Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 and the holy trinity

PolarisationPolarisation Member Posts: 108

Turns out GW2 does have the holy trinity, instead of tank-heals-dps, GW2 has warrior-guardian-ele. those are the only 3 classes you need to succeed in PVP.

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Polarisation

Turns out GW2 does have the holy trinity, instead of tank-heals-dps, GW2 has warrior-guardian-ele. those are the only 3 classes you need to succeed in PVP.

What a bummer.

[mod edit] Oh and btw, could you provide some link, or information to prove your point?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Well I'm not a GW 2 fanboy but let me toll you one thing:

This game does not have a trinity. Arenanet stated that even 5 elementarists could complete a so called exploration dungeon. So basically everyone can do everything just the way they are doing it is different, just Rifts super-duper-classsystem only taken a step further.

From what I've seen and read about this game its like:

Everyone is responsible for themselves, if everyone is doing the job for himself right the group will succed, but sadly there are no things like helping out your group cause you can't be a healer or tank.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• PolarisationPolarisation Member Posts: 108

let's just say it's something i've heard.

it isn't all that surprising that the best PVP team is based around the best dps, crowd-control and support/heal classes.

Granted that noone has really seen the mesmer in action, but without the energy denial and game-changing interrupts of GW1, it's hard to see him being a major factor.

• PolarisationPolarisation Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by DerWotan

Bioware stated that even 5 elementarists could complete a so called exploration dungeon. 

I'm speaking exclusively about PVP. I suspect 5 monkeys could complete an exploration dungeon. 

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Well I'm not a GW 2 fanboy but le me toll you one thing:

This game does not have a trinity. Bioware stated that even 5 elementarists could complete a so called exploration dungeon. So basically everyone can do everything just the way they are doing it is different, just Rifts super-duper-classsystem only taken a step further.

Everyone is responsible for themselves, if everyone is doing the job for himself right the group will succed, but sadly there are no things like helping out your group cause you can't be a healer or tank.

corecction. :P ArenaNet not Bioware .

You can help everyones else in your groups same has everyones else can help you, Since u said 5 elementalist can do dungeon , then they can use water skill that heal ally  instend of  doing burst damage in fire element, and earth element to be more tough so u can acutaly take more damage ,

every profession can support, the Guardian can put some stuff on the ground and if u stand in it its shield u or heal or something, the only think u cant do is target a ally and heal him but u still can help him,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

it isn't all that surprising that the best PVP team is based around the best dps, crowd-control and support/heal classes.

Granted that noone has really seen the mesmer in action, but without the energy denial and game-changing interrupts of GW1, it's hard to see him being a major factor.

LOL!   That is the worst excuse for ineffective trolling I've ever heard!

if I was drinking a glass of milk it would have shot out my nose

You win the internet!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by sk8chalif

This game does not have a trinity. Bioware stated that even 5 elementarists could complete a so called exploration dungeon. So basically everyone can do everything just the way they are doing it is different, just Rifts super-duper-classsystem only taken a step further.

You can help everyones else in your groups same has everyones else can help you, Since u said 5 elementalist can do dungeon , then they can use water skill that heal ally around u, and earth element to be more tough so u can acutaly take more damage ,

every profession can support, the Guardian can put some stuff on the ground and if u stand in it its shield u or heal or something, the only think u cant do is target a ally and heal him but u still can help him,

Thanks to both of ya :-) yeah Arenanet gonna edit/fix that asap.

I know but you can't help them directly they have to stand in the circel because there is no tab-target system. So lets say your mesmer is in danger you cant  help him out with a heal or an aggro-reducing, redirecting spell all you can do is make some circles and HOPE he will be in there quick enough if not, wipe.

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

You can help everyones else in your groups same has everyones else can help you, Since u said 5 elementalist can do dungeon , then they can use water skill that heal ally around u, and earth element to be more tough so u can acutaly take more damage ,

I know but you can't help them directly they have to stand in the circel because there is no tab-target system. So lets say your mesmer is in danger you cant  help him out with a heal or an aggro-reducing, redirecting spell all you can do is make some circles and HOPE he will be in there quick enough if not, wipe.

he can dodge away, and if he die ur team will need to hurry and revive him,

if he Actualy dodge and Survive and since there is no aggro, (exemple) if iam a Elementalist, i change myself to earth element  so i got my defence and get close to the boss , i have a chance that the boss will change target by getting close to him  and start attacking me instend of the 1 in trouble,

i dont realy know how this will work but i hear and read somewhere that a mobs (boss) will attack the 1 closer to him and sometime attack anyones he want.

i dont realy follow much gw2 has much has i want,

we need a expert to explain :P

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Yes and no. There are also skills that heal your teammates or provide beneficial effect based on your proximity to them. Healing Wave is one of them. Thus, if ya wanna help out quickly, just move close to your teammate and cast it.

P.S. Also, there is no agro in GW2.

And then we also have dodge and roll.Perhaps the OP and the SWTOR fan don't understand how the targgeting system works in GW2.We are going to get a lot of these threads now that swtor is out.Many of them will be by x swtor fanboys who have not been following GW2 but spent all there time hyping swtor just to realise that it's not all it's cracked up to be.You can tell this by the DE being like rifts rifts events comment.

Guess an expert putting some light into this would the best thing *g*

Gotta think that group dynamic in this game will be very chaotic add to that tons of boss abilities and your screen should be packed with information(s). It will for sure take time till everyone adopts to that new system. Maybe I'll pick it up and play it while waiting for AA since its b2p there is no harm.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Is that why I watched Izzy, one of the developers, completely demolish elementalists in GStar PvP videos? Why I watched a Necromancer go toe-to-toe with 4 other people and hold her own until others showed up? Let alone that Mesmers haven't even been in PvP yet? Once again you bring up the energy thing, did you even play GW1? Mesmers did more than kill people's energy bars, even before the recent update I could spike damage the hell out of any caster with skills Mesmers in GW2 still have.

