Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The #1 Reason to Play SWTOR

13»

Comments

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

lol it doesnt take 15 hrs to travel in eve unless your auto piloting, then thats just dumb. if you really wanted to get somewhere you would manually pilot. also about the destroyed ship, like i said eve is challenging and when your new and im guessing u are its not going to be easy. it takes time to learn the game but once you get the hang of it yes it is fun as hell

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    You're such a goof. I like it. And good reason. I don't really like the mechanics of the game but the questing idea sounds fun
  • bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152

Originally posted by aligada87

lol it doesnt take 15 hrs to travel in eve unless your auto piloting, then thats just dumb. if you really wanted to get somewhere you would manually pilot. also about the destroyed ship, like i said eve is challenging and when your new and im guessing u are its not going to be easy. it takes time to learn the game but once you get the hang of it yes it is fun as hell

I tried it & that's what happened to me, you don't have to believe me.  I went thru that long assed tutorial & it never said anything about any alternate ways of travel.   It was dull as hell anyway

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

lol read my post. i said the game takes time to learn, and i do believe you. im a 3 month old player in that game and i have been scammed, and lost stuff by hauling expensive stuff through a dif area, but you know waht that didnt make me quit. if you take your time to learn it youw ill eventually like it, if not then you will always be falling into trouble in that game, hence why its the most hardcore mmo out atm. it takes real skills to play and brains. im not saying your dumb or anything to play the game, im just saying everyone who starts out playing that game and doesnt know anything bout eve will go through it lol. its normal and thats what makes the game so much more unique compared to any other mmo. in other mmos there are rules you gotta follow in eve its all about survival of the fitest.  anyways it saddens me that you experienced that in your first time of playing eve lol, but its not for everyone. i play it because its the only game out atm that can truly offer a challenge.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Ok, she likes the questing.  What happens when she gets done with that phase?  Yep bored.  I note so many complain of the grind, yet getting to end game fast is disasterous in a MMO.  We have seen it time and time again, yet the developers continue to make this mistake.

Watching the spaceship on rails sequences reminded me how much I disliked that feature in the beta.  Of all the stupid things to do, put such a archic feature in a new game.  They should have just put spaceflight in a later expansion instead of demeaning the game with such a feature.

This is a fun game to play initially, but it has no staying power.  I wish those playing lots of fun, but don't expect it to last.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Where's the article? I just see a video link.

• FrostWolfieFrostWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 54

Originally posted by Samhael

Its her video review series...  Also, on another note. I find it amusing that the haters have now sunk so low that they are saying that people who review and like this game are paid by EA/Bioware. Better yet, some even belive that while people are saying that they like it, they really hate it to justify to themselves that they actually bought the game.

Honestly, its really sad.

Anyway, great review Pokket and i thank you for taking the time and effort of doing so :)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by itgrowls

people who say these quests are really fun, are brainwashed. LOL they just have dialog that's the only difference is you have to listen to someone talking instead of reading. WoW big breakthru.  So let's see Reasons NOT to play SWTOR. same old end game gear treadmill check, questlines with a single kill ten rats goal check, pvp that's inconsequential to the overall world check. Hmmm. Let's be a little more honest folks, how many innovations are there REALLY and don't give me this crap about it being a storybased mmo, if it has mmo in the name and they want you to pay a fee to play, they had better deliver the innovations.

If you don't know the difference between reading a wall of text then accepting/not accepting, and having a conversation with an NPC, then I feel sorry for you.  You obviously don't give a crap about the "RPG" in MMORPG.

Too bad.  Your loss.

Oh i know the difference, you use another sensory organ rather then your eyes, doesn't change the fact that it's a copy/paste mechanic of an older era in the mmo genre and it doesn't change the fact that having a single objective per quest(outside of group content) is still boring to this day. Nor does it change the fact that this game was touted as being a next gen game, which means, innovation innovation innovation. So far they've done nothing but copy other games. Hell they don't even have AOE looting LOL much less separate pvp and pve skills which has plagued EVERY dev since the dawn of mmo developement. Go back to your drawing board and try again.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Ok, she likes the questing.  What happens when she gets done with that phase?  Yep bored.  I note so many complain of the grind, yet getting to end game fast is disasterous in a MMO.  We have seen it time and time again, yet the developers continue to make this mistake.

Watching the spaceship on rails sequences reminded me how much I disliked that feature in the beta.  Of all the stupid things to do, put such a archic feature in a new game.  They should have just put spaceflight in a later expansion instead of demeaning the game with such a feature.

This is a fun game to play initially, but it has no staying power.  I wish those playing lots of fun, but don't expect it to last.

THIS! +1

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

The title of this is very misleading...

(Star Wars: The Old Republic: The #1 Reason to Play SWTOR )

When it should read:

Star Wars: The old Republic: The #1 Reason I like to play.

Having an emotional tug on StarWars is not a valid enough reason, the game & gameplay must be of 2012 quality. Everyone has emotional reponses to their games..(making note of them is not news, nor a review)

...But, the video itself didn't cover any game mechanics anything at all about the actual game. Just cursorary personal dislikes, (etc) framed from an ultra-newbies perspective. That is fine, but why/how do the rest of the community care? Specially after reviewing her play history and realize she has zero experience with deep MMORPG's in general.

