Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something that I have noticed

i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314

I have noticed that the people who claim that SWTOR is either a bad game, or are quitting have only played a maximum of one day playing time.

What is this due too? Impatience? Are they too spoiled with WoW?

Is there something that I am missing here?

I am just curious, as I reached 50 yesterday and will be playing the game after the free month.

Comments

• PerramasPerramas Member UncommonPosts: 83

I like the game and I will be playing for a while. Having said that if you do not like something why would you spends days doing it?

FUncom putting the FU in fun since 1993.

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

Some games just don't hook people...

For me personally, if a game (any game) doesn't hook me within 15 min, I move on.

I shouldn't have to work to find the fun if the game fails to deliver that to me on its own.

• i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314

Originally posted by Perramas

I like the game and I will be playing for a while. Having said that if you do not like something why would you spends days doing it?

I completly understand that, but it just seems odd that they aren't even giving an effort into trying to like the game. It is almost like their mind is already made up before they even start playing it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

While I agree, problem is half of those people will hit the forums pretending to be experts on the game, without acknowledging they really don't know much aside from the first few hours of it they saw.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314

Originally posted by Distopia

While I agree, problem is half of those people will hit the forums pretending to be experts on the game, without acknowledging they really don't know much aside from the first few hours of it they saw.

Exactly, that is another point I was trying to cross.

How can you fully dislike a game that you have played for only an hour?

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

One day is enough provided you go in with the mindset of giving it an honest chance. The first day I played SWG I knew when I logged off that I had come home and that there was no need to continue searching. I don't like TOR and will not do it if I keep playing for another day or two.

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by i_own_u

60 minutes is a long time.

How is disliking a game in that time frame any different than watching a movie and deciding you dislike it?

It's entertainment; I'm looking to be entertained.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Perhaps they just don't like the game?

I was in Rift beta and quit haflway through, hated the game. Couldn't bring myself to log in, perhaps that's what they're feeling.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    There will always be those smart asses that try a new product out for less than a few hours or none at all and think their views are far more valid and absolute. All we can do is rectify the misinformed, ignore the doomsayers, and simply have fun.

Originally posted by 8BitAvatar

60 minutes is a long time.

How is disliking a game in that time frame any different than watching a movie and deciding you dislike it?

It's entertainment; I'm looking to be entertained.

Right.. well I don't know about 60 minutes being a "long time".., but again 60 minutes is all the experience you'd have with the game. In my experience on forums, it's this type of person who will be the first to the forums moaning about the quality of the overall game...

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

There was a need for forums such as this, but these days when every game gives a free peak to game there isn't such need.

These boards are slowly turning into a market place where everyone can spout their biased opinion about a game at hand.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

As someone who has played multiple guys past 20 it is aggravating when people make claims about the game that I know from experience are not true, such as the "single player" meme. It just seems dishonest or close minded, there are plenty of things to criticise about swtor, lack of auto-stack in bank is a personal bugbear. When you have everything from shareable class quests, to increasingly challenging Heroics, to getting help obtaining holocrons, you have to TRY to play solo the higher you get, and I doubt many have even bothered.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I'm wondering if it somehow makes you guys feel better to put up straw men and knock them down.  Does it make you feel better to discredit people who don't like the game?  I'm not even sure why you care so much.  Your own enjoyment of it should be validation enough for your ego.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Studies show most people will quit a MMO befroe they even hit level 7.  These people have no idea what they want in a MMO or even why they quit.  I think most mmo players are wannbebe players.  Players who only play MMOs in theory.  They hype games but when they play them they realize they do not like MMos and then proceeed to move on to hying a new MMO while they bash the old game they loved.  Thye are not all bad they have fund mmo development with thier box sale money.  But essentially they only play MMOs on forums.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Oh, as mature people, we accept that not everyone likes the same things. The problem comes when certain individuals ridicule our positive perspectives in an attempt to make their negative perspectives the only possible and rational assessment. That, my friend, is simply sad.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by Zippy

Studies show most people will quit a MMO befroe they even hit level 7.  These people have no idea what they want in a MMO or even why they quit.  I think most mmo players are wannbebe players.  Players who only play MMOs in theory.  They hype games but when they play them they realize they do not like MMos and then proceeed to move on to hying a new MMO while they bash the old game they loved.  Thye are not all bad they have fund mmo development with thier box sale money.  But essentially they only play MMOs on forums.

If it is indeed true that most people quit before level 7, then perhaps the problem is that the game fails to grab their attention from the start.  The same thing happens with many books and movies as well.  I think the idea that a game doesn't get interesting until you have played to level 25+ is ludicrous.  Marketing and Design 101 teaches that you should try to grab your audience immediately to get them hooked.  To do anything less is to lose customers.

