Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: The Dungeon Maker

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the most highly touted features in the latest EverQuest 2 expansion is the Dungeon Maker. The Dungeon Maker allows players to, well, make and publish their own dungeons using assets discovered and awarded during game play in the EverQuest 2 world. Check out this introductory video.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

I like these types of ideas but sadly they're usually misused as mob dispensers for power leveling

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the current version doesnt let you play your own characters - powerleveling is not an issue

more info about upcoming enhancements

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=512106&post_id=5687507#5687507

Starting in the next day or two (on Test server only) you'll be able to play any of your characters in a player-created Dungeon Maker instance.

This doesn't invalidate playing as an Adventurer, but you can also play as your regular characters, regardless of level. (Well, okay, you still have to be at least level 20 to play a DM instance, but you can play any characters from 20-90.)

We have still code to create, but we're excited enough about getting this to work that we're putting it on Test over the holidays so that we can get your feedback on this cool new addition to Dungeon Maker.

Please play a bit on Test over the holidays, if you're so inclined. We're eager to get your feedback when we come back for 2012 so we can tear into it and make it great for you! This is going to be awesome. The creativity of this community is unparalleled, and if you can play your own characters in those dungeons, then the sky's the limit!

Here’s a few bits of info about the feature as it is on Test:

• You still have to be level 20 to play in a Dungeon Maker dungeon, but any character that’s level 20+ can be used.

• You can *also* still play as an Adventurer if desired. 

• For this test, player parties have to be composed entirely of either all Adventurers, or all regular player characters. Mixing of Adventurers and real characters is not currently allowed in this version.

• Dungeon Mark rewards are turned off while on Test. (Until we balance the feature further, we can’t reward Dungeon Marks.)

• This feature is not finalized. It’s on Test because we want your feedback on it so that we can then tune it to a finalized state after the New Year.

Enjoy! This will be coming to Live servers as soon as we can finish it up after the New Year!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This looks interesting :) I wasnt really interested when I read that you couldnt use your own toon in it. But with those upcoming changes I maybe will buy the exp pack after all.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Does anyone know the name of the song in the trailer and where I can find a longer version of it?

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

have to say i've been hammering away on eq2 of late and i,m having a blast..so much so i subbed and bough DoV..i think this game is one of the best i've played..so much variety of classes to choose from..makes a mockery of every other game in that department apart from Vanguard which has the same if not more classes to choose from.i know we love to hate sony,but this is a great game.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

What about creating your own dungeon layout? looks like it can't be done. :(

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by alakram

What about creating your own dungeon layout? looks like it can't be done. :(

No seems its not a dungeon maker but a dungeon decorator

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

i hope player made dungeon/adventure and even whole worlds becomes a staple of the mmo genre.

i know devs put alot of hard work into their products, but generally i find most mmo stories/lore pallettes are bland and typical.  this tends to render otherwise great features useless and boring.

letting players be the GM's seems obvious.  this whole "power levelinging argument" is silly, as leveling is so outdated, all it does is justify arguements against removing barriers and playstyle limits. 

mmo clients should be menu's for player made worlds, hosted by the game servers.  let the players do the work of story design and advertising, let the devs put ALL that extra work into mechanics, graphics, and gameplay.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Cruoris

i hope player made dungeon/adventure and even whole worlds becomes a staple of the mmo genre.

i know devs put alot of hard work into their products, but generally i find most mmo stories/lore pallettes are bland and typical.  this tends to render otherwise great features useless and boring.

letting players be the GM's seems obvious.  this whole "power levelinging argument" is silly, as leveling is so outdated, all it does is justify arguements against removing barriers and playstyle limits.

mmo clients should be menu's for player made worlds, hosted by the game servers.  let the players do the work of story design and advertising, let the devs put ALL that extra work into mechanics, graphics, and gameplay.

It would be both satisfying and amusing to see the next evolution of MMOs is a 3D MUD engine.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre