Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

SWTOR: From epic storyline to repetitive gear grind, will you survive the endgame switch?

2

Comments

  • AutemOxAutemOx Fullerton, CAPosts: 1,704Member

    Originally posted by skulljoe

    Originally posted by wesleyarts

    SWTOR game was made to rip off fanboys! image

    Do not pay any attention to fanboys,image the true good game doesnt need anyone to defende it, it does it for itself.

    When you see so many people biased defending a game, its a sign that the game indeed suck.

    SW fanboys image will buy a box filled with crap, and be happy about it, image if there is a label on it saying Star Wars 

    image

    Sounds about right.

    Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

  • AzmodaiAzmodai SydneyPosts: 154Member

    Originally posted by Axehilt

    Originally posted by moosecatlol

    Don't mix math with religion

    Measuring world size in "miles" is pretty useless.  True game world size is measured in time, not miles.  

    And by either measure, world size doesn't necessarily make a game better (and can easily make a game much worse.)  Unless a world is filled with content, being larger is useless.  If you take a given game and simply double its travel time (by halving movement speed or doubling the world scaling) you've really just wasted players time without providing them anything in return -- most players aren't interested in those kind of shenanigans, and strongly prefer games which give them plenty of gameplay without excessive timesinks.

    Why do u have to contradict yourself? First u say TOR has the largest world and now you talk about how its filled with content which is clearly bs. People say it has the Most epic story because they are Sci fi or SW fans, what about the rest? you think they will like the story? you people use your opinions and pretend that they are Facts or rules that everyone follow. Its time to realise that the things you like are hated by others and the things you hate are liked by other just as much. Btw am not directing this statement at you only, its at most of the Fans of w/e game they are part of, its getting pretty annoying to see BS used as Facts when the truth is clearly there.

    image

  • Anoebis.beAnoebis.be AntwerpPosts: 62Member

    No, I will not end up grinding for gear... never did, never will. While Star Wars: The Old Republic is a great game, I am purely playing this game because I was tired of waiting for others (Diablo III & Guild Wars 2). If this game keeps me busy until those games come out, then it has served its purpose, and you know what, I also had A LOT of fun!

    If however, I run out of story and hit level cap before any of those game come out... well I am a Altoholic, so I guess I start playing with any of the 9 other chars I have waiting for me.

    image
  • MargulisMargulis Glendale, AZPosts: 1,614Member

    Originally posted by Mightyking

    The game is not one of the game with the most epic storyline, it HAS the most epic storyline. It even surpasses my favourite game Lord of the rings.

     

    Sigh... yes to each story comes an end, and then perhaps the "gear grind" as you so flatterly put it. But SWTOR also has the biggest world ever seen in MMO history to date, even though the game just released. There will be so many places to explore, datacrons to catch, codex entries to unlock, that I'm not worried on the short term.

     

    I never was a real fan of Sci-Fi, but in all honesty, SW:TOR has won me over.

    Dude I'm sorry but that's a laughable statement.  I'm guessing that you're backing up this statement by saying that the game happens on multiple planets, which makes it the biggest gaming enviornment ever released?????

    Add up all of the EXPLORABLE land mass on TOR and you may have a 1/4 of the size of a Vanguard explorable world for example.  And that's a maybe. 

  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO SomewherePosts: 1,326Member

    Originally posted by DannyGlover

    I wont be grinding anything. Ill be crafting, roleplaying, and doing world pvp :)

     Until you get pwnd like crazy by the people who have been doing the grind to get the über gear. You'll either quit or be forced on the hamster wheel. You know how it goes, don't kid yourself.

    imageimage
  • fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member

    First of all Swtor story does not seem all that epic.  I mean VO are decent mostly, but for me simple and limited conversations (always 3 paraphrased dialog options) kinda kill any depth, immersion and epicness :/

     

    Anyway - I think (I am naive?) players know that once you finish story - Swtor is nothing else than standard WoW-like themepark. Instances, Battlegrounds and 'open' pvp zone (on pvp server).  All those to get gear then on patch / expasnion new gear will be added and sometimes level cap will be risen.

    Can be fun? Sure there is many players that'll find this fun.   Still this is exactly same thing that was served for last years in most mmorpg's.

