Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't more places review MMO's like this?

DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'm not a huge fan of pro reviews, nor IGN in how they typically review a game. However this is the way it should be done IMO.

6 pages so far very indepth and detailed. No score yet... You'd think at least MMO sites would take such an approach.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1214622p1.html

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

IGN has revamped how they review MMOs because of what happened with AOC.. and I for one really like it.. they span these across a week to two weeks and try and get everything in that they can.

Say what you will about them, but they do their best when it comes to reviews.. and its usually the first place I go to check a review on most games.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by maskedweasel

IGN has revamped how they review MMOs because of what happened with AOC.. and I for one really like it.. they span these across a week to two weeks and try and get everything in that they can.

Say what you will about them, but they do their best when it comes to reviews.. and its usually the first place I go to check a review on most games.

For me IGN score is the last word. I don't feel a need of looking for reviews at any other website.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Distopia
    I'm not a huge fan of pro reviews, nor IGN in how they typically review a game. However this is the way it should be done IMO.
    6 pages so far very indepth and detailed. No score yet... You'd think at least MMO sites would take such an approach.
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1214622p1.html

It is very refreshing to read an actual review - being informative and about the game, not the writer and his affection.

Sadly same as with this site, threads with flaming and trolling gets more attention and generate more traffic than those that are reasoned and constructive - those are 'boring' for most.

• VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

Tbh, i strongly agree with this comment about IGN's MMO reviewing method.

I don't understand why you review MMO games in this way. They never come out as reviews. They seem more like a long article about how the game is laid out.

I have read almost all your MMO reviews and these ones that do the extended journal format are not very informational. Usually if I am playing the game along side reading the review here I find that I am always much further ahead in terms of progressions and discovering things about the game then the reviewer is.

I also don't play more then an hour or two a day on the weekdays so it is not like I am power leveling through the game. I have been playing for a week and my toon is only a lvl 21. Most poeple in my guild are already in their 40s

Most of what has been written about this game in the review can be found on the swtor site or random wikis without even having to play the game. I could have pretty much written this "review" so far just by reading about the game on various sites and echoing what they said.

Once you get around to scoring the game usually so much time has gone by that most poeple have already decided if they will be buying and playing the game or not.

I really like the site but I wish you would change the format of these reviews. It would be nice to give a tentative score based on your first impressions on (How the game plays, what is unique about the game, what works/does not work, and how much fun it is overall)

Sharing your impressions on stuff like that would be more useful then explaining what the class systems are and how to progress through them. If we want that information we would be reading a guide not a review.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

What I like most is that the writer isn't rushing to be the first to have an arbitrary score to show the world. Very refreshing indeed.

Side note: Thanks for the background on this Masked...image

Originally posted by Verterdegete

I don't understand why you review MMO games in this way. They never come out as reviews. They seem more like a long article about how the game is laid out.

I have read almost all your MMO reviews and these ones that do the extended journal format are not very informational. Usually if I am playing the game along side reading the review here I find that I am always much further ahead in terms of progressions and discovering things about the game then the reviewer is.

Well if the guy is actually playing he's already bypassed the whole purpose of a review. I completely disagree here.

Well if the guy is actually playing he's already bypassed the whole purpose of a review. I completely disagree here.

That's not the point of the quoted comment.

Well i also disagree on his point that the review should be about his impressions and less about functionality, IMO that's exactly what a review should be about "functionality and performance" and far less about the reviewers peeves and preferences.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

makes some good points about the combat system and mirrors how I feel about the exclusion of auto attack

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Well, if it takes a while for a review to come out and the details actually show in the review, that's good.  Over a course of time, especially in the ultra-critical first month, is an outstanding gage to see the state of the game and where it's going.  IMO, the review should never include posts by developers about what they intend to do for the game.  Because such posts are more damage control and instilling false hope for things to possibly take place waaaaayyyy down the road, or maybe not at all.  The review should be takes on the current state of the game and mentioning what has been getting fixed, and not what's going to be fixed.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The point in the comment is flawed.

It is based on assumption that there is an objective way to measure and evaluate 'how the game plays, how fun it is' etc.

There is not. Reviews of that kind have no value as they are not describing the game but the writer and his emotional state. This type of things are appropriate to be posted on personal blogs, not in a magazine that is supposed to have some informative value for the readers.

The problem here as I see it is the lack of writing skills. Those so called writers cannot write so they 'blog' instead.

Originally posted by Warmaker

Well, if it takes a while for a review to come out and the details actually show in the review, that's good.  Over a course of time, especially in the ultra-critical first month, is an outstanding gage to see the state of the game and where it's going.  IMO, the review should never include posts by developers about what they intend to do for the game.  Because such posts are more damage control and instilling false hope for things to possibly take place waaaaayyyy down the road, or maybe not at all.  The review should be takes on the current state of the game and mentioning what has been getting fixed, and not what's going to be fixed.

Good points here... I agree 100%

Originally posted by Gdemami

The point in the comment is flawed.

It is based on assumption that there is an objective way to measure and evaluate 'how the game plays, how fun it is' etc.

There is not. Reviews of that kind have no value as they are not describing the game but the writer and his emotional state. This type of things are appropriate to be posted on personal blogs, not in a magazine that is supposed to have some informative value for the readers.

The problem here as I see it is the lack of writing skills. Those so called writers cannot write so they 'blog' instead.

Well said, basically how I felt about the "quote" as well.

Well i also disagree on his point that the review should be about his impressions and less about functionality, IMO that's exactly what a review should be about "functionality and performance" and far less about the reviewers peeves and preferences.

He never said that.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Whoa! An actual review! I may have to subscribe. I don't mind blogs and opinion pieces, but I rarely take them seriously whether good or bad. I take the Lewis Black stance on blogging hehe

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

He never said that.

Sharing your impressions on stuff like that would be more useful then explaining what the class systems are and how to progress through them

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

That is another AOC type review and why noone trust IGN anymore...Everything is fine and the stuff that sucks is minor just ignore it.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Puremallace

That is another AOC type review and why noone trust IGN anymore...Everything is fine and the stuff that sucks is minor just ignore it.

Ah... BioWare Defense Force Member 171 reporting for duty, eh?  Nothing to see here, folks.  EVERYTHING IS FINE!!!!

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Er, War, you might want to look over his post history before you leap to that conclusion.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.