Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Impressions

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Thillian

Close your eyes, control your breath, count to ten. And read again my previous post.

You mean the post that said all of their senior writers had no history on IMDB whatsoever?  Oh that would be the post I just quoted while posting links to their histories on IMDB right? Got it. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

How do you know they have a degree in writing, and make a living?

And how do you know they don't?

Just because something isn't on IMDB does not imply more than it is not on IMDB.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by dubyahite

Close your eyes, control your breath, count to ten. And read again my previous post.

You mean the post that said all of their senior writers had no history on IMDB whatsoever?  Oh that would be the post I just quoted while posting links to their histories on IMDB right? Got it. 

Here's the summary extracted from my previous post.

Lead Writer -- Daniel Erikson -  two registered items on imdb - SWTOR and Dragon Age.

Senior Writer - Hall Hood - One item on imdb - SWTOR

Senior Writer - Alex Freed - One item on imdb - SWTOR

Last Senior Writer - Drew Karpyshin - SWTOR and Mass Effect 1 and assistance on Dragon Age.

Then about 10 regular writers with a single history on imdb - SWTOR.

REALITY CHECK

Here's the summary extracted from my previous post.

Lead Writer -- Daniel Erikson -  two registered items on imdb - SWTOR and Dragon Age.

Senior Writer - Hall Hood - One item on imdb - SWTOR

Senior Writer - Alex Freed - One item on imdb - SWTOR

Last Senior Writer - Drew Karpyshin - SWTOR and Mass Effect 1 and assistance on Dragon Age.

Then about 10 regular writers with a single history on imdb - SWTOR.

Wrong again.

Jennifer Helper - Senior Writer Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age 2, SWTOR  (How many years of professional writing is that?)

Mary Kirby - DA:O,  DA: 2, SWTOR

Neil Pollner Mass Effect 3, SWTOR

Chris Helper - Mass Effect 2

Also you left out some of Karpyshin's work:

Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, Jade Empire, NWN, KoTOR

You have no idea what the background of the rest of those writers is.  IMDB doesn't tell you. 

You're still completely wrong. I'm going to bed. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

epic thread.

Originally posted by SanHor

Poor team really. Appart from few names involved as assisstant writers for ME or DA:O no one has any projects in the past. I find that hard to believe after so much money spent in development. Wasn't the story the main selling point of this game?

I guess they just assessed that good voice acting will suffice to hide the lack of quality in story in the eyes of their expected audience.

REALITY CHECK

You're saying that for the fourth time now, frankly I begin to like your style.

REALITY CHECK

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Precusor
    epic thread.

Yeah, epicness goes usually hand in hand with site moderation. Hopefully it will come soon...

You're saying that for the fourth time now, frankly I begin to like your style.

Yeah I have to backtrack on the bed thing again. 

Found Hall Hood's LinkedIn profile for ya. Hope she doesn't mind.  http://www.linkedin.com/pub/hall-hood/5/47a/799

Hall Hood's Experience

Senior Writer

BioWare Austin

Public Company; 501-1000 employees; ERTS; Computer Games industry

May 2006 – Present (5 years 8 months)

Creating stories, characters, quests and dialogue for the Jedi Knight and Smuggler classes, as well as multiplayer content and many other written components of the game's design. Additional duties include developing marketing materials, critiquing other writers' creative output, mentoring junior members of the writing staff and directly interacting with BioWare's fans.

Adjunct Faculty

Austin Community College

Educational Institution; 1001-5000 employees; Higher Education industry

January 2010 – June 2011 (1 year 6 months)

Teaching "Introduction to Game Development" and "Interactive Writing" courses for the Game Design Specialization degree plan.

Head Writer

Creative Projects, Inc.

October 1993 – December 2005 (12 years 3 months)

In-house creative development and author of numerous feature film and television projects.

Contract Writer, Ultima 2 Online MMO

Electronic Arts

Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; ERTS; Computer Games industry

October 2000 – December 2000 (3 months)

Hall Hood's Education

The University of Texas at Austin

B.S., Radio-Television-Film

1988 – 1992

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597

IMDB does track video games media and films media. SWTOR is a video game with strong emphasis ont cut-scenes, trying to create a film-like experience. Majority of the SWTOR writers have no history recorded on imdb, therefore, SWTOR is possibly their first professional contract in this industry. It doesn't matter if they wrote 5 comics and 3 novels for a SF magazine, SWTOR is not a magazine or a comic book. 

So what I understand is, when Stephen King tells a movie studio and says, I will right the movie of my next book adaptation, the studio will ell him, sorry Mr King, you are not a professional writer because you never wrote a movie, tv show or some quest in a video game...laughable...go back to bed as you clearly have no idea what it takes to be a professional writer.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

mate you need a hug.

i like swtor alot and it sounds like you need a breather from mmo's all together. have a beer and play something that you like.

get some christmas cheer up ya!

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Writing for a video game is different than writing a book, a comic, a tv show. The dialogue to me sounds deep, complex, and long enough to be interesting but light and superficial enough to fit comfortably in the game atmosphere. The actors sound believable saying their lines. What else is needed? War and Peace?

I read plenty of fiction, non-fiction, and like different styles of writing. And I don't notice anything out of place with SWTOR... Is your critique for real? It sounds like you're describing any MMO on the market, except this one has a voiced story. But you're saying you want to skip the story... Um, you know it's an MMO RPG (role playing game) right? The main attraction of SWTOR is the cinematic story, the side meal is the standard MMO quest mechanics.

A few things:

-if someone wins a conversation roll in dialogue, they automatically get a very low roll at the next opportunity. More chances for everyone to get something to say.

-There are four different body types.

-You do control your character in dialogue cutscenes. But it's dialogue... There's no backflips, cartwheels, or barrel rolls in dialogue. How is dialogue taking control away from your character? In most MMOs when you get on transportation, it's taking control away from you to achieve a purpose, which is transportation. The same with dialogue.

I don't know whether to believe this is an actual review or a joke. I wonder how other MMOs would compare with this review lol. But you could call me biased, because I'm actually enjoying SWTOR. And once you go voiced, you don't go back.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Day 1 Appalling

Appalling character models, looking like aliens from x-file, slim and long legs and arms, extremly silly looking faces, cartoony even, mixed with a bit Asian style. I began to skip cut-scenes and dialogues during the fourth quest already. For me playing a game means - interacting and controling my character. The dialogue and cut-scene system KEEPS taking off the control of my character and make me watch some laughable cut-scenes, which Uwe Boll could write better. Afterall, even the worst film writer/director is still better than the best IT programmer. Funny they spent all this milions on professional voice actors, yet not a single penny on professional story writers. (thanks to further imdb demonstration - majority of their writers, including senior writers and lead writers, have no history on IMDB whatsoever, i.e. SWTOR is possibly their first professional contract in this industry).

The camera is messed up and clunky, the turning is too fast, and reducing sensitivity makes the mouse too slow in menus. Apparently, the automatic camera rotation (to the center behind the back of the character) can't be turned off in options, I'm limited to 4 ability bars, graphic options are limited to "textures, resolutions, shadows", UI is immovable and fixed on place,  the technical side Is simply appalling and clunky. Is this supposed to be AAA title?

Day 2 Abysmal

Tried my first Flashpoint. Ran it through in two people with no problems, even though it was recommended to have 4. In my manio-cut-scene skipping and dialogues-fast-forwarding, I was limited by my group partner, since our dialogues had to be synchronized. Abysmal design. During these dialogues, even though I was clicking on dialogue lines, my group buddy was speaking all the time (must had a higher social rating, as I was told). So I was just passively watching some abysmally amateurish dialogues for 50% of the time we were in. Incredible.

Apart from that, I got a companion, some red-skinned mutant with a Rhino head that kept commenting on everything I did. Good thing is, after I picked my crew skills (crafting) I could send him to a 3 minute gathering mission, which I kept using all day thereafter.  Apparently, at later levels, I was told I have to use the companion system in combat, manage his inventory and skills, otherwise the combat gets incredibly hard. WHY ON EARTH there's a an NPC companion system in MMORPG, when there's thousands of people around me? 

Day 3  Horror

I could no longer stand the endless same-looking corridors of Coruscant. In addition, my character looked  like a clown that had been tortured on rack all his childhood. I decided to roll a cyborg, which has basically the same appearance-customization options as the human I had before, just that he can wear some fancy sun glasses. After a couple of hours, I noticed I'm getting the same skills as I had on my previous character, with slighly different name, so I rerolled again. This time a Trooper, and with my dialogue-skipping technique™, I was able to get to level 15 on that day. I noticed, the skills I used at level 2, I kept using at level 15 (rockets, granade and reload from time to time). My companion now doesn't look like a red-skinned mutant with a Rhino head, but instead like a red-skinned mutant with a cat-like head. He's annoying me to the same extent though.

Day 4 Uninstall

The game flow seems not to be changing, just the environment shifts a little. Pick up main quest -> 2-3 supplementary quests, kill the nearest mobs -> turn the quests, get main quest, run to next hub, pick 2-3 supplementary quests, kill the nearest mobs -> turn the quests, get main quest run, run to next hub, pick 2-3 supplementary quests,...

I can't see here any longetivy, nor potential, nor craftsmanship, nor passion, nor innovation. This was all done by managerial busy-bodies, who believe that the marketing is more important than the game itself (which is true to an extent).  Bioware games are not really interactive movies, as often labelled, but rather uninteractive games. TOR is no different, half of the time you'll be looking at poorly executed and amateurish dialogues and cut-scenes and half of the time you'll be pressing the same three keys in combat (or running back and forth through the same coruscant corridors), at least, that was my experience. I deeply regret the decision to buy this P.O.S.

I'm sorry but I can't take anything you say seriously when your supporting a piss poor game like Vanguard, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Yes, but that still just demonstrates what I'm saying.

5 years and 8 months - working for SWTOR. Before, "in-house numerous feature films", which noone probably ever saw outside the "house". Please, I beg, anyone on these forums, if you ever saw this in-house feature film of Hall Hood, please add your opinion of it here. 

In other words, her qualification prior SWTOR consists of numerous feature films and television projects, which aren't mentioned on IMDB -- as far as I know, even the most "indie" television projects are listed on IMDB, so these projects had to be ultra-underground-indie.

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by Normike

I read plenty of fiction, non-fiction, and like different styles of writing. And I don't notice anything out of place with SWTOR... Is your critique for real? It sounds like you're describing any MMO on the market, except this one has a voiced story. But you're saying you want to skip the story... Um, you know it's an MMO RPG (role playing game) right? The main attraction of SWTOR is the cinematic story, the side meal is the standard MMO quest mechanics.

You have no idea what RPG is then. You're describing a Story-Telling Game, which is separate from RPG. RPG solely represents the mechanics of character advencement and combat, etc, story is just a premium extra. Heavy story-oriented games are called STORY-TELLING GAMES.  And as far as I know this is not MMOSTG (MultiMassive Story-Telling Game).

REALITY CHECK

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

I see your point Thillian, game is clearly not for you. Altho I must say, you played the "fanboy" card too soon. Anyone disagreeing with you and liking the game is a fanboy now? That is a sad standpoint.

I enjoy the game. I did not rush to 50 so I cant say how I will enjoy endgame, but being on a pvp server and looking to mostly pvp I think I'll be fine with it.

I have only run a few flahspoints so far, I like the cutscenes, I like the story and how flashpoints (and questlines for that matter) unfold differently depending on you and your fellow teammates. About story.... I rarely read a book or see a movie where the story is actually awesome and there's a twist I didnt see coming a mile away etc... rarely. I NEVER play a game where I think the story is amazing and I'm completely engulfed by it. I think ppl are expecting too much. I came into this game with no expectations at all and I'm quite happy about the game so far.

I dont mind the character models at all. Realistic characters is not what I look for in an mmo.

That's not to say there arent things I dislike, like when rolling alts sometimes the voiceacting storylines get boring. Many quests are shared and hammering spacebar isnt time well spent. Also the AH is a failure (again, how can games keep releasing with terribad AH?). There's not enough options for sorting and looking for armor will give you some 50 pages to browse thru, also not time well spent. And little things like when I do a /who search it doesnt do the actual search instead it brings me to the /who tab. These things can all improve ofc and right now its not enough to make me not play the game.

No SWTOR is not an interactive movie lol. Whoever thinks so is ofc delusional. It is your standard mmo (think WoW) with upgrades, I'd say its your standard mmo 2.0. Playing WoW or any other MMO I just couldnt be arsed reading those quest texts, but this voiceover thing makes it better, for me. Companions for crafting and gathering makes it better, for me. SWTOR is also not SWG2 or any kind of sandbox which would come as no surprise at all if you'd watched anything of it beforehand.

Your points are valid, altho they are just opinions like mine are. Just putting this out there for a more nuanced look at SWTOR =)

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

You didn't read the post I made with links to the books that they have written. With a link on the dragon age wiki that states that Mary Kirby has a degree in creative writing.  

Just one very small addendum, but let me make it clear that while I very much despise Bioware games and their 'awesome' stories, I'm not supporting either side on this argument.

A degree in Creative Writing is meaningless. Yes, I said that. You cannot be taught how to be a writer... or at least a good one. You can learn about narrative styles, story structure and how to imitate certain techniques, but no one, no one, can teach you how to be good. That comes from within, and not from without. In all honesty, one's a lot better off just getting a degree in Literary Theory, or just plain ol' Literary Studies. I mean, at least then one gets academic recognition everywhere, and not just in a handful of countries. (Yes, I could cite a recent example that happened where I live, but... bleh. Too lazy right now.)

That said, maybe that's the reason why we get so many bland and uninspired narratives in video-games and in films these days... not to mention in books. People get their degrees in creative writing, thinking they're the masters of contemporary writing, and... just write a pile of cookie-cutter, uninspired and mediocre garbage. Not saying Ms. Kirby's writing is of that caliber, but... since I harbor a critical and aesthetic dislike for the games and stories that she has been a part of, I guess one could infer that I might have said just that.

Yes those are definetely my impressions (says on the title), and I was not trying to hypocritically pretend that it is an objective opinion (saying: I don't like it, but others might, so I rate it 8 out of 10). In addition, my expectations were extremely low, and I'm still disappointed by the final result.

REALITY CHECK

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

mmorpg.com forum 101:

-someone posts an opinion containing the display of a negative personal impression of a blockbuster game

-fanboy crapstorm allover him

-at approx. page 4-5 fanboyism reaches critical mass incl. several reports of the OPs further postings plus fanboys getting personal

-topic will get locked, OP will get a warning

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

Don't you just love how Christmas brings out the best in everyone?

By the way, it's your fault for not doing any research. I knew what I was getting into and I thoroughly enjoy SWTOR, if you don't that's okay. Thank you for giving them your money and supporting their game; next time you should at least google a few screenshots.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

"Milions of people can't be wrong" and "get the facts right " (without actually stating them) could very well describe the fanboy community of swtor on these forums.

QFT.

Originally posted by StormwindX

You didn't read the post I made with links to the books that they have written. With a link on the dragon age wiki that states that Mary Kirby has a degree in creative writing.  

Just one very small addendum, but let me make it clear that while I very much despise Bioware games and their 'awesome' stories, I'm not supporting either side on this argument.

A degree in Creative Writing is meaningless. Yes, I said that. You cannot be taught how to be a writer... or at least a good one. You can learn about narrative styles, story structure and how to imitate certain techniques, but no one, no one, can teach you how to be good. That comes from within, and not from without. In all honesty, one's a lot better off just getting a degree in Literary Theory, or just plain ol' Literary Studies. I mean, at least then one gets academic recognition everywhere, and not just in a handful of countries. (Yes, I could cite a recent example that happened where I live, but... bleh. Too lazy right now.)

That said, maybe that's the reason why we get so many bland and uninspired narratives in video-games and in films these days... not to mention in books. People get their degrees in creative writing, thinking they're the masters of contemporary writing, and... just write a pile of cookie-cutter, uninspired and mediocre garbage. Not saying Ms. Kirby's writing is of that caliber, but... since I harbor a critical and aesthetic dislike for the games and stories that she has been a part of, I guess one could infer that I might have said just that.

I agree with you that a writing degree doesn't make someone a good writer. I was never discussing the quality of the writing, however. The OP claimed that they didn't hire a single professional writer, I replied that this made me stop reading the post. I found it to be a baseless attack on people that are in fact professional writers, which is something that the OP still doesn't understand.

A degree doesn't mean quality, but it is simply one more bit of proof that I could show just how wrong he is.

Like I said, if you go to college for writing and then spend your entire career making a living by writing, that makes you a professional writer, regardless of what some random on the Internet posts about you. Obviously you don't need a degree to be a professional writer, but this person happens to have one.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

Originally posted by fony

"Milions of people can't be wrong" and "get the facts right " (without actually stating them) could very well describe the fanboy community of swtor on these forums.

QFT.

Go read all of the facts I posted that directly dispute his baseless claim that there were no professional writers hired. Then come QFT it up. The person missing facts was the OP.

He made a baseless personal attack on Bioware's writing staff that was factually inaccurate and could have been easily checked online.

I'm not the problem with facts (that's who he was talking about btw, me) he is.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

this P.O.S. 

"A milion flies can't be wrong"

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Day 1 Appalling

Appalling character models, looking like aliens from x-file, slim and long legs and arms, extremly silly looking faces, cartoony even, mixed with a bit Asian style. I began to skip cut-scenes and dialogues during the fourth quest already. For me playing a game means - interacting and controling my character. The dialogue and cut-scene system KEEPS taking off the control of my character and make me watch some laughable cut-scenes, which Uwe Boll could write better. Afterall, even the worst film writer/director is still better than the best IT programmer. Funny they spent all this milions on professional voice actors, yet not a single penny on professional story writers.

The camera is all fucked up, the turning is too fast, and reducing sensitivity makes the mouse too slow in menus. Apparently, the automatic camera rotation (to the center behind the back of the character) can't be turned off in options, I'm limited to 4 ability bars, graphic options are limited to "textures, resolutions, shadows", UI is immovable and fixed on place,  the technical side Is simply appalling.

Day 2 Abysmal

Tried my first Flashpoint. Ran it through in two people with no problems, even though it was recommended to have 4. In my manio-cut-scene skipping and dialogues-fast-forwarding, I was limited by my group partner, since our dialogues had to be synchronized. Abysmal design. During these dialogues, even though I was clicking on dialogue lines, my group buddy was speaking all the time (must had a higher social rating, as I was told). So I was just passively watching some abysmally amateurish dialogues for 50% of the time we were in. Incredible.

Apart from that, I got a companion, some red-skinned mutant with a Rhino head that kept commenting on everything I did. Good thing is, after I picked my crew skills (crafting) I could send him to a 3 minute gathering mission, which I kept using all day thereafter.  Apparently, at later levels, I was told I have to use the companion system in combat, manage his inventory and skills, otherwise the combat gets incredibly hard. WHY ON EARTH there's a an NPC companion system in MMORPG, when there's thousands of people around me? Abysmal. 

Day 3  Horror

I can't no longer stand the endless same-looking corridors of Coruscant. In addition, my character looks like a clown that has been tortured on rack all his childhood. I decided to roll a cyborg, which has basically the same appearance-customization options as the human I had before, just that he can wear some fancy sun glasses. After a couple of hours, I noticed I'm getting the same skills as I had on my previous character, with slighly different name, so I rerolled again. This time a Trooper, and with my dialogue-skipping technique™, I was able to get to level 15 on that day. I noticed, the skills I used at level 2, I kept using at level 15 (rockets, granade and reload from time to time). My companion now doesn't look like a red-skinned mutant with a Rhino head, but instead like a red-skinned mutant with a cat-like head. He's annoying the same extent though.

Day 4 Uninstall

The game flow seems not to be changing, just the environment shifts a little. Pick up main quest -> 2-3 supplementary quests, kill the nearest mobs -> turn the quests, get main quest, run to next hub, pick 2-3 supplementary quests, kill the nearest mobs -> turn the quests, get main quest run, run to next hub, pick 2-3 supplementary quests,...

I can't see here any longetivy, nor potential, nor craftsmanship, nor passion, nor innovation. This was all done by managerial busy-bodies, who believe that the marketing is more important than the game itself (which is true to an extent).  Bioware games are not really interactive movies, as often labelled, but rather uninteractive games. TOR is no different, half of the time you'll be looking at poorly executed and amateurish dialogues and cut-scenes and half of the time you'll be pressing the same three keys in combat (or running back and forth through the same coruscant corridors), at least, that was my experience. I deeply regret the decision to buy this P.O.S.

Skipping the dialogue would ruin my game too. But millions of players loving the dialogue cant be wron, and even the dialogue gives me control over my character. My best advice to you, uninstall the game and never look back to either the game as the mmorpg.com swtor forums

Only a million subbed, where do you get millions from ? Have to love the exaggeration...

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/