Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Matt Higby Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment has kicked up the PR machine into high gear recently and has been releasing tons of interesting new material. MMORPG.com recently had the opportunity to catch up with the game's Creative Director Matt Higby to talk about PlanetSide 2. See what he's got to say and then leave us a couple of thoughts in the comments.

With the previous answers in mind, what steps have been taken in PlanetSide 2 to enhance or diminish the satisfaction (and agony) of your most favorite and least favorite aspects of the game?

From the start we’ve been thinking about those remarkable experiences that are so uniquely “PlanetSide” (we actually call them “PlanetSide moments”) and how we can deliver on those more frequently. One big thing we’ve done to make that happen is create an all new Mission system that allows veteran players to create missions which troops can follow. This system allows new players to rapidly find their way into badass scenarios, ensures that large scale battles are happening more often and simultaneously addresses downtime by letting players have shortcuts to get to the fun stuff.

Read more of Derek Czerkaski's PlanetSide 2: Matt Higby Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

good well rounded interview for those who dont know about the game.

personally i hope they reach their goal, if anything it could very well be a reality since they dont have to worry about other elements like pve content

• PhirmwarePhirmware Member UncommonPosts: 43

All I can say is.......

Please SOE, don't ^%$# this one up.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

If there is one game that I can say "realy wish I had played that" It would be Planetside. From what friends said it was unique. If I remember correctly the only real draw back was the hacking, which you would hope they would get right this time round!

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Man I cannot f*cking wait...

TR for LIFE!

• KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    I played the first one since closed beta and it was most certainly the definitive MMOFPS. I can't honestly say I ever experienced hackers at any time in all the yearys I played though. I will absolutely be trying to get into the PS2 beta and can almost guarantee I'll be playing when they go live.
  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Oh ya,

Can we have Derek do "all" the planetside2 interviews from now on?

:D

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Keeping an eye on this game myself. Not sure on which faction yet, though. :)

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by MikeB

Keeping an eye on this game myself. Not sure on which faction yet, though. :)

There is really only 1 good choice, TR. Mind you if we re all TR we won t have anyone to kill. So if you MikeB go another faction let me know, so I can kill you many times for all my bans on here:)

• Raymac26Raymac26 Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Scot

If there is one game that I can say "realy wish I had played that" It would be Planetside. From what friends said it was unique. If I remember correctly the only real draw back was the hacking, which you would hope they would get right this time round!

You're right. The gameplay was very very unique. I've never seen a game come close to Planetside either before it or since. It really is hard to describe the effect of being in a massive battle, even when you are just in a little skirmish on the side.

The word "epic" gets thrown around alot, but when you see hundreds of live players all battling at once with different vehicles and weapons...well "epic" feels like the perfect word.

The main downfall of Planetside (and this can be debated) is that it was ahead of its time, so the technology created a few issues. Well, time has caught up which is why I can't wait to see the sequel.

• SirisianSirisian Member Posts: 7

If you like Planetside 2 I recommend voting in the tentonhammer most anticipated game of 2012 poll.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/poll/most-anticipated-game-of-2012-finals

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

SOE need to make clear that this is truely a MASSIVE FPS because most people on non MMO forums think this is another Global Agenda or all them other non MMOFPS games that market themselves as one.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I'm not sure how to digest the response of 1000s of players fighting together. Did PS1 even have 1000s? I thought it was only a few hundred. Maybe its 1000 per map/instance? Oh well, more targets = xp.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I am watching you planetside 2, closely....

Probably one of my most anticipated games paralell to TSW and GW2

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I LOVE faction vs faction,persistent world,24/7 fightiing.DAOC ruined me for any  game that does not have it.Needless to say,I'm very excited about the possibilitys.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I played as NC and TR in PS1,I think I'll be going purple in PS2 to start off ...Can't friggin wait!
  • tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by mmoguy43

I'm not sure how to digest the response of 1000s of players fighting together. Did PS1 even have 1000s? I thought it was only a few hundred. Maybe its 1000 per map/instance? Oh well, more targets = xp.

The scale really is that large... All it takes is like 350 ppl per side.

We're talking about taking just as many ppl that play MMORPGs and putting them into a FPS battle.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

I wonder if the May date in the story of going through the wormhole to the new alien planet is the actual release date easter egg. Hmmmmmmmm

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Originally posted by mmoguy43

It came very close, the early PS1 didn't have the 200 per side pop locks as it does now, They were double that.  There were many battles just a few hunderd short of 1000 players. It caused issues though, hence why the 400 player per cont pop  lock was patched in.

• RebornDragonRebornDragon Member UncommonPosts: 121

PS2 will be directly competing with Dust514 (CCP). It will be a pretty good match up and hopefully the players will win due to the competition between the two companies. Now I just wish there was some real competition to EVE.

Originally posted by RebornDragon

PS2 will be directly competing with Dust514 (CCP). It will be a pretty good match up and hopefully the players will win due to the competition between the two companies. Now I just wish there was some real competition to EVE.

I highly doubt that... Dust514, and Firefall for that matter, can't touch Planetside. Planetside is strictly player battles, not NPCs with dumb AI. If you want to play a game where you kill monster or NPCs then go right ahead... But nothing will match the scale of Planetside when it comes to depth, gameplay, and most importantly, teamwork.

Nothing immerses you more in a FPS game than a MASSIVE battle that is driven by the players... not the game. In Planetside, YOU play the game... The game doesn't play you.

• blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144

Yes PS1 as it is currently I believe is 3 factions with a max of 133 per faction per continent.  All three factions can be on same continent fighting each other.  Getting anywhere close to that lead to great fights in Planetside that have never been matched in anything I have played.

I too am hoping very much they don't mess it up.

• blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144

Also if you need more info www.planetside-universe.com is a great place.  This interview is getting great reception there.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by blbeta

Yes PS1 as it is currently I believe is 3 factions with a max of 133 per faction per continent.  All three factions can be on same continent fighting each other.  Getting anywhere close to that lead to great fights in Planetside that have never been matched in anything I have played.

I too am hoping very much they don't mess it up.

I swear the pop lock used to be much bigger back in 2003, infact I even remember when they were trying to break a record and got something like 3400 people onto a Single Island Battle.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

yea planetside had i think 188vs188v188, around those numbers at launch...could have been higher, its 133 vs 133 vs 133 now though.

its highly possibly they will have over 1000 people per continent in PS2.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.