Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We know who won

This game environment is shown as where its years before we know the truth, where the jedi have already won, now people who claim this is a strory aspect, think about this no matter what you do jedi win in the end, so this so called story you speak of where does this falll where are you a true hero, and where does this game make a stand point where the story actually says hey all the movies/books are nothing this is where the story begins and this is why the universe is the way it is.

/discuss

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

because this is an MMORPG with two factions, doesn't that pretty much mean that the story is really destined to go no where?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

First, this game is non canon. Second, a story is still a story even if you know how it ends. Third, many people are participating in this story for the ride...it doesn't matter where they end up, as the fun is in the time spent getting there. Fourth, this game wasn't advertised as some kind of mmo where you can affect the Star Wars universe later on or affect who wins in the original trilogy of movies, so I don't know why you would expect that anyway.

This game is a themepark. It's meant for immediate self gratification and enjoyment...not some kind of hope that your character will one day affect the Republic in some kind of huge way.

"...where does this game make a stand point where the story actually says hey all the movies/books are nothing this is where the story begins and this is why the universe is the way it is."

I'm unsure what you mean by this question. Can you expand on it or ask it another way?

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Why did you watch Star Wars episode I, II and III? I know you did it.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by sammyeli

This game environment is shown as where its years before we know the truth, where the jedi have already won, now people who claim this is a strory aspect, think about this no matter what you do jedi win in the end, so this so called story you speak of where does this falll where are you a true hero, and where does this game make a stand point where the story actually says hey all the movies/books are nothing this is where the story begins and this is why the universe is the way it is.

/discuss

No offense dude, but I've heard some truly dumb arguments against the TOR story aspect, but this takes the cake.  

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

Darth Vader dies in the end.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Originally posted by Afterlife

Now you have spoiled the game for me!! And right on it's 1st day!!

You owe me 50Eur!!

• steelfrenzysteelfrenzy Member Posts: 147

He's the green guy, right?

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by steelfrenzy

He's the green guy, right?

Yes.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

I am just saying, there are a lot of people over-hyped about the story, but in the end even if the empire do all they can, its a no go for them.

I mean I guess this is  a a smal portion of the story and thats all they wanted to release and thats all great.

But the hardcore fans out there shunning everyone who isnt going through the story like it even matters or its something spectacular, that is why I raise the question.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630
    Our world probably will end eventually so does this make our lives meaningless?

talking about a game and its over hyped story not the world and how fans of it bash anyone thats just spacebarring through it.

Carl Sagan-

• Wookiee6648Wookiee6648 Member Posts: 131

@ OP no you don't know who really won.  Star Wars Universe is still going on in books and comics and have kept a nicely coherent story line.     

True it seems the Jedi will win in SW universe (unless you played SWG then you all lose ha ha)  but there is a lot of story written from even before the KotoR games.    Anyway the point of the story is to make your own choices have different outcomes.

But if you are basing the ToR off of the movies and games you most likely haven't read 90% of the SW Universe lore and what went on and whats going on even now.

doubt you even care seems more and more you just like bashing the game.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

What I get from the OP is that the journey is not worth taking if you know the destination. So don't go to Hawaii, you can see pics from your desk?

Before TOR, we didn't know the Sith would return and start THIS war. We still don't know what will happen over the next few hundred years. Eventually, the Sith will be gone, reduced to just 2 at one time. Eventually, the Jedi will be reduced to less than a handful throughout the galaxy. Eventually, one whiny, force sensative farmer will rebuild the entire Jedi order nearly single-handedly.

But none of that matters if you've read Legacy of the Force?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

/discuss

The comma is strong in this one. Unfortunately, the period (and any other punctuation) is not.

It doesn't really matter how the story of the world comes out because the important part is the story of your character (or class). The important part is how your character gets there.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Age of Empires was wildly successful, yet every single battle has already happened, you cant change the outcome for real.

Every single movie tie in game, you already know the outcome.

All that matters is what your person manages to accomplish during their lifetime, much like real life.

Does anyone really care about making a tangible difference in a virtual world? I thought people just enjoyed playing games with fun mechanics.

Heres a newsflash, nothing you have ever done in a MMO has ever made an actual difference to the game world.

Originally posted by lizardbones

/discuss

The comma is strong in this one. Unfortunately, the period (and any other punctuation) is not.

It doesn't really matter how the story of the world comes out because the important part is the story of your character (or class). The important part is how your character gets there.

I actaully wrote this last night while I was semi drunk and tired. It came to me because I was reading some chats in twitch.tv  of people just bashing this guy because he was skipping the story. 

Carl Sagan-

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109

After the pvp i Have been playing I would beg to differ we know anything >_<. All it seems take is me healing and at times another on our side and we pretty much win because noone on the light side seems to heal in pvp. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

talking about a game and its over hyped story not the world and how fans of it bash anyone thats just spacebarring through it.

I really haven't seen anyone bashing those doing that, instead typcially it just gets a facepalm, or a generalization that this obviously isn't their game.

People can play it how they want, but I think it will look slightly foolish to space-bar their way to end-game then complain they got there too fast and there was no substance to the journey. IMO of course...

It's pretty much like those who rush their way through the main plot of an TES game, then complain it was a shallow experience.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones

/discuss

I actaully wrote this last night while I was semi drunk and tired. It came to me because I was reading some chats in twitch.tv  of people just bashing this guy because he was skipping the story. 

Heh! You seem to spell fairly well while drunk typing. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Voracity2325Voracity2325 Member Posts: 40

1st of all, the statement this game is non-canon is incorrect. This game is in no way in contradiction to the original trilogy, prequels or any other works directly associated with George Lucas (meaning his direct involvement in the story, not just his approval/approval from LucasFilm or whatever they go by now). 2nd, with shifts in the balance of power of Jedi and Sith over the timeline nobody but George Lucas can declare who has the ultimate victory. If he has done so feel free to correct me and provide the resource.

For most people, character development and personal story ends upon clicking "Log in" if not "Start Game"

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

It's odd to think of it that way, to be honest.

The jedi don't really "win" in a continuous universe.  It's always a universal struggle.  As has probably been done to death in the books, there's always gonna be a Sith somewhere hiding out in deep space, waiting for the right time to strike.  For all we know, in another 2000 years after the battle of yavin, the Empire might retake control again.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Robsolf

The jedi don't really "win" in a continuous universe.  It's always a universal struggle.  As has probably been done to death in the books, there's always gonna be a Sith somewhere hiding out in deep space, waiting for the right time to strike.  For all we know, in another 2000 years after the battle of yavin, the Empire might retake control again.

How do you pull that off story-wise in an MMO with millions of players (of which around 60% are Sith)?

By definition the conflict must be never-ending and the world static and in conflict.

Its not like WoW where the factions can enter uneasy truces or fight a greater evil...

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

For a thousend generations the jedi where the guardians of the peace, before the dark times, before the empire. Obi Wan Kenobi.

Thats approx 3000-3500 years counting back. So the Sith in our story will go the way of the Do-Do....

bah... its more like 30000-35000 years? I gotta stop drinking.....

My point crashed and burned.....

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by Robsolf

How do you pull that off story-wise in an MMO with millions of players (of which around 60% are Sith)?

By definition the conflict must be never-ending and the world static and in conflict.

Its not like WoW where the factions can enter uneasy truces or fight a greater evil...

Simple. Put a giant thousand year gap in between the wars of the old republic and the next major event on the timeline. That way no matter who wins, in the end there is always will be enough time to make a recovery and keep everything canon.

For most people, character development and personal story ends upon clicking "Log in" if not "Start Game"

And according to the timeline, that gap is something they definetly do have.