Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Launch Day!

Comments

• Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243

Oh dear.. Launch day for TOR on metacritic seems to be a burning hell! So many biased hate again. People on that site are just never able to look at things without a biased opinion... The owners of that site really should do something about this crap. :-/

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

For months, while in beta I had no game crashes. During prerelease, I also experienced no crashes since it has been in regular release I have had four with each of them coming with about 20 minutes in a holding pattern to get back in.

• derksttderkstt Member Posts: 1

All the hate is due to WoW surrogates out there trying to paint a bad picture.  

I remember when queue times in WoW were as bad if not worse than TOR.  Not to mention the PVP queue times taking hours and hours.  Nothing is perfect, it never will be.  The main issue is, if you arent willing to go through the growing pains that every MMO has at lauch and really for the first 6-8 months, then wait 12 months and then play.  

Consistantly fighting over which game is better and this game does this better than that, and what not is not constructive.  

These two games are completely different genres of MMO and both can be enjoyed.  TOR will not be a WoW killer, Blizzard will do that themselves with all the riduculous "WoW re-rolls" they are trying.  If Blizzard wants to keep millions of fans, do what EQ did and roll out WoW2, or whatever.  

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

Limiting the digital copies is to create artificial scarcity to s(t)imulate demand. The local Walmart has about 30 copies...

Servers stable with no lag, but can't get in...seems they are a bit skewed on their server metrics.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

Yes, I remember the WOW queue times in the early days, and it seemed like it took them at least a year or more to resolve.  Most likely because they had to wait for money to come in to adjust.  At first this game will be no different, but I think that they are much more prepared, and after the first exodus that every mmo has within the first couple of months, this will be a non-issue. 

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134

for the last time, for all you wannabe professionals....

games do NOT LAUNCH! rocketships launch.. games RELEASE!

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Originally posted by jonnyfrag

btw, the 'official thread' is at over 500 pages right now and has been recreated 3 times already since Friday.... this being the second official thread after the first one did the same thing. Its not a small problem and no it's not 'people aren't used to ques' it's 3-4 hour long ques, ques on EVERY east coast server by 9:30 their time, and only a dozen or so west coast servers with no que at all yet.

SW:TOR  launch day is here, but you still are waiting for a while to play!

I dont know if its my play times but the longest que I have seen is 45 minutes. There have always been servers that have no ques when I play...I did plan badly and picked a server that almost always has a que of 20 to 40 minutes. I just plan ahead though and start the que up while I go do something else long before I actually intend on playing. This has worked out for me and the ques for me are slowly dying down and getting shorter.

The one thing they could do to help ques is allow free character transfers between servers.

• taoofjestertaoofjester Member Posts: 19

Have not had one queue issue. Just recently had the server drop me several times trying to join a PVP game. Otherwise it has been a great experience and a great game. Though I have noticed my character is under-leveled for the main quest line and all the side quests I have done. I am not sure why? I do not do flash points, or PVP (until recently) so perhaps that is why?

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I dont know what this article is talking about, this MMO is crashing like crazy for people and the game released like 6 days ago but barely anyone has been able to play because of their "early access" system.  Slap a "early access" label on your broken release does not make it OK.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

I caved, ordered it. Won't get it till the 22th most likely but that's alright, hopefully the release day issues will have reduced a tiny bit.

I don't really know a lot about it other than the WoW elements which are copied, but for the most part I'll be diving into an MMO without little pre-research. Suprise me I suppose, but I'll remain ready to be disappointed, how entertaining can a themepark be after the ride is over, afterall.

• trembulanttrembulant Member Posts: 101

{mod edit}

These are the people with no sensibility or patience whatsoever. The kind of people that ruin communities before they get started, pathetic.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

I don't know how anyone can call it launch day when it's been out for a week now.

Marketing campaigns ftw.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by jarosujo

How exacty am I supposed to buy this game (digital copy) ? On EA  Origin store it is sold out. Strange for donwloadable game. I already have the game from beta, all I need is to buy code to activate it. Thanx for any help. 

Lol wait you can run out of digital copies? XD

I have the same problem.  Be interesting to know where other people live with this problem.  It seems Australia isn't on the map for EA...  I was pissed seeing a big email telling me to buy now and how the game has finally launched then get told its sold out and its not even released in Australia.  Honesty is the best option here.  If Australia is going to be 2 weeks post launch or whatever, then just say it.  Don't let a legion of Aussies get pissed off, its not pretty!

• CypruskaCypruska Member UncommonPosts: 45

I'm gonna die!

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by Arglebargle

Originally posted by precious328

Originally posted by niceguy3978

"This will be a bad day long remembered. It has seen the end of INNOVATION, it will soon see the end of the Sandbox"

I dunno, I think the failure of SWG was the end of the "big name" sandbox.

SWG was actually a fun game before it went "WoW" back in 2006.

'Fun' and 'well made' are not synonymous.    I know.....I still play Master of Orion 3.....

Holy hell! You still play MOO3? I loved the first two. The 3rd I could never get into.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I dont know what this article is talking about, this MMO is crashing like crazy for people and the game released like 6 days ago but barely anyone has been able to play because of their "early access" system.  Slap a "early access" label on your broken release does not make it OK.

