Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR: From epic storyline to repetitive gear grind, will you survive the endgame switch?

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

All themepark type mmo's have it. The repetitive mechanic at max level that keeps players paying a subscription.

We know SWTOR is going the way of the repetitive gear grind at endgame.

So I have to ask. During the entire leveling process you're exposed to one of the most epic, voiced over story arcs ever in a mmorpg. Will you stick with SWTOR once the story thins and the grind for tiers of gear begins?

We've talked of Bait and switch before, so i wanted to ask the people playing what they plan on doing once the game is nothing but lockouts and repetitive grinding for gear upgrades.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Originally posted by Z3R01

All themepark type mmo's have it. The repetitive mechanic at max level that keeps players paying a subscription.

So I have to ask. During the entire leveling process you're exposed to one of the most epic, voiced over story arcs ever in a mmorpg. Will you stick with SWTOR once the story thins and the grind for tiers of gear begins?

We've talked of Bait and switch before, so i wanted to ask the people playing what they plan on doing once the game is nothing but lockouts and repetitive grinding for gear upgrades.

It would depend on how long it will take, sitting and waiting for an hour for little Timmy to get ready and then spanding another two in an instance. It aint gonna happen.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I wont be grinding anything. Ill be crafting, roleplaying, and doing world pvp :)

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

The game is not one of the game with the most epic storyline, it HAS the most epic storyline. It even surpasses my favourite game Lord of the rings.

Sigh... yes to each story comes an end, and then perhaps the "gear grind" as you so flatterly put it. But SWTOR also has the biggest world ever seen in MMO history to date, even though the game just released. There will be so many places to explore, datacrons to catch, codex entries to unlock, that I'm not worried on the short term.

I never was a real fan of Sci-Fi, but in all honesty, SW:TOR has won me over.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by Mightyking

But SWTOR also has the biggest world ever seen in MMO history to date

Are you trying to troll me? forgive me I just came home from work and haven't equip my troll detector decoder ring yet.

• VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by DannyGlover

I wont be grinding anything. Ill be crafting, roleplaying, and doing world pvp :)

I feel the same way, but current state pvp is pretty lame, I hope they change how it works when more people are hitting 50... marginalizing everyone in pvp pretty much ruins a lot of the game, makes it so your gear makes no difference at all and in turn gives you no reason to do high lvl dungeons/raids to get good gear..

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Amen to that .

I'll be doing what I did  in WoW for 5 years . The above as well as doing pve raids and instanced pvp as well as world PVP . Also remember there plenty of alts to roll with a different storyline for each also you can roll the same class again and play the epic storyline in a different way effecting the out come . The of course there patches and updates which will ineviabtly add new chapters to the epic storyline . Given the amount of people playing they should come along thick and fast . Then there space combat which I think will be improved and updated in the coming months .

By the time I've done all that and geared up my characters the expansion should be out .

So essentially this offers everything WoW does but the epic storylines the iceing on the cake .

No epic storyline stopped people from playing WoW at the endgame or Rift or any other mmo so why should it ToR .

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

How will you own people in pvp if you dont keep up with the gear?

There is no questioning if the game has a gear grind at endgame or if you will be taking part in it once you decided to devote your time into progressing your character at max level.

So im assuming your answer is it doesn't bother you and you will happily do the stuff you like over and over for gear?

Thank you for answering... I think.

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

[mod edit] I'll simply say I'll enjoy the stories on the classes I like and see if I enjoy end game when I finally get there. 

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

There is no questioning if the game has a gear grind at endgame or if you will be taking part in it once you decided to devote your time into progressing your character at max level.

So im assuming your answer is it doesn't bother you and you will happily do the stuff you like over and over for gear?

If you had played the game at all you'd know that there IS pvp gear that can be earned, so again what was your point on his post.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

Thats actually the reason i never bothered to buy this one in the first place. For every new MMO that comes out, it all comes down to the same end game. Whether youre solo, grouping, raiding, or PVPing, theres always gonna be the grind for the best gear in the game. That in itself isnt a problem, honestly if there wasnt that you wouldnt be playing it. You have to have something to work for at the end until they add more, to start the process again. The problem is, in a game like this, you spend the whole game dealing with VO cutscenes and eipc storyline, and them BAM, repetitive gameplay, repeating the same instances and cutscenes every time the lockout is up. No thanks.

LoTRo - AoC - WAR - Aion - Rift - SWTOR   Its just the next one on the list. Nothing special there.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

The game is not one of the game with the most epic storyline, it HAS the most epic storyline. It even surpasses my favourite game Lord of the rings.

Sigh... yes to each story comes an end, and then perhaps the "gear grind" as you so flatterly put it. But SWTOR also has the biggest world ever seen in MMO history to date, even though the game just released. There will be so many places to explore, datacrons to catch, codex entries to unlock, that I'm not worried on the short term.

I never was a real fan of Sci-Fi, but in all honesty, SW:TOR has won me over.

"But SWTOR also has the biggest world ever seen in MMO history to date."

Was that a typo or are you being serious?

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

This is exactly how I felt about Vindictus :(

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

[mod edit] Yes they are instances, but there's more land and space mass to be discovered than any game before.

Since you are obviously not playing the game, you are not the one to judge.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

You must have missed that because you have been too busy trolling all the swtor posts. Yes they are instances, but there's more land and space mass to be discovered than any game before.

Not trolling here..  just saying that SWTOR does not have the biggest world ever seen in MMO history to date.

Umm WoW is waaay bigger in its current state for one.

How about something like Fallen Earth? EQ2? EQ??? The list would go on and on.

If you said it had 'one' of the biggest worlds to date.. that's one thing.. but to say it has THE biggest is very wrong and really makes you look like an fanboy.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

You must have missed that because you have been too busy trolling all the swtor posts. Yes they are instances, but there's more land and space mass to be discovered than any game before.

"but there's more land and space mass to be discovered than any game before".

Is this fact or are you just repeating what others say?

WoW wasn't the first MMO on the market...

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

Originally posted by Abdar

Not trolling here..  just saying that SWTOR does not have the biggest world ever seen in MMO history to date.

Umm WoW is waaay bigger in its current state for one.

How about something like Fallen Earth? EQ2? EQ??? The list would go on and on.

If you said it had 'one' of the biggest worlds to date.. that's one thing.. but to say it has THE biggest is very wrong and really makes you look like an fanboy.

I was hard pressed to try this game. The reason is that I don't particularly like Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and all that nonsense.

No I do not have cold hard facts in square miles for you. But except for fallen earth I have played all the games you mentioned. Wow never felt big to me, even though it was on the number one spot of a MMORPG user for game with the most square miles based on running speed and whatnot.

SWTOR is f...ing huge, with all the little instances, planets, starships, and open space. I feel thrown back 10 years ago when I entered that other big world you mentioned, Norrath.

In SWTOR you can't run from one point of the map to the end, so how it is ever going to be measured I have no idea. All I know is that I feel part of something terribly big and I like it.

Total fanboi? No I still hate the combat for one thing.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

[mod edit]. Yes they are instances, but there's more land and space mass to be discovered than any game before.

Don't mix math with religion

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I dont pvp for gear.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

This! ...well ...not RPing.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

I remember well in A New Hope when Obi Wan walked down identicle hallways until he found Darth Vader standing in the center of a massive room with nothing in it. Then in Return of the Jedi Luke walked down identicle hallways until he found the Emporer and Darth Vader standing in the center of a massive room with nothing in it and then they spend a few minutes talking at each other while waggling their body parts about.

I love that they managed to take that and turn it into this game. I won't be playing once I hit the end of the epic storyline.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The answer is irrelevant until one gets thru the story and it prob will take some time.

Giving how awesome the story is so far, my guess is that i will roll an alt to see the other story lines. It will be great if the stories an last a few months. I can always quit and resub when there is more stories.
  • IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

It's kinda why I'm quitting SW:TOR. I have a level 21 Smuggler and a 20 Jedi Consular. Both of the stories are OK, one has me tracking down an ancient treasure where the other has me saving Jedi Masters. But neither are very epic. At first I kept going in the hopes that one would turn Mass-Effect style epic, but then I realized that once I hit 50, it's over. The only reason I'm playing the game is for the story, and if it doesn't really compel me to play every second of the day, there's no real point in doing it.

If you take away the story, you're basically left with WoW in space. Not my type of thing. So no, I won't survive the switch. I did the Hammer Station flashpoint yesterday, where there is 0 NPCs with story and 0 interaction with anything. it's basically just a regular MMO dungeon. It was the most boring thing I'd played in years. After completing it I realized this is the kind of stuff I'll be doing at 50, but multiplied by 10. Not interesting enough.

Also, there's no real way for them to keep the storyline going at any real pace. The amount and quality of the voice acting costs a lot of money and time. You can throw out flashpoints and new planets with some side voice actors and generic alien voices, but I don't see them making a new chapter every month; kind of the downside of it. In RIFT you saw them having a fantastic framework that allowed Trion to throw out content at a very high pace. I think we'll find quite the opposite here.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by moosecatlol

Don't mix math with religion

Measuring world size in "miles" is pretty useless.  True game world size is measured in time, not miles.  

And by either measure, world size doesn't necessarily make a game better (and can easily make a game much worse.)  Unless a world is filled with content, being larger is useless.  If you take a given game and simply double its travel time (by halving movement speed or doubling the world scaling) you've really just wasted players time without providing them anything in return -- most players aren't interested in those kind of shenanigans, and strongly prefer games which give them plenty of gameplay without excessive timesinks.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• FrostWolfieFrostWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 54

No grinding at all, i'll be crafting and working on my Legacy Exp and hoping they'll add stuff for it soon so i can make yet another character and delve into the story for that character. Also pvping and roleplaying with the guild.

• skulljoeskulljoe Member Posts: 89

Originally posted by wesleyarts

SWTOR game was made to rip off fanboys! image

Do not pay any attention to fanboys,image the true good game doesnt need anyone to defende it, it does it for itself.

When you see so many people biased defending a game, its a sign that the game indeed suck.

SW fanboys image will buy a box filled with crap, and be happy about it, image if there is a label on it saying Star Wars