Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Checking it twice…

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With Christmas literally right around the corner, it behooves us to know the best gifts to buy for our loved ones. In today's Coyote's Howling, we take a look at the things we should NEVER buy the gamer in our lives. Read on and then leave us a comment or two.

With only a few days left before Christmas, everyone is scrambling to finish that last bit of shopping that they have to do.

In an effort to avoid the awkward silence or the obviously fake too-enthusiastic smile that comes when someone receives a gift that they know they’ll never use, we’ve created a list of five things that you should never buy your gamer for Christmas.

Read more Coyote's Howling: Checking it twice…

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• udorusudorus Member Posts: 79

hehe so true :)

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Best line in the whole thing.

" You're not just bouncing a few bills off your sister's head like you're at a strip club in Arkansas"

• ZX81SpectrumZX81Spectrum Member Posts: 39

Happy Birthday dear Jesus, happy birthday to you!  (shakes housekeys to make it more jingely)

40 Year old couples and gaming. Toons borrowed from Cyanide and Happiness.Text is Yours truly. Paint ftw :)

• BadmiralBadmiral Member UncommonPosts: 5

very nice coyote, a gem as usual

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Merry Christmas Coyote ... heres a new fitness game because we all know how much you like games at this game will actually help you get in shape!

great article as usual.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Awesome, and oh so very true!

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Ecoces

Merry Christmas Coyote ... heres a new fitness game because we all know how much you like games at this game will actually help you get in shape!

great article as usual.

I think you forgot to tell him about the Build-It-Yourself fitness board that comes with it, as well as a gift card for a store that sells exclusively cassette tapes!

And agreed, loved reading it through and its delightfully sarcastic tones.

• NURTANURTA Member Posts: 21

Aquaman again? ;)

• Lord_RahlLord_Rahl Member Posts: 5

Congratulations. You just achieved the coveted "Coffee Spluttered Over My Keyboard Critical Hit" ...geniusly funny Coyote thanks, I really needed a laugh today :)

• Mr.CoyoteMr.Coyote Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Lord_Rahl

Congratulations. You just achieved the coveted "Coffee Spluttered Over My Keyboard Critical Hit" ...geniusly funny Coyote thanks, I really needed a laugh today :)

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

"but partially because the picture of the model on the box that lured you in was done by entire teams of professionals with steady hands and an almost DaVincian talent for Photoshop."

Or it was painted by one guy that ACTUALLY knows how to paint properly.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Hey, I wouldn't mind any of the gifts...I still enjoy music CDs, there is a novelty in actually having the CD.

Gym membership/gym gear?  I'll take it.  I believe last year I asked for a set of weights that I still use.  Not that I need more...but I mean, this isn't a horrible gift if you plan on using them.

Gift cards?  Well, I will definetly take them if they are for somewhere that has decent stuff, but the 25$ wal-mart gift card I get every year from my grandpa?  I could do without that specific store, because I hate wal-mart and have no desire to go there, especially around, or after christmas.

Models?  Well, for a gamer who plays table top games...(Space Orks, Warhammer 40k)  I would love to get a few models for christmas.  In fact I asked for a specific model for christmas so I can flesh out my army more.  I suppose some of us just are into it while others are not!  (As far as a model that does nothing but sit there and collect dust, no thanks).

And video games?  Hell yea!  I understand you have to interact with your family, but I mean of course I want video games!  Buy me a nintendo, nintendo games, a sega, a super nintendo, a nintendo 64..ps1..ps2..I don't care, it all is great to me!  Sure I may have to wait to play them, farting in people's eggnog, but the anticipation makes it that much sweeter when you actually get to play!

Great write-up though, very funny as usual.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140

"the rest of us are basically the paste eating retards who failed art class."

Made me LOL while trying to drink Sprite, which subsequently shot out my nose, causing a great amount of pain and eye-watering.... Well done!

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,256

I remember getting MK2 on Genesis for xmas and dying to play it all day. Thanks for the memories :)

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Ahhhhh Warhammer 40k... No wonder my models look like shit lol.

"While it is true that there is a very small sub-species of geek who are adept at assembling small figures and painting them with breath taking detail; the rest of us are basically the paste eating retards who failed art class. Because of this, what we build never even faintly resembles the picture on the box when we're done."

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

I always read your posts Coyote, and you never disappoint.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I really enjoy it but for where the gift cards come from. I pass on the Taco Bell (rather make tacos at home and up away from computer for that hour at max) and rather have Amazon. Now days though I find a way to use any gift card that isn't food online if I need to. Get with the times and realize the gift cards can work. There are even ways to trade them with other people without ever leaving your computer to get what you want. 

Still greatly enjoyed the article except for that part where I felt like I was reading back when gift cards just started showing up.

• Squirrelz248Squirrelz248 Member Posts: 45

On the subject matter of gift cars in the article, not true.

Your loved ones can get you an amazon gift card, which can buy pratically anything and everything on amazon. Bazinga.

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

Scrub list, as it didn't really hit a point as to why someone would complain about a present or free gift they got that they actually wanted. I do agree some memberships are just silly, but a present is something that someone wants, and if they don't want that item, don't gift wrap it. You hate the person, you don't really care as to if they want the present or not.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by Mr.Coyote

Originally posted by Lord_Rahl

Sir if you were a real man.. gamer man.. you would have a picture of a bare foot and a D4.

Keep on keepin on the borderlands

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

Nice to see a Scrouge article instead of the Carebear stuff we usually get at Xmas. :)

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Games can also be a waste for hardcore gamers for another reason, they often allready have the game. If its a game they really want they will often buy them at or near release and it can be hard to surpise them with a gift like that because you have to sit and have an hour long discussion about which games they like and which ones they allready have.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265

idk this just makes me not like the article author. He sounds douchy himself.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• ArrakeynArrakeyn Member Posts: 8

Thank you Coyote and Merry Christmas.  Best laugh I had all week. :)

And I concur on the Taco Bell sequencing.

I would liken your analysis to the Viking Rule:

"You may rape and pillage in any order.  ALWAYS Burn Last."

Rookie mistakes indeed. :)