Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So who likes the space game?

TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I for one actually like the space game so far.  It's a nice change up from the ground game and there is good money and xp to be had.  It is also very cinematic and there is a rhythm to it.  My only concerns are in difficulty.  Right now at level 23 I'm having fun, but I can picture them upping the difficulty later and then I won't be able to keep up :(

The furnishing aboard my sith ship are nice; no need to decorate.  It would be nice if the ship was more interactable.  It would be nice if you got trophies on your travels and you could display them in your ship.  Maybe this is why I need a house somewhere, but then I'm always traveling, so who would watch the house while I'm out.

Comments

• face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

It's a nice little escape and pretty fun. The couple times I've played it reminded me of old arcade games.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

I did space combat for 3 hours last night. I must be crazy :) 

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

there is a lot in the spacegame that i dislike, but under the line, i like it.

i like the arcarde feeling, reminds me on that galaga box at our local train station ruffly 30 years ago ^^

lets see what they have in charge for the coming space fights.

let them put away the rails would be a start, some smoother ship move animations wont hurt either.

• MyGaronaMyGarona Member Posts: 139
    Short, simple and sweet - blow stuff up. The rewards are great and it gives Cybertechs something more to do. Provided you don't compare it to JTL and take it for what it is it's very enjoyable.
  • Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

When I first tried it, I hated it, particularly because I'm not a "fast-twitch" type of player.  I just don't have the quick hand/eye coordination for that type of play, which is also why I suck at first-person shooters.  I also don't like the idea of railed combat, although I did really like the graphics and visual look. 

However, once I played it a bit and took into account what the space combat in this game really is (a nice diversion from the quest grind and an alternative way of grabbing a level's worth of XP in a short amount of time), I came to appreciate it more.  Also, splurging on ship upgrades made a huge difference for me in terms of being able to complete the missions.

As far as MMO minigames go, this is actually better than most of them.  A nice diversion.  I'm eager to see how BW expands it in the future.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

As a mini game: great fun.

If we could have played this on eighties arcades we would have been all over it. ^_^

As an implementation of SW's space aspect? Not open, free, rich and diverse enough. But I am happy that they admitted that and are working on something much "bigger".

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

As a general diversion:  The space game is fine.  Kind of like "The Lost Viking" mini-game space shooter in SC2.

As an MMORPG feature:  The space game is abysmal.  MMORPGs (sandboxes AND themeparks) are supposed to be about exploring a shared persistent world.  Taking one of the most iconic aspects of Star Wars and turning into a Star Fox minigame is kind of ridiculous.  I would have much preferred that BW just didn't do the space game and focused on getting other things right like actually showing a scoreboard in PvP.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

At first I thought it was pretty awful, but I've done a couple of more space missions (mainly to finish off a level) and now I think it's not too bad. Sure, it's shallow and lacking in many way, but it's not bad for a change of pace. It's just a (very) mini-game that's fun for a few minutes.

It would be nice to see a more expanded space game but it'd be nice to own a chalet in the French Alps too. One day, maybe, but I can enjoy things for what they are.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Im big star fox fan if that means anything.

All I really felt with the space though was when would it be over, but it was nice to look at even if it feels like your not actually controlling much of whats going on.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Fun mini game but i am sure it will get boring fast.

I dont like how my spaceship feels like a toy, i hate the little things my character says during it....i woudl rather have much better sound fx. I also would love them to make fly through an astroid belt epic instead of how it feels now.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Alot of fun, and with alot planned for it alot more fun down the road.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

The fact that people are accepting of a space rail system for a Star Wars game just blows my mind. From Star Fox to Star Wars, unreal...

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

It is an insult, plain and simple.

Originally posted by Zekiah

The fact that people are accepting of a space rail system for a Star Wars game just blows my mind. From Star Fox to Star Wars, unreal...

Well, it could be worse.  At least they gave us some form of space combat at launch, with the ability to expand it in future updates. 

As opposed to another Star Wars game I know, which had no space combat system at all implemented at launch.  Can't remember the exact name of the game, though...

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

TOR has a space game? It can not be so!!

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

Love the space combat,  it is simple they said they would add more mini-games. And it just feel different from questing without having to leave the game

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Well, it could be worse.  At least they gave us some form of space combat at launch, with the ability to expand it in future updates. 

As opposed to another Star Wars game I know, which had no space combat system at all implemented at launch.  Can't remember the exact name of the game, though...

On the other hand that other games space was superior even if we had to wait for it.

• cdesteycdestey Member Posts: 70

I haven't played it yet, but the video I've seen beats the hell out of JTL. Obviously it's more arcade game than simulation (and by more I mean 100%), but JTL was unbearably boring.

• AndyPrestonAndyPreston Member Posts: 63

The space game is as pointlessly linear as the main game. Space combat?? Your ship gets flown for you round and round while you shoot at targets like an arcade game. What a joke.

Originally posted by Lowcaian

On the other hand that other games space was superior even if we had to wait for it.

And if you want to wait for a superior space combat game in TOR, you can as well.  There's no written rule that says they won't expand the space combat.  In fact, they've already said they are looking at free-form combat in the future.  

So, until then, at least we've got some form of space combat in a space MMO.  

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by AndyPreston

The space game is as pointlessly linear as the main game. Space combat?? Your ship gets flown for you round and round while you shoot at targets like an arcade game. What a joke.

Watching video of the "space combat" is just painful. Just painful. As a previous poster said, it's insulting really. How any Star Wars fan can even attempt to justify that is beyond me.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by Lowcaian

And if you want to wait for a superior space combat game in TOR, you can as well.  There's no written rule that says they won't expand the space combat.  In fact, they've already said they are looking at free-form combat in the future.  

So, until then, at least we've got some form of space combat in a space MMO.  

That's a big if, not saying it won't happen but I doubt their upgrade will be more than the possibility of multiplayer with the current game.

Originally posted by cdestey

I haven't played it yet, but the video I've seen beats the hell out of JTL. Obviously it's more arcade game than simulation (and by more I mean 100%), but JTL was unbearably boring.

Personally I take a real "sim" like XvT, XwA and yes JTL over Rebel Assault 2011 ed. any day.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Creslin321

As a general diversion:  The space game is fine.  Kind of like "The Lost Viking" mini-game space shooter in SC2.

As an MMORPG feature:  The space game is abysmal.  MMORPGs (sandboxes AND themeparks) are supposed to be about exploring a shared persistent world.  Taking one of the most iconic aspects of Star Wars and turning into a Star Fox minigame is kind of ridiculous.  I would have much preferred that BW just didn't do the space game and focused on getting other things right like actually showing a scoreboard in PvP.

Pretty much exactly this. I've made the "Lost Viking" SC2 comparison before myself. I would have personally preferred they gave us the starships as they work now (without the space combat) and spent the development time they spent on space combat giving us Pazaak/Sabacc/Dejarik and (multiplayer) Swoop racing.

Very curious to see what BioWare's cooking up with their super secret space project. :)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

For what it is, it's terrific.  Love the graphics, and it gets better around 30-ish level when you start getting stuff like the power convertor and the EMP.

Obviously, it's no "Tie Fighter", but as far as tunnel shooters go, it's definitely fun to play.

Just wish there was more stuff to buy with the commendations.