Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the game really THAT bad?

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Originally posted by Uronksur

Originally posted by Purutzil

Originally posted by Axxar

It's a really great MMO. Like any game it has some flaws, but in this case they are few and minor. Not something that detracts from all the really awesome stuff.

Just because I feel like 'trolling' I guess or being critical, mind defining what that 'awesome stuff' is? Outside the bigger story focus, I just didn't see anything that makes me turn my head and go "oh, original", curious as to what your defining as awesome.

An actual storyline.

Like all other games? Storylines exist, they just tend to be less focused and delivered. Sure, I'll give you that it does a better job at focusing story then most MMos, but its no where near what a Single player game delivers. What harms it as well is having it so 'story' driven has a notable side effect of making things far more linear and making the 'themepark' term stick out even further in the game then what must games do. 

Story is just one thing though, its not a lot of 'stuff' its just one part which, lets face it, once you reach the end you won't have that to tide you over.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by Fearmeirl

I knew it wouldnt be a great game since its based off Star Wars and such but is the gameplay and PvP really as bad as people make it out to be?

"Bad" is relative.

So relative to what?

Id say its bad, relative to it coming from a AAA publisher, a AAA studio, and around 100 million backing the game in dev cost.

But your milage may vary.

Bad is also subjective and opinion will differ from one person to another.  You will have to try for yourself if you really want to know.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I knew it wouldnt be a great game since its based off Star Wars and such but is the gameplay and PvP really as bad as people make it out to be?

No... it is a pretty standard Bioware RPG with a pretty solid multiplayer aspect... Beyond that it is a matter of taste.

This have been a good conversation

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Like all MMOs it's no without it's issues, but in my opinion it's pretty good and it's got a ton of potential for post-launch development.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I'm having fun.  So are a millionish other people who don't post on forums.  They've all told me so.  Eff the others.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Otakun

Originally posted by eddieg50

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by sanosukex

if you are interested in game for PVP and are the type thats tired of rift and wows pvp you probably won't enjoy this games pvp very long.. if yo liked KOTOR and bioware's other games like dragon age and mass effect you will enjoy the game

Agreed, skyrim, me, me 2, ddragon age, etc , if you like those games you will prob like this

You put Skyrim in this list?  Skyrim is nothing like ME, ME2, Dragon Age...nothing at all like them.  LOL!

Skyrim is not a shooting game like Me or me 2 but it certainly is a role playing game like those , they have quests , instead of useing guns they use swords or powers like the characters in me or me 2 use. if you do not think that skyrim is a rpg like me or me2 or dragon age than you need to go back and replay, sorry dude your wrong, but I have read some other posts by you and you are usually wrong

Just cause Skyrim is an RPG doesn't mean it plays the same as other RPGs. Final Fantasy is an RPG but it doesn't play like Skyrim.

Well lets dig a bit deeper,  with Skyrim you take quests, do quests and bring them back to the npc for a reward, hmmm you do that in the games i mentioned including SWTOR which is what i am really talking about.  2. with Skyrim you can join a guild, in swtor you can join a guild , one is with real people the other with ai but still guilds. 3 Skyrim has fighting with swords and powers, swtor and the other games mentioned the same. 4. Skyrim you fight alot in dungeons as do the other games especially swtor.  5. the games metioned have a above average story as does Skyrim. 6. dang skyrim is more like these other games than even I thought at first. 7 skyrim has crafting as does swtor and dao,  8 Skyrim has story voice overs as does these other games. 8. Skyrim does have a more open world but its quest follow linear paths for the most part. Skyrim does fit in with these games oh yea

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by alakram

The people likeing the game is playing it, the people dislikeing it is posting on the forums. Nuf said.

thank you for bringing me to my senses, you cant beat a troll they have heads of rocks, its back to Star wars!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Teala

if you are interested in game for PVP and are the type thats tired of rift and wows pvp you probably won't enjoy this games pvp very long.. if yo liked KOTOR and bioware's other games like dragon age and mass effect you will enjoy the game

Agreed, skyrim, me, me 2, ddragon age, etc , if you like those games you will prob like this

You put Skyrim in this list?  Skyrim is nothing like ME, ME2, Dragon Age...nothing at all like them.  LOL!

Skyrim is not a shooting game like Me or me 2 but it certainly is a role playing game like those , they have quests , instead of useing guns they use swords or powers like the characters in me or me 2 use. if you do not think that skyrim is a rpg like me or me2 or dragon age than you need to go back and replay, sorry dude your wrong, but I have read some other posts by you and you are usually wrong

Just cause Skyrim is an RPG doesn't mean it plays the same as other RPGs. Final Fantasy is an RPG but it doesn't play like Skyrim.

