Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This or EVE?

2»

Comments

• Bruticus001Bruticus001 Member Posts: 7

@Gdemami

I do realise I might be considered a biittervet since the recent happenings. I am posting the stuff because they've either had it happen to me or saw it happen while traveling.

If you want to correct any misconceptions do focus it on the new player and not a former player.

As I said earlier cite examples that provide an alternative to mine (a Different POV, Naturally it should be able to be researched for the newbie :) ) so that the new player can judge for himself if he want to play or not.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Bruticus001

If you want to correct any misconceptions do focus it on the new player and not a former player.

Whether you claim yourself a vet or new player has no bearing on (in)validity of your statement.

There is not much I can add apart from reminding a saying that goes around EVE:

If you lose a ship, it is 100% your fault.

Smart ones will figure...

• Bruticus001Bruticus001 Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Gdemami

There is not much I can add apart from reminding a saying that goes around EVE:

If you lose a ship, it is 100% your fault.

Smart ones will figure...

That much is true, but for the newbie they must know the cardinal rule in Eve

In Eve: Trust No One

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i would say that, if you have a high SP eve character, stay on eve, but if you don't, then try the trials of both and play whichever one you like the best!

and, just because i have to say something when i see it, don't be afraid of being griefed in eve.  you can play for years and never get griefed.  (of course if you go looking for trouble, you can find it in your first 10 minutes if you're so inclined)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Bruticus001

The more I read what you write, the more I think you haven't passed beyond the trial in EVE. Your information is inaccurate and you're misleaded.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I play EVE so I'm probably more biased toward it, but I have tried PO and it just never drew me in like EVE.

In terms of fun, I find flying in space much more enjoyable and different than the other 99.9% of the MMOs on the market that involve around walking/running on a planet. I'm not a huge Mech fan so that probably doesn't help.

EVE has been around for many more years and has a much larger dev team so naturally they have much more stuff to do.

As far as the playerbase goes, I would bet that Jita alone has a higher population than all of PO. Small populations do not make a bad game though, it is just more noticeable during slow periods.

PO is very similar to EVE in some ways so the learning curve is similar at times. As mentioned earlier, EVE has been around a lot longer and has many more things to do than PO so there is much more to learn in EVE and a lot more people who have been playing EVE for years who sometimes forget that they were noobs once.

As witnessed in this thread, some people will try to scare you aware from EVE by making it sound much less forgiving than it is. The truth is, every MMO has some form of griefing in it and some way to avoid it. If you ignore all the indicators around you and try to play EVE like no one else can have an impact on your game play then you will be in for a rude awakening, but if you pay even a small amount of attention to what is happening around you, most bad situations can be avoided.

Both games offer a free trial so there really is no reason not to try both.

• MatrixcvdMatrixcvd Member Posts: 3

Old eve player (biomassed my guy in 2009)/forumwarrior here.

For the PO/Eve players, my biggest complaint about EVE is everyone is a giant puss, and afraid to fight cause it hurts too much.  So you get this constant lopsided gank-fights, blobs, or just have to sit around waiting for enough people to log in to do anything in nulsec. Similar in PO?

Here is a a mechanics question, my second biggest complaint and constant suggestion to the eve community was the ability for large groups of players ( when they aren't lagged to frack) was having dozens of people lock onto a single target.  I always enivsioned a dice roll for multiple target aquisitions to help mitigate insta-pops followed up by a skill tree etc, so that if say 15 people locked you only 3-4 would get it on the first try.  ANything like this in PO? 

• GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207

Originally posted by Matrixcvd

Old eve player (biomassed my guy in 2009)/forumwarrior here.

For the PO/Eve players, my biggest complaint about EVE is everyone is a giant puss, and afraid to fight cause it hurts too much.  So you get this constant lopsided gank-fights, blobs, or just have to sit around waiting for enough people to log in to do anything in nulsec. Similar in PO?

Here is a a mechanics question, my second biggest complaint and constant suggestion to the eve community was the ability for large groups of players ( when they aren't lagged to frack) was having dozens of people lock onto a single target.  I always enivsioned a dice roll for multiple target aquisitions to help mitigate insta-pops followed up by a skill tree etc, so that if say 15 people locked you only 3-4 would get it on the first try.  ANything like this in PO? 

No there isn't anything in PO that specific a long the lines of combating insta pop. But the game does have mechanics in place  that make locking a bit longer time wise etc for those that are blobbed or stacked up.

The game tries to break the blob up a bit. Not saying it does break the blob up totally. Also there is explosion damage from bots and mechs blowing up around you. This also encurages the blob to spread out.

I hope this helps you out a bit.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

From what Eve vets have described to me in game. Perp has far more entertaining mining and combat mechanincs, and the distinct advantage that the game is new, meaning that there isnt hundreds of thousands of other players so far ahead of you in terms of bank and skill ect.

So also like being a part of and watching a game develop.

Downside of Perp compared to eve is that the community is TINY, theres not a ton of life markets are not a viable source of income, and other low player base related issues.

Its a shame more people dont activly play this game.

Oh, and for the blob pvp mechanics, theres a few built in remedies to that.  First is terrain and cover, meaning the blob will need a clear shot..if everyone goes missle launcher wich bypasses LOS issues there are builds to defend well against those attacks.  Theres a lot of CC related mechanics which involve resetting enemy target locks forcing them to re-target ect.

and my favorite

aoe death explosions.

kill one guy in that "blob" of robots and watch the domino effect happen.  One robot blows up killing a nearby wounded robot causing it to blow up, both explosions kill a nearby half health robot, the combined 3 explosions blow up the next 10 robots at 75% health and the combined explosion damage now kill anyone who isnt 100% and heavy armor ect.

Being in a blob is very dangerous in this game.

Really the only huge downside is population, which seems to be an issue only more people can fix. Frim what i hear its a far better game at its core than eve is

• ENTR0PYENTR0PY Member UncommonPosts: 62

Originally posted by Drezlord

EVE is a game about exploitation. PVP is present in Every facet of the game whether you like it, or welcome it, or not. Want to run missions is an area not designated for pvp? Someone can scan you down and come take your loot and your items from your wrecks. Want to mine ore? Use a can and someone can steal its contents and wait for you to engage them with 3 or 4 buddies cloaked and boom or get suicide ganked and your new expensive ore ship you have been saving to get is gone.

Piss someone off in local or win a pvp duel you shouldnt have? Player can wardec your corp for 25 mil and shoot you on sight for a week making no areas of space safe to go do your own thing.

If you like having to include some other player in every facet of your game experience quite forcibly then EVE has been around for alot longer and has a larger player base thus it has loads more content. Perpetuum has content that the solo player can enjoy without other player interference. Perp is very similar in gamestyle with a few different options in the control of your char. In EVE you right click a object and have to select warp to or increase the cruising speed and you will slowly move to it. In Perp its the WSAD controls or many mmos.

They are both sandbox MMO's so yes you have to interact with other players for nearly everything but in Perp you get to choose the terms and limits of that interaction and not the other player.

Agreed. EVE Online is a griefers paradise. Killing noobs and getting people to rage and quit is the name of the game. If you are into being a sociopath EVE is for you.

• MatrixcvdMatrixcvd Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Crunchy221

aoe death explosions.

kill one guy in that "blob" of robots and watch the domino effect happen.  One robot blows up killing a nearby wounded robot causing it to blow up, both explosions kill a nearby half health robot, the combined 3 explosions blow up the next 10 robots at 75% health and the combined explosion damage now kill anyone who isnt 100% and heavy armor ect.

That is exactly what eve needed years ago, i tried to get into PO last year but it wouldnt take CCs or i couldnt get past the loading screen or something, probably will check it out now. 

• GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207

Originally posted by Matrixcvd

Originally posted by Crunchy221

aoe death explosions.

That is exactly what eve needed years ago, i tried to get into PO last year but it wouldnt take CCs or i couldnt get past the loading screen or something, probably will check it out now. 

They take CCs now. Not sure about loading screen issue....

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by Lashley

In terms of fun, stuff to do, playerbase & learning curve?

Both games are essentially the same.  The best way to compare the two is to think of Perpetuum as an Eve Online - light.  Both games have their a$$ holes as well as their helpful communities.

Eve Online is far more polished and I've lately been very impressed with their development change.

One thing to remember, neither game can be appropriately sampled in a trial.  You really will need 6 months to make an informed evaluation.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • b.alexb.alex Member Posts: 47

played both, was in both of their cbt. In both cases, unless you have a lot of time on your hands and your head up your ass, dont bother with either.

I'd say perpetuum has much better "pick up and play" ability, and a much more interesting environment, if you're into that kind of thing.

I'd say EVE has a much better established player-run society/economy. Perpetuum needs more time and honestly more players before that becomes interesting.