And all this over something you 'heard.' I think I'm actually embarassed for you.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Sylvarii

And then we also have dodge and roll.Perhaps the OP and the SWTOR fan don't understand how the targgeting system works in GW2.We are going to get a lot of these threads now that swtor is out.Many of them will be by x swtor fanboys who have not been following GW2 but spent all there time hyping swtor just to realise that it's not all it's cracked up to be.You can tell this by the DE being like rifts rifts events comment.

LOL thats the truth, thier going to panic now and start jumping on the GW2 forums demanding raid content lol. The Official and TOR forums here are so funny to watch. I remember when AION got a flood of people leaving WOW clones demanding more safe zones and no pvp servers lol.  Raid guilds are going to go into a panic seeing as how RIFT is going to be their only option for the next 3 years or so. I have sadistic joy from watching this unfold.

This is one of the latest videos of a boss fight during gamescon, judge for yourself on the amount of info on the screen and how hard it might be to adopt to it CLICKY~~~

The boss drake is very impressive but the fight meh, doesn't even move just fly a bit. Yeah too much useless information going on such as scrolling combat text hope for some people, that you turn that off.

but agreed players from a specific game are trying hard to turn everything into the same LOG fest instead of sticking to the game they've created with all their crying and lazy attitudes.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

A. I think you meant ArenaNet instead of Bioware.
    B. You can help the group with cross class combos.
    C. Lets not feed the troll.

I would like to add to this.

gw2 does still have a trinity. It's just not tank/healer/dps. It's something else.

also your avatar is creepy. Please change it!!! Jk I like it actually

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by MMOExposed

gw2 does still have a trinity. It's just not tank/healer/dps. It's something else.

also your avatar is creepy. Please change it!!! Jk I like it actually

Not really, its just that some people have done the EQ formula and nothing else that they cant fathom a non holy trinity system. There is no healer class, everyone can take a healing spell but not massive healing spells, mostly self heals. Most classes can go melee or ranged with few exceptions but even an elementalist can get an elemental weapon from time to time, rangers can go two handed sword, etc. Also you switch weapons go from one set of attacks to another. I think a few classes will be stronger with control spells or defense, but I have played with a similar system in what they did with Spellborn and its not what you think. They also tried something like this on the new Final Fantasy, but the game itself is not so great. 

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

According to ArenaNet you could say that there is still a trinity. And its based on support, damage and control. 

The really change provided, is no fixed roles and no roles that a class can not contibute with. What is gained by this is no down time LFG, and the abillity to always play with anyone, no matter their class.

While OP is obvius trolling it doesn't help if answers get the facts wrong.

To OP's pvp claim, looking at what little there about PvP its easy to see that the statement is ignorant, to a level where it properly doesn't help provide an answer. But so far PvP builds have been really diverse. And that has NOTHING to do with a trinity claim.Go look up som videos. 

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

So you are implying you got your inormation from beta.

Well if it's true, which I doubt, then this is what betas are for. A while ago necromancer was almost godlike in PvP but ANet tweaked it somewhat, especially the downed death-shroud mechanic, and now its fine.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

More importantly, it's not fixed. Any character can take any role at any given time.

• rdashrdash Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by Naqaj

More importantly, it's not fixed. Any character can take any role at any given time.

Technically, in Holy Trinity games DPS can become a Tank (for about 1 second or so). The key difference is that swapping roles is more effective than sticking to them, which is opposite to how Holy Trinity games work.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Bioware stated that even 5 elementarists could complete a so called exploration dungeon. 

I'm speaking exclusively about PVP. I suspect 5 monkeys could complete an exploration dungeon. 

Any three professions, with skilled players behind them, can beat any other three professions.

One thing ANet does better than most is balance PvP. Fear not, little one.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

An all Thieves group will kick the collective asses of your "holy trinity" group if they are superior players.  Player skill trumps character build in GW2. 

OP classes: the last refuge of lousy players.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

You have to wonder why people insist on calling it "trinity" when they have to explain it like: "Its not holy trinity but..." "...and you don't really stick to one role and..." etc.

Anet probably explained it through A trinity so that people would have easier time to grasp it. I don't think it has a trinity, tho. It would be stretching the term too much.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Originally posted by Volkon

Any three professions, with skilled players behind them, can beat any other three professions.

ANet sucks at game balance. Just take a look at GW1.

Oh and btw: I'd like to see your team consisting of one warrior, one guardian and one elementalist getting crushed by my engineer, thief, mesmer, ranger and ranger combo.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by IPolygon

Oh and btw: I'd like to see your team consisting of one warrior, one guardian and one elementalist getting crushed by my engineer, thief, mesmer, ranger and ranger combo.

excuse you! 10 professions, dual profession system = 90 posible combinations. Game has over 1300 skills! It's as balanced as it can be! Give them some credit..

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Originally posted by thedarkess

Originally posted by IPolygon

excuse you! 10 professions, dual profession system = 90 posible combinations. Game has over 1300 skills! It's as balanced as it can be! Give them some credit..

I am so confused... lets take a look at why!

1. Anet has stated that, not Bioware... you seem confused on what forum your on...

2. PvP will be balanced, Gw1 was very good at balanceing, now, while there are some cheap builds (Blind Eles), there was always some sort of counter, just pay attention to what is running.

3. Gw2 does not have a dual profession system.

I hope to god you all are messing around :P