Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Trion Compromised

Comments

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by afoaa

One should wonder if hacking is becomming a society danger and as such should be punished by life in prison or death.

If you attack the instituion of society the punishment is much worse than normal crime and hacking is becomming such a crime.

Nah, make the punishment fit the crime. Have all their personal info along with a mug shot pop up in every banner ad on the Internet. That'll teach them not to do it again *evilgrin*.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• chocobochickchocobochick Member Posts: 8

I have to disagree with the "if hackers want it, they're going to get it" philosophy because it's not entirely true and it dismisses Trion's responsibility to manage a secure environment. There really are effective methods to secure access to database systems like this, but most companies either don't do the research or simply ignore the issue because it costs time and money. To a management team focused on production and deadlines, security is frequently set aside because it's very inconvenient.

With that said, I'll agree that users should still guard what information they supply to online companies, but it's because companies are frequently sloppy and not because hackers are unstoppable.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

This sucks. Hackers are nothing more than petty thiefs and should be treated as such.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Originally posted by Faelan

Originally posted by afoaa

One should wonder if hacking is becomming a society danger and as such should be punished by life in prison or death.

If you attack the instituion of society the punishment is much worse than normal crime and hacking is becomming such a crime.

Nah, make the punishment fit the crime. Have all their personal info along with a mug shot pop up in every banner ad on the Internet. That'll teach them not to do it again *evilgrin*.

nah throw these nerds in with murders and rapists and only let them out when their rectum has been pounded so much they can pass a bowling ball through it.

• WarfieldWarfield Member UncommonPosts: 15

Why on earth do these companies still retain this information AFTER you've stopped being a customer? I mean, it's one thing to have old transaction with customer contact info and purchase details on file, but DOB, billing address, and credit card info..?

Anyway, if folks patronizing the game want are at risk, then that's fine by me. There has to be a willingness to accept risk in any business transaction. However, those who are no longer customers shouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing. The risk should end once the business relationship ends.

I really hope theres a class action law suit and companies are then forced to remove all sensitive information from their database once there's no longer a relationship with the customer.

Warfield Runeaxe
    Dwarf Lord of < Stone and Steel >

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

SOE security sucks! That's what you get with a free online service! 

Oh wait?!?!? This isn't SOE?

• KingPinoyKingPinoy Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Warfield

Why on earth do these companies still retain this information AFTER you've stopped being a customer? I mean, it's one thing to have old transaction with customer contact info and purchase details on file, but DOB, billing address, and credit card info..?

Anyway, if folks patronizing the game want are at risk, then that's fine by me. There has to be a willingness to accept risk in any business transaction. However, those who are no longer customers shouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing. The risk should end once the business relationship ends.

I really hope theres a class action law suit and companies are then forced to remove all sensitive information from their database once there's no longer a relationship with the customer.

seriously, played for 2 weeks, havent touched the game in monthes, now i have to wrry about this sht.

• MorrowbreezeMorrowbreeze Member CommonPosts: 141

There is an old lady who may go to jail for feeding ducks somewhere, and Hackers get found and hired by software and Gov entities. Justice at its best.

Best to have a Credit Card of like 600 dollar limit just for gaming on net.

• Originally posted by Morrowbreeze

There is an old lady who may go to jail for feeding ducks somewhere, and Hackers get found and hired by software and Gov entities. Justice at its best.

Best to have a Credit Card of like 600 dollar limit just for gaming on net.

its maybe because ducks and geese kill people by running into airplanes....gg for supporting that cause by keeping those blood thirsty birds healthy

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

We all want total freedom on the internet, but seek justice for those who use that freedom to stomp on other peoples lives?

As long as we don't have names, faces or numbers attached to us while on the internet, crime will be a factor..

I think it should be considered terrorism and treated as such.. Catch one and make an example out of him/her...

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by Vyeth
    We all want total freedom on the internet, but seek justice for those who use that freedom to stomp on other peoples lives?As long as we don't have names, faces or numbers attached to us while on the internet, crime will be a factor..I think it should be considered terrorism and treated as such.. Catch one and make an example out of him/her...

Terrorism?

For a simple smash and grab for credit card numbers?

It's theft at best.

Calling it terrorism is retarded.

Companies need to realize that on the interwebs they need to invest in security. (out of sight and out of mind has been the standard for two decades longer than it needed to be) So they need real security. It's Trion's fault, they said nothing major got stolen and they have a chance to upgrade and keep a real threat out.

That isn't terrorism.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

Originally posted by phoebes

I cancelled my account several months ago. I don't know why Trion needs to hold on to my credit card info.

yes because in that post it specifaly says your name,

seriously how stupid people are, you dont know if your old cc info is there.. its general post  meant for players still playing , god so much crying its pathetic

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

Originally posted by Smikis

I cancelled my account several months ago. I don't know why Trion needs to hold on to my credit card info.

seriously how stupid people are, you dont know if your old cc info is there.. its general post  meant for players still playing , god so much crying its pathetic

Uhmm no it's not just for those who are playing. Everyone who ever made an account for Rift is potentially affected. If you value your virtual items, even if you don't want to use it now you should change your password.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by Smikis

That's not exactly true. I was contacted by Trion specifically that my old information was compromised. But I was only ever in beta and did not subscribe. So I figured at best everything they could have got on me I have covered by the extra security thanks to Sony's PS3 blunder earlier this year. LoL

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by nomss

wow, first Sony and now Trion.

Wrong. Sony were not the first and Trion will not be the last.

The most important thing here is HOW the company handle the situation. Trion chose the honest/open approach towards their customers. Good for them and it really shows that they actually care!

Sony and at least 2 other major players have a lot to learn from Trion in this case.

And btw. the measures they put in place seem fairly thought out - As long as you have access to the email you used to create your account you are quite safe, even if you do not choose to act on the information at hand.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Its OK its only active accounts so that'll be a couple thousand players affected boom boom.

/funny

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Well password changed and card cancelled . It is annoying and its really bad timing for Trion to have this happen at exactly the same time The Old Republic hits the store . I know nothings ever fall proof but its down to these companys to protect thier data better .

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Definitely not happy about this.  These companies need to have better security with the private information that they seem to keep,,,,forever.  I thought companies would have learned from SOE's security blunder.  Not impressed with Trion at the moment.

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

Originally posted by Puremallace

I can log in just fine. no issues here password already changed

they dont need your password, they prefered your cc info.  unless you dont have a cc then u need not have to worry about it.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    think im the first victim among is here who get hack?

left the game after the first month, log in last night and found that my lvl 24 warrior is gone, in replace of it is a lvl 8 Mage!

quickly deleted it.

have already change my password and add in the digital authenticator, hope everything is ok.

RIP Orc Choppa

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by arctarus

think im the first victim among is here who get hack?

left the game after the first month, log in last night and found that my lvl 24 warrior is gone, in replace of it is a lvl 8 Mage!

quickly deleted it.

have already change my password and add in the digital authenticator, hope everything is ok.

This is the 2nd time something like this happened. There was a glitch in the login thingy that let you change a number and get into a random account. More then likely they got you like that. That was a fix and they gave lots of 30 days periods for it.

This here is the real thing. More then likely resulted in partnering with Rissians and opening their servers to them. Up until this I had not seen a "hacked" thread in months.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    actually how does this digital authenticators work?

for wow im using a physical device, so I've to input the numbers into my account.

for for rift, it just give me the numbers without the need for me to link it up.

isit correct?

RIP Orc Choppa

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

The Bioware forum got hacked too earlier this year.

Not a good year for me, almost all of the companies I have dealt with in the past and present have been hacked or otherwise compromised :S Problem is, since these jerks tend to keep peoples' personal info around for years even if they haven't been a customer, hackers can still affect players lives whether they play or not.

I don't understand how with paperwork, companies are required to destroy personal information after 6 months or a year, but it doesn't work that with with digital information. Companies should be required to erase peoples' online information after a relatively short period of time for people who no longer engage in their services... The only info they should keep is the email address and account name so that if a person wants to resub to their game, they have to change their password, billing info, etc.

I haven't played Rift in 6 months, so my cc info and address should be gone from their systems imho.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Originally posted by Vyeth

We all want total freedom on the internet, but seek justice for those who use that freedom to stomp on other peoples lives?As long as we don't have names, faces or numbers attached to us while on the internet, crime will be a factor..I think it should be considered terrorism and treated as such.. Catch one and make an example out of him/her...

Terrorism?

For a simple smash and grab for credit card numbers?

It's theft at best.

Calling it terrorism is retarded.

Companies need to realize that on the interwebs they need to invest in security. (out of sight and out of mind has been the standard for two decades longer than it needed to be) So they need real security. It's Trion's fault, they said nothing major got stolen and they have a chance to upgrade and keep a real threat out.

That isn't terrorism.

Destroying lives (physically or digitally) is terrorism.. Like the group "Anonymous" who tries to coerce or incite "terror" as a way to control someone or something is nothing short of..

You are correct, in some cases it is simple theft.. But ya know what, if I was to steal some top secret documents from the US government, and use those documents in such a way that it would bring the lives of millions into danger you could consider me a terrorist.. Even though all I did was steal something..

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Trion security has always sucked, been playing MMO's for years, never once got my account hacked, within the first 6 weeks on Rift , hacked 2 times ......