Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So where's the crowd ?

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Originally posted by tkoreaper

Did you forget that you're really just playing a single player game along side a lot fo people?

Doea it matter.  Are you having fun?  If not, it doesn't really matter if it is single or MMO.  If you do enjoy  it, it doesn't really matter if its an MMO or single.

Point is, do you enjoy it.  Forget all the labels, sandbox, themepark, hybrid, FPS based MMO, etc, etc.  

If you are paying a monthly fee and are required to be connected to a server, with queus and all, it kinda does matter.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by tom_gore

This is what the MMOs have come to. You can quote me if you want.

People want to play their game without being bothered by the other players in the game.

It just shows that Bioware does not like mmos, never wanted to make one and was persuaded to make their next KOTOR game into a mmo just in order to get at those juicy subs.

From all that game offers it is becoming blindingly obvious that Bioware just tacked on a bare minimum of features to be able to call it a mmo with a straight face while they would have been much happier to be making a single-player game, something which they understand and are good at.

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

Originally posted by Yamota

Did you forget that you're really just playing a single player game along side a lot fo people?
    Doea it matter.  Are you having fun?  If not, it doesn't really matter if it is single or MMO.  If you do enjoy  it, it doesn't really matter if its an MMO or single.

Point is, do you enjoy it.  Forget all the labels, sandbox, themepark, hybrid, FPS based MMO, etc, etc.  

If you are paying a monthly fee and are required to be connected to a server, with queus and all, it kinda does matter.

Failing to see your point if someone is having fun and is willing to pay for the product? No one is going to pay the monthly fee if they feel its not worth it. So again I fail to see your point...

imageimage

• GudrunixGudrunix Member Posts: 149

I for one enjoy the feeling of a well-populated world, so this is kind of a game-breaker for me on SW:TOR.  I understand why they went this route, but I don't like it and I am therefore disinclined to pick up the game.

The "crowded social hubs, sparsely populated adventuring areas" can be easily accomplished by having a few social hubs but a vast open world area.  World of Warcraft achieved that easily with its massive open world combined with a few social/travel hubs (its main problem was that it had only one social hub during the Burning Crusade years, and only one social hub during the Lick King years - but that could have been easily fixed by adding secondary social hubs).

Unfortunately, it seems that many designers of the current MMOs are edging away from open worlds, and are preferring worlds that consist of smaller zones instead.  That risks crowding, hence the instancing.  I suspect all of that is related to performance - their engines have lousy performance, so they can't handle either large open worlds or crowding.

I don't like it, but the only way I can provide feedback is by voting with my dollars, which I am happy to do.

Originally posted by Lambon23

Completely asinine. They are hosting single player games on their own servers so that we have to pay them monthly fees. 

Hard to disagree with that.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by Sasami

Originally posted by Gylfi

Originally posted by nyxium

TOR has phased instancing to handle crowds in a zone.

why would you not like crowds? Obviously i chose to play an MMO because i like feeling among a cosmos of lives.

Try do killing quests when hundred people are doing it same time. I think TOR is big step towards player friendliness. Besides chat is same for all instances. Besides who the hell wants crowds, we don't live in cities because we want to travel in crowds. Crowds are just negative aspect of living in same place.

Dude,I don't want to chat with you,if i wanted that i would have asked your MSN  or skype or whatever else.I want to see you running around firing your super giga extra cool blaster,i want to see you slashing through mobs with your mesmerizing lightsabre.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It's not a single player game. It's not even a co-op rpg game. It's an mmorpg. There are a massive number of people playing. That's where the servers and the queues come from.

Bioware wasn't forced into making an mmorpg from KotOR, they made a game that caters to the majority of people who would be playing the game. If you don't like it, don't play it. That doesn't make it any less of an mmorpg.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

The crowds are all over the place. Every zone I have been in outside of the newbie zones has been completely jam-packed with players. Not sure what you're complaining about...

As for the instancing everyone loves to hate, Bioware's devs have mentioned repeatedly that this is primarily used in the newbie zones in order to make it so it isn't too crowded for players in those areas. When you get further in the game and the population is more spread out, you find that the zones don't have multiple instances. Not that this little fact matters to the game's detractors. Anything to cast a negative light on it right? Too bad so many of us are having fun... that must really grind your gears.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by lizardbones

It's not a single player game. It's not even a co-op rpg game. It's an mmorpg. There are a massive number of people playing. That's where the servers and the queues come from.

Bioware wasn't forced into making an mmorpg from KotOR, they made a game that caters to the majority of people who would be playing the game. If you don't like it, don't play it. That doesn't make it any less of an mmorpg.

your comment doesn't make it much of an mmorpg either.

• TJixleeTJixlee Member Posts: 159

how can a game be massive without that feel of crowd from around the world?

oh yeah i forgot, you don't get to play with the world, just with america... and not whole america, just the west... and not the whole west, just north-west of it.