     

    So while games like that deffo are 'needed' (there is market for them), Swtor is not providing any badly needed alternative mainstream(or even 'mainstreamy' like EvE) mmorpg gameplay model.

     

     

  • AzariaAzaria Murfreesboro, TNPosts: 318Member

    Originally posted by DannyGlover

    I wont be grinding anything. Ill be crafting, roleplaying, and doing world pvp :)

    You say that now, but all gear grinds end up the same way. Sure they have some psudo areas for you now, but you after some content upgrades and more dungeons are added you will be forced to raid to keep up with increasing burst, thats the inherit weakness of the holy trinity themepark. The world pvp on TOR isn't that great to begin with, snorefest, the competitve pvp isn't much better, actually it isn't better. So you really have to love Star Wars to actually enjoy TORs pvp in the first place, or at least pretend to enjoy it. 

     

    Actually on a larger point about TOR I notice that TOR like the Prequel movies isn't nearly as good as its fans wanted it to be, however that wont stop them from pretending its good yelling " its Star Wars!!" angrilly at people while throwing their plastic lightsaber at them.

  • EvilGeekEvilGeek londonPosts: 1,226Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by DannyGlover

    I wont be grinding anything. Ill be crafting, roleplaying, and doing world pvp :)


    Crafting in SWTOR is RNG based on a database, it's nothing more than that, unless it changes drastically at end game it is nothing but a grind, gather mats, create, reverse engineer and keep repeating in the hope you get a good recipe. By all means correct me if I'm wrong and it does change but at the moment I don't see it as anything more than grinding the same mechanics over and over.

    image
  • AnolevAnolev Seattle, WAPosts: 265Member

    Originally posted by Z3R01

    All themepark type mmo's have it. The repetitive mechanic at max level that keeps players paying a subscription.

    We know SWTOR is going the way of the repetitive gear grind at endgame.

    So I have to ask. During the entire leveling process you're exposed to one of the most epic, voiced over story arcs ever in a mmorpg. Will you stick with SWTOR once the story thins and the grind for tiers of gear begins?

    We've talked of Bait and switch before, so i wanted to ask the people playing what they plan on doing once the game is nothing but lockouts and repetitive grinding for gear upgrades.

    Yep I sure will.  Because I won't be the one grinding for gearz and lewtz...  I'll be the one starting a new class, with an entirely new epic, voice over story arc.  There are 8 of them.  That'll last me for years.  No need to grind when you can choose to do something else in game entirely.

  • Angier2758Angier2758 Mt. Prospect, ILPosts: 1,011Member

    Originally posted by Z3R01

    Originally posted by Mightyking

     But SWTOR also has the biggest world ever seen in MMO history to date

    Are you trying to troll me? forgive me I just came home from work and haven't equip my troll detector decoder ring yet.

    Hmmm  I know some of the planets are bigger than several WoW zones merged together....

     

    I bet if you added all the different planets and space stations you'd have one of the biggest for sure.  The biggest I wouldn't say just yet.

  • Angier2758Angier2758 Mt. Prospect, ILPosts: 1,011Member

    Originally posted by fenistil

    First of all Swtor story does not seem all that epic.  I mean VO are decent mostly, but for me simple and limited conversations (always 3 paraphrased dialog options) kinda kill any depth, immersion and epicness :/

     

    Anyway - I think (I am naive?) players know that once you finish story - Swtor is nothing else than standard WoW-like themepark. Instances, Battlegrounds and 'open' pvp zone (on pvp server).  All those to get gear then on patch / expasnion new gear will be added and sometimes level cap will be risen.

    Can be fun? Sure there is many players that'll find this fun.   Still this is exactly same thing that was served for last years in most mmorpg's.

     

    So while games like that deffo are 'needed' (there is market for them), Swtor is not providing any badly needed alternative mainstream(or even 'mainstreamy' like EvE) mmorpg gameplay model.

     

     

    I think what gets a lot of long time gamers to like this game is that they could just go the WoW route, but they have a lot of ways they could go otherwise.  Will they?  Who knows....

