Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare: SWTOR could've been a Game of Thrones MMO (Massively)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/21/bioware-swtor-couldve-been-a-game-of-thrones-mmo/

"The Force may be with BioWare, but it might interest you to know that the Canadian RPG giant wasn't married to the Star Wars IP when it began discussing its initial foray into the MMO space. According to an article at PC Gamer, everything from the Lord of the Rings, to the Dark Tower, to A Song of Ice and Fire was on the table when the team began drawing up its design documents."

Really?  I think anyone could have guessed which IP the people at EA would have pounced on like a ravenous, starving hyena if they were given the choice.

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

With the way they went I'm glad they didn't go with A Song of Ice and Fire.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

A shallow WoW clone themepark of the Game of Thrones masterpiece?! I think Im going to be sick... image

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120

I would game it.

Im also gonna try Titan

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I like Bioware and i like SWTOR

BUT A Song of Fire and Ice not being a sandbox would be an absolute tragedy

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Xzen

You think BigPoint is going to do a better job?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Nethermancer

Exactly. SWTOR is good for what it is. But an MMORPG in the Game of Thrones setting would have to be a very well done sandbox to do it justice.

Originally posted by lizardbones

You think BigPoint is going to do a better job?

No. I'll have to wait and get more info. If it looks like it'll bad i'll pray to R'hllor the game never sees the light of day.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Shew, abortion averted.

Star Wars can recover from crappy lore and media.

A Song of Fire and Ice still needs to grow a little before we have the nerd descend on George Martin and have him wait even longer to craft his tales.

EA can only ruin so many things in one year.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by Nethermancer

Exactly. SWTOR is good for what it is. But an MMORPG in the Game of Thrones setting would have to be a very well done sandbox to do it justice.

Unfortunately, decent IP's cost big bucks and sandbox titles no longer generate appealing revenues for the companies that can afford to aquire IP's like A Song of Fire and Ice. 

SWG was the last of that breed my friends. 

• SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226

Game of Thrones is being destoyed already by RR Martin and a bad ip making a mmo based off it would just be the fork in that overcooked pig.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I'm just reading the first book, and I say, "Amen!" to this.  Wonder what they would've done to twist and completely alter the IP for mass appeal?  Well, magic for starters, i.e. LOTRO.  Should I go on? image

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)