Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worlds best FREE! swtor Guide!

Seen so many guides pop up lately, "Worlds best lvl guide to swtor" - "Best swtor PvP guide" etc. etc.

Don't buy into it.

You don't need any guide telling you some subpar build is the best possible build, and it's more likely that you won't learn much by just copying some build from a random on the internet.

You won't learn why you are setting your skill tree like that, which is half of understanding your class' mechanics, and possibly priority rotations.

If you truly want to be good at a game, you gotta play it, the more you play it, the better you get, like with anything else.

It's worth reading up on stuff, on one of the many community sites, places where people claiming to know a lot and don't, will get called out for it.

So don't buy any of those guides, it won't help you.

And also, I can tell you what's inside all of the "Make credits fast" guides.

Get slicing!

Get slicing!

Get slicing!

Get slicing!

Get slicing!

Oh ye, and Buy low, sell high.

Your welcome.

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Don't forget about slicing! How could you leave that out.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

They give you the same advice when waiting in line for a ride at Six Flags..."Don't let go of the handrails."

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Beazt

You don't need any guide telling you some subpar build is the best possible build, and it's more likely that you won't learn much by just copying some build from a random on the internet.

Your welcome.

So... you can tell us what's inside all the guides, because you bought all the guides, and yet tell us not to buy them in the same breath. 

Roger that.

And actually, MMO history tells us that following the "best builds" even without knowing jack about class mechanics is actually the easiest way to go and works quite well actually. There's a reason they're called flavor of the month builds and they work out marvelously. Who cares if someone calls you a FOTM Noob when you're rolling their face on easy mode? Are we honorable gamers of Arthur's Court?

You're welcome!

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Originally posted by Afterlife

Your welcome.

So... you can tell us what's inside all the guides, because you bought all the guides, and yet tell us not to buy them in the same breath. 

Roger that.

And actually, MMO history tells us that following the "best builds" even without knowing jack about class mechanics is actually the easiest way to go and works quite well actually. There's a reason they're called flavor of the month builds and they work out marvelously. Who cares if someone calls you a FOTM Noob when you're rolling their face on easy mode? Are we honorable gamers of Arthur's Court?

You're welcome!

Wondering how much you get per copy sold of that junk?

MMO history? You made me smile, nice one.

You can get FOTM builds from any community site for free, if someone really wanted to do that without care of how his class actually plays.

you don't need to throw your hard earned cash at some random noob on the internet, chances are, all he is saying is second hand info anyway.

If you want to be top dog in PvP, you don't just go and copy a build, you can read up on facts and ideas from others, sure.. But playing the game is far more useful than reading any one of them guides.

MMO history? You made me smile, nice one

Yes. This isn't your first rodeo is it?

You can get FOTM builds from any community site for free, if someone really wanted to do that without care of how his class actually plays.

Ah. I'm beginning to think this is your first mmo. That's ok. You see, there are thousands and thousands of players that want to dominate without having to tweak and test everything themselves. Why not let someone else show them how and they just profit?

you don't need to throw your hard earned cash at some random noob on the internet, chances are, all he is saying is second hand info anyway.

I thought you bought and read them all? Shouldn't be a "chances are" clause here right? What about the folks at Prima strategy guides? Are they cool to buy from?

If you want to be top dog in PvP, you don't just go and copy a build, you can read up on facts and ideas from others, sure.. But playing the game is far more useful than reading any one of them guides.

See second comment above. I think in this particular game, you DO go and copy the best build and roll face before the nerfs. That's how these types go. Now if we were talking an actual skill-type game like Darkfall or Call of Duty, then sure. Going and "playing the game" would be more useful in the form of practice.

Reply's in red above. Just creating discussion here. Not trying to get you hot and bothered :)

MMO history? You made me smile, nice one

Yes. This isn't your first rodeo is it?

