Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars and a dated concept of futuristic.

Now I am about to say some things which people might consider trolling but I assure you I am not, just pointing out something that turns me off to the entire Star Wars universe. Star Wars was made way back in the 70s and it's visual concept of what is futurisitc is kind of dated by today's standards. Now I know Star Wars is not the future but a galaxy far far away but you get what I mean. These days I would consider Mass Effect futuristic in it's visual style. The fact Star Wars looks so dated makes it dificult to enjoy anything from that universe including this game. Anybody else feel this way or am I just wierd?

Comments

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Star Wars isn't sci-fi and was never meant to be realistic.  It's fantasy.  It's not a 70's concept of the future since it's set "a long time ago."

• Relentless02Relentless02 Member UncommonPosts: 126

I should clarify, it's concept of advanced technology looks dated.

• PaincakePaincake Member Posts: 139

You're not alone on this.. or perhaps the two of us are. I find Mass Effect very appealing Sci-Fi atmosphere got me into the game. While even though I'm doing my best to enjoy the Star Wars universe I can't. It seems ME and SW are catered to different demographics. I wouldn't even compare them. Imo SW is an outdated concept in todays society. ME fits better.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I see what you mean but I really like the retro-ness. Art style and direction is really spot on to capture that 70's sci-fi look and feel.

• VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by Relentless02

Now I am about to say some things which people might consider trolling but I assure you I am not, just pointing out something that turns me off to the entire Star Wars universe. Star Wars was made way back in the 70s and it's visual concept of what is futurisitc is kind of dated by today's standards. Now I know Star Wars is not the future but a galaxy far far away but you get what I mean. These days I would consider Mass Effect futuristic in it's visual style. The fact Star Wars looks so dated makes it dificult to enjoy anything from that universe including this game. Anybody else feel this way or am I just wierd?

Funny that you mention Mass Effect, because that game itself is VERY retrofuturistic. Especially the first one.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I should clarify, it's concept of advanced technology looks dated.

From an aesthetic point of view, even tho I'm not the biggest SW fan, I appreciate it.

I feel its intentional, like the retro-future look of Fallout and the 30s look of Bioshock.

SW:TOR aesthetically doesn't appeal to me (due to the cellshaded look), but the overal aesthetic of starwars is fine.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Wierd is not the word I would use. Anywho, You answered you own question. "In a gallaxy far far away." In no way was it ever ment to mimic our reality or perception of the future. You're trying to fit a sqaured block into a circle. Mental tramma ensures. However, not becuase Star Wars is some how at fault. 

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• GeobardiGeobardi Member Posts: 68

The people don't seem to understand that the whole Star Wars universe is not sci-fi, and it never was, it's Space Fantasy, that's why we love it so much, you can call it Space Opera too, but never, ever call it sci-fi, there is nothing scientific to sustent the technology, the races and the worlds of Star Wars, that's why it has it's unique aesthetics and feeling, if you want sci-fi, you must look at Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, Babylon 5, etc...

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

I quite like the Star Wars style personally, there's no denying it's recognisable and certainly it's own creature.

There's plenty of super slick sci fi creations out there that are genuinly-science fiction rather than science-fantasy as Star Wars is, but not many of those appeal to me. I never really considered Star Wars as attempting to create a realistic portrayal of the future or 'a' future, I just accept it as it's own Sci-Fantasy universe.

It's a good thing that people have different tastes, not bad.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Any sci-fi universe which contains aliens with furry or otherwise funny looking heads mounted on humanoid bodies is dated --  including Mass Effect, Star Trek, Star Wars, ...

REALITY CHECK

• DeskjetDeskjet Member UncommonPosts: 20

That's kinda like saying Tolkeins concept of dwarves is outdated at this stage, thanks to DA2.

It's different I suppose... dated? Yea well... dated as in the monitor indicator light being green insread of "contemporary high tech feel blue" is dated.

Originally posted by tyrannis

Wierd is not the word I would use. Anywho, You answered you own question. "In a gallaxy far far away." In no way was it ever ment to mimic our reality or perception of the future. You're trying to fit a sqaured block into a circle. Mental tramma ensures. However, not becuase Star Wars is some how at fault. 

This has nothing to do with the fact that SW world is long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. OP is talking about a stylistic approach that was typical for SF fiction of that time.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by Thillian

Any sci-fi universe which contains aliens with furry or otherwise funny looking heads mounted on humanoid bodies is dated --  including Mass Effect, Star Trek, Star Wars, ...

Really?

While I don't believe anything without indisputable proof, my own imaginings seem to agree that if any species were to develop, especially in an ecosystem very similar to ours somewhere in the millions and millions of miles worth of the unknown galaxies, that evolution dictates they'd progress roughly along the same path and something that I don't think is such a giant leap for science fiction.

• MattNeMattNe Member Posts: 90

What is 'alive' then?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I think you are mistaking what goes for "dated concept of the future" and what just a plain ol' story.

This is just a story, these are the c haracters, it's not really sci-fi in that it has nothing to do with man's relation to science and the consequences of that relationship.

It's not trying to portray "science and how life might evolve" or science or anything remotely clost to it. It's just about story.

It's about what it's about.

If the stories are good then it really doesn't matter. That's why watching the old star trek episodes, for me, is still entertaining. Becuase despite low budet and rubber masks, the story is good.

Also, I grew up in the early 70's and trust me, there was other types of aliens other than the rubber face kind. Heck, the blob, whcih came earlier was, er, a blob.

This is just a version of "once upon a time" and doesn't need to be anything more.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think you are mistaking what goes for "dated concept of the future" and what just a plain ol' story.

This is just a story, these are the c haracters, it's not really sci-fi in that it has nothing to do with man's relation to science and the consequences of that relationship.