Well lets dig a bit deeper,  with Skyrim you take quests, do quests and bring them back to the npc for a reward, hmmm you do that in the games i mentioned including SWTOR which is what i am really talking about.  2. with Skyrim you can join a guild, in swtor you can join a guild , one is with real people the other with ai but still guilds. 3 Skyrim has fighting with swords and powers, swtor and the other games mentioned the same. 4. Skyrim you fight alot in dungeons as do the other games especially swtor.  5. the games metioned have a above average story as does Skyrim. 6. dang skyrim is more like these other games than even I thought at first. 7 skyrim has crafting as does swtor and dao,  8 Skyrim has story voice overs as does these other games. 8. Skyrim does have a more open world but its quest follow linear paths for the most part. Skyrim does fit in with these games oh yea

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Most of the haters are either:

a) Disgruntled sandboxers who dont have a AAA sandbox to play so they come here and trash themepark MMOs instead.

b) Ex-SWG players who are annoyed their game was ruined / shut down.

c) People who dont like Star Wars / Sci Fi and just want to stop people from leaving the current games.

I havent seen a single intelligent arguement against SWTOR except from people who just hate themeparks. And everybody knew that this game wasnt going to be a sandbox from day one, they just need to move on.

Combat in SWTOR is easily more fun and balanced than what youll find in WoW, Rift, Everquest 2 or LOTRO. Also the later worlds (Taris onwards) are massive, and the difficulty ramps up after level 30.

TLDR - If you like themepark and dont have some deep rooted hatred for Star Wars then youll like the game. If you dont like themepark or sci fi, you wont like the game.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by evilastro

a) Disgruntled sandboxers who dont have a AAA sandbox to play so they come here and trash themepark MMOs instead.

c) People who dont like Star Wars / Sci Fi and just want to stop people from leaving the current games.

I havent seen a single intelligent arguement against SWTOR except from people who just hate themeparks. And everybody knew that this game wasnt going to be a sandbox from day one, they just need to move on.

Combat in SWTOR is easily more fun and balanced than what youll find in WoW, Rift, Everquest 2 or LOTRO. Also the later worlds (Taris onwards) are massive, and the difficulty ramps up after level 30.

TLDR - If you like themepark and dont have some deep rooted hatred for Star Wars then youll like the game. If you dont like themepark or sci fi, you wont like the game.

i don't find the combat any more fun honestly.. actually find the slower pace less fun especially for pvp. But thats me,  many like the slower paced less twitch combat. For PVE I find it fine but not really enjoying PVP at all

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

I have clearly stated quite a few times the problems that SWTOR has but it gets lumped in with other posts as 'troll'  or 'hater' posts. Anyone who supports SWTOR isn't looking for an actual discussion on SWTOR's faults that make it not worth its cost. So don't act like the people who dislike the game don't actually have a reason for their opinion. You're just not actually looking for it.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

No the game is not nearly as bad as some are saying.... here's why:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/336175/How-SWTOR-is-being-innovative-among-AAA-MMOs.html

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Or if you don't like/burnt out on current gen mmorpg's gameplay wise.

You can still be a sci fi and Star Wars fan :D

Oh and jpnole has a list of opinions as well.

Seriousely though OP, just try the game out you might like it, some people have, one if my friens I got recently to play it because and I quote "Doesn't like being around a lot of players and really just wants an SRPG Kotor with some multiplayer in it." It's why he went to the RP Server, but that's what he told me and he's having a lot of fun, no sarcism at all.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

i don't find the combat any more fun honestly.. actually find the slower pace less fun especially for pvp. But thats me,  many like the slower paced less twitch combat. For PVE I find it fine but not really enjoying PVP at all

Pace for PvP seems about on par with every other MMO I have played. Unless you mean you cant really one shot people?

Combat is long enough to require strategic use of stuns, interrupts and knockbacks. No cheap kills.

The battlegrounds have better design than any other game at the moment, and the open world pvp planet is amazingly fun.

I have clearly stated quite a few times the problems that SWTOR has but it gets lumped in with other posts as 'troll'  or 'hater' posts. Anyone who supports SWTOR isn't looking for an actual discussion on SWTOR's faults that make it not worth its cost. So don't act like the people who dislike the game don't actually have a reason for their opinion. You're just not actually looking for it.

Checking your post history... doesnt seem you have clearly stated any problems with SWTOR. You just make baseless claims that the game will be dead in a month, and that its boring without stating exactly why. Lots of speculation when it seems you havent even played the game at a high level.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Originally posted by Puremallace

Go try it yourself or wait for a trial. Some of us do not like it and some do. It seems to be 50/50 right now.

