Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Trion Compromised

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Rift players will want to check their email for notification from Trion Worlds that the data servers have been compromised.

The database in question contained information including user names, encrypted passwords, dates of birth, email addresses, billing addresses, and the first and last four digits and expiration dates of customer credit cards.

There is no evidence, and we have no reason to believe, that full credit card information was accessed or compromised in any way. We have already taken further action to strengthen our systems, even as we, with external security experts, continue to research the extent of the unauthorized access.

Players will have to change passwords and reattach any authenticator that they may be using. Unfortunately, at the time of this writing the Trion/Rift site is down so accomplishing that task is not possible.

Read the full notice on the Trion site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

SWTOR fans are attacking the compitition directly now.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

I can log in just fine. no issues here password already changed

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Truly a shame. Trion works harder than any dev team ive had experience with. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

wow, first Sony and now Trion.

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

im so sick of reading about all these gaming companies getting attacked and pillaged by hackers. hackers are so damn annoying!!  we need to elect g.w.bush again so he can declare war on hackers lol

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Originally posted by nomss

wow, first Sony and now Trion.

Lets not forget Steam as well. It truly is a shame.

I went ahead and changed my password and installed their Mobile Authenticator on my tablet.

• GeevesGeeves Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Wish I'd never bought this game. Played it for a day or two when it was released, never touched it again. Now I have to worry about some criminals having my full name, birth date, email address and much of my credit card information. Why is my credit card information still on their system? I'm not playing the game, don't plan to anytime soon and if I did come back having to re enter t would be next to no effort at all.

Forget about the hackers being annoying, it's about time these bloody companies started treating the security of my data seriously.

MUNDO!!

Originally posted by Amarok44

Forget about the hackers being annoying, it's about time these bloody companies started treating the security of my data seriously.

Hackers downed US Militaries drones in Iran. Trust me if they want in they are going to get in. Just a risk of being on the interwebz

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Amarok44

Hackers downed US Militaries drones in Iran. Trust me if they want in they are going to get in. Just a risk of being on the interwebz

Serious security design flaws and poor security practices have been pointed out by various agencies for years in relation to the various unmanned drones. (lulz at how the virus got into the drone command and control computers)

However, the main issue is that many institutions (especially video game companies) deal with security issues as an afterthought. They are rather easy targets, by design or lack of, and hold a lot of valuable data which is why there has been such a high number of significant attacks.

It is the same issue with game integrity (game hacks, bots, DRM, leaked full games, and such). Security on nearly all  levels just hasn't been considered much a concern by the video game industry. That will change and has been slowly changing. The high profile hacking has just been highlighting a systemic problem that exists nearly everywhere where security isn't "critical".

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• lilwinslilwins Member Posts: 114
    OK this has seriously just pissed me off, beyond measure. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, man wtf. Now I'm reluctant to put any of my real information in MMO accounts anymore because of this and to only use gametime cards to pay.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Is anyone surprised? It's not like this is the first time Trion's security has been shown to be a bad joke.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Well This is surprising. Never expected TRION to get hit like that.  I guess even the most perfect, scrupulous and careful mmo companies are not safe :[

Hopefully it does njot have any lasting damage to them.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Like others have already said, if a hacker wants in, they're gonna get in....its expected!  Who knows, maybe all these hacks are just attempts at forcing companies to better secure their networks!

Overall, all I see is a free 3 days for changing my password....and I was thinking about coming back soon and this will help me decide better being able to log into my account instead of a new trial.

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190

I cancelled my account several months ago. I don't know why Trion needs to hold on to my credit card info.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by Timukas

Originally posted by Otakun

SWTOR fans are attacking the compitition directly now.

What competition? Rift is just a nice and small game with 2 factions of exactly the same classes. There's no competition nor attacking anything :)

I seriously thought it was TOR fans myself. That is where the money went that Bioware had. They paid off Anonymous!

/tinfoilhat

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Yuui

Well This is surprising. Never expected TRION to get hit like that.  I guess even the most perfect, scrupulous and careful mmo companies are not safe :[

Hopefully it does njot have any lasting damage to them.

This was sarcasm I assume, right?

How could it be surprising, not Trion's first issue.  

People forget Steam has been hacked too.  its not just moral reasons people get hacked.  They only announce it when its a moral issue.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Khrymson

Like others have already said, if a hacker wants in, they're gonna get in....its expected!  Who knows, maybe all these hacks are just attempts at forcing companies to better secure their networks!

Overall, all I see is a free 3 days for changing my password....and I was thinking about coming back soon and this will help me decide better being able to log into my account instead of a new trial.

^This^

It's why, although you'll rarely hear about it publically....governments all over are actively trying to recruit these guys.  It's the nature of the beast.  The hackers are alwaysw one step ahead of ANY security, and companies/governments try to play catch up.

• syndreamersyndreamer Member UncommonPosts: 43

If you're information is on the Internet, you can be compromised. It all determines whether your information is valuable enough. You can't hide your information on the Internet, because the government also has your info in their databanks. It's just common nowadays to have your info floating throughout Internet and being picked up and glossed over, then tossed back into the pile by hackers.

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

This year alone: Sony, Codemasters, and Trion.

Forum hacks: Steam, Turbine, and Runes and Magic.

Do I miss any? It just goes to show this is not just Trions wrong doing. OK, I admit, I have become a very big fan of the Trion team, and I hope this doesn't affect them to much, except for getting some better security.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Mightyking

This year alone: Sony, Codemasters, and Trion.

Forum hacks: Steam, Turbine, and Runes and Magic.

Do I miss any? It just goes to show this is not just Trions wrong doing. OK, I admit, I have become a very big fan of the Trion team, and I hope this doesn't affect them to much, except for getting some better security.

Trion will be fine, unlike Sony people  will label Trion as a victim.   Sony get extremely unfair backlash over the whole thing and Trion will get very little backlash.

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

This kind of act is cracking, NOT hacking:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/security/hacker-vs-cracker/1400

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

Seriously?  "We have already taken further action to strengthen our systems "" k" ""

Then why didn't they strengthen their systems before hand if it was so easily possible to do so after?  way to go

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I received that notice today. Along with a couple of other things I've noticed, I am now assuming all of my online accounts have been compromised and am taking various steps to secure them. Including the one here.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

One should wonder if hacking is becomming a society danger and as such should be punished by life in prison or death.

If you attack the instituion of society the punishment is much worse than normal crime and hacking is becomming such a crime.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."