Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the game really THAT bad?

Comments

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by Karahandras

Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by StarI

Originally posted by PukeBucket

It seems the only sane people who support TOR sum it up the best: "It's an okay Star Wars game and a pretty good WoW-clone."
    That's really all that needs to be said.
    You forgot the most important thing. It's by far the most professionaly made MMO next to WoW. It's the main reason why WoW has so many players and why SW got so popular.
    People get quickly tired of half assed games where a huge part of content is direct insult to ones' dignity. And market is flooded with such games.

TOR got so popular because of it being Star Wars. Not on any merrits that the game offered.
    People get quickly tired of easy mode MMO's and like you said half asses games. TOR is well made, but I could train a pet monkey to play the game.

personally I'm waiting for the youtube vid 'chicken defeats jedi'

Lore Nerd: "Well in the Delorian system there's a special breed of poultry obscurely referenced in one of the few Image comics that covered the adventures of Abalini the Jedi sorceress that were quite a fowl and very dangerous beings to many a brave Jedi."

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by TJixlee

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/star-wars-the-old-republic-review/

nuff said

heres a quote from the review

Shooting up the place

Where The Old Republic makes the flimsiest attempt to break the mold is in its combat design: a very traditional click-to-activate ability system that borrows heavily from the big MMOs of recent years. It’s enjoyable enough to play with, and has a few nuances, but will ultimately leave MMO vets with a sense of déjà vu at a time when most are eagerly looking for something different.

to me in a game like this especially at end game MOST of your time is going to be in combat unless you just really like to craft. Seems this should drop the overall into the 80s alone let alone warrant a 93.. but I guess people like more of the same for whatever reason. What bothers me is thats ALL they really have ot say about it when it happens to be one of the biggest portions of the game.. They also are critical on PVP yet the score does not reflect this either

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

I think that after I play the story thro there isn't much holding me there.

The PvP seems clunky and horrible, I'm probably sick of global cooldown on every ability, seeing the damage come of and then wait half a seccond doing nothing just bores the crap out of me, raids I cant be bothered to put the time into it, something I just done to much and I'm burned out of.

I'll take the game for what it is, a good enough story, worth the 33quid I payed for it definitly, but subbing for it? So far nothing indicates that, unless the open world pvp that the SWTOR fans like to hold over GW2 fans heads is something amazing there will be nothing holding me here

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

To me it feels like a mixture of a MMORPG and an ofline RPG.  Yes it is a "WoW Clone" (Im using that term loosely), it has battlegrounds, dungeons, raids, blah blah I think you know where im going.   But for me the big difference in the game is the dialog, to me those little cut scenes keep me intereested in the lore and story, as well as Star Wars, I love TOR setting. 

Pretty much every other MMO has bored me by reading quests or if I didn't read it, I'd just skim it and never get into the lore and mindlessly kill stuff.   I wouldn't feel like I'm part of the world, but in SWTOR I feel like I'm part of the universe, interacting with NPC's and such. I Personally think its a step in the right direction for MMORPG's.   

Time will tell if the masses think this is a good game or not, I know a lot of people are bored of the same old same old, I pretty much gave up on MMO's for a while when FFXIV tanked so  the genre feels a little refeshed to me. 

• HerXHerX Member Posts: 22

The thing is the game is not bad at all, it just left to many dissapointed ppl who didn't get the killer feature they thought BioWare is going to put in there just for them. And besides, what would trolls do if they found themselves without any cannon fodder? They have to piss on random things, cause it's their e-peen in question.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Riiiight like we don't have valid points just because you and your friends bought the game and decided you liked it even tho it's more of the same crap we've all seen before and doesn't have staying power.

I think i will start compiling the features list of the games that actually will be next gen and will actually have staying power and compare them to SWTOR to show people like you just what you will be missing. :)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by itgrowls

Riiiight like we don't have valid points just because you and your friends bought the game and decided you liked it even tho it's more of the same crap we've all seen before and doesn't have staying power.

I think i will start compiling the features list of the games that actually will be next gen and will actually have staying power and compare them to SWTOR to show people like you just what you will be missing. :)

Who has to miss any other game? IF other games release and are more interesting to those people they'll migrate. If not they'll stay, which means they won't be missing anything.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by sanosukexsome people love to PVP for the gear grind but if you are tired of it theres no reason to really pvp.. you have no arenas no leaderboards. No political structure that makes PVP meaningful.. its just more of the same and worse in many ways

I love to pvp because it's fun to fight players. Couldnt care less about politics and I absolutely hate arenas because it puts people in small boxes. I just like to fight people in games, mostly people from the opposing faction(s) and as random encounters or dedicated world pvp, is that really so hard to accept?

