Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Things I wish I knew before I started playing SWTOR" [tips]

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Here's a tip: make friends in game because you're going to be in for a shock if you think you can solo this game. At least I have needed to with my assasin.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• coldcut333coldcut333 Member Posts: 86

The med pack that heals your pet and you will also resurect a dead pet+heal in combat.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by coldcut333

The med pack that heals your pet and you will also resurect a dead pet+heal in combat.

Seriously?

Can you in-combat res companions with medpacks? Wow ... great one. I'm gonna test that.

• coldcut333coldcut333 Member Posts: 86

Found this usefull pet guide last night,got charts on what pets like which gifts,contains spoilers so will just post link.

http://www.flesheatingzipper.com/games/2011/12/star-wars-the-old-republic-guide-companions-and-affection-warning-spoilers/

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

The second Tier (mission levels 17-24) of Underworld Trading opens when you hit skill level 65.  It took me 2 days and over 9.000 (Thousand) credits to find this out, going from skill level 11 to 65.

UT mission Companion Gifts do not gain affection with JK droid companion.

I can't wait for a Companion Affection guide, that explains what type of dialog responses and gifts gain affection for each Companion.  At First I used to abuse the Esc and explore the dialog tree looking for positive affection.  But I stoped doing that.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• awesome post pony image

and about knocking npc enemies off ledges, you need to be careful because not all enemies die.  some humanoids can have jet packs and fly back up to you.  found several on alderaan that did this

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Good work guys, updated!

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Originally posted by DarkPony

Seriously?

Can you in-combat res companions with medpacks? Wow ... great one. I'm gonna test that.

Yes, this is true, probably a bug, but it works none the less.

I'd like to know which kind of medpack this is before I add it, because I tried it a few times with normal ones and it didn't work for me.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Konfess

UT mission Companion Gifts do not gain affection with JK droid companion.

Did you mean the droid everyone in the republic gets 2C-N2? Or T7-01, the first Jedi Knight companion (your tank droid)?

The droids that everyone get - 2C-N2 (republic) and 2V-R8 (empire) are healers and can craft for you, but because they cannot gain faction, the crafting of the droids will be bad at higher levels. Your faction with your companions determines their success rate at missions.

The tank droid that Jedi Knights get, T7-01 does like gifts, specifically Technology, Republic Memorobilia, Cultural Artifacts, Weapons and Military Gear - http://www.swtor-spy.com/companions/t7-01/26/

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Seriously?

Yes, this is true, probably a bug, but it works none the less.

I'd like to know which kind of medpack this is before I add it, because I tried it a few times with normal ones and it didn't work for me.

Theyre the "Med Units" that are craftable by biochemists

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• jarziumjarzium Member Posts: 40

thanks for this! still trying to figure out how reverse engineering works. 

by the way, is there a way to heal companion in the middle of battle using healing paks?

Originally posted by jarzium

Easy: clicky the text + icon on top right of your inventory, then right-click the items related to your crafting skill, or did you mean other specifics?

by the way, is there a way to heal companion in the middle of battle using healing paks?

Not sure about this: I always heal them with my own abilities. Anyone? Probably the med units which Biochemists can craft.

@ Castille; thanksa bunch, I'll add it now.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

In Huttball, if you hold the ball for too long (about a minute I think) you will blow up and the ball will be given to the opposing team.

• TimTebowedTimTebowed Member Posts: 1

Great post. One thing I would suggest adding:

You do NOT need to loot mineral nodes with your character (and actually shift + clicking on a node will NOT cause you to auto loot the node).  You can simply run past a node and just right click it and if you have a companion out he/she will run over and mine it and it WILL auto loot for you.  This is also useable on nodes that are out of range as your companion will attempt to mine the node, realize he/she is too far away and try to run closer to the node to mine it.  Note that mobs will aggro onto companions so this is not a way to avoid mobs while gathering.

My beliefe is that people are used to shift + click being auto loot and they assume that it will auto loot a node and they run away with out ever having recieved the item.  This is then what causes the nodes to be unminable by others, but still show up on the map and never despawn.  Just my thoughts, and it also seemes like they addressed this "bug" in patch 1.0.1 anyway.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by jarzium

Easy: clicky the text + icon on top right of your inventory, then right-click the items related to your crafting skill, or did you mean other specifics?

Not sure about this: I always heal them with my own abilities. Anyone? Probably the med units which Biochemists can craft.

@ Castille; thanksa bunch, I'll add it now.

Yep, the biochem crafted med units will help both you and your companion. The purple ones are re-useable too. I <3 Biochem.

I have never tried using one on a dead companion though, I assumed they wouldn't work if the companion was not active. Silly literal me, mayhap.

There's also an ability for each class with a 20 min cooldown that works as a HoT for you and your companion - but I'm pretty sure everyone has the one figured out!

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

Combat & questing

NPC enemies bumped from high heights will die

I am a sith-juggernaut and i almost couldnt help myself  making skyrim-memed on this line.

dont write...it ...FUS...nOOO!

Originally posted by ipeka

Combat & questing

NPC enemies bumped from high heights will die

I am a sith-juggernaut and i almost couldnt help myself  making skyrim-memed on this line.

dont write...it ...FUS...nOOO!

I also used to enjoy pushing people down cliffs, but then I took an arrow to the knee V_V

Thanks for the additions, OP updaterized!

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

Too add on the the orange thing.  Do not sell or destory modable items.  Keep them in your bank.  You can do daily heroics to get an entire set, and at the end of the game you can look how you want to.

It's basically biowares version of aions visual system.

• jonnyfragjonnyfrag Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Great list, found some very useful stuff in there, especially the bit about comparing companions gear, was bugging me I couldn't do that. Should be a sticky :)

Thanks for posting

This, exactly this. This was bugging the hell out of me. Awesome tip!  I had been wishing that this exact function was already there and was going to go to the forums and ask for it. Saved me a bit of face demanding something they already have given us. Heh.

Played: Asheron's Call(still the best fantasy MMO!), EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, DAoC, Horizons, City of Heroes/Villians, WoW (crap), LOTORO, D&D Online, Eve, Anarchy Online, and still playing SWG daily.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by jonnyfrag

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Great list, found some very useful stuff in there, especially the bit about comparing companions gear, was bugging me I couldn't do that. Should be a sticky :)

Thanks for posting

This, exactly this. This was bugging the hell out of me. Awesome tip!  I had been wishing that this exact function was already there and was going to go to the forums and ask for it. Saved me a bit of face demanding something they already have given us. Heh.

Meh, hurts no one to ask for a toggle to default to "on" instead of "off".

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Good post, a lot of those things I wish I knew when I started. Especially the capping at 1000 PvP tokens. If you want you can add that people can convert their warzone tokens into mercenary tokens if there is no gear for them to buy. The Merc tokens are valuable at lvl 50 for getting the purple pvp gear, and can be converted at the NPCs for 30 wz to 10 merc... just be careful not to accidentally convert back because its 30 merc to 10 warzone resulting in lost tokens!!!

*edit*

Some other things that people may want to know that I didn't see listed... some stuff that i saw in the loading screen tips were actually... helpful..

1. In preferences there is an option to turn on subtitles if you are playing on a system without sound (I use this if I'm playing while my wife is watching TV), or if you just prefer to read.

2. If you have neglected your companions affection you can easily bring it up to 2000 or 4000 by buying companion gifts from the companion gift vendor located near the galactic market in the fleet (for Republic anyways). The rank 1 gifts are for 0-2000 affection and the rank 2 are for 2000-4000 affection and are 200credits and 600credits respectively I believe from the vendors. 

3. In the combat skill section of the fleet (again for Republic anyways) there is a quest machine near the PvP vendors for a daily warzone, this is very good exp (I think at level 31 a win is 10k exp plus an extra 11k exp for doing the quest).Don't pass it up if you occasionally pvp. 

4. If you want to bring up your dark/light you can use the diplomacy crew skill to do so. A list of which missions are dark and which are light can be found here

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ya to trow the ball you need to put that skill in the bar ,(cause your bar might have been full when you got it!)equip it in your bar then when you want to traw it just aim where you want to trow it a big circle appear

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

This may be a "well, duh", but another reason to visit the crew trainers ASAP is XP.  If you take the mission for crew trainers at the console near where you spawn, you get a significant amount of XP for visiting each and every trainer.  It's rare that I DON'T jump a level from that mission.

Thanks for the list, Pony!

Updated and added a exploring, datacron / matrix cube section.