Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dreams of an Elder Scrolls MMO...

Just as in any MMO, you launch the patching client, log in, and you enter the character screen. You've been playing your Redguard alot lately, so you decide to play your High Elf mage for a bit.

Logging in, you find yourself in the center of Cyrrodil. You begin strolling along through the streets, with NPC's rudely bumping into you and stallkeepers shouting their wares.

Suddenly, a group of guards round the corner. Upon noticing you, they begin to quickly chatter to eachother, and then shout "Halt! In the Emperor's name HALT!"

Now, suddenly, you remember that noob thief you killed last night. The wuss must have reported you to the guards.

You quickly turn into an alley to your right, and begin to sprint. Behind you the guards draw their weapons and begin shoving through the crowd.

As you dodge through various alleyways and sidestreets, somebody suddenly appears out of the shadows. It's you friend Garem Yosvar. You don't know him very well, but he's helped you out with a few quests here and there, and he's in your guild.

"Hey man, you need some help?"

You reply, of course,  "YEAH!"

Giving a strange mix of a sigh and a chuckle, Garem vanishes.

The guards, now, enter the alley. Slowing down from their chase, they begin to slowly approach their prey, suspecting no dificulty in doing justice.

Garem, however, suddenly reappears behind a guard. Swinging his elvish blades, he quickly decapitates one, and then another guard, leaving only the Captain.

As the Captain turns to face this new threat, you ready your fireball spell and, before he can lift his weapon to swing at Garem, you fire, and within moments the Captain is nothing more than a smoldering corpse.

You approach Garem and say "Thanks man. That idiot thief who's been running around must of reported me or something."

"No trouble." Garem replies. "By the way, did you hear? The Guild Bank got robbed earlier."

"Seriously?" You ask incredulously. "I thought we had our best warrior watching it!"

"Yeah, but he got on TeamSpeak and said his account got hacked or something. So somebody broke in and stole everything. The Guild Master's put out a 25000 gold reward on him, but he wants us to try and catch him ourselves if possible- wouldn't want to pay out if we don't gotta."

"Yeah." You reply.

You and Garem set off, for yet another adventure in the world of Tamriel...

Would be awesome, wouldn't it -_-?

The answer is 42 you idiot!

Comments

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

except that would never happen in an mmo. what if someone starts griefing all the npcs? or higher levels just camp guard spawns and crap on them so they effectively cease to exist? or any of 1million reasons that someone hasn't already ponied up for an ES mmo. The #1 reason being that it wouldn't and couldn't play remotely similar to the single player game.

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

Originally posted by Cuathon

except that would never happen in an mmo. what if someone starts griefing all the npcs? or higher levels just camp guard spawns and crap on them so they effectively cease to exist? or any of 1million reasons that someone hasn't already ponied up for an ES mmo. The #1 reason being that it wouldn't and couldn't play remotely similar to the single player game.

Agreed. We can always make an MMO directly based from the Elder Scrolls games, but the feel will just be different.

The closest thing that I can think of an Elder Scrolls game outside of the open-world RPG genre is the continuation of "The Elder Scrolls Adventures" games. I believe Redguard was an unappreciated game (I haven't played it, but read the story/plot of the game.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

The only way for a TES mmo to work is to remove PVP element altogether (griefing destroys immersion, and in mmo griefing is very plausible). But current mmo crowd demand otherwise.

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

The spirit and essence of what makes an Elder Scrolls game would instantly vanish as soon as it became an MMO.

The same thing would (will) happen to a Fallout MMO, which is why I'm not terribly excited about that project.

• HeftynewtHeftynewt Member UncommonPosts: 8

Well i believe on the SkyrimNexus website there is currently a mod and I have seen in it on the featured list. A mod that allows online capability. I have not downloaded it personally and I know its still in alpha stage but they have released a few videos on players being able to chat with each other in a game world. Maybe something to check out. Again I have not personally used it or downloaded it, so I can't comment on it fully.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Originally posted by kolsovo

Would be awesome, wouldn't it -_-?

I don't know if you wrote that yourself, but it sucked me in :) I enjoyed reading it and could picture it like I was playing. Cheers!

• TJixleeTJixlee Member Posts: 159

this unfortunately will get blasted EXACTLY like SWTOR. sad but true..... ppl will complain its a single player game with mmo elements. i hope they dont so we dont have to hear everyone complain....

but it would be awesome ;)

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Originally posted by kolsovo

Just as in any MMO, you launch the patching client, log in, and you enter the character screen. You've been playing your Redguard alot lately, so you decide to play your High Elf mage for a bit.

Logging in, you find yourself in the center of Cyrrodil. You begin strolling along through the streets, with NPC's rudely bumping into you and stallkeepers shouting their wares.

Suddenly, a group of guards round the corner. Upon noticing you, they begin to quickly chatter to eachother, and then shout "Halt! In the Emperor's name HALT!"

Now, suddenly, you remember that noob thief you killed last night. The wuss must have reported you to the guards.

You quickly turn into an alley to your right, and begin to sprint. Behind you the guards draw their weapons and begin shoving through the crowd.

As you dodge through various alleyways and sidestreets, somebody suddenly appears out of the shadows. It's you friend Garem Yosvar. You don't know him very well, but he's helped you out with a few quests here and there, and he's in your guild.

"Hey man, you need some help?"

You reply, of course,  "YEAH!"

Giving a strange mix of a sigh and a chuckle, Garem vanishes.

The guards, now, enter the alley. Slowing down from their chase, they begin to slowly approach their prey, suspecting no dificulty in doing justice.

Garem, however, suddenly reappears behind a guard. Swinging his elvish blades, he quickly decapitates one, and then another guard, leaving only the Captain.

As the Captain turns to face this new threat, you ready your fireball spell and, before he can lift his weapon to swing at Garem, you fire, and within moments the Captain is nothing more than a smoldering corpse.

You approach Garem and say "Thanks man. That idiot thief who's been running around must of reported me or something."

"No trouble." Garem replies. "By the way, did you hear? The Guild Bank got robbed earlier."

"Seriously?" You ask incredulously. "I thought we had our best warrior watching it!"

"Yeah, but he got on TeamSpeak and said his account got hacked or something. So somebody broke in and stole everything. The Guild Master's put out a 25000 gold reward on him, but he wants us to try and catch him ourselves if possible- wouldn't want to pay out if we don't gotta."

"Yeah." You reply.

And are quickly hacked to pieces and corpse looted by the noob thief and eight of his teamspeak  buddies....

Aaah!!!   Another fine day in Skyfall.. or was it Darkrim?? 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Somehow, your fireball didn't manage to torch your friend, nor did it set fire to the slums and take out half of the quarter.   And the guards aren't upset with losing a captain, so they are not locking down the area, stopping all commerce while they search for the culprits.  They aren't even going to the local theivish godfathers and getting them to turn in the guilty parties to maintain the peace, gain favor, and get the reward for your capture themselves. 

Strange things these Elder Scrolls.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

Ah, the Fantasy is always far more entertaining than the Reality.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Co-op play for up to 4 people would be perfection. An MMO would ruin it.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Originally posted by TJixlee

this unfortunately will get blasted EXACTLY like SWTOR. sad but true..... ppl will complain its a single player game with mmo elements. i hope they dont so we dont have to hear everyone complain....

Please keep the SW:TOR fanboi cancer to its own board.

OP, I agree it would be cool and as another poster said for a TES MMO to play simllar to the games we have now they would have to take out PvP.

Would people play a pure PvE game that was done well?

Originally posted by Paradigm68

Co-op play for up to 4 people would be perfection. An MMO would ruin it.

Agree completely.     A better way to state it would be "large numbers of real people" would ruin it.

Because I think what the OP is fantasizing about is simply open world, sandbox PvP, which we all know is a highly successful MMO model and bound to be a resounding success!

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Originally posted by karmath

OP, I agree it would be cool and as another poster said for a TES MMO to play simllar to the games we have now they would have to take out PvP.

Why?

You can kill guards in TES, random civillians, ect.  You steal, you murder, you do what the hell you want.  With the bounty system, TES could work as a FFA PVP environment.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• syndreamersyndreamer Member UncommonPosts: 43

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3592

Skyrim Online (alpha stage) is a viable solution for your Skyrim MMO needs. Whenever the CS comes out, the progression will be quicker as more content gets developed and the coding is fleshed out some more. Till then keep an eye out and never doubt the capability of the Skyrim PC Modding community.

Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

Why?

You can kill guards in TES, random civillians, ect.  You steal, you murder, you do what the hell you want.  With the bounty system, TES could work as a FFA PVP environment.

Sorry, but nothing works as a FFA PvP environment. 

Generally if you kill something in Skyrim it stays dead.  This is what gives you the immersion of being in a real world.   Killing is done for a reason and has consequences.

Thousands of  human village idiots running around ,their only objective being to grief other players, would make it something other than a TES game.    Fun?  Sure maybe for a few, but not the majority of gamers.   And thats why it won't work.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I think what they did with Never winter night would be possible in the Tes games, they already have a tool set. Letting the players deal with those worlds and rule set stuff is imo the best way to do it. Its like in NWN you had some worlds for hard core rper and perma death, and you had some "cheater" server with uber gear at each corner and buffed mobs. But that will probably mean that the few next TES will be pretty bland and downgraded, since they have to tweak the whole game to introduce something like that.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Originally posted by Boneserino

Why?

Generally if you kill something in Skyrim it stays dead.  This is what gives you the immersion of being in a real world.   Killing is done for a reason and has consequences.

Thousands of  human village idiots running around ,their only objective being to grief other players, would make it something other than a TES game.    Fun?  Sure maybe for a few, but not the majority of gamers.   And thats why it won't work.

The issue is not PVP then, it is the issue of permenate death of NPCs.  Like I said, the bounty system cures this.  You kill someone in a city in pubic, you are KOS by guards in that city forever.  There can be consequences for killing in an FFA environment.

And in TES you can kill and steal for no reason other than your own amusement.  In Skyrim, I killed Eric The Slayer because I thought it would be a funny and fitting death.

