Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The #1 Reason to Play SWTOR

Comments

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Originally posted by bloodbone

If you feel so strongly about it why don't you make a top 10 reasons NOT to play SWTOR.  You obviously don't like the game so you would be better qualified.  Just don't expect one from somebody who liked the game.  

I've been playing MMORPGs for the better part of 7 years & I've always had one complaint about them all.  No Immersion/connection to the story.  I couldn't keep playing them for very long cause I just can't get into the grinding/raiding/PVP as being the ultimate reward for playing well.  SWTOR changed that IMO,  there is immersion & I do want to find out what happens next in the story, something that up till now was there purview of single player games.

You may be right, it may not do anything different, but in this case it's all about presentation.  If it is no different then at least it does the same ole thing in a different & compelling way

Problem is that "Story" Element You speak of Ends, then what are you going to do, reroll?  Why bother playing an MMO if thats your stance, Skyrim and dozens of other games offer the same experence without the monthly fee's.  IMO the goal of an MMO should be for the players themselves to create the story and in that way you never run out of content.  Of course that would require allowing players to have a real impact on the gameworld which no AAA MMO's have done to this point, so im not just picking on SWTOR here.      

Pushing the story in an MMO is the totally wrong direction to go in imo, especially the way bioware handled it (hamfisting ME'S dialogue wheel into an MMO). don't get me wrong, I love a good story, especially if a game does it well (chris avellone) but the last thing i'm looking for in the MMO genre is a story.

I mean it's a nice bonus, but I'd much rather see newer MMO's push the social interaction aspects of the gameplay, and how you're able to change and affect the world environment

• bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152

Originally posted by bloodbone

If you feel so strongly about it why don't you make a top 10 reasons NOT to play SWTOR.  You obviously don't like the game so you would be better qualified.  Just don't expect one from somebody who liked the game.  

I've been playing MMORPGs for the better part of 7 years & I've always had one complaint about them all.  No Immersion/connection to the story.  I couldn't keep playing them for very long cause I just can't get into the grinding/raiding/PVP as being the ultimate reward for playing well.  SWTOR changed that IMO,  there is immersion & I do want to find out what happens next in the story, something that up till now was there purview of single player games.

You may be right, it may not do anything different, but in this case it's all about presentation.  If it is no different then at least it does the same ole thing in a different & compelling way

Problem is that "Story" Element You speak of Ends, then what are you going to do, reroll?  Why bother playing an MMO if thats your stance, Skyrim and dozens of other games offer the same experence without the monthly fee's. 

Because those games end too quickly.  There isnt a singleplayer game made these days that I can't finish in a week or less (mostly less).  besides, Skyrim sucks. </flameshield>  for the price of the box plus $15, I can play till I'm tired of it instead of till I run out of content.  Once I've finished the Sith Warrior story, I can start on Agent, then Bounty Hunter, etc.  I'm paying an extra $15 so that I can play in a persistent world with my friends for as long as I want.  

IMO the goal of an MMO should be for the players themselves to create the story and in that way you never run out of content.  Of course that would require allowing players to have a real impact on the gameworld which no AAA MMO's have done to this point, so im not just picking on SWTOR here.      

As you said, nobody does that & probably never will, not just the AAA's,  

How would they?  All content is static no matter how interactive it may appear to be.  

• PokketPokket Member Posts: 80
    Actually, Puremallace, the reason I spacebar through SOME of the quests is for mulitple reasons.

1. Ive already done them.
    2. They aren't main storyline quests and I'm trying to catch up to my guildmates' levels so we can do the same content together.
    3. Spoilers for main storyline quests.
    4. I want to reach end game on my main so I can start raiding soon.
    5. My guild's adversaries are 50 already lol :s

There have been TONS of times I haven't skipped. Tune in for longer than 5 minutes and you'd know ~.^ I pay attetion to the class specific quests.

And no I am not paid nor do I or have I ever worked for Bioware, EA, or Lucas Arts. As hard as this may be for some of you to believe, I legitimately enjoy the game :D

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone.

Youtube: PokketProductions | Twitter: @Pokketsays | Facebook: Pokketsays
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

A gypsy once told me never to trust anyone with blue hair.

That said, I think the #1 reason to play this game is because its New.

wow!  this text editor is alien,  I had to reformat my entire entry & it still added that weird empty box at the bottom....no wonder Pokket does video reviews, lol

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

Merry Christmas!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I was in the same boat but now I am sold on MMO story with voice over. I don't know if I could go back to the old kill collect quest without the voice over story.
  • JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

Another great video Pokket. And...Merry Christmas!

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

Standard Loot=White/Grey

Better then Standard is Green....

Next is Blue...

Guessing Purple is better then Blue?

90% of game = you watching cutscenes(story lines) and running. ...alot of running..

I want to play..not watch/listen to the game.

• carebear77carebear77 Member Posts: 86

LOLZ  @ the hate :) Im an mmo veteran and i know this will take off like a rocket after playing the betas. The story driven thing worx and already there are millions of noobs queue-ing in desperation to get their fill of it. I rather enjoyed for once playing an actual story instead of hunting 10 pigs for westfall stew. it refreshing fun and fresh. I have had my fill of grinding and repetative go there kill that bring that quests. really really this is better. If you dont like it stuff off lolz. The warfronts work, the instances do too and im sure the raids will be fun aswell. Now leave me alone and let me plan about how to make time for the thingz that count  :  Tor, rift, skyrim, lol, other...... 

• wolfendragowolfendrago Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by moosecatlol

Wait... tough calls? I thought you could always press escape and pick your answer again, sounds like an immersion breaker to me. Personally the animations are the immersion breaker in my opinion, but that's why I would never play an mmo solely for the questing. No mmo has dedicated a motion capture team to their npc quest givers. Rather they seem to be focusing more on facial animation, while leaving the rest of the body looking like a robot.

I also disagree with someone saying that this game is Star Wars, I personally don't see the "Wars" part of the game. I'm slightly baffled as to why any developer who is creating a game about war would opt for such a passive and non kinetic combat system.  Also when you're participating in the Alderaan warzone, why must they go the round about way to elminate the enemy cruiser? And why do the cruisers insist on taking the punishment from said turrets? Why not temporarily disable the turrets and broadside the enemy flagship?

I don't know, the fact that I have 150 questions about the integrity of the game's IP when you use it in such fashion that reduce Lightsabers to nothing more than big rave sticks, in which you use to beat each other  into submission with... well it' s a little disheartening.

After watching this videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDMxQcg5bTA (Alderaan WZ PVP), I can safely say that this does not feel like war in the least.

Something else that Pokket touched point on, is that when you choose your "alignment" through out the numerous quest "multiple choice questions" that they offer you through out the game, you're working towards certain rewards from vendors that unlock the more progressed you are in your alignment. Now to me that seems like they're forcing you to choose either Light or Dark, and that you will be inferior for being indifferent. Which will directly effect a players decision through out his or her personal quest experience. Doesn't that completely diminish the purpose of the whole unique quest experience, when every other Joe and Curly are going to be selecting the choices that reward the most alignment points of their desire? That is hardly what I would call immersive. So if the game doesn't offer immersion (at least for me it never will), then what does it offer?(Yes I understand there is a Neutral path, but there hasn't been any neutral requirement gear vendor implemented yet, or so I've gathered from the forums, considering the stats on the aligment gear, your easily set at a disadvantage if you're unable to use them.)

Who am I kidding, there's probably 500 users on MMORPG that love a good gear treadmill. But if you break the game down to its core, is that all it is? A book to read as you run on your treadmill?

Maybe one day I'll understand what all the hype is about, but for now I'm going to turn up the "Feed Me" as loud as I can, and  go make breakfast.

lol I bet that you also don't see the war part of the movies too untill the sudden bam there your in the middle of it I'm sorry to tell you but the movies also have the non war elements why should the game  focus on it solely but then your probly someone who want nothing but a PVP life in a starwarish enviroment. as for chooseing to stick with an alignment hell any game you point out also does the same thing when there is a choice will force you to pick a side and stick with it if you want the goodies the only benefit for being indesicive and indifferent is you might get some neutral quest. and that is true with any game. I personally liked the way biowar did lots of things in the game to make you feel like you were acomplishing something instead of spending hundreds of hours grully grinding to get that next lvl so you can hit max lvl and say hey I'm here now what do I do and end up farming so you can buy that tier 12 armor and weapon set and show how much you  suck for haveing no life. by the way pokket I liked your review and many of your reasons you will play  I have too shared even though my time playing swtor was only a couple days dureing the stress test phase before the release. and then I was extreamly skeptical about it until I got in the game.now my only thing I'll have to worrie about is getting my subscribtion fees together in time lol.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Listing what is predominantly single player quests as the main reason to play an MMORPG shows a clear lack of understanding of the genre.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by forest-nl