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant begin to say how much i hated WoW for putting spanish speakers in english random dungeons! so irritating not being able to communicate with someone! i hope this is soemthing they dont change i dont wanna play with the world, only the USA. i like talking to like minded individuals that understand the same language!

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by TJixlee

oh yeah i forgot, you don't get to play with the world, just with america... and not whole america, just the west... and not the whole west, just north-west of it.

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant begin to say how much i hated WoW for putting spanish speakers in english random dungeons!

thats a serious lolbox favorite ...

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

I prefer SWToR's method. I don't want an extra 6 people running up to kill the same stuff I'm killing and it has nothing to do with XP or loot. I would rather see crowded cities and sparsely populated adventure areas. Seeing someone out in the world should be a rare treat, not a common occurrence.

/facepalm

You realize it's supposed to be MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game right? Seeing lots of other players out in the adventuring areas is supposed to be the norm, not a rare treat.

Have you even played an MMO before SWTOR?

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Originally posted by TJixlee

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant begin to say how much i hated WoW for putting spanish speakers in english random dungeons! so irritating not being able to communicate with someone! i hope this is soemthing they dont change i dont wanna play with the world, only the USA. i like talking to like minded individuals that understand the same language!

Yes because speaking the same language is a gurantee that you are like minded.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by fundayz

/facepalm

You realize it's supposed to be MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game right? Seeing lots of other players out in the adventuring areas is supposed to be the norm, not a rare treat.

Did you? I'm just sayin'... Certain areas have many players in MMO's, out in the world not so much. When I was out adventuring in DAOC I didn't see a player every few feet, I'd typically only see them if I was PVPing or running a dungeon. With SWG I'd see many at hubs such as C-net, yet drive 5 mins away not a soul to be found. That's what i prefer. WHat I can't stand is F2P's or asian MMO's where no matter where you go it's swamped with names.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

im running into ploayers everywhere, i cant get away from other players except when i go into my personal story areas.  Thats a good thing, 

i dont understand how anyone can say otherwise, with cues a mile long on most servers. It makes u wonder if they even played this game at all, 

Sure day 1 of early access was diffrent i didnt see alot of other players but since then as they added more and more people i cant get away from them

I dont want ot get away from tehm its not what im saying , im just saying anyone saying there isnt anyone on these worlds is nuts, 

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Are you kidding me? No SWTOR is not a single player game there are flashpoints and quest that you CAN NOT do alone. I know this game will not be for everyone but for me, at this moment, it rocks. You will have the hatters and the fanboys posting all over for the next few years so just deal with that. As long as there is enough at end game I'll be playing SWTOR for a long time. I'm 6 or 7 years on wow, did aoc, war, rift (best of the group) and just about any other mmo that has came out just trying to stop playing wow. I'm happy to say that I have now deleted wow from my computer and I'm happy :)

Originally posted by fundayz

I prefer SWToR's method. I don't want an extra 6 people running up to kill the same stuff I'm killing and it has nothing to do with XP or loot. I would rather see crowded cities and sparsely populated adventure areas. Seeing someone out in the world should be a rare treat, not a common occurrence.

/facepalm

Why should I be seeing lots of other players out there in the adventure areas? "Because it's an mmorpg" is not an acceptable answer. It should make sense for the game itself, not just to satisfy an arbitrary definition.

I would rather have the experience of fewer people in adventure areas and more people in social areas. I like it. That's more how the world works and it's far less annoying than having tons of people around me in the adventure areas and a few people in the social areas.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Originally posted by rawfox

One of these Ms in MMOs points us to massive.

By massive, it is meant as a massive amount of players.

So where are you all ?

Where is the massive populated launch festivities in all the cantinas over the universe ?

We have confirmed millions of players, we have FULL servers but when you join in, you barely see more then 5 players at one place.

So, where is the crowd ?

The truth is they are all in my pants.

True story

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I'm not sure if any one is taking into account the sheer size of the worlds. They may be linear but there is quite a bit of square footage and having a couple hundred people spread out on a planet will thin out the crowd quite a bit.

Taris (which isn't even one of the bigger planets) had 100+ people on it and no instances and yet there were no crowds anywhere. I think this is just a testament to the scale of the worlds.

Originally posted by Ethian

Originally posted by rawfox
    One of these Ms in MMOs points us to massive.
    By massive, it is meant as a massive amount of players.
    So where are you all ?
    Where is the massive populated launch festivities in all the cantinas over the universe ?
    We have confirmed millions of players, we have FULL servers but when you join in, you barely see more then 5 players at one place.

So, where is the crowd ?
    The truth is they are all in my pants.

True story

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Sasami

Originally posted by nyxium

TOR has phased instancing to handle crowds in a zone.

why would you not like crowds? Obviously i chose to play an MMO because i like feeling among a cosmos of lives.

Try do killing quests when hundred people are doing it same time. I think TOR is big step towards player friendliness. Besides chat is same for all instances. Besides who the hell wants crowds, we don't live in cities because we want to travel in crowds. Crowds are just negative aspect of living in same place.

I've experienced to overcrowding in every newly launched MMO I played, then again, those were actual MMO's. When Massively turns into  Maximum 100 participants you've found TOR.

imageimage
  • Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

People want to play their game without being bothered by the other players in the game.

It just shows that Bioware does not like mmos, never wanted to make one and was persuaded to make their next KOTOR game into a mmo just in order to get at those juicy subs.

From all that game offers it is becoming blindingly obvious that Bioware just tacked on a bare minimum of features to be able to call it a mmo with a straight face while they would have been much happier to be making a single-player game, something which they understand and are good at.

This.

A friend showed me 30 minutes of TOR. Its not an MMO. Its multiplayer, but not an MMO.

"People want to play their game without being bothered by the other players in the game."

Lolololol. Are we in the twilight zone here?

The mentality has degenerated into complete insanity. I dont recognize MMOs anymore. People want to play their game without being bothered by other players in the game? Are you serious? Then why play multiplayer?

Unbelievable. This is insanity.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Those of you who have no desire to play a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game need to go buy Skyrim or some other single player game and stop tainting this genre.

This genre is supposed to be about playing with thousands of other players on the same server/shard.  If the game's design or engine fail to take this into consideration, then it is a failure on the developer's part.  Instancing the hell out of zones because you create such a tiny gameplay areas is pathetic.

One of the most thrilling things about a game launch are the crowds of people.  It's exciting and social.  This was the most boring MMO launch of all time, IMO. That boredom continues as you play through the game and only see a handfull of other players here and there. 

It makes me cringe when I see comments here from people who are completely ok with never seeing another player unless they have to group up for an instance.  This is what MMORPGs have come to.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Those of you who have no desire to plan a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game need to go buy Skyrim or some other single player game and stop tainting this genre.This genre is supposed to be about playing with thousands of other players on the same server/shard.  If the game's design or engine fail to take this into consideration, then it is a failure on the developer's part.  Instancing the hell out of zones because you create such a tiny gameplay areas is pathetic.One of the most thrilling things about a game launch are the crowds of people.  It's exciting and social.  This was the most boring MMO launch of all time, IMO. That boredom continues as you play through the game and only see a handfull of other players here and there. It makes me cringe when I see comments here from people who are completely ok with never seeing another player unless they have to group up for an instance.  This is what MMORPGs have come to.

Too late. Bioware has already figured out there are tons of people who want a game that hundreds of thousands of people are playing, just not on top of each other.

• GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207

Originally posted by Ghost12

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

This.

A friend showed me 30 minutes of TOR. Its not an MMO. Its multiplayer, but not an MMO.

"People want to play their game without being bothered by the other players in the game."

Lolololol. Are we in the twilight zone here?

I have to disagree with the terms use here and saying it is not a MMO. It is a MMO, but they did cater to the single player role a bit too. But those players will still need to interact with other players if they want to run the flashpoints etc. 

So I think TOR is an MMO that happens to have other aspects of a single player game built into it. I have to say this is the first time I have paid attention to the story in a MMO. but lets face it this is what US themepark MMO games have become...... I like to jump into these style of games from time to time. But the sandbox games always call me back.

my 2 cents.

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Those of you who have no desire to plan a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game need to go buy Skyrim or some other single player game and stop tainting this genre.

This genre is supposed to be about playing with thousands of other players on the same server/shard.  If the game's design or engine fail to take this into consideration, then it is a failure on the developer's part.  Instancing the hell out of zones because you create such a tiny gameplay areas is pathetic.

One of the most thrilling things about a game launch are the crowds of people.  It's exciting and social.  This was the most boring MMO launch of all time, IMO. That boredom continues as you play through the game and only see a handfull of other players here and there. 

It makes me cringe when I see comments here from people who are completely ok with never seeing another player unless they have to group up for an instance.  This is what MMORPGs have come to.

Too late. Bioware has already figured out there are tons of people who want a game that hundreds of thousands of people are playing, just not on top of each other.

Um, that fact is nothing new. Right now its 2011 (2012 soon) Its pretty old news.

Heres a little history lesson for you guys:

A little while ago, Blizzard released a game called "Diablo II." In Diablo II, players could go online, and play with each other.

When they logged on, they all sat in a general room on their server, and waited to go on quests with one another. They could speak to each other in the lobby, but did not have to deal directly with other people.

When the quest started, their avatars got transported to the playing field in which they conducted their adventures.

When the adventure ended, they all went back to a general room, or lobby,

Hum. So I guess it isnt so new, after all.