug fixing developement, etc come free as a charity gift from companies? Do You think gaming was invented just to please You? It's a business. It's there to make money. If You can't afford it find a cheaper hobby or stick to F2P games. No one will shed a tear. 

I really think most of the people who do not like this game and praying for it's failure do not like it for a few simple reasons.They want to LIVE in a mmog not play one.They are looking for something to spend 12 hours a day to live and stay in compared to playing a game for a few hours and getting back to there real life.Instead they want a game that takes them out of real life more than what any current next gen mmog can offer them they long for the days of old Eq1 where they would have to live in it to advance.

No game will ever do it again. You know why? Because it already happened. Backin EQ1/UO times it was completely new experience for majority of players, and even those of us who played MUDs or text based online games had actual visuals for the very first time. 

Those old games had as many gripes and annoying features as todays productions, but then it was all fresh so it all seemed wonderful, especially with how limited the earlier games were. Now we've just "seen all" already and technology doesn't really move that fast forward as it did between 90ties and 2000.

We get better graphics fidelity, prettier lightning effects, more fluid animations, etc. But it's not that kind of amazement that it was when You switch from purely text based/spirte based gaming into rendered world for the first time. 

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

I think the answer to this question can only answered in time. If it puts out content like RIFT then i it should be, but if its like WoW then it might just as well go FTP. Also quick note to people saying FTP games dont put out content fast enough. I really dont play FTP games but my friends do and what i see in games from companies like for example Nexon is actually a very vast amount of content released monthly, specially from that side scrolling game Maplestory. Sure they are all pay to win but you cant say there is no content being released. Im pretty sure i see my friends play a different class in maplestory every month

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I will be playing for ~90 days.  I will re-evaluate my decision after that.  We will have to see how EA/Bioware handles updates.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Originally posted by austriacus

I think the answer to this question can only answered in time. If it puts out content like RIFT then i it should be, but if its like WoW then it might just as well go FTP. Also quick note to people saying FTP games dont put out content fast enough. I really dont play FTP games but my friends do and what i see in games from companies like for example Nexon is actually a very vast amount of content released monthly, specially from that side scrolling game Maplestory. Sure they are all pay to win but you cant say there is no content being released. Im pretty sure i see my friends play a different class in maplestory every month

They don't put out content. They bought a license for content that's already done. Usually western versions of Asian MMOs are about year - two years behind, and all They do is translate it and tweak numbers. Not ot mention games like MAple Story are way easier to rpoduce content for than any of the tripple-A MMOs out on the market. 

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Enjoying the first month.  We'll see how it goes beyond that.  

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I already got the 6 month sub paid for for both me and the wife. So yes I bought it and loving it.

• Cameo3Cameo3 Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by bleyzwun
    Enjoying the first month.  We'll see how it goes beyond that.  

Me too, hella fun and the crafting is epic. :) Oh, so is the teenagers that say "oh i see shiny crystal how can i farm it?" Like the crystals you see are any different then the ones you get from crafting LOL.

8-) Kids will always be kids.

Member of Talon | www.lakexeno.com
    RIFT: Redcameo, Warrior, Faemist Server
    RIFT: Bluecameo, Mage, Faemist Server

• aeoleonaeoleon Member UncommonPosts: 75

Chose to pay 3 months (£25 total), which is basically $10 roughly a month. So, no, not paying $15 a month to play :3

01110110 01101001 01100011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01110101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101111 00100001

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

As long as I feel entertained and the company releases new content in a regular basis ill pay, gladly. Can't even think in playing a F2P game, already tried it and the comunities are always crap.

Besides, Bioware already confirmed new content to January, a new flashpoint and a big Operation upgrade. Let's see after 6 months how the game is evolving, for now, ill subscribe for the next 6 months.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Originally posted by Ezhae

Originally posted by austriacus

They don't put out content. They bought a license for content that's already done. Usually western versions of Asian MMOs are about year - two years behind, and all They do is translate it and tweak numbers. Not ot mention games like MAple Story are way easier to rpoduce content for than any of the tripple-A MMOs out on the market. 

I see. But what about the original asian ones? they seem to be making loads of money, dont they put content out? because as far as i can tell, they also have millions of paying customers

Also im not saying that it isnt harder for AAA MMOs to add content in comparison to games like maplestory, just saying the content is there

• xLithxLith Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by Supersoups

Originally posted by Supersoups

Originally posted by sgel

Originally posted by xLith

I like how those who have no idea of how server and bandwidth operation for something like an MMO works, thinks monthly fees aren't justified.

