Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old 'school'ers rejoice check this out !!!

darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Well guys like many i've become tired and dismayed with the state of the industry,with the recent SWTOR my initial reaction was 150 million,huh ?

With Vanguard is it only a matter of time before SOE invest in another pile of trash and kill a tarnished gem with there track record very likely as they killed the best Mo that many think ever existed.Will Dawntide fill the Sandbox gap or ever be released will Archeage live up to it's pedigree and will we see it before 2013?

But as i surfed as i have on this site for many a moon lo and behold i came across an obscurely titled new Mo,well here we go again was my intial thought some Korean F2P crap as most are these days.

But strip me naked and call me Susan i arrived at a very polished site with so much info i was engrossed,there was a vid  an insight into the lore and  the clincher a very ambitious space MO Hybrid/Sandbox that the devs have spent 3 years on and are ramping up for full Alpha testing,With too many features to shake a stick at this should have former SWG-pre NGE players positively wetting them selves with anticipation !!

So do your self a favour and check out The Repopulation furthermore the Devs are constanly on the forums and these guys were one of the first  Indies to use the Hero engine,yes the one Bioware seemingly forgot they were useing!!

This link is for the overall features page it's quite a read.

http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=175&Itemid=452

p>

Comments

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Looks good, hope they pull it off.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Yup i remeber stumbling on this awhile back then forgot about it.

I'll bookmarks this one thanks...

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Hmm...definitely worth keeping tabs on the game.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Sounds promising. Are they making a medieval theme mmorpg with swords and axes as well? :P

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Oooo never heard of this one,thanks for the link !
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Cool to see things moving along for them.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

This is looking good, has many good features many seek! Thanks for the link :)

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78

Thanks for taking interest in our project, if you have any questions we are happy to answer them on the forums and we also have a forum here on mmorpg as well that we check in every once and awhile (that is fairly new so there really isn't anything there yet).

Joshua Halls
    Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Thanks for posting this!  Althought I'm sad to have to wait for it, I'm stoked that it even exists.

I'm listening to "The Sandbox" interview podcast from October.  It is very informative (as is the website).

The game is influenced by SWG, UO, EQ, MUD games, etc.  It will feature non-combat and social professions as well!  Lot's of good news here!

http://thesandbox.mmosmacktalk.com/?p=301

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Blimey thanks to everybody for your comments and especially to Xerves,glad i could direct some of u guys to this project just goes to show a bit of Dev/Mod interaction with us lesser mortals really does go a long way i've got a good feeling about this game already image

p>

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Thanks for posting this!  Althought I'm sad to have to wait for it, I'm stoked that it even exists.

I'm listening to "The Sandbox" interview podcast from October.  It is very informative (as is the website).

The game is influenced by SWG, UO, EQ, MUD games, etc.  It will feature non-combat and social professions as well!  Lot's of good news here!

http://thesandbox.mmosmacktalk.com/?p=301

Np thought i'd have a rant in my post then show a shineing light quite festive really,prob the flu still makeing me grumpy then let you guys decide from the linky and yeah it really is hard to catagorise this game, also getting a reply from a Dev cheered me up no end !!

p>
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by darker70

Well guys like many i've become tired and dismayed with the state of the industry,with the recent SWTOR my initial reaction was 150 million,huh ?

With Vanguard is it only a matter of time before SOE invest in another pile of trash and kill a tarnished gem with there track record very likely as they killed the best Mo that many think ever existed.Will Dawntide fill the Sandbox gap or ever be released will Archeage live up to it's pedigree and will we see it before 2013?

But as i surfed as i have on this site for many a moon lo and behold i came across an obscurely titled new Mo,well here we go again was my intial thought some Korean F2P crap as most are these days.

But strip me naked and call me Susan i arrived at a very polished site with so much info i was engrossed,there was a vid  an insight into the lore and  the clincher a very ambitious space MO Hybrid/Sandbox that the devs have spent 3 years on and are ramping up for full Alpha testing,With too many features to shake a stick at this should have former SWG-pre NGE players positively wetting them selves with anticipation !!

So do your self a favour and check out The Repopulation furthermore the Devs are constanly on the forums and these guys were one of the first  Indies to use the Hero engine,yes the one Bioware seemingly forgot they were useing!!

http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=175&Itemid=452

Your reaction to swtor was 'huh' and you expect people to respect that?  Sure, you could appeal to the haters, but this just comes off as short sighted towards the community.  As they say, you have one chance to make a first impression. *plonk*

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• YYAAAWWWNN!

There ain't diddly squat going on in this industry...nothing worth looking at, anyway.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Your reaction to swtor was 'huh' and you expect people to respect that?  Sure, you could appeal to the haters, but this just comes off as short sighted towards the community.  As they say, you have one chance to make a first impression. *plonk*

Take it how you like but i've posted about SWTOR and commented about the Beta did you get the reference 150 million as in what the heck did they do with the money?,I have never flamed it just very disappointed with what to me is  a waste of the hero engine,which i have tried a very early Alpha which had more to offer than SWTOR.

