Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are so many people disappointed with a game that was designed well?

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by Starpower

Originally posted by Margulis

Why disappointed?  Because after the voice acting and story most of the entire game is 7 years dated.

How's it dated. If you mean you have to target something and hit 1,2,3 and the trinity then yes. Then again the issue isn't the system but personal burnout. If I get tired of something I don't blame the "thing". I simply either switch to something else or try and see if something does things different. to that end I believe there are some FPS MMOs out there. Even some classless. Few of them are of decent quality but that's hardly TORs fault

Tab targetting, basic hotkeying with no big customization or marcoing, and a basic talent system. Yes, that would be outdated style of gaming, not burnout. Though at least it's better then TERA.

"Outdated" according to whom?

As long as you are aware that the fact you being "tired" of that system does not = outdated then we can agree. If you want something else because you have seen it over the course of many years doesn't mean it desperately needs an overhaul. Your preferences has just changed over the years. That's all. I'm sure there are many gamers happy with the system and will continue to buy and play games with that system in the future

If it was truely outdated every developer would hop on the bandwaggon on the latest "innovative combat feature" and roll with it.

Combat systems are not like an OS that has to be changed every few years.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

All I can say is, aside from the lagginess of PvP warzones, which definitely needs to be addressed, I love the combat in this game.  LOVE it.  

But that's my question:  why?  What makes combat in SWTOR different from--and better than--combat in a stereotypical WoW-clone?  Or do you like the generic WoW-clone combat?  If so, then it's good that you've found a game you like, and just a difference of opinion.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Quizzical

All I can say is, aside from the lagginess of PvP warzones, which definitely needs to be addressed, I love the combat in this game.  LOVE it.  

But that's my question:  why?  What makes combat in SWTOR different from--and better than--combat in a stereotypical WoW-clone?  Or do you like the generic WoW-clone combat?  If so, then it's good that you've found a game you like, and just a difference of opinion.

Great question Quizzical and till date I have seen NO ONE ever answer it in concrete terms. Vague phrases will be infinitely thrown around though!

I mean in WoW I play a Feral Combat druid. No MMO comes close to even matching the sheer scope the Feral spec is, let alone the Druid class in WoW. The classes in Aion were awful in comparison (AoC and RIFT OTOH are probably as fun as my feral) and SWTOR's classes seem to be based on Aion's model. 

The combat seems to be the usual press button -> ability. Which is great, but again it does not answer the question you posed .

Maybe these people never ever played WoW? So they lie on the forums and bash it as if they played it, but in reality this is their first experience with WoW style combat (thus they find it awesome)? 

Who knows. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

Even though not adressed to me personally I'm going to answer anyway

Playing the bounty hunter and using "Death from Above" making you hover in the air while firing off missiles on the ground killing an entire group of npcs really sealed the deal for me. Firing off a missile that attaches itself to an enemy to see him squirm to get the tagged bomb off, then see it go off is great. You get the feel of the bounty hunter from the known SW movies. If WoW had a spell that let you hover in the air raining explosive fireballs to the ground annihalating a lot of mobs, I would have thought thatw as awesome as well.

If you look at it from another view point where "Death from Above" is just TORs version of WoWs AoE spells and the tagged bomb is just another WoW spell with a delay before doing AoE then yes. I can see where you are coming from.

I think a lot has to do with the iconic characters from the SW universe and the ability to play as your own Boba Fett or Darth Maul that inadvertently affects how one feels about the combat. fighting with two ligthsabers seems more satisfying than doing it with two scimitar swords in a fantasy MMO when in fact the result and effects are the same

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Playing the bounty hunter and using "Death from Above" making you hover in the air while firing off missiles on the ground killing an entire group of npcs really sealed the deal for me. Firing off a missile that attaches itself to an enemy to see him squirm to get the tagged bomb off, then see it go off is great. You get the feel of the bounty hunter from the known SW movies. If WoW had a spell that let you hover in the air raining explosive fireballs to the ground annihalating a lot of mobs, I would have thought thatw as awesome as well.

If you look at it from another view point where "Death from Above" is just TORs version of WoWs AoE spells and the tagged bomb is just another WoW spell with a delay before doing AoE then yes. I can see where you are coming from.

I think a lot has to do with the iconic characters from the SW universe and the ability to play as your own Boba Fett or Darth Maul that inadvertently affects how one feels about the combat. fighting with two ligthsabers seems more satisfying than doing it with two scimitar swords in a fantasy MMO when in fact the result and effects are the same

ill agree here bounty hunter is a TON of fun.. the rest of the classes are really meh.... which really is dissapointing cause I so wanted to paly a jedi but they are not even half as fun as the bounty hunter...