  • ormstungaormstunga sthlmPosts: 736Member

    I wont be grinding at all. I'll be pvping. I pvp to enjoy and improve (ingame ofc lol) myself, not to get better gear. Meanwhile, my companions will be doing the crafting and gathering. I dont care if someone puts hours and hours into the game to have uber awesome gear, this one guy will make little difference in a warzone. Also to generalize, these are the kind of ppl who want to kill stuff to show of their gear, and forget about objectives so little gripe there for me. I'll just be enjoying myself =)

  • AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,745Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Azmodai

    Why do u have to contradict yourself? First u say TOR has the largest world and now you talk about how its filled with content which is clearly bs. People say it has the Most epic story because they are Sci fi or SW fans, what about the rest? you think they will like the story? you people use your opinions and pretend that they are Facts or rules that everyone follow. Its time to realise that the things you like are hated by others and the things you hate are liked by other just as much. Btw am not directing this statement at you only, its at most of the Fans of w/e game they are part of, its getting pretty annoying to see BS used as Facts when the truth is clearly there.

    Dunno what you're talking about, I never claimed TOR had the largest world.  But if we're measuring world size, someone has to calculate TOR's actual world size -- in time -- for it to matter, because measuring things in miles is useless.

    I do know that a ton of people will like the fact that it plays like a game first and doesn't try to simulate being a world.  The storylines are absolutely part of that.

    If the things I like are hated by a tiny minority of people, that's tough for them I guess.  Because the games that group likes aren't highly desired, and certainly aren't being made much. 

    "Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by JPTX


    Originally posted by Z3R01

    All themepark type mmo's have it. The repetitive mechanic at max level that keeps players paying a subscription.
    We know SWTOR is going the way of the repetitive gear grind at endgame.
    So I have to ask. During the entire leveling process you're exposed to one of the most epic, voiced over story arcs ever in a mmorpg. Will you stick with SWTOR once the story thins and the grind for tiers of gear begins?
    We've talked of Bait and switch before, so i wanted to ask the people playing what they plan on doing once the game is nothing but lockouts and repetitive grinding for gear upgrades.

    Yep I sure will.  Because I won't be the one grinding for gearz and lewtz...  I'll be the one starting a new class, with an entirely new epic, voice over story arc.  There are 8 of them.  That'll last me for years.  No need to grind when you can choose to do something else in game entirely.

     

    This. The game has so much stories that it will last for a while.
  • vtravivtravi Brimfield, MAPosts: 253Member Uncommon

    That is a Major Concern of mine. I hope there are other things to do at 50 other than just run flashpoints.

  • hinge645hinge645 Brookline, NHPosts: 61Member

    SWG (even with all the flaws of CU & NGE) felt orders of magnitude larger than SWTOR. SWTOR seems very much like a basic themepark MMO where SWG had a living virtual world feel to it. Remeber hunting parties in SWG? Remeber riding land speeders for 10 minutes to reach your house out in the wilderness? Remeber player cities and guild halls? Remeber how awesome crafting was? People would seek you out for your superior craftsmanship. Remember pvp raids on imperial cities or rebel bases? Not repetative pvp instances, real world pvp (the only kind that matters).

    I wanted SWTOR to be what SWG was in the beginning only better but alas Bioware has forgotten how to innovate. They are just jumping on the "lets copy wow" bandwagon. So far I am not impressed.

     

    Before I criticize a man, I walk a mile in his shoes.
    That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
  • jairusjairus barrington, NJPosts: 170Member

    its a fast pace leveling mmorpg of course it has a gear grind at the end of it. lol. people will not sub each month if there is no carrot on a stick. from the reports of the people already raiding it takes forever to clear trash mobs to get to the bosses and the instance are buggy. your whole raid gets stuck in places, and you have to use the /stuck command. right in the middle of boss fights.. its so great. i know it will be fixed but yah. raiding is currently buggy as heck.

    if you can honestly say you play for the rollplaying aspect. good for you. but 95% of mmo players dont.

  • DannyGloverDannyGlover Portland, ORPosts: 1,277Member


    Originally posted by EvilGeek
    Originally posted by DannyGloverI wont be grinding anything. Ill be crafting, roleplaying, and doing world pvp :)

    Crafting in SWTOR is RNG based on a database, it's nothing more than that, unless it changes drastically at end game it is nothing but a grind, gather mats, create, reverse engineer and keep repeating in the hope you get a good recipe. By all means correct me if I'm wrong and it does change but at the moment I don't see it as anything more than grinding the same mechanics over and over.