So how manny is "barely anyone" out of 1.5 million?

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

game is fine for me. enjoying it. pvp is awesome. space missions will need improvement but are still fun. just got a mission from my companion. bioware have done a good job imo.

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

"This will be a bad day long remembered. It has seen the end of INNOVATION, it will soon see the end of the Sandbox"

Thats assuming that this game will be some blockbuster success, enven though its sitting right on top of a million box sales right now, which would put it, right where Age of Conan was, when it was released. Considering the bad reviews and bad word of mouth from all but the most devout TOR fanatic, I don't see it.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Azaria

Thats assuming that this game will be some blockbuster success, enven though its sitting right on top of a million box sales right now, which would put it, right where Age of Conan was, when it was released. Considering the bad reviews and bad word of mouth from all but the most devout TOR fanatic, I don't see it.

rather than it signaling the end of the sandbox.. a more likely scenario is that it will signal that linear gameplay orientated themeparks are a 'dead end' and that more open ended gameplay is needed to make a good themepark MMO.. but.. for the moment the shine should not yet have worn off of SW;TOR.. it will most likely be a few weeks before players start running out of storyline based content image

• wesleyartswesleyarts Member Posts: 43

Reason why I was on Beta but not buying or playing this game.

Graphics, not the style, but the models, combat animations. The characters run and walk like robots, the animations are clumsy and dull.

The sound effects, voice and music are great. But I cant stand my char running like an old arcade of the 80's. Too bad, why they used so poor models, animations and combat?

/sad

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Hardly a "die-hard" fan, wasn't even planning to play it at all originally (was and still is looking forward to GW2) but I won't lie - it's a good, polished game. It's fun. LOTS of people are playing. It's drawing in a lot of people who are Bioware/KOTOR fans who never played an MMO before and General Chat is predominantly positive on the servers I've played on.

"Old school" MMO players are screaming in here about the sharding, but in-game people are loving that they can complete quests and participate in combat without tremendous lag and constant kill-stealing (something I guess those diehard old-school players enjoy or something :P).

It's not a PERFECT(tm) game, but it is a lot of fun to play and it is loaded with polish (especially the *perfect* sound/fx provided by Skywalker Sound for the game). I can easily see the game holding at a solid 2-3 million player-base. Just wait till kids return to school, older players return to work from holiday/vacation, and word-of-mouth of how much fun they are having starts to spread.

I'm still really looking forward to GW2, but if SWTOR continues to be as fun as it is now, I'll be playing both (as much as that will pain and cause head-asplosions to the wonderful "community" here on MMORPG forums :P)

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Stx11

Hardly a "die-hard" fan, wasn't even planning to play it at all originally (was and still is looking forward to GW2) but I won't lie - it's a good, polished game. It's fun. LOTS of people are playing. It's drawing in a lot of people who are Bioware/KOTOR fans who never played an MMO before and General Chat is predominantly positive on the servers I've played on.

"Old school" MMO players are screaming in here about the sharding, but in-game people are loving that they can complete quests and participate in combat without tremendous lag and constant kill-stealing (something I guess those diehard old-school players enjoy or something :P).

It's not a PERFECT(tm) game, but it is a lot of fun to play and it is loaded with polish (especially the *perfect* sound/fx provided by Skywalker Sound for the game). I can easily see the game holding at a solid 2-3 million player-base. Just wait till kids return to school, older players return to work from holiday/vacation, and word-of-mouth of how much fun they are having starts to spread.

I'm still really looking forward to GW2, but if SWTOR continues to be as fun as it is now, I'll be playing both (as much as that will pain and cause head-asplosions to the wonderful "community" here on MMORPG forums :P)

The lack of lag has been remarkable given the number of players on every server. The game has been playable and well performing. Now, the queues are a different matter. Too bad players have been trained to roll on already full servers. 

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

when i rolled on kaas city and toro blood at start they were light loads of course i got in a 7:10 am day 1 of early access. 

i am now roling on a light server to play when my servers have ques, ill play my inquisitor when toro blood doesnt have a que and on a newer server when it has one

Or if my gf wants to play ill just deal with que to play with her on kaas city.

i read they are looking into server transfers but dont know when that would be available, if they do this and do it for free with all the full servers it may lighten the load of those full servers.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

You really believe that this is true? Hilarious what people will think up.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• wargassmwargassm Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by Calerxes

You really believe that this is true? Hilarious what people will think up.

I ROFL at this, i havent had one crash to desktop yet (including beta testing and stress test weekend.)  I was allowed in in first wave of early release on Dec 13th.....

Didnt see this thread till i checked up what people thought while im @ work.  OMG too busy playing game to respond to Trolls.

the game isnt crashing to desktop, some maybe once or twice but its purely an end user issue with thier PC or internet connection.

for the record im running a Dell XPS, 625, quad core AMD black box edition CPU, 8GB ram on windows 7x64 with ATI 4750HD 1.5GB card. ineternet speed is 25mb up and down :)