Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst MMO launch ever.

1235»

Comments

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by taus01

Blatant lies about a grace period. Then suddenly 2 days grace period after consumer organizations where informed.

Staggered early access that did nothing to help with overpopulation or queues

Unfinished game (mobs with no animation, missing voice acting on quests (the much hyped feature)

Ghost town syndrome. Sterile and lifeless environment partly due to heavy instancing (max 100 players per instance)

No advanced graphics features enabled (no high res textures, no AA, Anisotrophy, View distance etc.) 

Only a few street conversations (random NPC chatter) are voiced, the rest is jsut text or missing completely (90% is missing)

Complete stop of sales in Europe even before the game was released (you still can not buy the game in europe from Origin)

Forum and website completely overloaded and shut down when there are patches.

Unable to enter Product Key or subscribe because servers are completely overloaded.

Unable to post on forums for help when you are not subscribed.

The game is still incredibly fun to play though for one playthrough but not worth a monthly subscription.

PS: please do not reply if you have anything else then a valid argument to contribute or counter any of my points. Spare me the usual "But thats how MMO's launch", "there will be a miracle patch" yada yada yada...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sorry man, is it your first time? SWTOR had an above average launch. No server crashes; not too many game breaking glitches, enough content for every level.

Yep. You haven't been doing this long, have you?

quick add; RIFT had one of the smoothest launches in MMO history. (MMOhut.com), I'm max level in SWTOR now, and I feel TOR had a pretty decent launch. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Don't know what this guy is complaining about. Don't see any of those problems. To say it's the worst launch ever is crazy. This launch is right up there with Rift and LOTRO imo. I've had zero crashes or problems with the game. There are a few broken quests and nodes you can't use but those will be fixed give it time. Can't stand these sky is falling coments about an mmo that JUST released. Slow the $$$$ down, srsly.
  • JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

Blatant lies about a grace period. Then suddenly 2 days grace period after consumer organizations where informed.

Unfinished game (mobs with no animation, missing voice acting on quests (the much hyped feature)

Ghost town syndrome. Sterile and lifeless environment partly due to heavy instancing (max 100 players per instance)

No advanced graphics features enabled (no high res textures, no AA, Anisotrophy, View distance etc.) 

Only a few street conversations (random NPC chatter) are voiced, the rest is jsut text or missing completely (90% is missing)

Complete stop of sales in Europe even before the game was released (you still can not buy the game in europe from Origin)

Unable to enter Product Key or subscribe because servers are completely overloaded.

The game is still incredibly fun to play though for one playthrough but not worth a monthly subscription.

PS: please do not reply if you have anything else then a valid argument to contribute or counter any of my points. Spare me the usual "But thats how MMO's launch", "there will be a miracle patch" yada yada yada...

You're obviously new to the genre. Ask someone about Funcom and the launch of Anarchy Online.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by alexhpy98721

False advertising and greed...

First they say 30 free days with purchase... then they think "hey let`s force them to subscribe, all those subs look better in numbers and count towards our christmas bonuses". 

So they force you to subscribe..... and this overloads their website and now nobody can subscribe/play/register codes and so on...  so greed ruins another game.... 

No matter how much they say they are all for quality and bla bla, it`s still pure greed....

This is a pretty common standard in the MMO industry. WoW, EQ2, LOTRO and Rift all ask you to provide a credit card to get the 30 free days. With any of these games, and SWTOR, you can cancel before the first month is up and youll get that 30 days with no ongoing bills. 

Is this your first MMO or something?

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by Zecktorin

Tons of people will disagree with you... Way more polished than WoW or Rift was when it Launched.

what drugs are you on? Rift was the best mmo launch in the history off mmo's. it didnt crash, everyone who ordered it got in and early access all got in. their was zero lag issues. and they opened new servers to alleviate the ques.

now rift 6 months in is another story haha, now it sucks. but its launch was the best ive ever seen and ive been playing mmo's since 99'

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Complication

Rift was the best mmo launch in the history off mmo's.

Naw.  Good solid A, but not the best.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

Here are the three best launch experiences I have been a part of.

Lotro = Good

Rift = Better

Swtor = Best

DDO was an O.K. launch

SWG was a bad launch.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by Sora2810

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sorry man, is it your first time? SWTOR had an above average launch. No server crashes; not too many game breaking glitches, enough content for every level.

Yep. You haven't been doing this long, have you?

quick add; RIFT had one of the smoothest launches in MMO history. (MMOhut.com), I'm max level in SWTOR now, and I feel TOR had a pretty decent launch. 

I could be your dad, shrimp! I think i was clear in my OP that pointless posts like this are not needed. You have failed to add to the discussion. 

Since you can not counter argument any of my points you have to try to attack the messanger and resort to wild assumptions that i am too young and have no idea about MMOs.

Here is a clue, son. Learn to argue like a grown up.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

How about listing say a mere 10 mmorpgs that you actually played on release day and write down your specific experiences with problems on a one paragraph per game format then write a paragraph on actual release day experiences you had with swtor.  Now, these must be games you actually played at release and not games you "heard" about played.

Then we can see where you are coming from...........

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Originally posted by nerovipus32

origin took 50 euro out of my bank account in september i should have recieved the product activation key straight away. Now they are telling people there was a problem with the transaction that it is still pending and to contact your bank.

Something that happened to me with another MMO, is that my CC company flagged the transaction as a possible fraud and blocked all internet transactions with my CC. I had no idea until I tried to log into my game and was denied and after investigating found that the CC was declined. A quick call to my CC company rectified the problem.

Hopefully this is the case with your problem.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

1. Blatant lies about a grace period. Then suddenly 2 days grace period after consumer organizations where informed.

2. Staggered early access that did nothing to help with overpopulation or queues

3. Unfinished game (mobs with no animation, missing voice acting on quests (the much hyped feature)

4. Ghost town syndrome. Sterile and lifeless environment partly due to heavy instancing (max 100 players per instance)

5. No advanced graphics features enabled (no high res textures, no AA, Anisotrophy, View distance etc.) 

6. Only a few street conversations (random NPC chatter) are voiced, the rest is jsut text or missing completely (90% is missing)

7. Complete stop of sales in Europe even before the game was released (you still can not buy the game in europe from Origin)

8. Forum and website completely overloaded and shut down when there are patches.

9. Unable to enter Product Key or subscribe because servers are completely overloaded.

10. Unable to post on forums for help when you are not subscribed.

11. The game is still incredibly fun to play though for one playthrough but not worth a monthly subscription.

12. PS: please do not reply if you have anything else then a valid argument to contribute or counter any of my points. Spare me the usual "But thats how MMO's launch", "there will be a miracle patch" yada yada yada...

ok.. since I am bored and can't play atm why not.

1. = There is a grace period now so who cares. Yes they fucked up then FIXED it ...your point is? Irrelevant.

2. = They tried to make it as smooth as possible but people like the named servers and the fact that so many want in them is in and off itself NOT a bad thing you think? More players = good. It's new and alot of people are gonna tie up the servers for the first few weeks. They are doing well by comparison to new  mmo standards. Disagree.

3. = I personally havent seen that at all (missing dialect on quests)so = conjecture or hearsay to me so irrelevant for me to comment on it. For the world environment yes it's lacking in ambience. (not a game killer to me to see  rabbits running around or wind in my hair etc but to some maybe immersion killer) Seems petty to me. IMO. Disagree and Agree.

4. = I am not big on instances so would tend to agree on the other hand NOT FIGHTING 89758957345 people over a quest mob isn't a bad thing. SO I agree and Disagree lol.

5. = Agree totally, makes me wonder about overall stability of the game engine for future additions etc. When you apply the ini tweak for AA it JACKS your game client to garbage. I smell a problem batman...... Agree totally.

(PS edit on this one - you can change the view distance under the preferance tab, the default is terrible, try settign it at 50% ---you need to look at shit more before saying it isn't in game)

6. = This is part of number 3 no double dipping on complaints bro.

7. = No idea nor do I care about Europe in any way shape or form so cannot comment. (No problem with europe at all btw I dont live there so it does not affect me is all)

8. = Would have to agree but then again when the forums are better then the game there IS a problem (aka Warcraft anyone?) Access to the forums one way or the other with the game up or down I could care less about. Not a game killer to me. Agree...kinda.

9. = I had that to , the wait was a whole 5 minutes. Totally acceptable, you got ADD if this is a problem. If it IS A problem you wont like the game anyway with the cutscenes etc etc. Disagree.