She's cute and blue hair is awsome, but perhaps an education on game mechanics and gameplay might be in order. (because that is why we play new games, for better gameplay & mechanics)

Otherwise, give everyone an oppertunity to post their "review" of games on the front page.

Personally SWTOR is junk.

It relies too much on it's "StarWars" IP, and is nothing but another 1999 MMORPG in a different wrapper,  therefore the game is junk minus the 1977 pubescent emotional tug.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152

Originally posted by FrostWolfie

Originally posted by Samhael

Its her video review series...  Also, on another note. I find it amusing that the haters have now sunk so low that they are saying that people who review and like this game are paid by EA/Bioware. Better yet, some even belive that while people are saying that they like it, they really hate it to justify to themselves that they actually bought the game.

Honestly, its really sad.

Anyway, great review Pokket and i thank you for taking the time and effort of doing so :)

what?  you didn't get your check?  I got mine, just contact Bioware Human Resources Dept & tell then you said good things about SWTOR for a big fat payday, lol.

disclaimer for the ironically impaired:  The above comment was sarcasm.....

• spinesplitspinesplit Member Posts: 115

I was in the same boat as her......Questing has never really done it for me in games and i found it very boring and tedious. I usually just want to rush to max level to pvp.

This game changed that.....im really interested in the quests and the story of my character and i dont care when i get to max level because im enjoying getting there for a change.

• ForumTrollForumTroll Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by Pokket

Actually, Puremallace, the reason I spacebar through SOME of the quests is for mulitple reasons.

1. Ive already done them.

2. They aren't main storyline quests and I'm trying to catch up to my guildmates' levels so we can do the same content together.

3. Spoilers for main storyline quests.

4. I want to reach end game on my main so I can start raiding soon.

5. My guild's adversaries are 50 already lol :s

There have been TONS of times I haven't skipped. Tune in for longer than 5 minutes and you'd know ~.^ I pay attetion to the class specific quests.

And no I am not paid nor do I or have I ever worked for Bioware, EA, or Lucas Arts. As hard as this may be for some of you to believe, I legitimately enjoy the game :D

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone.

oooooooweeeee, Pokket talk to me too!! I'm a troll as well! Hence the name... Merry Christmas ^^

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

• UruktosUruktos Member Posts: 153

I haven't played WoW in years, haven't bought SW:TOR, I don't really care about it in all honesty. I haven't played an MMO's since Aion (its been, what, 2 years since its release?) so I don't really have any emotional investment in any games in the genre currently. But..

Suggesting an MMO (that has monthly subscription fee) solely by Bioware style questing and story telling is wrong. This is the worst of both worlds actually.

MMO's have, by their very nature, dull and boring quests. Kill 10 rats, 10 wookies, 10 ewoks, we've all been there, done that. There's pretty much no other way, outside of phasing and heavy, heavy instancing to create compelling quest mechanics. Even then, there's a hefty price to pay (empty world, playerbase segregation, having to do quest lines because of this, burnout etc).

Bioware story telling, is dependent on making impact on the world and sustaining it through suspension of disbelief. To achieve this, game world is specially tailored entire from this perspective, for the player. This way you have the illusion of choice, direct feedback from the world about your actions, and interesting gameplay mechanics that are way more involving than simply killing 10 bunnies.

When you combine these two, you get, heavy instancing/phasing, even then you can't deviate much from the gameplay mechanics of an MMO. You get story telling that tries to be immersive and involving, but fails at every turn because it cannot hold its suspension of disbelief and individuality and ends up just being a voiced generic MMO dialogue with maybe an interesting story.

WoW has good storylines, probably is 10 times more involved than SW:TOR. Thats not why people play WoW. Everyone plays it because it has polished and varied end game, and because everyone plays WoW (social aspect).

When I hear about an MMO, I want to hear about how compelling the mechanics are, how polished and varied the end game is, how "fun" it is to play different classed, different dungeons, raid zones, pvp. I want to hear about its meat and bones. Story telling, questing, while fun, they are inevitably, tools that are designed for killing time, to keep you busy while you're waiting your friends to go to a dungeon, or go to a group quest.

I visit MMORPG.com because I'm curious about the reception of SW:TOR, (I guess old habits never really go away) all I hear about it, is how fun the questing, how you SHOULD enjoy it. That sounds a lot like a single player game to be honest.

Why should someone pay monthly fee for it? That is the point of MMO's in the end, its an investment, both time and money. I haven't seen anyone that answered that. Well, other than "because its star wars, because its fun, because its new, because its shiny" you know, the usual launch date hype.

• wesleyartswesleyarts Member Posts: 43

The biggest reason for NOT to play it:

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs.cfm/blogId/301/entry/22393#post

True hurts sometimes.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

i usually skip video reviews but i decided out of boredom to watch...i'll just say i'll never watch another again...the review was bland and boring and other things were annoying also but i'll just leave it at that.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• drachehexedrachehexe Member Posts: 6

WoW.  1 minute and 2 seconds of useless video to get to the actual content.  Not worth my time to wait so long to see someone elses opinion.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."