So how do games without monthly fees manage ?

By selling expansions, cash shop / item shop, small content packages etc?

so it's obviously not that costly to maintain a server, do some research before making yourself look stupid.

I am stupid because i answered a simple question? i am talking about F2P / B2P games and how they generate revenue independent of my point of view on sub based MMOS. What ever is stuck up your a** pull it out now bud!

is your name xlith?

Thanks Souper for explaining to the uninformed how servers are kept online for "F2Pay" games. Nero, do you know how MMOs work? You do know it's not a single server in someone's basement running on a Netzero dial-up account right?

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

I bet the do away with adding story after 6 months and just add instance after instance like every other themepark mmo.

• Cameo3Cameo3 Member Posts: 219

I bet the do away with adding story after 6 months and just add instance after instance like every other themepark mmo.

Content is content imo.

Member of Talon | www.lakexeno.com
    RIFT: Redcameo, Warrior, Faemist Server
    RIFT: Bluecameo, Mage, Faemist Server

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

if you check the OP's post history, he has been consistent with this theme.  Motivations aside, I am one of those that have no problem whatsoever playing 15 bucks a month for this game.  The freemium model would be terrible for SWTOR due to the way the game plays - it would wreck crafting (since in SWTOR you craft items that would normally be sold in a fremium cash shop). 

• mwyork1967mwyork1967 Member Posts: 1

Seriously? You broke away from watching Gaba Gaba Hey just to ask who would pay for playing this game....

Seriously?

You guys come on here and complain for what reason? To make yourself feel better or maybe you didn't get the game you wanted.

From the looks of it alot of people are happy with the product, so go back to watching your baby tv shows, get your mommie to fix you a glass of tit milk and cookies...

Seriously..these hater posts are getting old.....

• ghaianaghaiana Member UncommonPosts: 106

I already subbed for 6 months, so yes, I want to pay. I prefer payed MMO's over free to play models.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I would quiet happily pay $15 a month for it.

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by xion12121

The game is decent as a free to play type game. But it is not an mmo its more of a single player RPG with some chat thrown in. Who is actually willing (Be honest) to pay $15 dollars  a month for a game not worth one penny???

Y hello cheapskate (also successful troll, success).

Also may i refresh you on what a MMO is (and how the term has changed it seems).

Massive multiplayer online. Game has mass numbers, all online, and play on 1 server.

Biggest one I don't understand but is, Is league of legends. Being a RTS, and considered MMO somehow but isn't.

This game, i did quite a lot of testing. It feels no more different then WoW, or any other MMORPG. Your class stories are only thing that is 'only' yours. And unless your anti social, you can get groups/ dungeons/ herioc quest with parties quite easily, and the player market is quite substantial option of any mmo. This game has all elements of your 'typical' mmorpg, and more. So your point is invallid.

Y do people / did pay. For WoW... EvE...Aion....Rift..

This game has better qualities than WoW, Aion, Rift, SOMEWHAT EVE (cuz i like eve... idk about that).

And Y U say? For the same reason all subscription based games are made. TO not have a pay 2 win system.

HMM 15dollars a month. (Skip on wedneys twice. and that extra soda you didn't need. BAM 15dollars).

A. Pays for servers/ support services, and keeps the game going for company fiances seeing future expansive options.

B. keeps game balanced into terms of everyone having to do same things to achieve goal/items.

F2P(P2W).

A. Free gameplay throughout most areas to get u maxed, may have to buy other areas with real cash.

B. things you would have gotten easy and freely with sub based now cost real cash.

C. Bigger wallet, bigger ego.

D. You bought the ending raid set, congrats on no skill, and big wallet. Go own with ur OP un earned E-items.

E. SPAMS OUT FOR SUMMER.. Featuring the artist. Gold bots, scammers.

F. More hackers without consquence as hard.

• KhurgKhurg Member UncommonPosts: 45

I would and will

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

I WILL.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by Gylfi

Originally posted by eugam

Originally posted by onthestick

Originally posted by Necropsie

Not you, it seems.

Now please cancel your account now and go back to playing what popular crap you love so less queue's for the rest of us.

Seriously, messages with two lines and only saying  "THIS GAME SUCKS" is childish and boring.

why is it boring? hating the game myself, i want to hear these things. Why do you claim that he's alone and you're many and mighty?

Why do you feel the need to form a certain pretend-mob against one person? I am with him.

You mean just like you do against anyone who enjoys SWTOR? pot says hit to kettle 'esteemed professor'.

Nonsense i never did such a thing. I know there's many, uhm, let's call 'em humanoids, who like this game, and many who don't, and those are people who believe in virtual worlds and don't just want a mindless pastime off their games.

Those who like it are players who don't need creativity in their game, they just need any WoW clone.

I am into virtual worlds. A lot, because i play mmo for a devade and video games for two and a half. And virtual worlds would have been the only real mmo evolution.

However, lets face it. There wont be any AAA+ virtual world anytime soon. The masses voted for themeaprk when subscribing to wow for years.

SWTOR is not a WOW clone. Its much more like one of those old adventure games from Lucas Arts. Remeber fate of atlantis or space quest ? It is innovating by offering a story driven solo game with the possibility to of multiplayer. I wasnt a SW fan. And when i read about WoW in space i took it as granted. Now i bought the game since i was bored and its a blast. Very good stories, companions with a rather high AI. The starter planet is a bit dull, but the other planets are very well done so far. Good crafting that doesnt make me feel like a beggar for welfare epics. 

Even if it is a themepark, its a very good themepark and definetely better then a bad sandbox. If SWTOR is a monetary success, then other companies probably grow a backbone to stand against the WoW paradigm and maybe, finally there is a AAA+ sandbox. But not yet, and until then i am enjoying SWTOR immensly :)

hhah! C'mon. I am a huge fan of all puzzle adventures(hence my "site" name), my favorites are those by Sierra(Space quest isn't lucas! v_v).

but i saw no adventure elements during beta. It's entirely hand-holden questing, very typical gameplay, no puzzles whatever. It's all very very very much like WoW in everything. Please tell me WHERE exactly this game is different, beside crafting which i have no idea how it works and it's a secondary element anyway.

I don't get it about the future marketing consequences. If this game, being 95% like WoW, is a success, there will be sandbox games? How is that? That sounds illogical. If TOR fails big time, THEN we will see innovation, because they will finally realize that plagiarism doesn't pay. If the game succeeds then it must mean that WoW model still works, new companies will make new themepark trash, the general belief will be that innovation is not necessary, you just need to do a new WoW game with more and more accessible and user-friendly gameplay, because that's what TOR did, it just took the usual themepark system and eliminated anything that's unpleasant to the gamers(the insta-res , I.E)

So if one craves for innovation, if one believes that the genre IS ALMOST DEAD and needs new life, needs change because without change there's no posible life, then obviously one has to cheer for TOR's sounding and spectacular disgrace. It's just a necessity.

Larry: "You know - fish is good brain food"

Moe: "Then you should eat a whale!"

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

1. The camera angles made in the game are horrible, the movement is jerky and not fluid at all.  The char models are horrible, and are not fluid at all. The specials skills also are stuck and not fluid at all either. 

2. The game has a linear function. Where is the Open world to explore ???  

3. The cutscenes are boring and are there just so people don't have to read anything like the old days. 

4. The mobs and npcs are static and have no movement whatsoever. 

5. The quests are kill x bring x to npc etc. 

6. Don't get me wrong the game is good as a buy once play for free type game but It just doesn't have that polish that    you want to pay $15 a month for! So why the defending of it???

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by xion12121

1. The camera angles made in the game are horrible, the movement is jerky and not fluid at all.  The char models are horrible, and are not fluid at all. The specials skills also are stuck and not fluid at all either. 

2. The game has a linear function. Where is the Open world to explore ???  

3. The cutscenes are boring and are there just so people don't have to read anything like the old days. 

4. The mobs and npcs are static and have no movement whatsoever. 

5. The quests are kill x bring x to npc etc. 

6. Don't get me wrong the game is good as a buy once play for free type game but It just doesn't have that polish that    you want to pay $15 a month for! So why the defending of it???

To anyone who tries to argue "oh well WoW wasn't perfect on launch"...my question is "Why did you guys expect Rift to be?". Why the double standard? TOR gets a pass for how many months before we start calling it incomplete and missing key mmo features?

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

It looks to me that the answer to the OP's question is "a few million people".

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

As long as I'm still enjpoying the game I will gladly pay $15 a month. Once I cease to enjoy paying it I will quit subscribing, It's realy just that simple. I mean $15 dollars a month for some entertainment is a pittance in the scheme of things.

Also I will never understand peoples need to try to belittle or question the intelligence of someone who enjoys a game they don't or vice versa. It's all a matter of personal taste. How can someone else believe they can tell you that your personal taste is wrong lol?

No signature, I don't have a pen