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

If it was truely outdated every developer would hop on the bandwaggon on the latest "innovative combat feature" and roll with it.

TERA, Blade and Soul, GW2, Mabinogi 2, PSO2, yeap, developers are totally not hopping on the bandwaggon. Also, let's not forget all the developers hopping on the MOBA craze.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

As much as I want to like the game, it's tough to do so due to a few key 'gotchas'.

There are 'gates' in the game that 'force you to group up.  While I know this is an MMO (not a single player game), this is an inconvenience when I have to stand around and wait for other players.  There aren't any LFD/LFG tools in the game, so I use the chat channels... that are typically filled with trolls. 

Next...

Class balance issues.  Yes, every game has them... but we're not talking about every game... we're talking about THIS game.  With enough weeks in beta and such, I would've expected the balance issues to have been reviewed and fixed.  They weren't.  And, any time you are on the losing end of that spectrum... it's not a fun place to be.  QQ?  No.  Play a FOTM.... which may be a class that you don't want to play, but you do it because you're tired of the frustration of playing an undertuned class.

Next...

Lack of options during character creation.  A game-breaker?  No.  A disappointment?  Yes.   More races would be nice.  Are there more planned for future expansions?  I'm sure there are. 

Next...

Customer service.  I'm sorry, but I expected 'better'.  I just did.  Availability and communication have been 'less than SAT'. 

All in all, it's Star Warsy... which is great.  But... I don't know.  Just seems... 'empty' or without heart. 

TERA, Blade and Soul, GW2, Mabinogi 2, PSO2, yeap, developers are totally not hopping on the bandwaggon. Also, let's not forget all the developers hopping on the MOBA craze.

Lets see how some of those games turn out before we make any armchair nostradamus predictions

Lets see how some of those games turn out before we make any armchair nostradamus predictions

Well, I can assure you that TERA wont be an outstanding game. It lacks many basic MMO features and customization options. Another game that thought it would excell by focusing only on one aspect instead of making a well developed game with good combat.

Originally posted by sanosukex

ill agree here bounty hunter is a TON of fun.. the rest of the classes are really meh.... which really is dissapointing cause I so wanted to paly a jedi but they are not even half as fun as the bounty hunter...

I tried playing on the Jedi side. I found the quests and storytelling to be a complete bore not to mention the classes. The trooper has potential but that's just not enough to switch from the Sith side.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

my guess is most won't do that well although at least some are at least atempting some new things to spice up the same old crummy combat we have gotten acustomed to in MMOs these days

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Tera = Completely failed in Korea due to absolutely no end game

Blade and Soul = hmmmz same NCSoft that did Aion and uhhh 2013????

GW2 = 20 different promises I will not even begin to name off. Also ArenaNET who could not put jumping into GW1 after 6 years?

The other two are wtf?

The simple fact is TOR is not a well designed MMO. It is a well designed co-op KOTOR 3. It just depends how much people want to pay for it month after month.

Originally posted by Puremallace

Tera = Completely failed in Korea due to absolutely no end game

Blade and Soul = hmmmz same NCSoft that did Aion and uhhh 2013????

GW2 = 20 different promises I will not even begin to name off. Also ArenaNET who could not put jumping into GW1 after 6 years?

The other two are wtf?

The simple fact is TOR is not a well designed MMO. It is a well designed co-op KOTOR 3. It just depends how much people want to pay for it month after month.

I was just pointing out games that are being developed with a newer style combat. Being action based wont make them instant successes cause good combat or not, there is a lot more to an MMO to make it a good game.

It was addressed to anyone who thinks he has a good answer.

The skin on a game can make it seem cool at first.  But sooner or later--and probably sooner rather than later--that wears off.  If the underlying game mechanics are good, then great.  But if they're not, then once "but it's Star Wars!" and "but this skill looks cool!" lose their novelty, you'll be bored.  If it's predictable that I'll be bored in a week, then I'd rather not spend the time trying to figure out the game in the first place.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

I was just pointing out games that are being developed with a newer style combat. Being action based wont make them instant successes cause good combat or not, there is a lot more to an MMO to make it a good game.

The simple fact is we are 10 years behind the Koreans because America does not even remotely come close to having the same infrastrcture as South Korea when it comes to connection speed and computing power.

So we will keep getting games on The gamebryo(WAR and Rift), WoW(on a 1994 engine) or TOR (on a modified engine from 2003?) while the Koreans get Crysis 2 engines that play like freaking BF3 in a mmorpg.

We could only wish, but it won;t happen for a few more years, especially with WoW completely and utterly stagnating the genre. Hell you see it on the TOR forums already. They are pulling the same crap they pulled with Rift. Personally I am watching to see if Bioware says screw you and does not do a x-server LFD because Trion gaave it to them in Rift and they never came back.

It is all talk and crying and they never come through on their threats. The second you see someone threaten to leave to go back to WoW just write them off and forget about it. Some stuff in TOR the way it is designed seems silly, but they have 140+ servers so maybe people like something about how the game is right this second.

Well, I can assure you that TERA wont be an outstanding game. It lacks many basic MMO features and customization options. Another game that thought it would excell by focusing only on one aspect instead of making a well developed game with good combat.

That a lot of games that tried to borrow heavily from WoW ended up being terrible games doesn't disprove that they tried to borrow heavily from WoW.  A combat-heavy game that tries to do something interesting with combat might still end up being a terrible game.  But at least it had a chance to be good.

Originally posted by Puremallace

The simple fact is we are 10 years behind the Koreans because America does not even remotely come close to having the same infrastrcture as South Korea when it comes to connection speed and computing power.

The US has nearly 100 times the land area of South Korea.  Sending signals much longer distances is more expensive and takes longer, for reasons of physics.

That a lot of games that tried to borrow heavily from WoW ended up being terrible games doesn't disprove that they tried to borrow heavily from WoW.  A combat-heavy game that tries to do something interesting with combat might still end up being a terrible game.  But at least it had a chance to be good.

Yeap, I hope that others will try to be more polished on release unlike TERA.

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335
    The problem is that i don't think this game is designed well. Heck I don't think this game is designed at all. But that's just my opinion!
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by yewsef

The problem is that i don't think this game is designed well. Heck I don't think this game is designed at all. But that's just my opinion!

Exactly. It's all about opinions.

"A game that was designed well" (thread title), may be the truth for the OP, but that's his opinions. Which I don't share.

Btw, OP, check your facts:

WoW wasn't released in 2003, it was released in Nov 2004 in the US, and Feb 2005 in EU.

Originally posted by Netspook

Originally posted by yewsef

Exactly. It's all about opinions.

"A game that was designed well" (thread title), may be the truth for the OP, but that's his opinions. Which I don't share.

Btw, OP, check your facts:

WoW wasn't released in 2003, it was released in Nov 2004 in the US, and Feb 2005 in EU.

Now if only this enlightenment could spread to the rest of this site then we wouldn't have to shift through so much nonsense. There would be less trolling and world peace

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Would be less iissues if TOR took the guild wars IP approach of Buy and free to play with paid for story expansions. To make it and wrap it up as a full blown MMO is what's causing the issues, compared to the MMO of old, this there is no MASS, it's been replaced by COop Multi player online RPG.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

It feels right. The best way I can explain it is how Capcom 2D fighting games feel different. Some feel better than others. But the moves are the same. Its like how Marvel Super Heroes felt better than X-Men vs Street Fighter. If you play enough of these things, you start to get a feel for the subtleties.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by IAmMMO

Would be less iissues if TOR took the guild wars IP approach of Buy and free to play with paid for story expansions. To make it and wrap it up as a full blown MMO is what's causing the issues, compared to the MMO of old, this there is no MASS, it's been replaced by COop Multi player online RPG.

I agree with you on this. While I'm enjoying the game, it's purely because it makes a good single player game. The amount of times I've grouped with other players through the game so far can be counted on the fingers of one hand. If I end up having to pay for an extra month to reach 50 and see the end of the class quest, I'm going to be very disappointed as I'm effectively paying to play a single player game. Not something I'm happy doing.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

Originally posted by IAmMMO
    I agree with you on this. While I'm enjoying the game, it's purely because it makes a good single player game. The amount of times I've grouped with other players through the game so far can be counted on the fingers of one hand. If I end up having to pay for an extra month to reach 50 and see the end of the class quest, I'm going to be very disappointed as I'm effectively paying to play a single player game. Not something I'm happy doing.

Do what you gotta do I guess. I've played solo for when I gather crafting mats and do space missions. Everything else, including all questing I have done in a group. I've participated in two RP events that were well over 30 not including spectators. And not to mention all warzones and flashpoints have been full.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.