Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Merry Christmas from MMORPG.com

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

This is just a quick little note to all our readers, wishing you a very Merry Christmas.  Not everyone may celebrate the holiday, but the spirit of it all is a good thing to practice even so.

It really is the best time of year, if you ask me.  I know there's plenty to loathe for a lot of folks: the traffic, the shopping, the economic pressure, the repetitive music, the terrible fruitcake, the elves (shudder) and so much more.  But there's something that makes it all worthwhile: it's the way everyone seems to have a bigger smile on their face, despite the stress of the holidays and the general ups and downs of life.  Something, at least in my experience, changes in people when the lights start going up, the music starts playing, and the drinks start flowing more freely (maybe it's just all about that last part).

Read more of our Merry Christmas from MMORPG.com.

It's a major award!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Same to you and for those who don't celebrate, Happy Holidays!

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Christmas is a joke. The whole theme is to celebrate being thankful for what you have and spreading joy. Somehow that got translated to people scrambling to get gifts which usually turn out to be something the receiver doesnt want. Everyone puts on a fake smile and acts like they care about other people. Maybe my family is just dysfunctional but you all know what I'm trying to say. So many ungrateful kids "I asked for a red sweatshirt not blue omg TAKE IT BACK" its ridiculous. Theres kids in other countries that juwt want to survive for christmas, or have a meal. USA needs to wake up as a country
  • Happy Holidays all.

Oh and to the bah humbugs out there - we don't exchange gifts at all anymore, not even drawing names out of a hat - there again we knock ourselves out with the food we bring to the potluck.  It really is about spending time with people.

We are planning a game filled weekend, none of it electronic.  When the big crowd gets together it will be Charades (can't wait to get our fussy old aunt to act out an octopus).  One of the kids came to town bearing 3 new games for us all to try out so I can't wait until work is over today.  I have all my shopping done until tomorrow when I pick up the food for the party so tonight will be pure board game heaven.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Merry Xmas to all.  To the bah humbugs also, brighten your life and get in the xmas spirit.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Merry Christmass to you too, ppls! :)

• justin2004justin2004 Member Posts: 5

Merry christmas to all..everyone be safe and remember to smile a little brighter,do a kind deed and celebrate safely :))

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

Christmas is a joke. The whole theme is to celebrate being thankful for what you have and spreading joy. Somehow that got translated to people scrambling to get gifts which usually turn out to be something the receiver doesnt want. Everyone puts on a fake smile and acts like they care about other people. Maybe my family is just dysfunctional but you all know what I'm trying to say. So many ungrateful kids "I asked for a red sweatshirt not blue omg TAKE IT BACK" its ridiculous. Theres kids in other countries that juwt want to survive for christmas, or have a meal. USA needs to wake up as a country

lol your profile says you're 19 ... you probably are that ungrateful kid. I don't know I just have to laugh at people like this.

whats wrong didn't get that Aeropostale shirt you wanted?

Merry christmas to everyone else, enjoy your time and be safe.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

I may be the only one left who hasn't seen A Christmas Story.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

Yes because the USA is the only country in the world to celebrate christmas and buy others gifts? Right??

Wake UP USA.........says the 19 year old living at moms house

/sarcasm off

Merry Xmas to everyone as well. Be safe

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Merry Christmas everyone!

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Merry CHRISTMAS!  Thanks for a roller coaster year of forum pvp, ;D, hopefully next year, people gripe less and have better games to chat civilly about.

• FrostWolfieFrostWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 54

Originally posted by elocke

Merry CHRISTMAS!  Thanks for a roller coaster year of forum pvp, ;D, hopefully next year, people gripe less and have better games to chat civilly about.

One can hope!

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Nice story. Well, except the part about Mum crying. It isn't my holiday but I'm glad you found the spirit of it all in your own way.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Merry Christmas to all the staff at mmorpg.com, hope you all have a great Christmas and happy New Year, thanks for all your efforts and for putting up with us all

..or at least just me.

and A Merry christmas & happy new year to all the members as well.

Now the threatening bit, "See you all next year!'

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Nice story Bill, this time of year should first and foremost be about family, friends and those less fortunate than us, it should never be about the gifts. Have a great holiday season all!

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Your story brought back a lot of memories, some good and some bad.  As a kid what I remember as the best christmas was the year that I and my sister had to share a present: the present was Agravation (sorry about the spelling).  What made it so graet was not the game itself, it was that for the next several years we (the whole family) would gather around the kitchen table and play it togther.  Thanks for bringing back an old tired memory.

To everyone, even the humbugs, I wish you all a joyus yule, merry christmas and happy new year.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I used to dislike Christmas until THEY (the amorphous, politically correct hive mind) started trying to abolish it.  I guess it's true that you don't know how important something is until you lose it -- or someone threatens to take it from you. 

Now, it's MERRY CHRISTMAS for all of you! 

Even you trolls that give me such awful heartburn all through the year.  MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too!

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

Merry CHRISTmas! Praise be to the Lord Jesus Christ for being born and living a life to die for our sins!

Isaiah 41:10
  • 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    No I dont live with my mother and I dont ask my family for anything for Christmas because I prefer to get it myself and because I dont get them anything. I work 40+ hours a week and pay all my bills. I may be a bit cynical but I prefer to call it like I see it which is what I did. And I dont wear Aeropostale my jeans are ripped from actual work not as a fashion trend.
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I hate this holiday. It's probably the worst time of year, for all of the reasons the author mentioned: the traffic, the economic stress, the repetitive music, the fruitcake. There's a reason the projected percentage of suicides sky rocket during Christmas. Worst yet, however, is that we trick ourselves, as a society, to believe that we're truly happy, simply due to the time of year. In response, we have an assortment of holiday fakers like myself, who smile and wave, pretending that this holiday actually makes us happy, when the reality is that every moment is absolute torture, and to help those of you who aren't in my position understand it, just try to consider that when you're miserable, the last thing you want to see or be involved with are happy people.

You know what? I don't need to see the part of my family who only comes around once a year. They don't know me, they don't really care about the people they come to visit, but we do this because we feel we're socially required to pretend we love one another. Me? I prefer honesty. Why should anyone who feels this way be forced to suffer through something we all realize we'd rather not be taking part of, and would rather be spending our time elsewhere? Don't get me wrong, I love my intermediate family, but I don't consider this to be stuck strictly within the blood line of my relatives, or find a necessity that we follow a traditional pattern for a traditional Christmas. Rather, my definition of family includes those people who I may not be physically related, but who I can stand spending time with, doing things we all enjoy and making the Holiday mean something very specific, and different for us: a day to go wild, and lose our inhibitions. In that regard, that we celebrate in a manner which brings us closer together with the people we call family, I would agree with the author of the original post.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I don't celebrate Christmas, but I'll be sloshing with the best of you come New Years. Happy holidays everyone, drive responsibly!

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Merry Christmas everyone, we may not always agree (ever?), but have to say.. we do all care about the games that make up the genre with which we all have a personal interest... so, have fun, take care, and may your gods go with you :D

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

There's nothing special about christmas other than the birth of Christ.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Wow a couple real scrooges in this thread lol

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!!!

No signature, I don't have a pen

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Zadawn

There's nothing special about christmas other than the birth of Christ.

just goes to show how unlucky he was.. being born on christmas day means he gets fewer presents every year!! still at least his parents save on prezzies, every cloud has a silver lining eh image