Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not for me

ashiresashires Member Posts: 10

Just a note to people concidering Eve.

I joined up and played for a few months, had a bit of fun but it got old for several reasons.

there is no active progression to it, there is almost nothing you as a player can do as an action to advance yourself and faster than someone who isnt even onlline.

The mission get old once you have done the same one 100 times or so.

the constant "give me 100 million or I blow up your ship" from people who have no chance at all of managing it or people asking 100 million to spare my naked jump clone in his newby ship becasue they only speak Korean gets pretty old as well.

The community seems to have made a virtue out of scamming other players, sitting and listening in TS to a corp member scamming some guy out of more and more stuff made me feel like slime for just talking to the guy.

sure I am a carebear I suppose. but the line "I was there" ended up having a afternote to me "and I wish I hadnt been"

Comments

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

yes the game has alot things lacking in it...Most games any one can compete against each other, only gear and actual skill matter...here some monkey who sat for a year in a station and a large enough bank account can litteraly come out never having combated day one and just own a new player....

The skill point system is not a great system for a casual game however in a sandbox with no actual aim or any progression it works....Whats really funny is all these people who love sand box games love to come to threads on other games that are story based and just talk a ton of trash...

A great amount of the eve community is basicly slime and scammers...between ninja looting and salvaging and strong arm robbery or death its just bullshit....

if you love the game awesom great if you just want to add flames cool awesome...

point of the matter is this is yet another player who does not like eve....so the next person who tries to say everyone loves eve....your wrong again.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

I try not to trash talk other games, and not sure why people find the need to do that /shrug .. it annoys me too.

That said ...  people are people and there are plenty of slime/scammers in other MMO's as well, just that in a true sandbox game like this, there are less controls preventing people from doing those sort of things.

in this game I can already tell the players ARE the content ... so think of that slimeball as part of the content. I am guessing part of the fun for some is finding a solid corp, and getting revenge on someone like that .. or planning out for example a mining operation and organzing enough protection to take out someone like that (i'm guessing)

I can see that EvE will not be for everyone and I may grow weary of it over time as well.

can tell you one thing though, given the harsher penalties with death and loss, and given that those sort of people are lurking out there .. makes for one heck of a sense of urgency and adrenaline when traveling / playing.

something severley lacking in other modern theme mmo's (which I enjoy too) but tend to be no real risk involved

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Chivalry1978
    yes the game has alot things lacking in it...Most games any one can compete against each other, only gear and actual skill matter...

Nonsense. Level matters in almost every mmorpg I've ever played.

here some monkey who sat for a year in a station and a large enough bank account can litteraly come out never having combated day one and just own a new player....

Then technically they're both new to combat with one player having an edge in SP. You're not going to learn anything sitting in the station. There's nothing more satisfying then killing somebody with more ISK then brains. I've fought players who thought because they had a faction fit pirate battleship they were going to jump into low sec and kill everything that moves. It didn't end well for them.

A great amount of the eve community is basicly slime and scammers...between ninja looting and salvaging and strong arm robbery or death its just bullshit....

The game is about destroying each other. They don't try to hide it. Most of the scams are really bad and only work if you're not paying attention. If you don't like ninja looting then kill the looter. Salvage is community property, CCP has made this very clear. Piracy and strong arming are part of the game. It lets the players be the bad guys instead of the computer.

point of the matter is this is yet another player who does not like eve....so the next person who tries to say everyone loves eve....your wrong again.

Please show me where somebody in the Eve community ever said "everyone" loves Eve.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by Chivalry1978

yes the game has alot things lacking in it...Most games any one can compete against each other, only gear and actual skill matter...here some monkey who sat for a year in a station and a large enough bank account can litteraly come out never having combated day one and just own a new player....

The skill point system is not a great system for a casual game however in a sandbox with no actual aim or any progression it works....Whats really funny is all these people who love sand box games love to come to threads on other games that are story based and just talk a ton of trash...

if you love the game awesom great if you just want to add flames cool awesome...

I really wish people wouldnt try and troll on this forum like the above poster just did afterall not everyone in EvE could honestly be described as 'Slime', rather i would say those who troll (for fun) other games with what is probably a mixture of made up stuff and rumour from those who barely understand let alone play eve for more than a day are the lowest type in a forum.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Most who play EVE find they don't belong there.

Much like the OP, you are all welcome to find out for yourself.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Because most bears find out that they really cant harden the fuck up :p

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

im gonna buy it while its on sale on steam....no mmo atm and SWTOR didnt do much for me, tried eve in the past but couldnt get past the click to move, gonna try to get into this time around...

Thx op.

Originally posted by Calfis

Or find that they really don't want to.

