Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars : The Massive Snaf-fu!!

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Originally posted by Windamere

dude i didn't buy the box, like most people I bought the Digital download which came with 30 days of play time. So stop talking smack

Windamere, here is how it works.

A: you buy the game

B: You set your account

C: You choose a subscriptionplan

D: You play the game

E: After 30 days you eithercancel your subscription (this can be done at any time during these 30 days you still get to play for 30 days) or you have your choosen subscription plan kick in.

Simple as that. The creditcard is both a security measure and a tool used to simplify your continued patronage of the game.

Edit: Also you do not loose your account... you only loose the ability to acess the servers.

This have been a good conversation

• TivianTivian Member UncommonPosts: 168

I am thinking that this is the most useless post EVER!!

If you ABSOLUTLY need to complain...then why not knock the fact that there is SOOO much traffic on www.SWTOR.com that there is a que for people trying to get their subscription in place in order to play!

Mod needs to close this thread. useless I say!

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by Yamota

Yes OP is flaming, just got off phone with support, and being told that I can't use something I already paid for unless I agree to pay them more in the future is quite disheartening.

This.

Never understood the argument: Well everyone is doing it like this so then it is ok.

You paid for the box which means you paid for 30 days of gametime. No reason for them to take your credit card details for potential future transactions so you can enjoy what you already paid for.

Hehe no one forced you to buy it :D It said clearly on the box/online terms and conditions "Active subscription required" because you know you read the information on what you are buying you then decided whether or not you wanted to input your credit card and/or time card to start playing, if you didnt think this was acceptable you simply didnt buy SWTOR.

I mean its the logical thing to do right? Or do you just grab some moldy bread off the shelve and then complain when you get home that it was moldy?

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Regardless of how they did it ... you take 3 minutes and set up a sub and wham you got an account. Cancel immediately afterward. Yeah ...big snaffu.

...Oh and it wasn't everyone, a good majority knew they had to have a subscription today to log in.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Looking at the TOR facebook page it looks like a lot of folks dont understand that a sub is needed to play the free month. And people say WOW brought in the ignorant masses.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Everyone got the surprise of their life this 12/22/2011 AM when they tried to log on without having a subscription plan in place. You NO longer had an account even though you already paid for 30 days when you bought the game. Guess you just forfeit those 30 days unless you agree to subscribe!!!!

Way to keep customers.

I seriously doubt this MMO will last very long with these type of practices

Setup the sub, after everything is working cancel it: Problem solved, your free 30 days. Is it really that hard to think about that?

• WindamereWindamere Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by tawess

dude i didn't buy the box, like most people I bought the Digital download which came with 30 days of play time. So stop talking smack

Windamere, here is how it works.

A: you buy the game

B: You set your account

C: You choose a subscriptionplan

D: You play the game

E: After 30 days you eithercancel your subscription (this can be done at any time during these 30 days you still get to play for 30 days) or you have your choosen subscription plan kick in.

Simple as that. The creditcard is both a security measure and a tool used to simplify your continued patronage of the game.

No game in history has ever cancelled someones access until after the 30 day pre-paid. Yes they require you to have a sub to continue, this is a given. But you are also given that 30 days to determine "IF" you even want to sub or not. I can't recall any game in history that has locked out people prepaid gametime access within the first 2 days of opening

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by rav3n2

Yes OP is flaming, just got off phone with support, and being told that I can't use something I already paid for unless I agree to pay them more in the future is quite disheartening.

This.

Never understood the argument: Well everyone is doing it like this so then it is ok.

You paid for the box which means you paid for 30 days of gametime. No reason for them to take your credit card details for potential future transactions so you can enjoy what you already paid for.

Hehe no one forced you to buy it :D It said clearly on the box/online terms and conditions "Active subscription required" because you know you read the information on what you are buying you then decided whether or not you wanted to input your credit card and/or time card to start playing, if you didnt think this was acceptable you simply didnt buy SWTOR.

I mean its the logical thing to do right? Or do you just grab some moldy bread off the shelve and then complain when you get home that it was moldy?

Strawman argument. Just because it is written on the box does not mean the practice make any sense. I know this is a common practice for MMORPGs but that does not mean it makes any kind of sense.

Actually anyone with common sense would realise that having to give your credit card details, or equivalent, to be able to use something that you already paid for does not make any kind of sense.

This guy may be new to MMORPGs so it is perfectly reasonable that he finds it strange.

• jairusjairus Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by Rusty715

And people say WOW brought in the ignorant masses.

was thinking the same thing, lol.

reading the main SW forums makes WoW forums look like saints.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

also... Snaf-fu...?

I am pretty sure that would be situation normal all f****ed - f***ed up

and that makes no sense what so ever... neither in construction nor context...

OP get -30 points for that one.

This have been a good conversation

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Everyone got the surprise of their life this 12/22/2011 AM when they tried to log on without having a subscription plan in place. You NO longer had an account even though you already paid for 30 days when you bought the game. Guess you just forfeit those 30 days unless you agree to subscribe!!!!

Way to keep customers.

Like others have said you must be new to MMOS as this is the way it has always been, be thankfull they accept other types of payment instead of just Credit Cards.

Remember back when i first played EQ the only form of payment was credit cards, they where not very popular in the UK at the time but i was lucky my parents had one for me to use.. Now most MMOs accept nearly all types of bank cards and some even do paypal.

Anyway if you do only want to play the 30 days, sign up for an account and then cancel it you wil lbe free to play out the free 30 days and you wont have to pay another peny.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Someone tweet these idiots at Bioware please.. Whoever the guy is..

Tell the jackass's..

Take a couple thousand out of the hundreds of millions they made already and fucking go get a better interet service.. I'd almost want a better site than a first month patch..

Also make their server different from the fucking game server that goes down at same time..

My god..

/3hour webpage rage

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

To say this is a standard thing isn't true at all. I never had to do this for Rift and what about those people that never give out their CC information online? Surely, they cannot deny them of being able to play simply because they're cautious about their information... hell look at all the personal information that was leaked from Sony's servers. And what about those that buy time cards... do they need to add CC information as well? Imposterous.

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

3 hours rage , WTH i've logon from home it took 2 minutes, and I went to job and it took about 3 minutes.. Refresh your site, your browser have a problem

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

I love this game but I agree with the OP. They should make you do this maybe a week from your last 30 days, not right away. I am sure they have a reasonable explanation for this, but I cant seem to defend it. It really just comes down to them making more money off you in a sly and immoral way.

Originally posted by alakram

Way to keep customers.

Setup the sub, after everything is working cancel it: Problem solved, your free 30 days. Is it really that hard to think about that?

yes because here's the problem, already tried that, visa and mastercard both are blocking the $1.00 charge that SW:TOR is charging  to your account in the U.S. as a "SETUP FEE" and after calling SWTOR support they can't set it up either because they also have to go through the website (why are they even there?) But thats beyond the issue, the issue is I paid for 30 days.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by rav3n2

This.

Strawman argument. Just because it is written on the box does not mean the practice make any sense. I know this is a common practice for MMORPGs but that does not mean it makes any kind of sense.

Actually anyone with common sense would realise that having to give your credit card details, or equivalent, to be able to use something that you already paid for does not make any kind of sense.

This guy may be new to MMORPGs so it is perfectly reasonable that he finds it strange.

Well it does make sense when you provide your CC you prove that you can pay for the game and are not some sort of scammer, ofc you can put a time card in but its still a deterent. I remember when Trials required CC for this same reason to filter out scammer and gold farmers from genuine players. 

It does make sense when they tell you that is their rules, its not like you cant buy food, this is a service with specific rules they tell you, Buy This, Put your Credit card and Play our game. Now you seem to be acting like this information is not available and they made you pay for the game and then tricked you somehow. This information is ALL freely available to the consumer and in the terms of the service they provide.

Its like arguing with a internet provider saying they wont give you internet unless you setup a direct debit and pay a fee upfront for X amount of months even tho you dont pay for 30 days or whatever, its their service you have all the information you make the decision on whether to agree or not. If you have not informed yourself about the terms then its your fault and take it as a lesson and vote with your wallet and dont sub.

PS. the $1 is refunded back is just to check you actually have funds.

• mykpfsumykpfsu Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by Loekii

Originally posted by elocke

I don't understand these posts today.  It's like everyone thinks we humans don't make mistakes.  OR repeat them.  /sigh

It is human to make mistakes, but that doesn't mean that there are not consequences for them.

While this is a 'human' mistake, it is one that should not have happened in a professional setting.    The feeling -- which I agree with -- is that a business should have better advised their subscribers about this.

Is it the end of the world?  No.  Is it an example of poor customer service?  Yes - imo.

So by better advertise you mean putting it on the friggin splash screen that comes up when logging into the game?  You mean like PUT IT RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE?  Oh wait, they did that.  Learn to pay attention and not blame your idiocy on someone else.

Originally posted by mykpfsu

I don't understand these posts today.  It's like everyone thinks we humans don't make mistakes.  OR repeat them.  /sigh

It is human to make mistakes, but that doesn't mean that there are not consequences for them.

While this is a 'human' mistake, it is one that should not have happened in a professional setting.    The feeling -- which I agree with -- is that a business should have better advised their subscribers about this.

Is it the end of the world?  No.  Is it an example of poor customer service?  Yes - imo.

So by better advertise you mean putting it on the friggin splash screen that comes up when logging into the game?  You mean like PUT IT RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE?  Oh wait, they did that.  Learn to pay attention and not blame your idiocy on someone else.

If you look at that splash screen as you say, NO where on there does it say that if you don't set up a sub you can NOT play the 30 days you've already paid for.

Originally posted by tkoreaper

To say this is a standard thing isn't true at all. I never had to do this for Rift and what about those people that never give out their CC information online? Surely, they cannot deny them of being able to play simply because they're cautious about their information... hell look at all the personal information that was leaked from Sony's servers. And what about those that buy time cards... do they need to add CC information as well? Imposterous.

If you're that concerned with your CC information, then you shouldn't be playing online games.  Or conducting any business online.  Problem solved.

• GI05GI05 Member Posts: 17
    There's a lot of new people playing MMOs now. This has always been like this, you buy the box with your 30 days, register, subscribe( they don't charge you until your free time is up), cancel subscription and play your free time until it expire. If your a troll you know better.

Edit: you also can set it up with paypal if you don't want to give your CC information.

Originally posted by mykpfsu

If you look at that splash screen as you say, NO where on there does it say that if you don't set up a sub you can NOT play the 30 days you've already paid for.

Last night it was up there.  That the grace period ended and you needed to sub.  So yes they did not technically say you need to sub to continue with your 30 days, just as your doctor never technically told you to breathe, they made the poor assumption that you are actually fluent in the language that you ordered the game in and hence believed that telling people that they need to sub would not be translated as you dont need to sub.

Also you make the arugment you PAID for 30 days free.  Really?  Did you think about this before you typed?  You paid for something free.  That alone should disqualify you from posting.  It CAME with 30 days free, you did not PAY for them.  You're also the type that if they didn't make you sub after 2 days would forget to and then complain about their business practices when they terminated your account because you never subbed.

Lets not forget the reason why it was the second day is because it was the end of the grace period of early access and they wanted to make sure people actually bought the game who were playing it and not simply using pre order codes they had cancelled.

• funkwellfunkwell Member Posts: 15

Hey guys, just wanted to check with anyone else trying to set up a sub. I'm getting the swtor page up now ok but when I click on the link to add my cc it goes to an EA oops page...?

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I agree to some extend. The 30 free days should work like a gamecard (gamekey automatically granting the 30 free days). So that entering other payment information isn't mandatory untill those 30 free days are gone and you want to keep playing.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Way to keep customers.

Lets see...on the box it says..

"Valid credit card or paid game card (if available), internet connection and PAID subscription required to play game."

case closed.