Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think MMORPG's will ever have a real place on consoles and handhelds?

2012 is looking to be an interesting year for the genre with all the new titles coming out in the following months yet its interesting to see how the genre is changing, or how there are plans for it to change, although they are only baby steps at the moment.

It seems game developers are looking to provide alternatives to MMO fans who do not wish to play on an expensive gaming rig.

DCUO is perhaps the most memorable one as it was only released at the start of the year and that was considered to be innovative due to its release on PS3 as well as the PC, with controls and UI that was aimed more at the convenience of console users. Although it was considered innovative its not even the first MMO to really come out on console as FFXI released on both PS2 and Xbox 360 and then theres Everquest on the PS2.

It has also been considered by other companies like Funcom who originally intended to have a console version released after the PC version, which obviously never happened. Games in development like Final Fantasy XIV are definately getting a PS3 version with Square Enix saying the PS3 version will release "at all costs" and SOE have hinted that Everquest Next may see a PS3 launch as well.

Moving away from home console, some companies are moving, or thinking of moving games to the mobile platform. Square Enix have said they have thought about Final Fantasy XI on the Vita at some point and Blizzard, although unrealistically had talked about the ipad, if the controls had been possible. MMO's are available on the ipad however, with Conquer 2.0 releasing in the app store after its successful Mac client launch several months ago. An exclusive MMO to the mobile platform for anybody curious is a game called 'Order and Chaos' which is a very blatent WoW clone with much less features, but what is important is its available to play on the iphone, ipad, ipod touch and Android devices and up until recently, facebook.

So it seems companies are starting to begin moving MMO's on to other platforms to introduce their games to a wider audience. Multi platform MMO's with potentially, shared servers may be the future of the genre. Depending on the success of current console MMO projects it may well encourage more developers to move their titles to more mainstream platforms. Who knows, you may see MMO titles that we know today eventually on Xbox live or the PSN, or even mobile devices. The main hurdle is managing controls, a console controller obviously does no provide the freedom and depth of a mouse and keyboard.

What do you all think? Do you believe the genre would benefit from moving to cross platform, or do you believe that it will simply dilute the genre to cater to casual, mainstream gamers?

Comments

• _Jord__Jord_ Member Posts: 228

Personally, I would love to see hand-helds get mini-games that extend out of AAA MMORPGs. For example, WoW has announced that in the next expac, there will be a Pokemon-style minigame (not my thing, but works well for my point. Having that mini-game playable via iPhone and Android would be awesome! 

Having an actual client for iOS/Android would be even cooler - but highly unlikely due to the huge costs that would be involved, and the limited appeal of such a product.

I don't see why anyone would want to spend thousands of hours (as hard-core players do with MMOs) on a tiny hand-held screen. Order and Chaos online suffers this fatal flaw - why would anyone (other than perhaps children who don't have their own computer) play an MMO on a tiny 3.5" iPhone screen when you could be playing a full-size MMO on a full-size screen? Especially when you consider that Order and Chaos does NOT work over 3G...

The way I see it, people who play a lot of games on their phone are either on the road or don't have a console/PC (I.e. kids). Why would anyone with a solid gaming rig opt to play instead on a 3.5" screen?

------
    Played - UO, FFXI, WAR, WoW, EVE
    Currently - Bored.

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

I hope it expands more to those platforms if all platforms can play together. I don't like how PS3 and PC users can't play DCUO together. FFXI did it, so why can't DCUO?

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Absolutely possible, though a lot more thought has to go into it, in order to optimize the games controls for a console controller.

Personally I hate consoles, total waste of time. (With the exception of Arcade consoles)

• MattNeMattNe Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by Jarazar

I hope it expands more to those platforms if all platforms can play together. I don't like how PS3 and PC users can't play DCUO together. FFXI did it, so why can't DCUO?

It's all about the controls.

Keyboard > controler

That's why often FPS crfossover games (IE: Unreal III) had labled servers for console/PC, the reason: mouse and keyboard are so much more efficient they have an unfair advantage.

I know thats a FPS example, if you want a MMO example find someone who plays FFXI and watch them try to play on a PS with a controler.

• VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

Yes, if they make an MMO built from ground to be a console game.

Originally posted by MattNe

Keyboard > controler

That's why often FPS crfossover games (IE: Unreal III) had labled servers for console/PC, the reason: mouse and keyboard are so much more efficient they have an unfair advantage.

I know thats a FPS example, if you want a MMO example find someone who plays FFXI and watch them try to play on a PS with a controler.

It's much more comfortable to play with a controler than on a keyboard when you get used to it, though.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by Verterdegete

Keyboard > controler

It's much more comfortable to play with a controler than on a keyboard when you get used to it, though.