As far as MMOs go, you can get a good solid idea of how the game plays and what is has to offer pretty early on.  Especially if you have followed the development of the game, and you know the features offered.  No you can't experience all of the content, but you can get a clear idea of where things are going.  I have learned after all these years to trust my early judgement, because it has been proven correct for me time and time again.  I had SWTOR pegged before I even played it.  With two beta weekends and early access, I found my assessment, based on official dev news over the last few years, to be correct.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

I'm wondering if it somehow makes you guys feel better to put up straw men and knock them down.  Does it make you feel better to discredit people who don't like the game?  I'm not even sure why you care so much.  Your own enjoyment of it should be validation enough for your ego.

I think these types of posters (that were being discussed) discredit themselves. If I see a statement to the effect of I played for an hour, the game is horrible, I have a hard time taking any critique made seriously. An hour is barely enough time to pass the tutorial areas of most MMO's.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

I could couner does it make haters feel beter to call us that love tor simple minded and bafoons or to say every postive review is paid for while they go hunt for reviews from sites ive never even heard of 

Like sandboxer.org, while reputable magazines like pcgamer, massively, mmorpg, and g4tv are flamed for given the game a positive review and u h int they took bribes to give it a good review

Or those posters who flame pokkett who wasnt a fan of tor to start with but after playing it loved it made some cool videos whys he will play tor and people told her in the posts she took money to say the good things she said.

Does it make u feel better to do stuff like that.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I do not construct straw men, have you been reading these forums? There are very consistent patterns of criticisms coming from people who display no real knowledge of the game beyond the first few levels, or common knowledge, whereas those that disagree have been able to site specific counter examples, I’ve seen this played out on dozens of threads in the last week.

I am no “fanboi”, I could list at least 30 problems with swtor that needs to be fixed very fast, or there will be a lot people leaving after the first month, and I appreciate other people’s constructive criticisms, but I am simply annoyed by the ignorance of these so called “haters”.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

I have noticed that heterosexual men have barely spent any time with another guy, and they are saying how they don't like sex with other guys, as if they are experts. Why don't they spend a month living with another guy, living the experience, and then they can really know if they like it or not.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

I do not need to have a sub to know that from my BETA experience I would be more pissed that simple features were omitted in a game that cost 150+ to make. I am not fighting those battlesover again with a dev to thick headed to add even a option to pick which war front I want to queue for.

hmmz server lag to hard to deal with just separate the player base and instance the entire damn game. Lets create pvp servers with zero to no incentive to actually pvp. I'll wait until 50% of the population leaves and the game is on sale before even bothering to play it.

Bioware did perfect in some areas and just made extremely lazy decisions in other areas. I do not need to play to also realize the end game is basically WoW.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I completly understand that, but it just seems odd that they aren't even giving an effort into trying to like the game. It is almost like their mind is already made up before they even start playing it.

During the beta weekend, I actually quit and uninstalled when it was only half over.  Felt like I'd made up my mind, before I even left Korriban.  I pushed on until I got to the second planet, but when that didn't change my mind, I was done.  This was an awful game, and I wouldn't be wasting a dime on it.

..but I kept reading how great it was, I read about the million preorders, I read how much it opens up, etc, etc.

It's only $70, right?  (wait, $70?!  gah, ok, ok, still..)  So, not wanting to miss out, I bought it.  Now, after playing a few hours a day, from the 17th onward, I've racked up a decent amount of playtime.  I've made it as far as Tatooine... and I still think it sucks.  I mean, it's not torture to play, I'm not a masochist.  It passes the time, but I've already canceled.  I just can't see it holding my attention for more than another week or two, at most.   and even that, only because there's nothing else I want to play, right now.

Feel like I'm the crazy one, for trying so hard to like this, though.  Who keeps playing a game that isn't fun within the first hour?  I don't blame anyone who gives up on a game that quickly.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

I think these types of posters (that were being discussed) discredit themselves. If I see a statement to the effect of I played for an hour, the game is horrible, I have a hard time taking any critique made seriously. An hour is barely enough time to pass the tutorial areas of most MMO's.

agreed but many people have been critical and have been playing through beta so some could have been playing for months now. I feel I put enough time into the game by now to say I enjoy the game enough to play for a few months BUT i still feel unless they take some pretty big measures in certain departments like PVP they are going to lose a ton of subscribers in the coming months.. I hope they do put out the content patches fast and the fixes many people want like customizable UI and high res textures and some others but what bothers me is when people bring up stuff like that and get flamed because they have a negative opinion about the game.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

The ones I find annoying today are those who want sandbox games who are bashing this game.  Why should they like it when it's not what they like?  It's just silly.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by sanosukex

agreed but many people have been critical and have been playing through beta so some could have been playing for months now. I feel I put enough time into the game by now to say I enjoy the game enough to play for a few months BUT i still feel unless they take some pretty big measures in certain departments like PVP they are going to lose a ton of subscribers in the coming months.. I hope they do put out the content patches fast and the fixes many people want like customizable UI and high res textures and some others but what bothers me is when people bring up stuff like that and get flamed because they have a negative opinion about the game.

There are a lot of posters here that just troll endlessly, and they latch on to things like this because they cant really say much about the actual content of the game, because its fine.   The way I see it, is if lack of customizable UI is the biggest thing wrong with your game, you have a very good game on your hands.