Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst MMO launch ever.

Blatant lies about a grace period. Then suddenly 2 days grace period after consumer organizations where informed.

Staggered early access that did nothing to help with overpopulation or queues

Unfinished game (mobs with no animation, missing voice acting on quests (the much hyped feature)

Ghost town syndrome. Sterile and lifeless environment partly due to heavy instancing (max 100 players per instance)

No advanced graphics features enabled (no high res textures, no AA, Anisotrophy, View distance etc.) 

Only a few street conversations (random NPC chatter) are voiced, the rest is jsut text or missing completely (90% is missing)

Complete stop of sales in Europe even before the game was released (you still can not buy the game in europe from Origin)

Forum and website completely overloaded and shut down when there are patches.

Unable to enter Product Key or subscribe because servers are completely overloaded.

Unable to post on forums for help when you are not subscribed.

The game is still incredibly fun to play though for one playthrough but not worth a monthly subscription.

PS: please do not reply if you have anything else then a valid argument to contribute or counter any of my points. Spare me the usual "But thats how MMO's launch", "there will be a miracle patch" yada yada yada...

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Comments

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231

Tons of people will disagree with you... Way more polished than WoW or Rift was when it Launched.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I disagree. Most mmo's have rough launches. "fan features aside", I wouldn't even call this bumpy.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Yeah this was defo one of the best launches I have experienced.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Smoothest launch i've seen in history of MMOs, every single one of them.

WoW was far, far, far....FAR worse than this (I can log into SWTOR and server doesn't crash hourly for prolonged periods, following a 2 hour queue, which was followed by extreme lag, followed by extended daily maintenance which would last several hours), therefore by that token alone, compared to the most successful MMO of all time, it's a successful launch.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by Zecktorin

Tons of people will disagree with you... Way more polished than WoW or Rift was when it Launched.

Pretty much.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i agree with you i recall when wow lunched it was a nightmare!the web infrastructure alone had just been adapted for eq1.when wow came it was like there was no infrastructure at all .barrier everywhere at l3  gate or other.back then.smaooth game?oh wow was smoother lunched then eq1 but darn did the player catch blizzard up around the bend within a year the network was down to a crawl because nobody in their right mind exepected cloud content to be this popular.blizzard didnt make anything didnt sell anything tangible did sell food or any goods touchable yet they did sell something that you cant touch feel or smell .yep they literally sold air lol!i dont know if this game lunch is smooth since i dont plan on playing it (gw1 style instancing was gool in 2005!)but i doubt ea face many hurdle and if they do v it is of their own making by price cutting where they shouldnt etc!but i bet at the end of the week it will be smooted out .are all the server full and have waiting line or it is like aion at lunch everybody want to be on a star named server

Originally posted by drbaltazar

i agree with you i recall when wow lunched it was a nightmare!the web infrastructure alone had just been adapted for eq1.when wow came it was like there was no infrastructure at all .barrier everywhere at l3  gate or other.back then.smaooth game?oh wow was smoother lunched then eq1 but darn did the player catch blizzard up around the bend within a year the network was down to a crawl because nobody in their right mind exepected cloud content to be this popular.blizzard didnt make anything didnt sell anything tangible did sell food or any goods touchable yet they did sell something that you cant touch feel or smell .yep they literally sold air lol!i dont know if this game lunch is smooth since i dont plan on playing it (gw1 style instancing was gool in 2005!)but i doubt ea face many hurdle and if they do v it is of their own making by price cutting where they shouldnt etc!but i bet at the end of the week it will be smooted out .are all the server full and have waiting line or it is like aion at lunch everybody want to be on a star named server

It took WoW 1 full year and half to reach over 1 million players.....

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by Quesa

Pretty much.

I could excuse the lies, the problems, the queues, the unfunished game.

I have not seen a launch where i was not even able to subscribe to the game at all. That alone counts for the worst launch ever.

Originally posted by taus01

Pretty much.

If i could just subscribe and play. I think not beeing able to even subscribe to the product you bought would count as the worst  launch ever.

I would not even call this a launch because nothing is laucnhing for me right now.

I have not seen a launch where i was not even able to subscribe to the game at all. That alone counts for the worst launch ever.

I have subscribed yesterday and got everything running already, dunno what you are on about.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

The OP is  {mod edit} one of the many to criticise without actually playing the game (maybe one and the same thing).  This was the only MMO that I installed, patched in seconds and played first time, two days before the official launch.

The launch has been quite smooth compared to many MMOs and this alone makes the title of the OP's thread a joke.

Originally posted by rav3n2

Pretty much.

If i could just subscribe and play. I think not beeing able to even subscribe to the product you bought would count as the worst  launch ever.

I would not even call this a launch because nothing is laucnhing for me right now.

I have subscribed yesterday and got everything running already, dunno what you are on about.

Good for you, i got my key today and i can't. Also entirely EA's fault not mine. 

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

it was a good launch because every zone is split into 5 to 10 different instanced versions of the zone..so really you only ever see 20 or so people in your zone at a time. Did i mention cantinas are a total waste of graphics?

Pretty much.

Good for you, i got my key today and i can't. Also entirely EA's fault not mine. 

Would you like some cheese with your whine.... crap happens bro get over it.

Pretty much.

Taus - maybe, as the problem only appears to be happening to you, that you need some training on how to instal a game and use a computer.

Originally posted by mark2123

The OP is {mod edit} one of the many to criticise without actually playing the game (maybe one and the same thing).  This was the only MMO that I installed, patched in seconds and played first time, two days before the official launch.

The launch has been quite smooth compared to many MMOs and this alone makes the title of the OP's thread a joke.

I politely asked to refrain form comments like this. You don't know me at all and i do not appreciate you making assumptions about me or calling me names.

I am level 30 and was in beta for months before the game launched.

Pretty much.

So they got a glitch, I am not sure there was a button "stop ppl subscribing" and they just turned it on and their sysadmin is just laughing out loud in the office right now.

Dont worry they want your money, they must be working to get it up as soon as possible, calling it the worst launch ever cause of that is just petty, sit back, relax and I am sure it will be up fairly soon.

The OP is either a troll or one of the many to criticise without actually playing the game (maybe one and the same thing).  This was the only MMO that I installed, patched in seconds and played first time, two days before the official launch.

I politely asked to refrain form comments like this. You don't know me at all and i do not appreciate you making assumptions about me or calling me names.

I don't do what you tell me, I reply how you deserve to be replied to.  Your post is full of rubbish and few, in fact no-one agrees with you.  Look in the mirror.

Taus - maybe, as the problem only appears to be happening to you, that you need some training on how to instal a game and use a computer.

Try to go to the website and subscribe now. It's down, totally overloaded. I do not appreciate you making assumptions of me on a forum, you don't know me. 

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

• SideTraKdSideTraKd Member Posts: 100

Pretty much.

Would you like some cheese with your whine.... crap happens bro get over it.

It's not just happening to him.  It's happening to everyone who hasn't picked a subscription plan yet, including me.  But him complaining about a web server being slow when it's getting jammed with people trying to do their subs all at once is pretty lame.

The OP is either a troll or one of the many to criticise without actually playing the game (maybe one and the same thing).  This was the only MMO that I installed, patched in seconds and played first time, two days before the official launch.

I don't do what you tell me, I reply how you deserve to be replied to.  Your post is full of rubbish and few, in fact no-one agrees with you.  Look in the mirror.

Please be so kind to point out the "rubbish" with facts. Please do so now. I want to see you counter any of my arguments.

I guess you can't since everythign you post are insults.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

dont rub the bloody nose

swtor.checkout.ea.com is the badass actually

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

one thing is sure it is gona get worst!why?lot of people probably had swtor or will for chrimas it is the game of this holiday!week-end is just around the corner holiday is almost starting ,see the patern here!and if wow is any indication there could be huge amount of player in tor!also dont forget a lot of people will have never played an mmo !how can that be you ask?cause not all sw fan ar pro gamer .alot just fell in love with the sw franchise!server will be full during the holiday season it is expected so deal with it or do like other continue progressing in wow!

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Vegetto

Smoothest launch i've seen in history of MMOs, every single one of them.

WoW was far, far, far....FAR worse than this (I can log into SWTOR and server doesn't crash hourly for prolonged periods, following a 2 hour queue, which was followed by extreme lag, followed by extended daily maintenance which would last several hours), therefore by that token alone, compared to the most successful MMO of all time, it's a successful launch.

Clearly, saying "by that token alone", you obviously mean "by deliberately ignoring every other issue the game has, including those listed by the OP", right?

The OP lists off a series of issues with the game, several of which can not be spun as anything but issues. You proceed to ignore all those issues, or any others that may exist. You conveniently cherry-pick a single area which you feel is going well (and even then, only in comparison to those you feel were worse). You then declare that based on that one area alone - ignoring all others - it's having a successful launch.

Beautiful.

Intellectual dishonesty at its finest, folks.

You realize if we were to use your "method" of rating the launch of a MMO - by basing your entire opinion on a single criteria, and only in comparison to games that did it worse - that pretty much every MMO in existence could be said to have a successful launch?

I mean, in even the worst rolling train-wrecks of MMO launches, you can find something that could be considered well-done or better-than-average, especially when compared to other games that did it worse. 

Of course, we don't do that, because it would be absurd and dishonest.

You know, it is perfectly okay to admit that TOR has issues. Your Fan Card doesn't get revoked for admitting something might be less than perfect. Well, the more overzealous and ridiculously overprotective fans may wish to strip you of it for daring to utter a single negative syllable about it. But then you just consider the source.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

twatter:

#SWTOR Some players may be currently experiencing issues when trying to redeem their game code on the swtor website. More info to follow.

Originally posted by SideTraKd

It's not just happening to him.  It's happening to everyone who hasn't picked a subscription plan yet, including me.  But him complaining about a web server being slow when it's getting jammed with people trying to do their subs all at once is pretty lame.

It's what i expect as customer to be working. Nothing lame about expecting to be able to use the game you payed 50 bucks for. I fail to see the lameness.

They knew this would happen, yet they decided not to give a reasonable grace period. They knew it and did not prepare their webservers. I simply call this negligence.