And it was to be taken in jest and not the whole basis for my post which was to link to The Repopulation because quite frankly there has been enough posts and squabbling regarding SWTOR to sink a bloody battleship.

So if u like SWTOR fine and dandy if it evolves i may partake,but for now i'll sit it out and from the queues i think i made the right choice there.

p>
  • steelfrenzysteelfrenzy Member Posts: 147

Originally posted by waynejr2

Your reaction to SWTOR was better than 'huh' and you expect people to respect that? The game isn't bad, but it's mediocre. I don't know you, but your first impression on me isn't impress-ive.

• joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78

I think perhaps the 'huh' could be explained like a hollywood blockbuster movie that they spend a ton of $$$ on for all those explosions and shiny effects and it might be a good ride, but at the end it was just a bullet point in what you did over the summer. Now you go watch a movie that costed significantly less and the plot and story was something that moved you and perhaps something you reflected on longer.  For $150m they could of probably done something very different and revolutionary, but they simply decided to play it safe and make something everyone is familiar with (WoW style gameplay) and what will more than likely make back the investment in development and advertisement.  

Joshua Halls
    Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

Originally posted by xerves

I think perhaps the 'huh' could be explained like a hollywood blockbuster movie that they spend a ton of $$$ on for all those explosions and shiny effects and it might be a good ride, but at the end it was just a bullet point in what you did over the summer. Now you go watch a movie that costed significantly less and the plot and story was something that moved you and perhaps something you reflected on longer.  For $150m they could of probably done something very different and revolutionary, but they simply decided to play it safe and make something everyone is familiar with (WoW style gameplay) and what will more than likely make back the investment in development and advertisement.  

Thank you could not have put it better myself,well maybe Huh? image

I wonder if this could take off like Skyrim,sort of like just use Huh as a statement 

I could have made a better SWTOR game,but our Hero engine Dev took an arrow to the knee image

p>
  • PKJackCrowPKJackCrow Member Posts: 231

Thanks i didnt know about this one, been keeping my eye on wizardry online, 40k online and wod online. ill add to the list

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

well if these are the guys who will be able to pull off the "themebox" hybrid that i wish someone would make, they'll have my bucks for sure.

i'll certainly keep checking in on the repop.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203

Well im happy to see some companys trying to bring sandbox back. I hope they will get good support, but, honestly.

If everyone wants a sandbox old-school real mmo, why don't you just go play one. they still exsist. I play Ultima Online and it is still amazing. Crap. Only MMO i know of that the devs ACTUALLY truley care. they invest more time into improving UO then any other dev team i know of in any other mmo. They're always helping players with events they want to do. they make thier own unique events, they make the world feel so alive. And by the end of spring, the graphics will be completly re-done again. Now im not trying to go into a long rampling of a game i like, but my point is that "real old school mmos" still exsist and are just as great as they were. Who cares how long theyve been around for. That actually makes a game better in my book because you know its had all that time to become something great and shows if it can make it over 5-10 years. then its truely a MMO!

Long live UO, EQ, EVE!

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Looks interesting, perhaps a tad too ambitious but the developers seem dedicated. Graphics look decent enough for a modern indie title. Hope it's playable on most computers.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

> Will Dawntide fill the Sandbox gap or ever be released will Archeage live up to it's pedigree and will we see it before 2013?

Why would you, the customer, wish for an early release of Archeage ? Just checking out what happened to Vanguard I would always want games to be released when they're ready, and not a day earlier.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Sorry, but I've seen too many small projects with mile-long feature lists turn into a steaming pile of crap as the dev team runs out of money/time/both.

I'll keep an eye, but not holding my breath. Wish you luck though.

And OP, you should have been a bit more conservative with your title. They don't even have a beta date yet, so it might be coming in 2015 for all we know.

Originally posted by tom_gore

Sorry, but I've seen too many small projects with mile-long feature lists turn into a steaming pile of crap as the dev team runs out of money/time/both.

I'll keep an eye, but not holding my breath. Wish you luck though.

And OP, you should have been a bit more conservative with your title. They don't even have a beta date yet, so it might be coming in 2015 for all we know.

Err was not implying any sort of Beta,just that there is a game that old school vets might like.was gonna go with an SWG title but it did not sound right in my head anyways and according to the forums The purposed testing is early 2012.

p>

Originally posted by Adamantine

> Will Dawntide fill the Sandbox gap or ever be released will Archeage live up to it's pedigree and will we see it before 2013?

Why would you, the customer, wish for an early release of Archeage ? Just checking out what happened to Vanguard I would always want games to be released when they're ready, and not a day earlier.

God forbid it's taken Vanguard ages to be playable and its still buggy,but one of the best of it's genre out there i think at Vanguard's launch i was in prob the worst launch of all time Dark And Light so i know bad launches when i see them.

The Archeage quip was just used to as an example as there are games out there in Beta,that on paper are a dream game but they may take a while getting here mainly as Archeage has the added difficulty of needing translation and a publisher as well.

So in that respect westerners will need to wait a while as Jake Song will want is baby to be right for the Western market which in my view is all the better.

p>