Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hellgate: A Great Action-MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest review, we take a look at Hellgate Global. For those unaware, Hellgate Global originally began as Hellgate: London before developer Flagship Studios went out of business. Resurrected by T3 Entertainment and Hanbitsoft, Hellgate Global is experiencing great success. Find out why in our review and then let us know what you think in the comments.

However, everyone deserves a second chance and Hanbitsoft has taken advantage of this. In this review, we will focus on the mediocrity of an original game and its phoenix-like reincarnation from Hellgate: London to Hellgate: Global. HG:G has made much needed improvements turning it from a wannabe MMO into the real deal.

Read more of Alex Frieden's Hellgate: A Great Action-MMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gagaliyagagaliya Member Posts: 54

i wish mmorpg.com would stop writing useless fluff articles like this just to fill space.  The single biggest problem that caused hellgate london to fail originally was it's instability and bug ridden release to the point of unplayable. 

1) How stable is the game now exactly? other than a one liner "it's more polished",   does the game still crash from zone to zone?  do you still get stuck in the doors? lag? network stable?

2) What is the price structure now?  How much exactly do you have to pay after act 2,  what is offered in item mall are they game changing items or just visual?

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Originally posted by gagaliya

i wish mmorpg.com would stop writing useless fluff articles like this just to fill space.  The single biggest problem that caused hellgate london to fail originally was it's instability and bug ridden release to the point of unplayable. 

1) How stable is the game now exactly? other than a one liner "it's more polished",   does the game still crash from zone to zone?  do you still get stuck in the doors? lag? network stable?

2) What is the price structure now?  How much exactly do you have to pay after act 2,  what is offered in item mall are they game changing items or just visual?

I agree with everything you just said. Sometimes I feel like some of these companys are slipping them some money for there reviews while not brining up well known problems.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Alex may come in to the topic later, but I will say that he and I talked a lot about HG while he was writing the review, and all he kept saying was that it's really gotten a lot better since the Flagship days.  His honest opinion is that the game is worth this score, and that's enough for me.  I'm likely going to be checking it out again myself soon, based on his opinion.  But that doesn't mean he's "right".  It just means that an 8/10 is what he thinks of Hellgate: Global. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Originally posted by gagaliya

I can't answer #2, however #1 was resolved long ago even in the original hellgate client so it's likely that it was never an issue if they started with the same codebase.

Shadus

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Alex may come in to the topic later, but I will say that he and I talked a lot about HG while he was writing the review, and all he kept saying was that it's really gotten a lot better since the Flagship days.  His honest opinion is that the game is worth this score, and that's enough for me.  I'm likely going to be checking it out again myself soon, based on his opinion.  But that doesn't mean he's "right".  It just means that an 8/10 is what he thinks of Hellgate: Global. 

Call me skeptical (why not, I am).  It's a rework of one of those spectacularly bad launches from which games rarely ever recover.

Still...IPs can be resurrected.  I wouldn't bet against it, but I can see a long, slow haul of reputation recovery.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BadmiralBadmiral Member UncommonPosts: 5

My apologies fellas

The game is network stable.  In about twenty game hours and in mutliple zones I never once had any weird door problems, zoning crashes, there was no lag (even in pvp) and there was no disconnects.  I was very pleased with it.  I apologize for not addressing those exact specfics. 

I only explored the XP + items.  There do exists items for things that absorb damage from elements when you get hit (obviously not just an aesthetic item).  As well as additional skill items (up to a maximum).  I am not exactly sure on pricing. 

• nadrian3knadrian3k Member UncommonPosts: 101

I guess u guys ran out of things to right about....

That game will never be a big hit...it could very well have a score of over 9000 ...

• ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177

Cons: Dated visual

Aesthetics: 9

Dated but awesome, he meant?

=/

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Originally posted by Badmiral

My apologies fellas

The game is network stable.  In about twenty game hours and in mutliple zones I never once had any weird door problems, zoning crashes, there was no lag (even in pvp) and there was no disconnects.  I was very pleased with it.  I apologize for not addressing those exact specfics. 

I only explored the XP + items.  There do exists items for things that absorb damage from elements when you get hit (obviously not just an aesthetic item).  As well as additional skill items (up to a maximum).  I am not exactly sure on pricing. 

My biggest problems were the d/c on zoning and pvping with people from diff countries. It was like playing gunz on iggy and fighting somone from brazil. They just randomly apeared and you just had to "guess" where to attack. Glad to hear some of it is fixed thou.

• chillizchilliz Member UncommonPosts: 96

Originally posted by nadrian3k

That game will never be a big hit...it could very well have a score of over 9000 ...

I guess you also forgot how to spell "WRITE".  Dont worry, we all no the american education system is going to pot.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Originally posted by chilliz

Originally posted by nadrian3k

I guess you also forgot how to spell "WRITE".  Dont worry, we all no the american education system is going to pot.

I see what you did their.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BabyChooChooBabyChooChoo Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by Thanosxp

Aesthetics: 9

Dated but awesome, he meant?

=/

Aesthetics has more to do with art style rather than just the raw number of polygons. So the game looks dated in a technical sense, sure, but the art style is so beautiful (according to the reviewer) that it makes up for it.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Nice review. Sounds like a good review and I might check it out

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• nattiusnattius Member Posts: 22
    "Dont worry, we all no the american education system is going to pot."

That'll be "KNOW" then, best use spellcheck before Criticizing me thinks. =P
  • virindi1virindi1 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by nattius

"Dont worry, we all no the american education system is going to pot."