And thousands of Human idiots running around killing for their own fun sounds like the followers of a number of Deadric Princes.

And the more I think about this, this could REALLY work.  One of each Dearic artifact per server given out to one player who wins a prince's favor anually.  This game could rock actually.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Heftynewt

Well i believe on the SkyrimNexus website there is currently a mod and I have seen in it on the featured list. A mod that allows online capability. I have not downloaded it personally and I know its still in alpha stage but they have released a few videos on players being able to chat with each other in a game world. Maybe something to check out. Again I have not personally used it or downloaded it, so I can't comment on it fully.

This mod?

Yeah, could be promising. I'd love to see an Elder Scrolls MMO myself, and judging by all the interest in Skyrim here I am going to wager that so would many of you. ;)

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

I just want coop with a few of my buddies. Like how NWN does it.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by Heftynewt

This mod?

Yeah, could be promising. I'd love to see an Elder Scrolls MMO myself, and judging by all the interest in Skyrim here I am going to wager that so would many of you. ;)

Lord yes, and I already know that Bethesda has an online division that they are putting together, here is a question, why not an article asking these guys about seeing an mmorpg? I think this game would really work as a niche PVE sandbox perfectly, and the game has enough of a following that they could charge a little extra for more fleshed out features and lower world populations (this game would not work with thousands of folk on servers all the time)

I would like to know why are they at least not making the engine like the NWN engines that can be used for persistent worlds?

Can mmorpg interview them and ask them these questions please?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Why?

The issue is not PVP then, it is the issue of permenate death of NPCs.  Like I said, the bounty system cures this.  You kill someone in a city in pubic, you are KOS by guards in that city forever.  There can be consequences for killing in an FFA environment.

And in TES you can kill and steal for no reason other than your own amusement.  In Skyrim, I killed Eric The Slayer because I thought it would be a funny and fitting death.

And thousands of Human idiots running around killing for their own fun sounds like the followers of a number of Deadric Princes.

And the more I think about this, this could REALLY work.  One of each Dearic artifact per server given out to one player who wins a prince's favor anually.  This game could rock actually.

Oh, so how would you stop jackasses using the furniture to impede progress ala UO, how would you stop them from razing entire towns just because, and think about it its not like there will be one group at a time doing this.

Why does it always have to come down to FFA pvp? What is so fun about killing people and taking their stuff? And one thing I've learned is that most FFA pvpers cry if they have to deal with consequences for their actions thus turning into carebears.

Most of them are hypocrites if you ask me, and I don't want those hypocrites in my game (play a goddamn FPS already!!)

*rant over

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• elos_rekatelos_rekat Member Posts: 106

Since a lot of us do what we can to avoid PvP even in a game like DAoC, I can tell you that yes if it's done well a pure PVE game would be played.  As proof look at the co-op server Gaheris on DAoC, it always had a good population.

• kolsovokolsovo Member Posts: 74

Just throwing this out as an theoretical idea, but in an ES MMO, if you murdered and robbed too much you would, much like in the real games, get massive amounts of bounties placed on your head, to the point that you would not be able, in time, to even get near a ROAD without fearing slaughter by guards. And, maybe to make things even more nasty, players could chip in coin to the bounty pot, to the point that a person could become an "enemy of the server".

I'd hope that this would prevent griefing to some extent.

Also, I think that the only thing an ES MMO team, or any sandbox really, needs to do is just IGNORE the PvPers. That seems to be the real problem here. Now, I'm all for FFA PvP- it's like that in real life. But there must be, like in real life, MASSIVE consequences for your actions. While some people will enjoy the life of an outlaw, plenty will stick, at least to some degree, to the right side of the law.

As to killing NPC's, I don't think that'd be much of a problem with a murder-prevention system. Along with this, I think that most shopkeepers would be front-men for players who want to sell stuff but not spend hours waiting for customers. The same for guards- guilds would probably hire them to act as muscle to guard their towns or keeps, and maybe use them as additions to their bandit crews.

And to buildings, I'd imagine that, if a building/town got set on fire, the townspeople would rally to put out the fires, be they NPC or player. And, again, with the bounty system the pyro would find him/herself a compelte outcast from society, hated by all.

Oh and as a final note- let's say, just for the sake of argument, one set the town on fire by accident. There would be, I think, a jail system as well (much like in the game) where one has to spend a few in-game hours (depending on the crime). This way non malevolent people could avoid being forced into exile. The other option would be paying the bounty, of course. But either way an outlaw would find little incentive to, well, do illegal activities, as it would heavily hit on his wallet and play-time.

But, again, the only thing that is REALLY preventing an ES-style game is the FFA PvPers who don't want a bounty system or whatever. But if that is included, I see no problems.

The answer is 42 you idiot!

Why?

So my question I guess is... why did this not work in Darkfall?

Couldn't you more or less do these same things in that game?   And don't give me reasons like it was laggy, or buggy, or had poor graphics.   Those are technical issues. 

How would FFA PvP be different in Skyrim?   Because if you know the answer, then you have solved the great mystery that has eluded hardcore gamers for a decade!!  Please enlighten us!