• HerXHerX Member Posts: 22

I'm not saying they got it all right or that they didn't reuse some of the things other mmos introduced before them, what I'm saying is this game wasn't build for niche, it's build for general public, same as any other AAA title, which means there's gonna be a lot of things experienced gamers learned to dislike over time, but some of those things proved essential for luring in the "casual" gamer.

It's wrong to call this another WoW clone or to even compare it to WoW, as this game wasn't build for the same public. Just because it's MMO it doesn't mean it's targeted at the general MMO population and that's something we as MMO population have to learn to live with.

And as far as comparisons go every single game I saw here was compaired to WoW, but I don't see people compairing WoW to Anarchy Online for instance, as that game came out before WoW and imho still has better gameplay and mechanics, but it's not WoW, so it's not relevant. I get that, I played wow also, but if I compare a game to WoW it would be only to describe some aspect of the game to someone, not to bash the game. And the thing is I'm not doing that cause "WoW >> all" I'm doing it cause everyone played WoW, so they are more likely to know what I'm talking about.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Am I reading right "that bad"?? What is bad? Swtor is incredibly fun and incredibly good, beyond any of my expectations! Actually there are, IMO fo course, only 3 games, mmo or not, that deserves that upper case in Game. Wow, Rift and now Swtor. But, and I'm wow fan, so far swtor is best ever at least for first 11 levels, where I will have my 4 alts.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Teala

Actually...no that is indicative if the game is half-way decent or not, if people are complaining about basic PvP issues and not necessarily balance issues, then the basic PvP needs work.    Go read all the post over at the offical forums where people say the games PvP is clunky and unresponsive.   If these two basic things are the biggest gripes right now, then PvP is not as good as some would have people believe.

Why do I need to read complaints when I've already seen it in action, played it and enjoyed it?

Tae -People need to get better internet connections? Get better computers?

PvP feels 100% responsive and not at all clunky to me.

There is a global cooldown delay that is DIFFERENT than the GCD in WoW (omg something different then WoW no way!) but once you get used to it, everything is beautifully fluid and solid.

I actually love the PvP because it feels a lot like WAR did, in that it takes more then 1.2 seconds to kill someone you actually have time to react and change tactics and adapt, you know, the SKILL part of PvP.

But at the same time where as WAR had like zero balance and like Rift was freaking God Awful - TOR the balance seems really, really good.

I've rolled someone 1vs1 then they turn around next time we meet and roll me 1vs1 and AGAIN the 3rd time it is a close and epic fight with a exciting finish.

So much different than WoW where you knew that if you were playing X class and you were fighting Y you'd lose 90% of the time, even with better gear.

I'm getting stomped by people lower level than me or stomping on people higher than me, all variaties of classes are either whooping my butt or having their own asses handed to them.

It's SO funny people complain complain complain about imbalance and OP classes and gear > skill, then someone like Bioware goes and creates an amazing PvP experience and people still complain complain complain because they don't have any skill and are so used to overpowered FOTM classes and gear supremecy.

My only concern is that at end game gear will matter a LOT more then it seems to in the level up PvP.

• KhurgKhurg Member UncommonPosts: 45

no...the people here are THAT bad

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Khurg

EXACTLY.  Nothing is wrong with the game.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by wildtalent

Yes, and it seems that people at metacritic are bad as well.

Damn, so many bad people around.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Yes nothing is wrong with this game it is perfect it even has ability delay that's what makes it perfect.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

"All these random people I don't know say my game is bad so it must be the exact opposite."

..Cake..

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The game is bad, when put up against even measured expectations for the game that should have been.

It's pros? It's Star Wars. Some of the game zones are huge. In depth crafting system. Light Sabers. Story Line.

It's cons? Too many to mention, but cheifly: The game is boring, with too many time sinks that make the boredom terminal; The opening 10 levels are horrible, more time spent running too and from than any other action, poorly designed starter areas; Quests are nothing special and almost always fail to live up to the potential the storyline associated with the quest promises; PvP is very unbalanced, made worse by faction imbalance and the lack of level tiers for battleground PvP. (Queued PvP was already on life support, but today's nerf to XP for the losing side is the final nail in the coffin); having to visit a trainer every level, to buy slightly boosted versions of skills you already own; etc...

It's an unimaginative, design by the numbers AAA MMO, which has actually stepped the genre back a couple steps by returning to an emphasis on annoyingly boosted time and money sinks. The factional imbalance just makes things worse and may be what drives away players who might otherwise survive it's many other flaws. (As MMO history has shown us, the dominant faction has more fun and for a bit longer than the under-dog faction, but eventually the lack of a viable and numerous base of opponents ruins the game for everyone).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• UzlebUzleb Member Posts: 162

doesn't matter to me if it's bad or good (my answer)

it's a sub game and I no longer play games with subscriptions (my choice)

Sub games = blind greed (IMHO)

no need to pay for the box and a sub, if you believe that there is a need, i feel sorry for you

don't believe me, just ask any ArenaNet network developer

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Anyone with any expectations that the game should have been anything other than what it is hasn't bothered to learn the first thing about it. The game is a very good example of exactly what it was meant to be.