    I like things that you don't. Not a big deal. I'm sure there are game mechanics you enjoy that I don't. I'm not going to break down why you should or should not consider something a grind. Because it would be pointless to try and convince someone that they shouldn't like something they enjoy... unless there is an agenda. Then we're not really talking about games anymore, are we?

    I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

  • EvilGeekEvilGeek londonPosts: 1,226Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by DannyGlover
    Originally posted by EvilGeek
    Originally posted by DannyGloverI wont be grinding anything. Ill be crafting, roleplaying, and doing world pvp :)

    Crafting in SWTOR is RNG based on a database, it's nothing more than that, unless it changes drastically at end game it is nothing but a grind, gather mats, create, reverse engineer and keep repeating in the hope you get a good recipe. By all means correct me if I'm wrong and it does change but at the moment I don't see it as anything more than grinding the same mechanics over and over.


    I like things that you don't. Not a big deal. I'm sure there are game mechanics you enjoy that I don't. I'm not going to break down why you should or should not consider something a grind. Because it would be pointless to try and convince someone that they shouldn't like something they enjoy... unless there is an agenda. Then we're not really talking about games anymore, are we?



    Agenda ? Someone needs a tin foil hat....My post is game related I don't see what you're getting at? Just as it reads, what it currently appears to me and a question.

    I agree grind is subjective, for me the crafting does feel like a grind, which is often the case in MMO's, I'm hoping some developer will change this and make it more interesting, sadly future titles aren't giving me much hope on that front either.

    image
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

    Originally posted by hinge645

    SWG (even with all the flaws of CU & NGE) felt orders of magnitude larger than SWTOR. SWTOR seems very much like a basic themepark MMO where SWG had a living virtual world feel to it. Remeber hunting parties in SWG? Remeber riding land speeders for 10 minutes to reach your house out in the wilderness? Remeber player cities and guild halls? Remeber how awesome crafting was? People would seek you out for your superior craftsmanship. Remember pvp raids on imperial cities or rebel bases? Not repetative pvp instances, real world pvp (the only kind that matters).

    I wanted SWTOR to be what SWG was in the beginning only better but alas Bioware has forgotten how to innovate. They are just jumping on the "lets copy wow" bandwagon. So far I am not impressed.

     

    get real. few like open world pvp. WOW has it before and why did blizz take it out? it was NOT popular.

    In fact, it was a drag for those who want to go from point A to B.

    Copying WOW's mechanics/design is obviously a GOOD thing .. see how popular their systems are.

    SWTOR really need to get LFD/LFR features too. Now THAT is innovation.

  • RizelStarRizelStar Raleigh, NCPosts: 2,773Member

    Originally posted by Abdar

    Originally posted by Mightyking


    Originally posted by BlackUhuru



    "But SWTOR also has the biggest world ever seen in MMO history to date."

     

    Was that a typo or are you being serious?

    You must have missed that because you have been too busy trolling all the swtor posts. Yes they are instances, but there's more land and space mass to be discovered than any game before.

    Since you are obviously not playing the game, you are not the one to judge.

    Not trolling here..  just saying that SWTOR does not have the biggest world ever seen in MMO history to date.

    Umm WoW is waaay bigger in its current state for one.

    How about something like Fallen Earth? EQ2? EQ??? The list would go on and on.

     

    If you said it had 'one' of the biggest worlds to date.. that's one thing.. but to say it has THE biggest is very wrong and really makes you look like an fanboy.

    This times a million.

     

    I think people won't do endgame raids that much more like crafting and such.

    I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

    I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

    P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

    Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon
    I hope the raiding endgame is only a placeholder untill the developers get a chance to produce new story content.... They need something to keep the hardcore peeps busy, but i asume most people like me will not grind the hardcore endgame, i cant stand playing the same instance more then 5 times in a row.

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo HindPosts: 662Member

    Guild Wars has the biggest game world. It's proven.

    image

  • elockeelocke Manassas, VAPosts: 4,205Member Uncommon

    Easily, I'm not a raider, so playing alts for there storyline is my plan.  

    image
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,460Member Uncommon

    players can take responsibility for their own fun. if all a player sees is raiding "end game" and they don't want to do it then they can feel free to either look for other ways to enjoy themselves or just take a break and come back when more substantial content is added.

     

2
Sign In or Register to comment.