It's not trying to portray "science and how life might evolve" or science or anything remotely clost to it. It's just about story.

It's about what it's about.

If the stories are good then it really doesn't matter. That's why watching the old star trek episodes, for me, is still entertaining. Becuase despite low budet and rubber masks, the story is good.

Also, I grew up in the early 70's and trust me, there was other types of aliens other than the rubber face kind. Heck, the blob, whcih came earlier was, er, a blob.

This is just a version of "once upon a time" and doesn't need to be anything more.

This here pretty much answers it. I had this same conversation with a friend of mine that likes Sci-Fi and not Fantasy cause it is a glimpse into the future. This is just a story, there are a lot of things that can still be considered within the sci-fi genre and that could potray something in the future but at the end of the day that is all the sci-fi out there.

So just take it as it is really a good story.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Verterdegete

This has nothing to do with the fact that SW world is long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. OP is talking about a stylistic approach that was typical for SF fiction of that time.

There was nothing typical about the Star War Universe back then or even now. he's not talking about that. He said "Visual concept of what is futuristic."  The key word is futuristic here. Star Wars  isn't  / wasn't trying to be  futuristic . Not sure why that concept is hard to understand.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

Originally posted by Valkaern

Really?

While I don't believe anything without indisputable proof, my own imaginings seem to agree that if any species were to develop, especially in an ecosystem very similar to ours somewhere in the millions and millions of miles worth of the unknown galaxies, that evolution dictates they'd progress roughly along the same path and something that I don't think is such a giant leap for science fiction.

Do you realize that even the slightest change in the gravitation force in such planet would mean a huge difference in the skeleton and muscles of a body (anatomy) leading to totally different shapes and builds, and even under the ridiculous assumption that all conditions were the same as on Earth, the probability that the evolution would go the same way again is practically zero. You shouldn't read that much sci-fi and occassionally check what the science has actually got to say on the matter.

REALITY CHECK

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by DarkPony

I see what you mean but I really like the retro-ness. Art style and direction is really spot on to capture that 70's sci-fi look and feel.

Same here. I grew up with films and TV shows like Star Wars, Logan's Run, Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers so that kind of defined Sci-Fi for me. When I see that style, I immediately think Sci-Fi. However, newer generations have had a much different  expereince with the genre. Mass Effect, the newer Star Trek movies and even the Aliens/Pedator stuff as a darker, more gritty sci-fi experience.  Contributing to that is that the 70's was more sci-fi fantasy (see: Space Opera) and the stuff that followed took more of a dystopian, technological or apocalyptic approach.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Really?

Do you realize that even the slightest change in the gravitation force in such planet would mean a huge difference in the skeleton and muscles of a body (anatomy) leading to totally different shapes and builds, and even under the ridiculous assumption that all conditions were the same as on Earth, the probability that the evolution would go the same way again is practically zero. You shouldn't read that much sci-fi and occassionally check what the science has actually got to say on the matter.

This really goes way beyond the scope of this thread but if you think in terms of the universe and its planets then that near zero becomes millions of planets that have exactly those features. So I wouldnt really scratch it off the list just yet, specially cause our notion of known universe is so tiny. We will never know not in our lifetime at least.

Originally posted by rav3n2

Really?

This really goes way beyond the scope of this thread but if you think in terms of the universe and its planets then that near zero becomes millions of planets that have exactly those features. So I wouldnt really scratch it off the list just yet, specially cause our notion of known universe is so tiny. We will never know not in our lifetime at least.

The probability is still practically zero, if you take that out of 20 aliens, 19 of them would have the same humanoid body with slightly modified head  (furry or with white tubes running out of it or greeny with pointy ears, or whatever), which is the basic setup of those three sci-fi universes I mentioned. 

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by Verterdegete

There was nothing typical about the Star War Universe back then or even now. he's not talking about that. He said "Visual concept of what is futuristic."  The key word is futuristic here. Star Wars  isn't  / wasn't trying to be  futuristic . Not sure why that concept is hard to understand.

I guess it's a matter of perception, but tbh Star Wars was, at least visually, very similar to other Sci Fi fiction of that time.

• thorntonthornton Member Posts: 60

Well, you know that thing about opinions and anus's.  Not everyone likes the same things and personally I don't what people think about my opinion.  So to ask if you're weird, who cares really.  It's like asking in general chat in a game, will I like such and such class.  Then you get all of the opinions of people who their opinions are a dated concept of  fact.  I say do what you want, like what you want, and don't worry about what other people think.  I mean I disagree.  Knights, swords and combat on mounts and with canons all happened a long time ago, before Star Wars.  So what's dated now?

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by geobardi

The people don't seem to understand that the whole Star Wars universe is not sci-fi, and it never was, it's Space Fantasy, that's why we love it so much, you can call it Space Opera too, but never, ever call it sci-fi, there is nothing scientific to sustent the technology, the races and the worlds of Star Wars, that's why it has it's unique aesthetics and feeling, if you want sci-fi, you must look at Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, Babylon 5, etc...

It's under sci-fi  ....   if you take out the jedi and the sith... you pretty much have a sci fi genre.

Add them in and you have a sci fi with fantasy elements... but since they tried explaining the force (LOL)  I'd call it more sci fi than fantasy now...

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Mass Effect (..) as a darker, more gritty sci-fi experience. 

I really don't understand why do people think that Mass Effect is modern and contemporary futuristic.

Play a Tangerine Dream tune in the background, and take any sci fi magazine/artbook from the late 70' and early 80' and you will know what i'm talking about.

RUBYCON

PS: In the "Making of.." documentary, they said that they actually wanted to avoid that dark, gritty feel of modern Sci Fi.