Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 million subs reached

Comments

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by Uronksur

Nice, but a bit premature. The more telling statistic will be the number of subscriptions at the 1-month mark when people start to get billed.

By then it will be 2 million. This is a game changer and will revolutioninze the MMO genre.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Well grats to SWTOR.. and i am sure it will go up more as well.

Just hope the down is not as fast as the up.

But i bet after the 30-60 day mark we will not get an actual number of players that are still subs.. not official anyhow:P

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by jpnole

Nice, but a bit premature. The more telling statistic will be the number of subscriptions at the 1-month mark when people start to get billed.

By then it will be 2 million. This is a game changer and will revolutioninze the MMO genre.

LOL!

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

However, that "subs" has to be taken with a pinch of salt here because according to EA you cannot even access the "free month" unless you become a subscriber.

Are you serious?  If that's true, they have no right to brag until they're a few months in.  And even then, that's a really shady tactic... but it's EA.  I don't expect much else.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/336109/page/1

Yupp, yes, they CAN stoop so low. Amazing, innit?

I know they can stoop that low; after all they support the SOPA act, proof positive that they have no soul.  I just can't remember that many games, even that many MMOs, that have required me to give up my credit card info for free playtime.  If you like the game, the auto-renewal is convenient.  If you don't, and you happen to have other things going on at the beginning of the new year and forget, well, there's money wasted for a "free" month.  They don't care, it's money in the bank for EA corporate scum.

EA is supporting SOPA?! Well they really are going out of their way to be the bad guys.... Reminds me of Mel Brooks' "Producers." If I were any more paranoid I'd start theorizing about EA's owners wanting to go bankrupt so they can collect insurance or somesuch... It's almost as bad as Metallica suing Napster and their fans for downloading rare recordings, lol.

Lol, "A subscription to SW:TOR is a subscription to net censorship." "Buy EA, buy Big Brother." I'm sure somene more imaginatve and less drunk will be able to come up with a better slogan, lol.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by 8BitAvatar

Originally posted by jpnole

LOL!

I couldn't help but laugh, I'm sorry lol.

Congrats...though I swear to God to I can't wait for AAA MMO's to say "fuck subscriptions we don't need em let people play and have fun!!!!!"

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

I think everyone predicted TOR would get about a million initial subs, thats actually low by some peoples predictions. But almost every new themepark big budget mmo has had similar numbers. Its the 6 month stretch that will really be telling, 3 to 4 months even. Since TOR didin't really change the genre its going to have to hold its subs with quantity of new content and quality of enhancements in it's patch and expansion material. I still say more content in the city areas, more races, do something with space, if they can do that subs will increase. What Star Wars fan doesn't want more races.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Xondar123

I like how the bar for success for this game has to constantly keep moving when the haters are faced with the news that this game is doing well.

I pre-ordered, but I'm at my parents house for Christmas and haven't had a chance to play at all. Also the game didn't get delivered to my house until TODAY.

Has nothing to do with it. No one's moving any "bar for success".

For any newly released MMO, you can't declare a game's "Success" based on its initial sales. With MMOs it's all about retention. Games have sold as much as TOR at launch and have dropped dramatically after their 1st or 2nd month. That's why you can't go on initial sales alone.

So again, no bar is being moved. Some TOR fans are, however, celebrating a bit prematurely.

Further, was anyone seriously expecting the game to not do really well in initial sales, outside of those who would say so just fo the sake of being negative?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by RizelStar

Congrats...though I swear to God to I can't wait for AAA MMO's to say "fuck subscriptions we don't need em let people play and have fun!!!!!"

sounds like GW2.. just hoping that doesnt dissapoint.. who knows..

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by sanosukex

In that case... it'll be more like, "Fuck subscriptions. We have cash shops!"

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

I seem to miss the revolutionary part of this game. Voice overs are not exacly revolutionary. Some of the companion functionality seems neat. Most everything else is borrowed from other games and a lot of what should have been borrowed wasn't. They have a lot of work ahead of them and I fail to see the genre changing part.

Originally posted by WSIMike

Cash shops that sell what?

Actually cash shops that don't sell shit that gives an advatange is a whole lot better than 15 a month or F2P that has cash shops that sell shit that gives an advantage.