Age of Conan

Aion

All Points Bulletin

Battleground Europe: WWII

City of Heroes / City of Villains

Darkfall

EvE Online

EverQuest II

Fallen Earth

Global Agenda

Guild Wars

Matrix Online

Mortal Online

Perpetuum

Rift: Planes of Telara

S4 League

Star Wars Galexies

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Twelve Sky 2

Warhammer Online

World of Warcraft

Xsyon Earth 2012

Sure, it's my first.

Ah. I'm beginning to think this is your first mmo. That's ok. You see, there are thousands and thousands of players that want to dominate without having to tweak and test everything themselves. Why not let someone else show them how and they just profit?

Your answer has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote, so I'll just repeat and maybe you'll get it this time... If they do want a FOTM build, they can get one for free on just about any community site out there.

But you don't get instant pro by buying one of those guides, it comes from playing, experience in PvP, knowing your own, as well as the others class.

But let's just stay with your little fantasy, getting pro by copying a build, then copy a FOTM build FREE from a community site.

I thought you bought and read them all? Shouldn't be a "chances are" clause here right? What about the folks at Prima strategy guides? Are they cool to buy from?

How would I know if it was just second hand info, no possible way of knowing that for sure, so ye, "chances are" is correct.

Doesn't change the fact that you can get all the info that are in those guides for free.

See second comment above. I think in this particular game, you DO go and copy the best build and roll face before the nerfs. That's how these types go. Now if we were talking an actual skill-type game like Darkfall or Call of Duty, then sure. Going and "playing the game" would be more useful in the form of practice.

Reading up on facts and ideas from others, sure, but knowing your own class, and others' as well will get you far, this takes practice as well, there is a reason pro players, and teams practice.

And yes, it's possible to make a subpar build, but again, if someone is afraid of that, they can go get that FOTM completely free.

FREE!

pretty colors

Ok, ok. I see you're getting a little hostile. That's cool bro. Here's the thing: saying anything about being "pro" at this or any theme-park type of MMORPG is a little silly. No one's being paid to play SWTOR on the "pro circuits".

That out of the way, sure, people can read forums all day long from other noobs who think they know it all. The folks that wrote most of these professional-grade guides (not some gramar-be-damned forum posts from Little Johnny) have been playing since Alpha/Early Beta and have some "tricks" to share that aren't publically known yet...

Now from a different perspective. Let's get off the "be pro at your class" angle. What about credit farming guides? Would you agree that the most lucrative builds and methods for easy credit farming probably aren't shared on public forums? That's a quick way to saturate and ruin a great credit gaining method wouldn't you agree? Probably best to put that in a guide with a small price tag so it won't be known by everyone and their mother and ruined.

Same can be said for fast leveling tactics. If everyone knows on a public forum, that's an easy way to get good "Tactics" patched and nerfed real quick...

Just sayin....bro.

Edit: slightly-off topic: The games you listed. The only good ones in there (IMHO), are Eve Online and Global Agenda. GA was a rip of TF2 yes, but pretty damn addicting somehow :)

Ok, ok. I see you're getting a little hostile. That's cool bro. Here's the thing: saying anything about being "pro" at this or any theme-park type of MMORPG is a little silly. No one's being paid to play SWTOR on the "pro circuits".

That out of the way, sure, people can read forums all day long from other noobs who think they know it all. The folks that wrote most of these professional-grade guides (not some gramar-be-damned forum posts from Little Johnny) have been playing since Alpha/Early Beta and have some "tricks" to share that aren't publically known yet...

Now from a different perspective. Let's get off the "be pro at your class" angle. What about credit farming guides? Would you agree that the most lucrative builds and methods for easy credit farming probably aren't shared on public forums? That's a quick way to saturate and ruin a great credit gaining method wouldn't you agree? Probably best to put that in a guide with a small price tag so it won't be known by everyone and their mother and ruined.

Same can be said for fast leveling tactics. If everyone knows on a public forum, that's an easy way to get good "Tactics" patched and nerfed real quick...

Just sayin....bro.

Edit: slightly-off topic: The games you listed. The only good ones in there (IMHO), are Eve Online and Global Agenda. GA was a rip of TF2 yes, but pretty damn addicting somehow :)

Making credits is easy in TOR, even if that info came from little johnny, he'd probably be right.

1-50 has been done in 58 hours, and someone will probably do it way faster and write some guide on it, that guy obviously used the option "auto skip video" which is in preferences, rest won't save you much time since having to read that guide on where to go, what to do, what to skip, will negate the time saved from skipping videos.

And tbh, lvl'ing is already fast in TOR if you just follow the rails, it's a themepark after all.

But thing is, forums have a way of regulating themselves, say little johnny who just shared his awesome secret credit guide, which turned out to be good btw, decided to make a guide to PvP with build, which he knows nothing of, then people would call little johnny out, and slap him toothless.

Saying that every build on a community forum, is from little johnny's and the people writing those guides are SWTOR gods, is ignorant.

I think you get a piece of the action on those guides tbh, probably not much, but you work hard trying to convince me, and anyone else reading this thread.

Saying that every build on a community forum, is from little johnny's and the people writing those guides are SWTOR gods, is ignorant.

I think you get a piece of the action on those guides tbh, probably not much, but you work hard trying to convince me, and anyone else reading this thread.

Saying that every guide is garbage, suggests that "subpar builds" are the best builds, and that every one of them only suggests "Get slicing!,Get slicing!,Get slicing!" is equally as ignorant I would say.

Maybe I do get a slice. Maybe I wrote one. Maybe I wrote them all under different pen names in my free time. Thanks for assuming I'm working hard, I know I make it look easy. Really I'm just jossling(?) ya cause you're all bent out of shape and on a crusade against "premium guides".

@Arcona: Not bad. The first one is more of a FAQ. The other two have "pro guide" advertisements! Sick 'em Beazt!

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Needing guides in themepark mmo's.

LOL

Originally posted by karmath

Needing guides in themepark mmo's.

LOL

I'm pretty sure WoW Guides of every sort was(is?) at least a million-dollar a year market. Not really that funny, but from a "super leet" player perspective, I get ya.

Saying that every guide is garbage, suggests that "subpar builds" are the best builds, and that every one of them only suggests "Get slicing!,Get slicing!,Get slicing!" is equally as ignorant I would say.

Maybe I do get a slice. Maybe I wrote one. Maybe I wrote them all under different pen names in my free time. Thanks for assuming I'm working hard, I know I make it look easy. Really I'm just jossling(?) ya cause you're all bent out of shape and on a crusade against "premium guides".

@Arcona: Not bad. The first one is more of a FAQ. The other two have "pro guide" advertisements! Sick 'em Beazt!

Now you're the one getting a lil' hostile there mate.

Never once said subpar builds were the best, it never can be, else it wouldn't be subpar >.<

Slicing is the best credit maker, it'll bring in more than enough, sure there are some super secret ways to make a little on the side, but nothing compared to what slicing alone will give, you don't need a guide to tell you to send all your companions out for lockboxes.

Premium guides = Guides that gives you the info, you would otherwise have gotten for free.

If people are already looking at free FAQs and Guides, they probably won't click the advertisement for "ProPaid Guides", now would they.

Never once said subpar builds were the best, it never can be, else it wouldn't be subpar >.<

Slicing is the best credit maker, it'll bring in more than enough, sure there are some super secret ways to make a little on the side, but nothing compared to what slicing alone will give, you don't need a guide to tell you to send all your companions out for lockboxes.

Premium guides = Guides that gives you the info, you would otherwise have gotten for free.

If people are already looking at free FAQs and Guides, they probably won't click the advertisement for "ProPaid Guides", now would they.

Actually in your opening post you said about these guides: "You don't need any guide telling you some subpar build is the best possible build". My point was, you're being ignorant assuming that's what's in every guide, much like you said I was being ignorant. Not being hostile at all actually, just tossing what you said yourself back in your face :)

Your statement about premium guides = info you would have gotten for free is, again, not really true. Going back to the "exclusivety" of more secret means. That ties into your last statement also. I wonder why these people put up ads for premium guides next to all their "free information that includes every single thing in the game". Gosh, those guys sure are idiots eh?

