Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim better than Oblivion ?

2»

Comments

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

By far skyrim was better almost on everything...the world feels alive and on oblivion really without soul..static..

The only thing i prefered on Oblivion or should i say the only thing i didnt liked in Skyrim was the tone down of the skills...they have removed many skills like acrobatics and stuff...

and now feels much like console game with some Elders scrolls elements... still great though..

I wonder if modders can do a morrowind world with all the quests and whatever morrowind had with the new TES Construction KIT.....it would be awesome!! xD

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I think Oblivion is better but that's due to the ES community making thousands of hours of contents /mods for it.

On a no-mod vanlia, Skyrim beats the crap out of Oblivion IMO.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• imsoenthusedimsoenthused Member UncommonPosts: 65

In terms of out of the box experience, I'd say Skyrim is superior to oblivion.They both have that dead eye thousand yard stare and all the abrasions and bruises from being brutally raped in an alley by console design concerns, but Skyrim wins out. It should, it's newer. That said, heavy modded Oblivion puts Skyrim to all kinds of shame, in my opinion. Give Skyrim five years of well developed mods and it will be doing better. Then again, heavy modded morrowind is still pretty competitive with oblivion because it has had even more time for community development.  So, it's a TES game, it's great, people will still be playing modded versions of it for years, and in three or six years when the next TES game comes out somebody will ask if Valenwood(or whatever) is better than Skyrim, and the response will still be "well ya, out of the box, but..."

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

All tho ive played Daggerfall in 1998, but becouse of crashes (i was not as good with PCs back then as i am now hehe) errors and bugs ive prolly not enjoyed game so much as i did with Morrowind.

Morrowind back in 2002 for me was just awesome i never enjoyed a gameworld voices the music sounds(miss the sounds and voices most from morrowind in skyrim) and the exploration so much as in that game, at the time there where no so many solo games that gave a beautifull open gameworld and freedom to explore.

You must place in that context 2002 still rather ancient computer game times then Oblivion that for somehow could not live up to expectation i had with Morrowind+plus expansions and mods.

And now with the millions of games ive played over the years Skyrim comes along also awesome game but just by fraction not the awesomness morrowind gave me back then.

It has prolly to do with fact now almost 2012 we had so many games that also looked beautifull and with great gameplay its harder to surpass that.

Ive so far played 250 houres in Skyrim and i love the game but i got also some annoying moments with the game, its starting to get on my nerves, that i did not have with Morrowind.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• KokushibyouKokushibyou Member UncommonPosts: 230

I liked Morrowind the best, but Skyrim is better than Oblivion overall

Skyrim

Oblivion

Morrowind

Graphics

Storyline

Leveling System

Magic System

UI

Side Quests

Dungeons

Release State (bugs)

Overall

The only thing that realy bother me about Skyrim is the revamp of the magic system.  I have always loved to play magic users and the spell builder made the Elder Scrolls series the best games for Magic.  Now magic is just so boring in Skyrim.  Other than that it is stll a realy great game.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Kokushibyou
    I liked Morrowind the best, but Skyrim is better than Oblivion overall

Skyrim

Oblivion

Morrowind

Graphics

Storyline

Leveling System

Magic System

UI

Side Quests

Dungeons

Release State (bugs)

Overall

The only thing that realy bother me about Skyrim is the revamp of the magic system.  I have always loved to play magic users and the spell builder made the Elder Scrolls series the best games for Magic.  Now magic is just so boring in Skyrim.  Other than that it is stll a realy great game.

Nice way of saying witch is your Fav game:) I agree with your ratings of 3 games.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Thillian

I definetely rate Skyrim way above Oblivion. Oblivion's level scale system turned the game for me into an unplayable experience. Skyrim, on the other hand, despite its outdated graphics and numerous bugs, is quite fabulous.

The level scaling system in Oblivion was absolutely atrocious.  To me, it killed the notion of developing your character.  It was also broke immersion once you've levelled up some.  Seeing Daedric equipped bandit groups was when I stopped playing vanilla Oblivion.  Mods were the only saving grace for Oblivion.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Dwnk28

Recently got skyrim. It really is a great improvement over Oblivion. Anyone else agree?

Hate to say it, but its best TES game until now.

While Morrowind clearly wins as amazingly complex RPG and Daggerfall as ultimate old school.

Skyrim is just best all arounder. It just makes you feel you are actually there.

• CacophanistCacophanist Member Posts: 100

Of course it is!!

Skyrim is better than anything I have played apart from MMOs.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I prefered Skyrim over Oblivion.. but both are amazing games.

..Cake..

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Oblivion The Shivering Islands > Skyrim > Oblivion.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I bag alot on Oblivion, but the mod scene for it really saved the game from mediocrity.  2 thumbs up to all the modders out there.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

To me, it is.

But then I don't really like Oblivion ('whereas I like Morrowind a lot).

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Its definately been improved in a lot of ways, but it lacks a lot of things such as not beable to fully customise hair and skin color and what not. However, whats really great about this and oblivion is the mod community. I pity anyone who go this on a console. You''' never get as much entertainment (length and quality wise) than a PC user that uses mods with this game. Some people might be okay with that, but those people have no idea what they're missing out on and convince them selves they'd rather not play the game at its full potential. If you spend hundreds on console, may as well spend a few hundred more on a decent PC.

But anyway, overall, I guess I'd have to say skyrim is better to me because I don't see myself ever playing oblivion again. It's like with most sequels (GTA for example) I can't go back because the system's much more polished and the graphics are much better. People are delusional when they say graphics don't matter, because they matter to a lot people and companies spend billions of dollars trying to improve them.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

I enjoyed Morrowind, but was really disappointed with Oblivion.  Skyrim is a step in the right direction, but there's a lot more to be done if they really want to make a decent game like Morrowind.  Mods do help, but if they released a high-quality game from the start, we wouldn't have to tackle UI annoyances and could instead focus on new and refined content exclusively.

It's hard for me to say any of TES games are 'good' - to me, Morrowind was the only decent one - but it's easy to see that Bethesda learned from their mistakes in the time between Oblivion and Skyrim (possibly through developing Fallout 3 and NV).  Hopefully they can keep on this track and the next TES can be Morrowind tier or even better.

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by s1fu71

Example: If I chose to cast magic and melee, my skills in those areas never got as high compared to just concentrating in one area. As a result, I was horrible at dealing out enough damage in combat to survive.

Maybe it was just my play style? But, I do not feel that way in Skyrim at all.

If this is really the case I'd consider skyrim as seriously broken. Hybrid classes should always demand a sophisticated play style, otherwise what is the point of diluting your skills at all (w/o any drawback)?

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    No question about it. skyrim is the best, most advanced of the series. It is a must have for any RPG fan.