It's crazy I'd put up with a cash shop in a year rather than spending 225 dollars a year just to play the game it damnself.

Actually that's the starting year but hell after that fucking 180 per year yea not a lot since it's only 15 dollars per month, how ever in cash shop at most I've ever seen for just cosmactic stuff that's optional was 10 dollars, at most on like "needs" you won't spend as much as 180 dollars unless you got some issues.

Not to mention cash shops are optional.

Yea I thought so :D

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

EA is supporting SOPA?!

Yeah, that's what I read.  Their analysts have got to realize what the bill could mean to everyone in the world who uses the internet, but since it's their precious billions they're protecting, everyone else can apparently go straight to hell.  I was surprised to learn Activision/Blizzard didn't support it (last I heard).  It's the closest I've ever come to blacklisting a company for ethical reasons.  SOPA is bad.  EA is not much better.

This is not an attack on SWTOR or Bioware, by the way.  Just random thoughts.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Pretty good. I wonder how many people bought the game though. I expected that number to be much, much higher.

did gw1 put in cash shops? honestly I don't know but I know at launch it didn't

Ok, let's clear this up, B2P cash shops are not necessary.  You can go an entire month playing the game the way you want to play it without the "free to play" model that gives you the game for free then tempts you with powerful items that would give you an advantage. B2P seems the most reasonable alternative to subs, therefore.

If you meant F2P's, you're right, but that scenario is already happening and has been happening for years.

Not trying to steer this into another GW2 vs. TOR thread, but I'll just answer quick - they introduced cash shops for cosmetic items, bonus missions, and extra character slots pretty far into the series, I think sometime during Nightfall.  I could be wrong about the date.

Not trying to steer this into another GW2 vs. TOR thread, but I'll just answer quick - they introduced cash shops for cosmetic items, bonus missions, and extra character slots pretty far into the series, I think sometime during Nightfall.  I could be wrong about the date.

ahh ok I'm fine with that stuff I just hate when games sell wepaons and armor.. i don't see GW2 being any differn't in that respect to gw1

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Still i thought that the game would crack the 2 -2.5mio in it's first week. After all the hype like "most preorders ever" and "limited amount available" etc.

If these 1mio registered players is what they limited the preorders and staggered the server access for, it's pretty weak. Moreso considering the money, company and IP behind this one.

Also, we know how these "1mio registered users", "1mio units shipped" and such stories ended so far.

You aren't wrong, that was one big concern at Pax, and it was answered before that, they really do disagree about seeling shit that gives you "ultimate power" or any power at all in cash shops.

Also your right let's stay on topic because it is turning into a GW 2 vs Tor type situation, and yea I sort of started that, so I am to blame if anything.

Back on topic: Best to wait a few months to see  how TOR's subs are, they could increase if they fix a lot or put in some missing features and make starting areas more live.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Whatever the number of registered users is, it will double by this time next week.  Ever think there's a reason they release games before Christmas?

• purplecowpurplecow Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by Vhaln

Huh?  I thought they had a million and a half preorders?

^..

I never saw a purple cow.
    I never hope to see one.
    But I can tell you anyhow
    I'd rather see than be one.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Not suprising with all the bloody rampage over SWTOR, not the good kind, its amazing they sold 900k pre's. 

Also if your trying to make a point about pre's just say it, not everyone has to buy the game once they pre-order it, obviously having 1.5 mil pre's doesnt automaticaly mean theres going to be 1.5 mil buy it, jeez think.

As for me, Im taking my sweet time with my Sentinel, im lvl 11 on rakata mind prison.

Originally posted by eycel

Not suprising with all the bloody rampage over SWTOR, not the good kind, its amazing they sold 900k pre's. 

well according to many on the site people who don't feel this is the greatest MMO ever are the vocal minority and have no clue what they are talking about

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

well according to many on the site people who don't feel this is the greatest MMO ever are the vocal minority and have no clue what they are talking about

greatest MMO ever my ass

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by mindw0rk

greatest MMO ever my ass

Your ass or someone else's, it will go down as the greatest of it's era. MMOs continue to evolve but it's the best thing going right now.