I "hardened up" lost several billion in assets, killed 10's of billions on assets, repeat and rinse. It got old.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Sounds like life.

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

Originally posted by ashires

there is no active progression to it, there is almost nothing you as a player can do as an action to advance yourself and faster than someone who isnt even onlline.

Gonna borrow a story from the Mitani...

new player joins EVE. Gets into a corp who is part of the Goonswarm.

Goons teach new player how to scam.

several months later, new player scams 60+ billion out of another player (titan sale). 

new player buys a horde of characters from the Bazzar, and will never have to pay CCP anything.

As is preached over and over, EVE is what you make of it.

That new guy scammed someone else, and was able to buy characters that would otherwise have taken him years to obtain.

Originally posted by Swollen_Beef

several months later, new player scams 60+ billion out of another player (titan sale). 

new player buys a horde of characters from the Bazzar, and will never have to pay CCP anything.

That new guy scammed someone else, and was able to buy characters that would otherwise have taken him years to obtain.

That describes EVE quite well. If you have a dark desire to be a human cockroach and lie, cheat and steal years of progress from another player, have no issue shrugging it off as 'just a game' so it's ok? EVE is for you. Take note, you will need to be able to do this in Vent as well as in game. It will require feeding on the goals of others and seeing anything that resembles trust as a weakness.

Enjoy.

Originally posted by free2play

Originally posted by Calfis

Or find that they really don't want to.

I "hardened up" lost several billion in assets, killed 10's of billions on assets, repeat and rinse. It got old.

Sure if you got every kill in exactly the same way. Its less about racking up the kills and more about having fun with the people you are flying with to get the kills. Good kills are stories you can replay in your mind. Stories that you look forward to experiencing again. And maybe even one day finding that ever elusive "good fight".

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by kovah

Sounds like life.

Exacly why a GAME should not be. If i want life, i go to my real life. Games are escapes FROM life.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by kovah

Sounds like life.

Exacly why a GAME should not be. If i want life, i go to my real life. Games are escapes FROM life.

mm its a second life with spaceships in another universe, which is pretty much what you want from a mmorg :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by free2play

Originally posted by Swollen_Beef

That describes EVE quite well. If you have a dark desire to be a human cockroach and lie, cheat and steal years of progress from another player, have no issue shrugging it off as 'just a game' so it's ok? EVE is for you. Take note, you will need to be able to do this in Vent as well as in game. It will require feeding on the goals of others and seeing anything that resembles trust as a weakness.

Enjoy.

Sigh, not all players belong to Goonswarm, certainly the number of scammers is quite small, and you'd have to be a total idiot to get scammed out of a Titan, I'd want to see proof that ever happened.

Corporate infiltration is the best scam I've seen and in fact, the Goonswarm took big losses when one of their officers turned and stole them blind.

Didn't destroy them as an organization and they're back bigger than ever.

EVE let's a person play the way they want to play, and the majority of the players are honorable...even if they'll kill you given half a reason.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Corporate infiltration is the best scam I've seen and in fact, the Goonswarm took big losses when one of their officers turned and stole them blind.

Didn't destroy them as an organization and they're back bigger than ever.

Actually the story goes that karttoon (Goon CEO) was spending less and less time in the game ever since he got engaged but he refused to delegate responsibilities to the goon directorate (you know, holding on to all power and shit is enticing). He didn't leave enough money in the right wallet to pay the sovereignty bills and one day goons wake up to all their hard fought territory being forfeited due to unpaid bills to the NPC authorities that recognize sovereignty.

People started calling for karttoon's head and like a true goon he decides to fuck them before they can fuck him. Disbands the alliance, kicks people out of Goonfleet and places Goonfleet corp in Band of Brothers alliance (the arch-nemesis that they defeated a year earlier via spy that hit the disband button, yeah irony). Then he grabs everything that isn't nailed down (isk, ships, capital ships, super capital ships, shit ton of items worth shit tons of isk) leaving alternate accounts incharge of the now shell corp Goonfleet and the empty alliance Goonswarm.

As the enemies of Goons descended upon the now defunct mass of former goons like vultures descending upon a wounded animal. karttoon posts what amounts to a "fuck goons" thread on the something awful forums then takes all his new found wealth and goes to the only place left that would take a massive drama llama; Pandemic Legion.

IMO the only reason goons came back from oblivion is because The Mittani took over after Darius Johnson (who took over after the karttoon drama) got a job with CCP and abandoned em.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Again, your experience just proves that Eve is not a game for solo players.

Every experience you describe would be compeltly different with a bunch of good friends and a good corp.

But your right, Eve isnt for everyone, because while you 'can' solo in Eve, its not a game that soloers can play really.