Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting ripped apart on Metacritic

Comments

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

Originally posted by Eladi

There will always be haters, its part of the time we live in. 

Even the new servers are packed,the old are packed, everyone is having a good time ,the only "hate" talk you find is in forums ,never ingame.

Might have something to do with people who don't enjoy the game aren't playing it.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by caalem

Even the new servers are packed,the old are packed, everyone is having a good time ,the only "hate" talk you find is in forums ,never ingame.

Might have something to do with people who don't enjoy the game aren't playing it.

by jove, you might be right!

(hehe)

• cakelizardcakelizard Member UncommonPosts: 63

its sad that i actually go off of the user reviews instead of the pro ones. why is that? well..

http://pc.ign.com/articles/918/918335p1.html

i had to read the negative reviews, not the scores , to see  why they dont like it. apparently its set up like GW1 was which was nearly lobby based/ Age of conan esque. im just not a fan of multiple servers on one server.

i havent  played the game, and i dont take time to rate a game i havent played. to shout the low user reviews are some sort of  conspiracy is border line absurd.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

doubtfull, complaining and hating starts ingame before it hits forums, also yo uwould see more hate before quit in the game chat channels.  and I seen no mayor this all sucks ingame at all . there a few technical issues people talk about now and then but for the greater parts is all  "OMG i love this game already!" type of talk.

/shrug, im off to bed and leave the forums to the haters who got nothing better to do ;)

doubtfull, complaining and hating starts ingame before it hits forums, also yo uwould see more hate before quit in the game chat channels.  and I seen no mayor this all sucks ingame at all . there af ew technical issues people talk about now and then but for the greater parts is all  "OMG i love this game already!" type of talk.

/shrug, im off to bed and leave the forums to the haters who got nothing better to do ;)

If I don't like a game, I tend to not play it. Just saying.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by Loekii

Originally posted by rygard49

I don't think you can ever get an accurate average when people who haven't even played the game are rating it. There are literally reviews there that begin with the words, 'i didn't even play this game'.

I would be willing to venture a guess that a majority of the negative reviews were created by people who haven't, and will never, play this game. So why should these scores matter to anyone, positive or negative? If someone is going to this website and using it as a metric to decide what games to purchase based off user ratings, they're idiots.

It is not as if TOR is radically different than any other MMO out there, so no one could even form an opinion simply by looking at what is offered, what is seen in the videos, and what is not included.

Restricting reviews to only those that have played the game, immediately biases the results to people that were already interested enough to purchase the game -- leaving all those opinions out from those that were not motivated by the Hype or were able to make a decisions simply upon the presentation.

It is like how you know who you would and would not date, without having to actually go out on a date with them.

You can't review what you haven't played, plain and simple. There's no objectivity. That you think it's okay to just read what someone else has to say about a game and then post about it in a 'review' is actually kind of shocking. But, you don't really think that, right?

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

If people didn't like the game there wouldn't be a hour long wait on half of them during primetime (to log in).

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

A lot of the people posting on metacritic only have one review, and that's for SW:TOR. If that's not trolling I don't know what is.

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

Originally posted by Jyiiga

If people didn't like the game there wouldn't be a hour long wait on half of them during primetime (to log in).

I haven't played the game, so I wouldn't know how good the game is(I got into the beta twice, but I had account problems both times - took bioware over 2 weeks to get back to me via customer service both time.), but judging how good a game is by howmany players are playing during the opening week in an MMO is pretty dumb.

If I remember correctly, WAR had 1.8m copies sold in the first month and opened nearly a hundred servers - with queue times everywhere. 2-3 months later it was a ghost-town. I think they have 2 servers now.

fixed because I'm tired.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

User reviews mean everything to a game.

Only to the people who actually agree with that particular user.  And honestly I am skeptical of any review of a game that's posted on it's release date and am even more skeptical of reviews to any game that would appear on a site like this one.  MMORPG players are notoriously defensive of everything they believe including whether or not a particular game sucks.

I mean just a few months back there was a huge conspiracy here where some game (I think Darkfall or maybe even Mortal online) was getting something like 100 times more hits than GW2 and TOR combined if people would be petty enough to try an end around on something so trivial I certainly wouldn't put it past internet folk to purposely rate a game as bad just to prove a point.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Magter

A lot of the people posting on metacritic only have one review, and that's for SW:TOR. If that's not trolling I don't know what is.

Umm...there are people from both camps doing this.   Not just the negative posters...but positive posters as well.  Doesn't matter, in the end it balances out.  If the fans keep giving the game 10's the detractors will keep giving it 0's and it'll get the score it deserves - a 5 or a 6 at best.

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

And of those people who criticize it, it is virtually the same complaint.  It is a WoW clone which the game isn't.  I missed the part in WoW where conversations with quest NPCs lead to different results, or space combat, or many of the other things that are a part of SW:TOR that don't resemble anything in other MMOs.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

lol WOW the fanboi excuses are funny.  It's a conspiracy!  User reviews mean nothing!  They shouldn't have a score on launch day!  etc etc.