That'll be "KNOW" then, best use spellcheck before Criticizing me thinks. =P

Completely missed the point.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by BabyChooChoo

Originally posted by Thanosxp
    Aesthetics: 9 Dated but awesome, he meant?
    =/  

Aesthetics has more to do with art style rather than just the raw number of polygons. So the game looks dated in a technical sense, sure, but the art style is so beautiful (according to the reviewer) that it makes up for it.  

I would disagree with this. The art style of the cut scenes and intro movies is cool, even though they are dated. The art style in the game is just dated, in both style and implementation.

I think had the original game actually stuck around, didn't charge a subscription and had gotten updated, it would have been something fairly cool. It just seems like it's too little, too late for this game to do anything great.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I played it through till its dying days, and the re-release was just as buggy as the first release, but once all the constant disconnects and the pin-code annoyances got toned down, it actually reminded me of the good times from Hell Gate: London, although this was a problem, I may not have maxed out my rank in the old game(Stopped at 50/42), but I already knew what this game was going to have me do after I clear through London, Hedge, and Tokyo, and that is doing boss runs over and over again to look for perfect items and to farm exp. This is definitely something I'm no longer interested in, and thus I never made it passed level 12 the 2nd time around.

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

I recently installed Hellgate Global (resurrection, whatever) with a huge anticipation and great hopes, AS I THINK I WAS ONE OF THE FEW PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY ENJOYED the game back than.....

But boy, oh boy, was I wrong!

GRAPHICS!! Its the ''NEw'' graphiczzzz!!

Back in the day (if memory serves;D) we could run Hellgate in dx9 and dx10 versions, and there were several bugs plagueing the game, and the memory leaks etc were especially bad in the dx10 version, SO I USED TO RUN THE GAME (more often than not) in DX9 and it was still a shweet looking game.

BUT NOW!* :(

Yeah, sure, u cant run the game at all now in dx10, AND ITS OKAY, BUT* the problem is; even in DX9 THE GAME LOOKS MUCH, MUCH WORSE THAN IT EVER DID BEFORE... dang....

At highest settings, the current hellgate global looks like the original hellgate londons lowest settings that were available.

Because of the reasons mentioned above (graphics bugs, performance issues, memory leaks etc) i-do-understand the reasons behind why they have taken down the dx-10 options etc,

BUT TO MAKE THE GAME (ALMOST) LOOK LIKE THE ORIGINAL DOOM? Devs, r u freaking nuts!? Its such a huuuuge downgrade even i (a fan of the original game) couldnt play it anymore:(

Hope it gets fixed soon, i think its still beta or something,,,?

• nezbelnezbel Member UncommonPosts: 47

I have a really hard time taking this review seriously, the scores just seem bloated and it feels like they're contridictions in the review. The only score that feels honest is the Value.  I mean, just look at the Innovation review:

Frankly, Hellgate Global doesn’t do anything new.  The majority of mechanics aren’t new.  The idea of a futuristic demon world is definitely not common but is a new spin on an old idea.  The game is doesn’t deviate too far from other hack and slash MMORPGs that we have come to expect from a large portion of the genre.  Its biggest innovation is trying to blend the shooter with Diablo mechanics, and other games have done that better since.

And yet it is scored a 7.

Unless there was some recent super patch to the game, the game is dated and shallow, though you can see some gleams of potential of what could have been if the game was ever fully produced. If you want to pick up an old game or reminisce of what the title could have been I think you could have fun for a couple of days messing around. Unless you pay though, your just not gonna get much though and I think you can spend you dollar on something more worth your while.

I'd give it a 5, a nice idea but just doesn't hit the mark. Not bad for a quick time killer or just to check out for old times sake.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Back in the day, I might have agreed with the scores given. But now... sorry, no. There have been other games which do the whole shooter/ARPG thing much better since Hellgate's initial release. I did enjoy the game in its initial form quite a bit, until Roper Flagshipped all the fans & employees by selling out to the Koreans. Such a pity.

BTW Mr. Roper, if you should happen to read this by some miracle, I haven't forgotten about the $100 refund you owe me and every other lifetime subscriber you ripped off. Pray we never meet on the street.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I think this game is super freakin awesome. Love it.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

It is not great game. Maybe 4/10 deffo NOT 8/10...

• KoddoKoddo Member Posts: 151

There are gamebreaking bugs with this game that t3fun/hanbitsoft aren't even concerned about fixing. There is a bug with the ragdoll physics (some of us believe it to be the cause) that will drop your fps to less than 1 fps until the culprit(s) fade. Still plenty of lag and bugs running around, and t3fun is only really concerned about putting new items in the mall. When they pulled the "bait and switch" with the revenue model, I knew they weren't a good company and all their intention for this game was a cash grab. I mean, stating the game is completely f2p, then 2 days before release say that only up to the end of act2 (very early in the game) is completely free then you have to pay to access the rest of the game is shady in my book. That is more of an unlimited free trial than f2p. Personally, while it's being run by this company, I would suggest not even giving it a try. It's worse off now IMO than it was before. If you want to play it, I say get the flagship version and play the single player. At least that way there are some mods out to enhance your gameplay instead of hinder it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The pen is mightier than the sword, and authority is mightier than the pen, but the sword is mightier than authority.

If you can't beat 'em, hold 'em off 'till you come up with a better plan.

• pompey606pompey606 Member UncommonPosts: 439

After seeing the Giantbomb.com intern footage of HG I cannot believe this article - video for reference -

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Just saying but...

8/10 sounds far too kind, specially with a "F2P" game that charges you for content, specially for more than half of the game's content. It sounds more like a desperate attempt to "normalize" the cashflow from a F2P title than it does a favor to the players. Hence why you NEVER see a true F2P game doing it.

At least, the dozens upon dozens of F2P titles that I've gone through never did such a thing. And before anyone brings it up, no. Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, and other Abrupt F2P titles don't count.