Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

http://www.xfire.com/games/swtor/Star_Wars_The_Old_Republic/

No real change during the christmas holidays so it seems this game has reached its peak which is about the same like Aion had during its release. No the question is how it will retain its subscribers. My guess is that same day next month it will have dropped 10-20%.

Comments

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Or maybe less people are using Xfire? I don't. I've always thought Xfire is the worst way of tracking MMO populations because not everyone uses it. It's irrelevant.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

A few days isn't a trend.  I know, we're all dying to say "I told you so!" but really need to wait a month at least, to see any real indication of the game popularity increasing, decreasing, or even leveling off.  Three months to be sure it won't turn around, and six months before it'll really be indisputable.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Or maybe less people are using Xfire? I don't. I've always thought Xfire is the worst way of tracking MMO populations because not everyone uses it. It's irrelevant.

By that logic no polling mechanism would be relevant because "not everyone was answering the poll".

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by Yamota

http://www.xfire.com/games/swtor/Star_Wars_The_Old_Republic/

No real change during the christmas holidays so it seems this game has reached its peak which is about the same like Aion had during its release. No the question is how it will retain its subscribers. My guess is that same day next month it will have dropped 10-20%.

what does that mean?, and AION? that game got like 10 servers or less at launch in NA, swtor have more than 100, with a queue. And the population in swtor is growing everyday, is not droping, and they have the 1st expansion early next month, so again, whats the point of this?

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Noone uses it? It says 20.000.000 accounts registered and currently there're 130.000 players online. That IS A GARGANTUAL SAMPLE SIZE, in terms of statistics. This is far more accurate than any "election estimates, which are made on 1.000 sample size". Xfire operates at maybe 0.02% deviation,  it is as accurate as mathematics can be. There might be a discussion about what sort of players tend to use x-fire more often than others, but for what it is, it is extremely accurate.

REALITY CHECK

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Vhaln

A few days isn't a trend.  I know, we're all dying to say "I told you so!" but really need to wait a month at least, to see any real indication of the game popularity increasing, decreasing, or even leveling off.  Three months to be sure it won't turn around, and six months before it'll really be indisputable.

Really people actually wait for that? makes me just sad thinking about the mentality some people have.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

The game is almost always the most popular the first weeks after launch so if the game does not pick up in the next couple of weeks then this is indeed the peak. Specially considering that many people are free during the christmas holidays and all.

Originally posted by onthestick

Really people actually wait for that? makes me just sad thinking about the mentality some people have.

Why? The game is a shallow Themepark and there are a lot of us who are tired of lack of innovation in the genre. A failure on SW:TOR would give a signal to the industry that they cannot copy paste game mechanics and need to start thinking outside of the box.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

The game is almost always the most popular the first weeks after launch so if the game does not pick up in the next couple of weeks then this is indeed the peak. Specially considering that many people are free during the christmas holidays and all.

Free..... spending time with family.  I spent more time not playing over the past few days then I did in preorder...  I no longer use Xfire to track my playtime anyway.. I just keep the sig so I can pick out my posts a lot easier.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

AION servers probably hold ten times the amount of players than SWTOR servers.

Xfire was a great metric of player activity just a few days ago, watch that change now.

Why? The game is a shallow Themepark and there are a lot of us who are tired of lack of innovation in the genre. A failure on SW:TOR would give a signal to the industry that they cannot copy paste game mechanics and need to start thinking outside of the box.

Thanks for just confirming what i said earlier.

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• SideTraKdSideTraKd Member Posts: 100

Originally posted by Thillian

Noone uses it? It says 20.000.000 accounts registered and currently there're 130.000 players online. That IS A GARGANTUAL SAMPLE SIZE, in terms of statistics. This is far more accurate than any "election estimates, which are made on 1.000 sample size". Xfire operates at maybe 0.02% deviation,  it is as accurate as mathematics can be. There might be a discussion about what sort of players tend to use x-fire more often than others, but for what it is, it is extremely accurate.

But it isn't a random sampling of the mmo communities, since only certain types of players would ever bother to use it.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Was meant to be tongue in cheek.  I think there's a grain of truth to it for some, but an exaggeration to be funny, at least.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

By that logic no polling mechanism would be relevant because "not everyone was answering the poll".

What you're doing isn't within miles of "polling".  Xfire breaks the very first rule about the validity of polling.

"When you are confronted with a new poll, ask the following questions about it:

• Is the sample scientifically selected or self-selected? If self-selected, the poll is only good for entertainment.

• What is the poll's margin of error? Are any comparisons reported?such as changes in popularity, record highs or lows, or comparisons between candidates?which lie within twice the margin of error, that is, the confidence interval? If so, they are statistically insignificant.

• Have other polls on this issue been done recently? If so, it is a good idea to compare the new poll with these others:

• If the results of the new poll are significantly different from those of most other polls?that is, a difference greater than the confidence interval?then the new poll is probably unreliable.

• If the results of the new poll are within the confidence interval from those of most other polls, then those results are probably reliable, even if they are not statistically significant as individuals.

If the poll you are confronted with fails at any step of this checklist, or if you can't find the answer to these questions in the report, then your confidence in the poll should be much less than 95%."

Xfire isn't polling, by any stretch of the imagination--or rather, it's no more or less of a "poll" than any other online method...not very much.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by SideTraKd

But it isn't a random sampling of the mmo communities, since only certain types of players would ever bother to use it.

Yes my last sentence was pointing that out. However, even pre-election estimates does not have totally random sampling, since not everyone is willing to answer the questions. It might affect the result slighly, but not significantly.

REALITY CHECK

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I have never used xFire. The more I think about it, nobody I know uses it.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

yikes. same guys touting Xfire numbers the other day when their fav game was at 50% of WoW's users now say it don't matter.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by fony

yikes. same guys touting Xfire numbers the other day when their fav game was at 50% of WoW's users now say it don't matter.

It never mattered.  Didn't to the whiners then and won't to the fans now....   to those of us who don't care (like me, who used to use Xfire)  its just something else people will choose to rave or grief about.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Statistically, it doesn't.  No further comment necessary.

Several people positively eager to read bad/good news into suspect data?  Yep, there's always lots of those guys.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

And what makes you think people took that seriously? i am in gaming community which is 100 active members strong spread over 4 mmos and none of us ever used XFIRE. 

• SideTraKdSideTraKd Member Posts: 100

Originally posted by SideTraKd

Yes my last sentence was pointing that out. However, even pre-election estimates does not have totally random sampling, since not everyone is willing to answer the questions. It might affect the result slighly, but not significantly.

There is a bit of a difference between the two, but I cede your point.  I was only saying that X-Fire attracts a certain type of player, and will only show results from those players.  Their tastes are similar to each other's and not necessarily representative of the gaming community as a whole.  How many addictive games aren't even on the list that have sold millions of copies..?

I have no doubt that more X-Fire users are deeply into LoL...  But I'm less certain that it translates to the gaming community as a whole.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Keep on dreaming.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DarthRahlikDarthRahlik Member Posts: 6

Xfire?

Foo? What is Xfire? Never heard of it.

• Trixey4795Trixey4795 Member Posts: 42

Just another hater thread served up with an XFire flavour.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Really, so you waste your time on a website talking about stuff you don t like, want to talk about shallow, ie your life needs more to it obviously. The indication, of alot more full servers, and light ones now moderate or heavy are a better indication then x fire will ever be.

This discussion has been closed.