Originally posted by tkoreaper

SWTOR is nothing without the SW IP... Also, you should at least sound more enthusiastic about the game. You can clearly tell that you're reading form a script... pretty horrible to be honest. It's almost as if someone's telling you what to say.

Indeed horrible and i think she is just payed to say this thats also obvious.

Awefull video review:(

agree

Originally posted by Yamota

Listing what is predominantly single player quests as the main reason to play an MMORPG shows a clear lack of understanding of the genre.

I think that they understand the genre perfectly,  that's why they went a different direction.  In case you didn't notice, the genre is in danger of failing.   You are pervectly entitled to your opinion, but I for one am grateful that that something has finally come out that can succeed, even you don't like it.  It makes it a vaiable investment for others to make new MMOs instead of the genre dying with WoW,  which was what was happening, IMO.  

Is it perfect?  No, there are things I would have done differently (if I were a brilliant game designer instead of some shlub who plays them all day, lol) like the space combat (why?? Bioware, WHY???) .  I also hear that there is something wrong with the PVP but since I'm a PVE player I'm not aware or qualified.   

I know that some people are determined not to like this game,  were hating on it even before is went into beta.  I blame the agressive marketing (hype from hell).  I admit, I was put off by this too,  nobody likes having a product crammed down their throat no matter how good it is.  for a while there it completely took over the forums too,  People just got tired of hearing about it.  I have a friend that would be a perfect match for SWTOR but refuses to play simply because he doesn't like EA (plus he's a bitter SWG Vet).  there are all sorts of reasons for the hate that have absolutely nothing to do with the game itself.

My message to that guy that is combing these posts trying to decide whether or not to buy the game,  well you know what I think, so I'll just say this: don't listen to the hate & don't listen to the hype,  watch Pokket's channel & decide for yourself if that is something that you want to play

Originally posted by kb056

Standard Loot=White/Grey

Better then Standard is Green....

Next is Blue...

Guessing Purple is better then Blue?

you forgot gold which is usually best or unique.  but yeah, purple is better than blue

90% of game = you watching cutscenes(story lines) and running. ...alot of running..

I want to play..not watch/listen to the game.

Originally posted by Timacek

SWTOR is nothing without the SW IP... Also, you should at least sound more enthusiastic about the game. You can clearly tell that you're reading form a script... pretty horrible to be honest. It's almost as if someone's telling you what to say.

agree

Hey!  hate on the game all you like, but leave Pokket alone :)

agree

+1

Originally posted by bakagami

agree

Why? She shows little insight into the genre, Teala seems much more educated.

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

pocket, I like the way you think,hope to see you in game sometime. Enjoyed all your reasons btw :)

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

Sounds like someone is butthurt for whatever reason. Must not have anything "worthwhile" to play eh?

And.... I agree with pockett.

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

Just a quick post.

She likes the game.

I like the game.

I think a couple million other people like the game.

I am having fun too Pokkett.

To some of you - bye bye!

To fellow SWTOR players - Merry Christmas!