50/50 might be on forums, but I assure you there are thousands of people playing game, not giving the slightest shit about forums and negativity. And if we consider those peopel playing, I can with a lot of confidence speculate that a few hundred forum warriors bashing the game are in huge minority.

• FextFext Member Posts: 34

It's not THAT bad - it's in fact better than average, some 60 out of 100 points.

If you liked KOTOR this is just KOTOR with some MMO features.

My char was on quite a low level 24 when I ended with the game and EA, so hard to speculate about endgame content but maybe somebody might have personal experience. 

The questing was nice, voiceacting great, teamwork was boring,  sometimes because people did not know how to play their roles, but despite it you can't really wipe. Graphic was in general good, the body models and animations have enough room for improvement, nothing like AoC (but OTOH a way faster and less laggy than AoC).

• FextFext Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by StarI

50/50 might be on forums, but I assure you there are thousands of people playing game, not giving the slightest shit about forums and negativity. And if we consider those peopel playing, I can with a lot of confidence speculate that a few hundred forum warriors bashing the game are in huge minority.

The real question is the endgame content.

As long as you level in a single player the game is great - the KOTOR is back in it's old glory. The multiplayer content is boring but you can live on the great quests and story - as long as it is new for you. 

But what happens when the quests are over and the story is concluded? Is there some good endgame stuff?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Puremallace

Go try it yourself or wait for a trial. Some of us do not like it and some do. It seems to be 50/50 right now.

Enthusiasts (of any game) are a huge minority too, though.  Most of the people who buy games are surprisingly casual, and aren't anything like fanbois or haters.  I think that's why so many MMOs fail at retention.  The masses can be the most fickle of all.  They don't quit because they hate the game.  They like a game for a while, or maybe they're not that crazy about it, but either way, they tend to just get bored and move on.

I just find it funny that fans of a game are always proclaiming the haters to be the vocal minority, when the fans tend to be just as much of a vocal minority, too.  Most people are somewhere in between, and just quietly play the game until they quietly quit.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• lonhelyglonhelyg Member Posts: 73

The game is a lot of fun especially the combat , its nothing groundbreaking , but I still think its the best game to come along in years , I'm having an absoulute blast with my bounty hunter ! :)

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

I think the question sould be "Is the game really that good"

• DahlifyrDahlifyr Member UncommonPosts: 134

Yeah it is pretty bad. Notice how the "fans" have to use excuses to like it. Dont have high expectations, take it for what it is, you are playing it wrong bla bla bla. Or they just love it couse it  is star wars and they dont care about anything else, they dont really demand anythin....kind of spineless if i may say.

The game is amazingly linear, i hated Coruscant and preyed that it was better planets to come....Then i arrived at Taris and it was all the same. Listen to a guy talk and walk this line to the next quest where you kill/gather x amount of anything.....

And where are the mmo-feeling, its stonedead and i play on Bloodworthy. They really need to get rid of the rediculus instancing.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

SWTOR was ok ( beta and pre release ) but i did not purchase because its just the same old thing. I thought the graphics were circa 2006 and iI found myself so bored of the conversations I would get up smoke a cig, grab some tea or something and listen from afar it just didnt draw me in at all...

Compared to ME / ME2 - Story not even close

Compared to MMOs of the past that I liked ( swg / eq2 /wow/ vanguard / DDO / lotro for a time ) its probably more like LOTRO than all the rest... just very on rails.

Open world MMOs SWG/WoW/Vanguard give you choice where how to level and part of the fun, actually a ton of it is exploration... SWTOR is not an explorers game at all... so for me not good.

That said, if you are new to MMOs or like the on rails,  take me through a story thing  . . .

You may just love it !

I would also guess that for most people you couldn't go wrong with a single playthrough.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Originally posted by Fext

As long as you level in a single player the game is great - the KOTOR is back in it's old glory. The multiplayer content is boring but you can live on the great quests and story - as long as it is new for you. 

But what happens when the quests are over and the story is concluded? Is there some good endgame stuff?

I realy couldn't care less about endgame content when the journey is worth every penny.

After a week of playing I'm already happy even if I only have left another week of enjoyment - for the money I have spent.

(EXAMPLE: I got bored of Skyrim after about 50 hours of gameplay and I will get much much more from SW it seems)

If some of you are such unsociable human beings who rather avoid group content (all the heroics, flashpoints and warzones, just because you can solo to max level (LIKE IN EVERY OTHER MMO) and claim an MMO a singleplayer game it's realy no one to blame but yourself for being saddos.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Fext

Two words:  World PvP

Something that WoW ignored initially and never got right subsequently.  Luckily, the daoc team is on the job for EA Bioware.