Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The wannabe SWTOR poll interim score has been tallied

Comments

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

I'd give it about an 80-85 of 100.  Still many things I'd like to see improved, but the overall feel of the game, and most importantly, the "fun-factor," grades out very highly.  And I think with the proper improvements, this game will be in the 90's for me.  

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

7/10. I am having a lot fo fun but it has A LOT of problems. I am a patient man though and i will see how Bioware handles these problems.

Problems include UI, space combat, lack of social features, shallow crafting, balance issues etc. etc.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

6-7 for me if I am being generous.  The game simply feels like a single player or coop game, and not an MMORPG.  The world is sterile and boring, and the combat/gameplay is infantile.  Crafting is almost non-existant and replayability based on re-rolling is a tired excuse for long-term content.  I'm not giving them points for having a "smooth launch" because that should be expected whether or not is it the norm.   My rating is on the gameplay and features.  The VO gives this a boost because if I was rating the game on pure gameplay, it would be more like a 5-6. 

The game is an unashamed WoW-clone that does not make sense for a game marketed to a 2012-2017 gaming community.  Assuming the game stays running for at least five years, does anyone think this game is different and innovative enough to keep people interested until 2017?

My rating has nothing at all to do with the game being a themepark either because I have played much deeper and meaningful themeparks such as LOTRO.  I also believe we are going to see just how unique and interesting themeparks can be with The Secret World next year.  Put simply, this game is stale out of the box, and relies completely on the Star Wars property and VO quests to carry sales.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Gave 61-70, single player story (even though i like it on char im playing) is not enough to compensate missing features . Without SW IP this game wouldn't get amount of box sales it got, nor reviews it is getting - reminds me DA2, critics should stop licking Bioware boots.

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371
    I give it a solid 85. I haven't come across any game breaking issues. Then again I am a SWG vet so I have a high tolerance level! Character creation/customization could be better. Bottom line this game is just fun. Since I am really just a casual player and only play around 10 hours a week or less I can see getting 6-9 months of solid game play from just the release version. Money well spent. And yeah I am a Star Wars fan, so that helps a lot.
  • TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Giving it an 80-81. Solid and polished. Very stale gameplay. A few gems: voice overs and companions. Without the VO and companions I'd give it a 73 or so.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I just cancelled my sub and I'm trying to see if there is a way I can gift my account to someone.  I just cannot justify paying $15/month for a game I feel is a 6-7 *at best*.  I put in several more hours yesterday to see if anything would happen to change my mind, and sadly it's just blah.

A word of warning to anyone who wants to be a healer:  Consular Sage is the most unrewarding healing experience ever put in an MMO.  Run, don't walk, from this class.

EDIT:  When I cancelled I was given the option to post comments.  I tweaked my above comments a bit to make more sense to them, but I wanted them to know why I won't be paying a sub for this game.  I know I am just one person, but I have a feeling some of the comments I left them will be repeated by many others in the coming months.  Maybe they will take some of it to heart. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by adam_nox

-  While it emulates the setting of KOTOR, it lacks the same blueprint on an essential level.  It just doesn't have the magic of that game.  The 'story' feels like typical mmo character progression, and sidequests seem limited and generally uninteresting so far.

Couldn't disagree with this more. It feels very much like KOTOR.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

51 to 60, would also be fair if it gets a 70.

Years due to it being an current gen mmorpg based on design and what not.

2011 - 6/10

2005ish or 6 through 2010 I'd give it a 8/10 It was better than rift IMO.

04 I'd give it a 9.5

Something people should understand that many mmos brought new things but never thought of balancing the new things with basic things wether it be the new gameplay feature balancing with the story or the nice story features balance with the gameplay, this hasn't really happened yet.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

61-70

Graphics are okay for the the artistic style being approached.

Combat mechanics are rather subpar far as I'm concerend.

I did not find the classes very interesting gameplay wise nor do I find them to be real unique in any aspect.

UI is pretty weak.

Mob AI is really weak.

Fantastic job with voice overs.

Story lines are rather interesting. Ability to choose outcomes that affects the story and your character's "side" is rather neat and entertaining.

Overall I wasn't impressed with the game at all. If anything I was pretty disappointed. Certainly not a terrible game but also not a game that really garnered my interest to purchase. I actually got bored with it rather quckly. The game failed to capture my interest or make me feel immersed in the Star Wars universe.

I will say that it could have ben a hell of a lot worse. I mean at least this game isn't an epic travesty like STO was.  However, I expect a hell of a lot more from Bioware than I ever would Cryptic.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

6-7/10.

I really enjoyed it at first during beta, but after 30 levels or so it just lost my interest.

Story is good, but gameplay is too shallow for a new MMO.

Graphics are "acceptable" but not fantastic.

Crafting is too simple for my liking, but the mod system is okay. Customization still lacking.

Companions were surprisingly fun.

Client was mostly stable for me.

But the dealbreaker is the lackluster PvP system (almost non-existent) with a focus on PvP content that is completely seperate from the rest of the game. It is an unforgivable and ultimately why I didn't bother purchasing the game.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

I would say somewhere around a 72.  Not a big fan of the "Clone Wars" art style, doesn't appeal to me.  The barebones character creation is also something that really detracts from the game.  The game does impress with the quality voice acting and main story lines, though the Jedi quest lines are terribly drab (aka. play imperial if you want to have a more enjoyable storyline!).

If you like Star Wars and you enjoyed the previous KOTOR games, give it a shot.  If you are looking for something a little more complex than your standard fare themepark game, or are jaded from the SWG NGE debacle, you might find yourself dissapointed.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    51-60

Game was not shipped complete with even basic features and elements one expects with a AAA title.

It is way to linear, the queues are atrociously(and seemingly for no reason since people are seeing areas devoid of players).

Go look at the official forums and thread after thread you see players making list of complaints. No target of target, chase cam is locked, no high-red graphics, UI uncostimizable,...saw one post where the player listed 14 things and everyone of them are things even non-triple AAA titles ship with.

Bioware, has a lot of work to do, content will be slow coming in the near future because they will be busy fixing their game.

They should atleast, because people will not stay and play a broken game.
  • GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207

Most fun I have had in a themepark mmo in a while.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by eyelolled

Originally posted by AdamTM

why didn't you add the below 30 score?

You do understand that 30 is now 0, so 80 is now around 6 or 5?

Jesus fucking christ. statistical analysis tools 101.

If the game wouldn't play at all, for anybody it would be a 0.  I know the game functions at least to an extent that anything less then a 30 is just a person that can't give an honest unbiased score.

Common sense 101

Yeah exactly.  I don't care how much anyone hates the game...it doesn't deserve < 30%.  No way.

I agree that there's no way the game deserves a score less than 30 (I can tell that even as a spectator), but throwing out those low end numbers simply skews the results in the opposite direction and makes the end product just as dubious in terms of reality.  This is the reason why when I look at Metacritic scores, if I'm interested in the game enough, I'll actually re-total the score after I've thrown out all the 0s and 10s.  It's the only way I know to reduce the fanboy/hater influence.

A simpler poll would probably have given a more accurate result.  Good, Bad or Fair.  That would be the only way to really cut down the irrational responses that are bound be an influence.

If you want to use a 1-10 scale (which is essentially what a percentage system is), you need to include responses from 1 to 10.  But that still doesn't change the fact that an average game these days is considered somewhere around 70, instead of around 50 where it belongs, making any rating system based off it, inherantly flawed.  I realize that dropping those low numbers off the scale has the effect of boosting the average up to where perception generally has it anyway, but it doesn't really make the poll any more valid.

Good, Bad, Fair.  It's hard to monkey with that kind of simplicity.  And really, that's all anyone really is looking for from a review score:  Will I or won't I, like this game?

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

It really depends on your education system outlook. In the American system a "average" grade is C which is 70 - 79%. I rate  ToR higher than "average" therefore I would award the game a 85% or so. 

• GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

People will see how similar it is to other games and how all stories come to an end: i vote about 40-50% will leave the game in a few months.

• OzigoulOzigoul Member Posts: 50

I gave it 30-40 since I agreed with most negative reviews on metacritics.

• select20select20 Member Posts: 130

I'm going to give it a 80-90. Simply because i'm enjoying the game alot. I'm a 5 year WoW vet, and have been playing Eve Online for the past 6 months. There are a few things I don't like, but I haven't enjoyed a MMO like this in a long long time.

"Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it."

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I was just thinking of how to review a MMORPG. MMORPG's are a unique genre, because it's actually two genres packaged together. You have the MMO part of the genre, which is socially related which includes player ran economy, social hubs, and group content; then you have the RPG part of the genre which includes things ranging from character creation and progression, and the intangible feeling of being drawn in.

Either way, a 100 scale is too broad. A smaller scale would work better. Who would really notice a 92% game from an 89% game?

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I'd give it a 5, or a 50 if we're talking about a 100 point scale. I have serious problems with your poll, however, in that if you're going to allow people to vote and score the game to the maximum score of 100, they should be allowed to give an opinion and rating that's below 31. Really, it's hard to even consider this poll credible without the full range of possible scores, and is quite obviously biased (from my perspective).

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

I didn't vote, I only played in beta. I actually quit playing in the closed beta after a month or so, it got boring. My take (from the beta only) was of a great single-player game. MMO? not so much.

I'll play it, later, I guess. It is hard to pay a monthly fee for a single-player game, and Skyrim is a bunch of fun ....

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Out of 0 to 100, what overall score would you give SWTOR.

30 or lower isn't where I would put my vote, but since you asked for 0-100, it's silly to put 31 at lowest possible vote.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Netspook

30 or lower isn't where I would put my vote, but since you asked for 0-100, it's silly to put 31 at lowest possible vote.

I'm amazed at the responses by people wanting a lower score then 30. This is my logic.

Can you install the game?  Yes

Can you connect to the server? Yes

Can you log in? Yes

Can you make a character? Yes

Can you enter the game world and kill something? Yes

Those factors alone equate a score of at least 30. The game is running so if you want to give the game a lower then 30 score, you're just being overly bias. Sorry my poll didn't include your sentiment. Luckily enough, this isn't an official poll.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Netspook

I'm amazed at the responses by people wanting a lower score then 30. This is my logic.

Can you install the game?  Yes

Can you connect to the server? Yes

Can you log in? Yes

Can you make a character? Yes

Can you enter the game world and kill something? Yes

Those factors alone equate a score of at least 30. The game is running so if you want to give the game a lower then 30 score, you're just being overly bias. Sorry my poll didn't include your sentiment. Luckily enough, this isn't an official poll.

You asked us to rate the game, then you won't allow us to use the range you put up yourself. You included 0 as a possible score in the line I quoted, then deny us to go below 31. And now you post a list of why it shouldn't be rated below 30.

You are arguing against your own question.