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

ill agree the game's quest system is nice, but thats about it. i personally have played many many mmos, and to be honest, starwars old republic is the same old copy/paste from any other mmo. if you ever played ffxi, they offered the same thing. great story line, and i would say is probably 1 of the best mmo i played so far back in the day. reason why i left? because im a pvper, in the end the game didnt hold up to my pvp expectations. hut ball as you call it in starwars is nothing but a capture the flag game, and that free pvp zone you guys get is nothing special. i forgot the other 1 thats called but its same repeat in any other mmo. also the number 1 reason why i dislike playing starwars is because, there are no number 1 to simply put it. the game is another copy version of any other mmo, and the only unique thing starwars did was add a nice quest system. i for 1 is a pvper, your a quester so you wouldn't mind doing those quest. so you probably wont see it on my point of view. also another part where i dislike the game is when i saw a posting about this person already hitting lvl 50 in the first week of star wars under mmosite. if this faq is true that makes it even more of a reason for me not to play it. i want a challenge in an mmo not an easy breez through the game. you all are probably wondering oh what game can offer that, or have fun lookin lol, well i have found the game thats perfect for me, and that is eve online. eve online although its borring at first month because all you do is skill train and try to get the system of the game, i think has the best mmo mechanics in it. eve online doesnt limit you to choosing your job. you can be a smuggler a pirate, an outlaw, a buisness man, a miner and many more. shit you could even play a gay toon there lol. oh but you guys will probably argue that, that is a sandbox mmo. to be honest it doesnt matter if its sandbox or not, its what the game has to offer. eve online offers real game system into it, there for making it more challenging then any other mmo out there, compared to any other mmo. ya eve is borring, but thats only at the first month like i said. i think if i was to say whats 1 thing that eve online is missing right now? id probably say is a better mission system. if eve had a mission system like starwars or ffxi the game would be perfect. anyways that game isnt for everyone after all they are ranked as the most hardcore pvp mmo overall, and the game is only playable through people who is actually willing to take that challenge. anyways my point wasnt toa rgue about eve vrs star wars or anything. my point of the argument to you pocket, is starwars is just to repeatative in the end. same old same old, other then that your review was awsome lol.

Originally posted by aligada87

ill agree the game's quest system is nice, but thats about it. i personally have played many many mmos, and to be honest, starwars old republic is the same old copy/paste from any other mmo. if you ever played ffxi, they offered the same thing. great story line, and i would say is probably 1 of the best mmo i played so far back in the day. reason why i left? because im a pvper, in the end the game didnt hold up to my pvp expectations. hut ball as you call it in starwars is nothing but a capture the flag game, and that free pvp zone you guys get is nothing special. i forgot the other 1 thats called but its same repeat in any other mmo. also the number 1 reason why i dislike playing starwars is because, there are no number 1 to simply put it. the game is another copy version of any other mmo, and the only unique thing starwars did was add a nice quest system. i for 1 is a pvper, your a quester so you wouldn't mind doing those quest. so you probably wont see it on my point of view. also another part where i dislike the game is when i saw a posting about this person already hitting lvl 50 in the first week of star wars under mmosite. if this faq is true that makes it even more of a reason for me not to play it. i want a challenge in an mmo not an easy breez through the game. you all are probably wondering oh what game can offer that, or have fun lookin lol, well i have found the game thats perfect for me, and that is eve online. eve online although its borring at first month because all you do is skill train and try to get the system of the game, i think has the best mmo mechanics in it. eve online doesnt limit you to choosing your job. you can be a smuggler a pirate, an outlaw, a buisness man, a miner and many more. shit you could even play a gay toon there lol. oh but you guys will probably argue that, that is a sandbox mmo. to be honest it doesnt matter if its sandbox or not, its what the game has to offer. eve online offers real game system into it, there for making it more challenging then any other mmo out there, compared to any other mmo. ya eve is borring, but thats only at the first month like i said. i think if i was to say whats 1 thing that eve online is missing right now? id probably say is a better mission system. if eve had a mission system like starwars or ffxi the game would be perfect. anyways that game isnt for everyone after all they are ranked as the most hardcore pvp mmo overall, and the game is only playable through people who is actually willing to take that challenge. anyways my point wasnt toa rgue about eve vrs star wars or anything. my point of the argument to you pocket, is starwars is just to repeatative in the end. same old same old, other then that your review was awsome lol.

so, you think that waiting 15 hrs while you travel between planets in Eve is fun?   how about going off to do other things while you travel for 15 hr (real time, btw)  only to come back to find your ship has been destroyed (permanently), you're in a coccoon, and the companion AI is making fun of you. you're right, that does sound like fun (not)

Originally posted by bakagami

agree

Why? She shows little insight into the genre, Teala seems much more educated.

why?  because Teala agrees with you?  in what way would you show more insight or are you just talking smack?

agree

+1

-1 (since this seems to be the place to post "Me Too's")