Whatever...... I will agree that a bunch of 0's and 1's are a little silly, I gave it a 5.  But the game is the definition of mediocrity after the story.  I think a lot of the low scores are because people are angry about how underwhelming the game actually is. 

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Restricting reviews to only those that have played the game, immediately biases the results to people that were already interested enough to purchase the game 

Bullshit. It "biases" the results to people who've acutally played the game and know what the hell they're talking about.

By your argument, I should be able to sit down and write up a long, detailed review of EVE because of other reviews I've read and videos I've seen, even though I've never once installed or played the game. After all, it's not like I haven't played MMO's for the past 12 years. I should know what to expect, right?

If you're going to review a game, play it first. WTF.

• Diablo4783Diablo4783 Member Posts: 34

getting hatred on metacritic is a good thing.  modern warfare 3 got destroyed, and it sold 12.5 million copies or something ridiculous in it's first week.  so obviously they are laughing all the way to the bank.  mmo's get even more hate then other genres and the star wars brand can be extremely polarizing as well.  i am not in any way implying that tor will sell 12.5 million copies, i am just saying hatred by the masses on metacritic can mean a hugely popular sucess as far as numbers go.  and like it or not, population numbers is probably the number one gauge of success for an mmorpg. 

uber black and red temple of nod gaming case
    4 fuckin gigs of random access memory
    ge force chopper sick balls over 9000 vid card bra
    holy shit im bragging about my computer to play mmo's processor!

Originally posted by Silacoid

And of those people who criticize it, it is virtually the same complaint.  It is a WoW clone which the game isn't.  I missed the part in WoW where conversations with quest NPCs lead to different results, or space combat, or many of the other things that are a part of SW:TOR that don't resemble anything in other MMOs.

It's not a wow clone - it's a theme park clone.  You can add a few diferent cherries on top just like RIFT did with rifts, but ultimately it's the same ole sundae.  People are getting more and more tired of it. 

Originally posted by Teala

Umm...there are people from both camps doing this.   Not just the negative posters...but positive posters as well.  Doesn't matter, in the end it balances out.  If the fans keep giving the game 10's the detractors will keep giving it 0's and it'll get the score it deserves - a 5 or a 6 at best.

Yep, and that's where it is right now, just a little over 5

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Jyiiga

That is because Bioware is playing it safe and not adding more servers.   Rift had queues as well, so do most new launches, it is not indicative of a games over all success or failure - that comes 3 to 6 months after launch.   And besides, what constitutes failure.  I think if SW:TOR retains 350k to 500k players it should be considered successful.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

haters gonna hate

i say 7/10 for a solid on the rails adventure 

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

I'm personally disappointed that it's another themepark MMO - another WoW reskin(call WoW an EQ clone if you will - I don't care.). I really want some diversity in my favorite video game genre, since 2004 it's been so dry.

I've clocked more hours into Lineage2 than any modern MMO in the past year.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Lidane

Restricting reviews to only those that have played the game, immediately biases the results to people that were already interested enough to purchase the game 

It "biases" the results to people who've acutally played the game and know what the hell they're talking about.

Again, it is not such a complex subject, that people cannot understand it unless they experience it first hand.

It is a simple video game, using simple concepts that we see in other video games.  Putting 2 and 2 together is something that most people can do by themselves. 

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by Teala

If character creation was something worth talking about (with aliens and all), I'd give a +1 to that. Don't play this game solo, and  immerse yourself in the story and I'll say + 1 again. So pretty much 7 at best for me, which is pretty high since I rare the majority of  MMORPGS at 4 - 5 :) and spend about that many hours on them.

I would like to give up to an 8, but that depends on how well future content is covered....lots of possibilities there...

I am also experiencing just as many bugs as I had during beta, some of them being ones I reported on...

• PKJackCrowPKJackCrow Member Posts: 231

yet i find it funny that the players are always on here defending. if the game is that engaging you would think you wouldnt even be here to worry about it. i guess that should also go for the people who" only have a couple hours to play each day" yet i seem to see them patrolling here all the time.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Again, it is not such a complex subject, that people cannot understand it unless they experience it first hand.

It is a simple video game, using simple concepts that we see in other video games.  Putting 2 and 2 together is something that most people can do by themselves. 

What a bunch of horseshit. Truly.

So I can review anything at all just because I've read or seen other things that are similar? Great! I'll be sure to review every book on Amazon that i can, even if I haven't read it yet. After all, I've read books before. They're just a collection of words on pages. Simple enough.

I'll be able to write reviews of every movie that comes out because I've seen films before, too. And I guess that means I'll be able to trash Guild Wars 2 or ArcheAge now, without playing them at all, because I've played MMOs before. 

Sweet! Being able to review things without experiencing them is going to be awesome. I'll get to talk out of my ass without any accountability at all, since hey -- it's all a simple concept that anyone can put together.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/335872/No-Endgame-Really.html

I wonder how many other people formed opinions based on the hokum that misinformation tried to peddle them.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.