Been fun Beazt. Nighty night.

Actually in your opening post you said about these guides: "You don't need any guide telling you some subpar build is the best possible build". My point was, you're being ignorant assuming that's what's in every guide, much like you said I was being ignorant. Not being hostile at all actually, just tossing what you said yourself back in your face :)

Your statement about premium guides = info you would have gotten for free is, again, not really true. Going back to the "exclusivety" of more secret means. That ties into your last statement also. I wonder why these people put up ads for premium guides next to all their "free information that includes every single thing in the game". Gosh, those guys sure are idiots eh?

Been fun Beazt. Nighty night.

May the people you have robbed haunt you in your dreams :D

• FINALCUTFINALCUT Member Posts: 3

You don't need a guide for any game if you get right down to it,but some people like to have a guide or two to help them from time to time. There are a ton of great guides out there and theres a cool art book I found at {mod edit- URL removed} that I love looking at. Some people like to collect everything related to a game and for that you can't attack them. I generally don't buy walk thru guides but I like collecting stuff related to a game I am playing,especially if its a Genre I love like Star Wars.

I stopped playing Star Trek Online a long time ago,but I have some collectables from that game that I still enjoy having on the shelf. Sad really,when the collectables outlast the thrill of the game.lol. I am enjoying SWTOR but will I still be enjoying it in a year or six months? hard to say. Remember though,you can't sell a used game on Ebay,but there is always a market on e bay for game related collectables.lol.

Originally posted by FINALCUT

You don't need a guide for any game if you get right down to it,but some people like to have a guide or two to help them from time to time. There are a ton of great guides out there and theres a cool art book I found at {mod edit- URL removed} that I love looking at. Some people like to collect everything related to a game and for that you can't attack them. I generally don't buy walk thru guides but I like collecting stuff related to a game I am playing,especially if its a Genre I love like Star Wars.

I stopped playing Star Trek Online a long time ago,but I have some collectables from that game that I still enjoy having on the shelf. Sad really,when the collectables outlast the thrill of the game.lol. I am enjoying SWTOR but will I still be enjoying it in a year or six months? hard to say. Remember though,you can't sell a used game on Ebay,but there is always a market on e bay for game related collectables.lol.

Well yeah, that's fine, but these guides aren't collectables from Bioware, it's guides that are trying to make people believe they need "ProPaid" guides written by other gamers, to succeed in PvP, Credit farming, and lvl'ing.

If bioware sold a guide which also had some art in it, it would be fine, some people enjoy that, but I don't like it when people are trying to grab money from fellow gamers by selling them something they could have gotten for free.

There are tons of free, good quality guides and FAQs out there.

Being in game, reading up on your skill tree, trying to understand how it all works and fit together, will help you far more, than copying a build out of a guide.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Thanks Arcona, on a thread about guides, someone actually posted some guides. :)

I find the Wiki real useful:

http://www.wikiswtor.com/SWTOR_Wiki    

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Well, the word is out, get slicing, which means everyones alts will get slicing ruining their own markets.

So far slicing has been good to me, giving me more then enough coins to buy whatever i want. But this will change soon, either through an invention from Bioware, but more likely through players ruining their own market.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Happens every time. Economy holes get patched and new ones pop up.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

If you need a guide O_O then please be in pvp on the opposite team ! and lets have fun!

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

You missed that your guide is SUBSCRIBER only guide since F2P cant open lockboxes.

So yah, needs a lot more work ;P

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by mikahr

You missed that your guide is SUBSCRIBER only guide since F2P cant open lockboxes.

So yah, needs a lot more work ;P

You necroed a thread that was started at launch just to add that? Pretty sad. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    1 press space bar
    2 repeat
This discussion has been closed.