10. = Should be with # 8 , again no double diping. There is an 800 number (where you get some indian dude that doesn't habla btw) that is worth complaining about if you must complain about CS issues. So agree but your wrong lol. Ea's CS or biowares whoever = the CS SUCKS. If you need it I am sorry for you.

11. = This is your opinion , people's mileage will vary and you are not the replayability meter judge in this aspect. Disagree.

11.5 This is my gripe, no footprints on the ground when I walk (that irritates the fuk out of me cause I am wierd (also goes to prior point ambiance)  the other is overall lack of cool aliens. Everyone is a human or twilik cause the rest are retarded imo. Far far better races to choose from in the star wars story other than some blind human looking dudes and cyborgs? wtf is that........... again all my opinion mileage may vary but I think the races available are weak tea.

12. = I will respond to whoever I  feel like with whatever I feel like saying  :) And it will be ok this is how mmo's launch and the miracle patch comes out on 34th street at 10 am on the 23rd. I read that on teh interwebz soooz itz must be truze.

To me I think the game is well worth the 60 bucks. It's worth at least a few months of replayability (to me) so I am planing on subbing at least for a little bit and then I will go from there.

It has enough new twists and coats of paint to be interesting for someone who is burnt out raider on wow imo. (me) Will it hold up long haul who knows, Ill tell you if archage ever gets released here in the US.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

I love being in the minority on every game launch. Alawys smooth, no hitches on the billing, no trouble on the DL, no queue to get in to play. Graphics fine on max, turn the in game music off right off the bat and crank up the dubstep as loud as the neighbors will allow it on the Bose, and just get to playin! So much stressin, so many complaints, so many 'I wanted' and 'it was sposed to', you're all going to get grey hair at age 25. 

Sorry y'all, another perfect launch for me again, wish you could join me but.......expectations will kill you EVERY time. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• zunstreezunstree Member UncommonPosts: 129

Seems fine for me. I have no idea where your seeing missing voice acting, the only time i have not noticed that was the narrative text that sometimes appears.

I have noticed that npc's talking to each other sometimes repeats a bit, but listening to the convo is sometimes interesting. Even when they repeat its not that annoying, at least not nearly as much as the damned arrow to the knee meme everyone loves to spam general chat with.

I also got the product key in just fine, though the fourm thing is annoying as hell. I do understand why they did it, but it could have been implemented much better.

Not sure if you read anything about it, but they said if enough copies of the game were sold, they would limit sales as to not stress the servers to much. I'm betting thats what is going on for Europe. If they didnt, then im guessing the wait and queues for some people would be worse in that region.

I only noticed when im playing in the night really, and at least on my server 'Krath' i never really see more then 2 instances of an area open at a time. I'm thinking you might have shot ahead of the bulk of players since i believe you mentioned you played beta alot, thus you likely focused more on the main quest then the sides, or regardless knew exactly what to do. The bulk of players are likely gonna advance slower.

Also, regardless of the issues, its one of the smoothest launches ive ever been in, and i can count The Realm Online (Kudo's for whoever doesnt have to look that up), UO, EQ, AO, DAOC, PlanetSide,EQ2, WOW, COH (Well, entered 5 days in),  SWG, Ryzom, and DCO among titles ive been in at launch

-Edit-

Forgot Age of Conan, which was frankly a disaster, at least for me.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Funny thread...

1) I am not familiar with said events, can't comment on that one.

2) Did not help? Early access is not supposed to help with launch queues so your point is moot.

3) Not elated to launch.

4) Not related to launch.

5) Not related to launch.

6) Cap on sales is surely unpleasant for customers but only way to control access to your service and thus help the stability.

7) Web servers overloaded at launch, how unexpected... Some maintenance tasks require service shutdown, not very surprising either.

8) Same as 7

9) Standard and reasonable practice. You do not need non-subscribers to spam your forums. Subbed trolls at least pay for your moderators.

Your "P.S." comes out as ridiculous, do not ask others to deliver what you can't deliver yourself.

Enjoy the game though :)

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I know you TROLLIN'

Worst MMO launch would be Hellgate:London, next worst would be All Points Bulletin.

SWTOR launch is so bad that 85% of servers are crammed with hour long queues... oh yeah it's a ghost town alright.

• VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353

Spare me your rebuttals I have mowed you down!

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.