Gameplay mechanics wise, they are pretty much the same.

Generally though, unless you have no idea what the difference is between a video game and real life, you wont find either game much fun for more than 1 month. The people I know who love perpetuum/eve severely confuse the two, and think that the things that happen in the game are actually epic, and that other players posses actual true power, and actually believe their leaders could run real countries etc. So, like I said, you got to have your head up your ass to fall for those games the way they were intending you to.

bdot

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

Well, like already mentioned, both have trials and that's the only sure way to see which one you prefer. Personally, although I prefer EVE's aesthetics (ships are much cooler than the insectoid robots in PO), I actually enjoy playing Perpetuum more. Specifically, I prefer PO's WASD movement over terrain to EVE's point and click movement. I also like the line-of-sight component in battles, and the effect this has on weapon selection and kiting.

Another feature I love in Perpetuum, already touched on by others, is the anti-blob mechanic. Not only does the terrain and huge AOE explosion damage reduce the affectivenes of blob-combat, but there is also an "interference" mechanic that essentially reduces your stats when you are closely surrounded by other players.

Also, in Perpetuum, your skill points accumulate as long as you are subscribed, even when logged off. You can then spend them any way you like once you are logged in, no worrying about qeues and losing valuable training time if you don't manage to log for a while.

• DresbainDresbain Member UncommonPosts: 40

Internet robots win over internet ships imo. But like everyone has said, give the trial a shot. You can do just about everything in game on a trial account so you can get a good feeling about the game. It's only $10 a month with no upfront purchase.... it's definately worth your time!

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Especially with the upcomming changes Perpentuum Terra forming

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319
    Well I would say go for Perpetuum if you wanna be able to compete. EVE been out for 9 years now, and new players have a steep hill to climb to get to where they have to be to really make a mark in the EVE universe. Perpetuum is only a year old and there are plenty of oppurtunity for new players to "catch up", especially now that alot of vets have taken a brake til PBS comes out. EVE is the better game over all, even though I think the PVP in Perpetuum is more fun then in EVE. But other then that EVE have 8 more years in development then Perpetuum, but the future for both games look good, and Perpetuum is still very new and will be nice to see where it will go. PBS looks really promising with the new graphics etc as well.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i highly suggest trying both free trials.

you will see the resemblence very quickly. however, they have different feels. EvE is a lot bigger, more polished, more populated , but of course it's been out for a long time and you have a LOOOOONNNNNGGG way to play catch up to vets if you really want to be powerful.

perpetuum feels a lot like the smaller cusin of EvE. it actually feels as if Perpetuum was the "on planet" gameplay EvE is missing. however it does feel smaller and simpler.

PS: one thing i couldnt stand in Perpetuum is how robots can't walk over a certain angle of incline. it feels too much like invisible walls on every hill. i would have much rather robots tumbling/sliding down and taking damage instead of those invisible walls. also i think robots should have skills that let you climb either vegetation or structures. it would add a lot to combat imo. be able to borrow into the ground should also be a skill of "rogue" robots.

• friendfacefriendface Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Jakdstripper PS: one thing i couldnt stand in Perpetuum is how robots can't walk over a certain angle of incline. it feels too much like invisible walls on every hill. i would have much rather robots tumbling/sliding down and taking damage instead of those invisible walls. also i think robots should have skills that let you climb either vegetation or structures. it would add a lot to combat imo. be able to borrow into the ground should also be a skill of "rogue" robots.

Press "L" and you can see the impassable parts of the terrain mapped over the ground. Also different bots have different amounts of slope they can handle aka the small lights can go places big mechs can't. Ground burrowing would be cool but people just safe logout (2 minutes on a pvp island to finish) now as it is. Even more so with these probes and whatnot.

• ExolisExolis Member Posts: 3

Been playing EvE for a long time, I might be a bitter vet, but Perp is a nice fresh game with a lot of fixes EvE fails to have because CCP can't impliment simple features that would fit a lot more people.

1. Miners and PvErs with expensive fits can not get ganked in Alpha Islands(High Sec)

2. No egotistical alliance leaders to deal with their BS.

3. WASD keys > Warp

4. With Perp's smaller population, it's easier to benefit and make money in the game.

5. Assholes in Perp don't compare to the assholes in EvE, in terms of griefing, scamming and overall trolling.

6. I like the process of Industry a lot more then EvE

7. No AFK Cloaky tards.

8. No Local Chat; can't see whos on your island in Beta and Gamma.

9. Perp is cheaper.