I'm honestly so sick of hearing people spew this same statement out on every single thread thats the least bit critical about the game.. this game is fine but its not great its a decent MMO that doesn't raise the bar for really anything in the MMO world. People are upset because of the hype brought on for the game and in 2012 just about no one was exptecting a 2006 game period. So sorry I never once read anywhere that this game was going to be  mediocre in every aspect of the thempark MMO genre at anytime I was following the game. If somehow I'm wrong and you have dev interviews saying they were striving for mediocraty I'd love to see it. In the end its a fine game for KOTOR fans and people new to the MMO genre but to say this is exactly what people should have been expecting is just ridiculous to me.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Exactly. ^

Here's how things have gone - as far as *I* am concerned anyway:

From the development information, I saw the game for what it was. I wasn't born yesterday, I have played MMOs and know how things run. I saw what a trainwreck this game was - polish on top, no substance below. Whether that will change is something only time and BW will tell. 

Anyway, when I voiced my concerns, you and your friends basically yelled at me to STFU, asked me where my crystal ball was and promised that this game is the best thing since sliced bread. 

I'm not going to indulge you; now you nonchalantly pretend to not know what I am talking about but this board is littered with evidence of what I am talking about. 

So please quit being dishonest; it's very unbecoming. 

OP - no it is not THAT bad; it is very standard but for the amount of time, $$$ and hope that went in to it, it is bad. (for me anyway and I have justified my self elsewhere)

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

It's great when compared to pre-beta WOW.

• BoradinBoradin Member Posts: 27

SWTOR rocks. Best MMO.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by sanosukex

Anyone with any expectations that the game should have been anything other than what it is hasn't bothered to learn the first thing about it. The game is a very good example of exactly what it was meant to be.

I'm honestly so sick of hearing people spew this same statement out on every single thread thats the least bit critical about the game.. this game is fine but its not great its a decent MMO that doesn't raise the bar for really anything in the MMO world. People are upset because of the hype brought on for the game and in 2012 just about no one was exptecting a 2006 game period. So sorry I never once read anywhere that this game was going to be  mediocre in every aspect of the thempark MMO genre at anytime I was following the game. If somehow I'm wrong and you have dev interviews saying they were striving for mediocraty I'd love to see it. In the end its a fine game for KOTOR fans and people new to the MMO genre but to say this is exactly what people should have been expecting is just ridiculous to me.

They gave us what they promised, Im not blasting it because its critical but anyone paying attention knew what tor ws gonna be as a game. if u expected galxies2 or a sandbox, or if u expected them to change how combat worked in an mmo u werent paying attention

u dont like tor u have that right. i love tor and am having a blast in the game. i have that right. im tired of the notiong that people who like this game are just accepting mediocrity

if anything if ind the vitriol aimed at anyone who likes tor much worse then any dfense of tor. When i defend tor i dont feel like im just defending a game but that im having to defend my reasons for liking a game

I feel like i have to defend myself from the personal attacks by people who dont lik eit. As if im an idiot cause i like tor

ill admit im not the best typist  and that gets me when it ry to get my opinion out. That said in the end i love tor cause its fun

The truth is tor is exactly what i was promised by bioware, 

Originally posted by kalinis

Originally posted by sanosukex

They gave us what they promised, Im not blasting it because its critical but anyone paying attention knew what tor ws gonna be as a game. if u expected galxies2 or a sandbox, or if u expected them to change how combat worked in an mmo u werent paying attention

u dont like tor u have that right. i love tor and am having a blast in the game. i have that right. im tired of the notiong that people who like this game are just accepting mediocrity

if anything if ind the vitriol aimed at anyone who likes tor much worse then any dfense of tor. When i defend tor i dont feel like im just defending a game but that im having to defend my reasons for liking a game

I feel like i have to defend myself from the personal attacks by people who dont lik eit. As if im an idiot cause i like tor

ill admit im not the best typist  and that gets me when it ry to get my opinion out. That said in the end i love tor cause its fun

The truth is tor is exactly what i was promised by bioware, 

and the fact so many believe this just boggles the mind in so many ways.. the fact people can actually say and believe a game company worked on a game for years and all the while promised mediocraty and to not just copy but not even improve on most of the basic themepark elements.. I mean honestly I don't call people names like fanboy or anything but what else can I say in these cases.. oh also if you don't see this game as mediocre at least in the MMO themepark areas I really don't know what to say...