It depends on the game. For an FPS, I couldn't disagree more. FPS on a controller feels weird and wrong to me. Pretty much everything else (except games that make big use of the mouse, like RTS games and MMOs)? Hells yeah. That's why I use my PS3 controller for PC games whenever I can.

On that note, didn't the developers of the Shadowrun multiplayer game have to nerf the PC players somehow since they were dominating the console players so badly?

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

The key component of MMO gaming is communication.  Consoles currently just cannot compete on this point.  Perhaps one day when there is some robust speech to text capabilities it might work, but today console success will be limited to FPS type games. 

To be honest though, I think the next wave of consoles may be the last.  We are moving to an expectation that our devices become multi-functional.   I think companies like Nintendo will more to more of a software provider roll and MS and Sony will be competing (against others) for household entertainment/productivity centers.  All encompassing devices which will replace/encorporate your PC, TV, Console etc...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Kaerigan

It depends on the game. For an FPS, I couldn't disagree more. FPS on a controller feels weird and wrong to me. Pretty much everything else (except games that make big use of the mouse, like RTS games and MMOs)? Hells yeah. That's why I use my PS3 controller for PC games whenever I can.

On that note, didn't the developers of the Shadowrun multiplayer game have to nerf the PC players somehow since they were dominating the console players so badly?

I play FPS's on Xbox, and tbh i would never return to keyboard. For me the "keyboard vs controller" issue is the same as "Manual vs. Automatic transmission" on cars. Either you want a full and precise control over your car, or you just want to get from place A to place B as comfortable as it can be.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

The key component of MMO gaming is communication.  Consoles currently just cannot compete on this point.  Perhaps one day when there is some robust speech to text capabilities it might work, but today console success will be limited to FPS type games. 

To be honest though, I think the next wave of consoles may be the last.  We are moving to an expectation that our devices become multi-functional.   I think companies like Nintendo will more to more of a software provider roll and MS and Sony will be competing (against others) for household entertainment/productivity centers.  All encompassing devices which will replace/encorporate your PC, TV, Console etc...

This isn't entirely true. PS3 controllers can have attachable mini keyboards available to them, also keyboards can be connected to the console via USB.

Its a little awkward, but the option is there. 

What you say about consoles is true though. Nintendo have really dropped the ball with the WiiU, the excuse for not being multi-media was something along the lines of "well you already have devices for that", but multi-media is everything these days.

Nintendo would be rolling in money if they focussed on software. Can you imagine Nintendo classics on mobile devices? Pokemon on apple products like iphone and ipad would be hits overnight. Super Mario and Zelda on PS3/360 would easily hit Platinum status.

However i think one thing that will stand the test of time is home entertainment, there just isn't any alternative. PC's will never be the replacement because they are and always will be a niche. However, all in one TV/Console is a possibility, or the console becoming so small and powerful that it looks more like a Digibox may be the result. There are rumours concerning the next generation of console, with Sony putting lots of money into its R&D, some people think Microsoft will be releasing its next generation in 2015 at the earliest, but these are rumours. 

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Yes, the basic idea of an MMO can work nice on consoles and even portables. But those games need to be designed from the ground up to work with the respective input options. They need to accomodate for lack of keyboard&mouse, not demand crappy attachments. 

To the above: communication doesn't have to be text. Voice comm can work nicely on consoles if the respective plattform developers aren't stubborn idiots. With good design you can even remove much of the need for text and voice comm by using visual communication within the game.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Naqaj

Yes, the basic idea of an MMO can work nice on consoles and even portables. But those games need to be designed from the ground up to work with the respective input options. They need to accomodate for lack of keyboard&mouse, not demand crappy attachments. 

To the above: communication doesn't have to be text. Voice comm can work nicely on consoles if the respective plattform developers aren't stubborn idiots. With good design you can even remove much of the need for text and voice comm by using visual communication within the game.

Very true! Its definately more convenient to console players who play games like MW online. However i think there are a lot of players who would choose to not have people hear their voice online, so its important to provide better text options too.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Nope.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

There is a lot of pride and sense of tradition that would slow down a such development. I don't think we are that near yet, unless a significant part of the traditionalists retire. 

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Originally posted by Jarazar

Keyboard > controler

While this is true if you actually use a controller. FFXI had/has what they call "laptop" controles. Where you could play the entire game with JUST the keyboard, and it was super intuitive. So what I did was plug a keyboard into my xbox360.

So when I wanted I could play in my room on my xbox and TV, or move out to the living room and play on my 360. OR play in my office on my desktop, and it was seamless.

Ask ANYONE who has used FFXI laptop controls for more then 30 seconds, it was THEE BEST CONTROLEever made for a game.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos