Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game could have been so much more

Comments

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by Loekii

Originally posted by Requiamer

...games fail because they don't respond to the market need, not because they are sandboxes or themepark...

Agreed.

It is basic Business.    If  a developer does not present a game that meets what the customers desire, the customer stops paying for the game/sub. 

All this stuff about how customers are the problem, is like the fat slob claiming women are just too picky, as the reason he is not getting dates.    Blaming the customer is just fanboism.   It is not the customers' responsiblity to 'tolerate' nor 'accept' what they do not care to.   They are not obligated to give the company a chance.

It is the company's role to attract and entertain the customer, if they want the customer to give them money.

And seeing as you are a fellow 40k fan... We have been sh*t on enough by GW to know this to be true lol.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Siveria

All and all I think they should have skiped the voice acting except maybe for class quests and focused more on making the gameplay actually interesting to play.

I agree.

It sounds like they have made a very restricted experience, even more restricted than other themeparks.   Had they grated more freedom - even like WoW  themepark (which is what I was expecting).    It certainly does sound like they simply make KotoR3 and made it multiplayer - in the sense of how you may progress through the worlds.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

All this stuff about how customers are the problem, is like the fat slob claiming women are just too picky, as the reason he is not getting dates.    Blaming the customer is just fanboism.

Sure, every customer screaming "The customer is always right!!!" while jumping up and down on the Italian marble tile and screaming with rage is a completely reasonable person.  (That actually happened, by the way.  A grandmother, I kid you not.).

Anyone who's ever worked in CS can give you a thousand stories where the customers were not "right", not reasonable, not adult (regardless of age), or not capable of being rational.

They are not obligated to give the company a chance.

True.  It's also true that customers are not obligated to pontificate against the product (though many may choose to).  If you don't like it, don't buy it--I agree completely.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Zarynterk

Originally posted by onthestick

Originally posted by Zarynterk

SOE NEVER admitted to a "sharp decline" as you put it... Because it would have validated what MOST players were saying about the NGE/CU... I am starting to think you never played pre-NGE/CU Galaxies as you claim; SWG vets, especially beta players like myself can always tell the posers by what they say... As for your second point, that was the ENTIRE issue, SOE and LA didn't feel like their game was "heroic" enough and decided to WoW'up the game thinking they could cash in on the burgeoning craze...

Smedly actually admitted the sharp decline in player base.... and that was the reason behind NGE 

This proves to me beyond a shadow of a doubt, you have no clue as to what happened with SWG...

Because you made such a convincing argument....ok!

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• segmentfaultsegmentfault Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Yamota
    For example, what if Bioware took all the money they spent on voice acting and instead tried to create an interesting persistant world. I for one think the game would be much better as a result, a much better MMORPG that is. After all, what do I care about voice acting? I can watch a real movie if I want some acting.

If you don't like the lore and story line with Star Wars you won't like the story and voice acting. For me though, I've been wanting something like this for a long, long time. For example, I love getting in to games like Mass Effect, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, and wished to hell there was a multiplayer function to those games. Finally it seems that SWTOR has done this.

If what you want is a MMORPG to level to max level, skip all the content and start to PVP, then you're looking for WoW or WaR or something else along those lines.

I'm not saying one genre is better than another, they just appeal to different types of crowds. SWTOR from the get go is supposed to appeal to the more mature crowd.. people who want to enjoy the experience and remember what MMORPGs used to be along time ago, where lore actually meant something because people loved it.

Why do you think Everquest 2, after all these years (going on 8 now,) still has 10+ servers that experience heavy loads on a daily basis? Because the content and lore are so amazing on that MMO that it is still the golden standard.

I for one welcome that SWTOR isn't catered to the lowest common denominator for once.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Siveria

All and all I think they should have skiped the voice acting except maybe for class quests and focused more on making the gameplay actually interesting to play.

I agree.

It sounds like they have made a very restricted experience, even more restricted than other themeparks.   Had they grated more freedom - even like WoW  themepark (which is what I was expecting).    It certainly does sound like they simply make KotoR3 and made it multiplayer - in the sense of how you may progress through the worlds.

Yep pretty much all you said is what i think too. But it was to be expected really, if you played any of the Bioware solo game, its pretty obvious they offer a very stiff experience (it doesn't mean its a bad one right, just stiff), so it is really not strange their mmo is even more on rail than any usual themepark.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Originally posted by rav3n2
    ...blah

And dont tell me that is not possible. Eve has that and it is made by an indy company. For sure a big money mega corp could do something (tecnnologically) better then Eve, if they wanted to.

Eve doesn't render ground and multi-bones player and NPC skeletons with varying textures, either. When all EVE is rendering is space and non-bone space ships, it's easy to have thousands in the same instance. You can't compare the two completly different rendering techs and environments - at least not intelligently.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437

The game falls to deliver on many of the minimum requirements that MMO players have come to expect from modern titles. There is virtually no character visual customization, and that has to be in the top 3 features that players expect. Every pet is a Mako or one of the other 7 available choices. It's not so immersive to see a forest of your own personal companion standing behind every tree. The pew-pew combat is about as basic as it gets. In my opinion the only redeeming aspect of the game is the cut-scenes, voice acting and story line. That aspect is superb actually, and is enough of a reason to play through the game once. I don't see a huge future for SWTOR.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Anyone who's ever worked in CS can give you a thousand stories where the customers were not "right", not reasonable, not adult (regardless of age), or not capable of being rational.

And every business owner -- rather than the clerk making min wage -- will tell you the reason behind the notion 'the customer is always right'.   It is simply about retaining and satisfying customers, so they will patron the business. 

Sure there are some customers you cannot please, no matter how accomidating, however, the vast majority of customers can be pleased, especially with a little effort on the part of the business to attract/retain those customers.

In the MMORPG market, customers that quit or do not patron a product, usually are not being unreasonable in their expectations.   It is just like the how the non-rpger are not being unreasonable when they choose to not patron a RPG.   It simply is not fun enough.

So again, MMORPGs that 'fail', do so, not because of the big bad evil trolls and haters, but rather simply their product was not fun enough to retain the customers dollar.

Originally posted by Timzilla

There is virtually no character visual customization, and that has to be in the top 3 features that players expect.

Were that true, AIon and CoX would be the biggest selling games in history, not WoW.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

If you don't agree with the OP, that's fine, but there's no need to bait or flame him. There are ways to disagree in a civil manner. Cleaning up this thread now. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Sounds like the OP wanted a cross between SWG and EVE.

EVE is a good game but not to my liking personally. I played it for a while but could not get into it. I am glad that space combat in SWTOR is more like the movie expereience than a Sandbox spacegame.

SWG failed for a reason. It was not doing well before NGE and did worse after. While I appreciate the loyalty to the game there were lots of reasons why SWG is gone and SWTOR is here.

SWTOR is a great game but it is not SWG 2 and for that I am glad.

I am loving SWTOR. It is exactly what was advertised...KOTOR + ME2/ Dragon Age dialogue and companions + MMO.

Flashpoints are WAY better than Dungeons in other games and MUCH more enjoyable to me.

Any game could be more but I love what SWTOR IS.

Originally posted by Icewhite

And every business owner -- rather than the clerk making min wage -- will tell you the reason behind the notion 'the customer is always right'.   It is simply about retaining and satisfying customers, so they will patron the business. 

Chuckle.  Don't think you've ever managed a CS staff, have you?  No matter, it's a digression anyway.

So again, MMORPGs that 'fail', do so, not because of the big bad evil trolls and haters, but rather simply their product was not fun enough to retain the customers dollar.

Good, we agree.  So what's the point of all the complaining then?

• segmentfaultsegmentfault Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Timzilla
    The pew-pew combat is about as basic as it gets. In my opinion the only redeeming aspect of the game is the cut-scenes, voice acting and story line. That aspect is superb actually, and is enough of a reason to play through the game once. I don't see a huge future for SWTOR.

Well said. I'm hoping that is the revenue is enough, that the game will expand and evolve like AO did.. adding new features as it went along. After the dust settles I can see them adding so many new features in that it'd be insane.

The average MMORPG costs around $10 million to develop. If they were to add in every single aspect right away, the game would go the way of Duke Nukem 3D and never get released until it was too late.

The idea is to release the game so that it has enough features in it to keep the playerbase happy for at least half a year while they can put the polish on the rest of the game.

The real question is though.. when they bring those updates out.. will they include them as an expansion pack or give new features to the subscribers for free? Being EA, I'm sure they'll charge for the littlest thing.. that will piss a ton of people right off and that's when the MMORPG will start to fail.

Valve needs to release a MMORPG. They'd do it right.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Some years ago there was a game out, dont remember exactly the name..something with millenium if iam not wrong. You could fly space ships with a real space environment but the thing was you could also land on planets and drive vehicles down there....such an mmo would be cool.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by spizz

Some years ago there was a game out, dont remember exactly the name..something with millenium if iam not wrong. You could fly space ships with a real space environment but the thing was you could also land on planets and drive vehicles down there....such an mmo would be cool.

Precursors?

Parkan 1+2?

Originally posted by segmentfault

For example, what if Bioware took all the money they spent on voice acting and instead tried to create an interesting persistant world. I for one think the game would be much better as a result, a much better MMORPG that is. After all, what do I care about voice acting? I can watch a real movie if I want some acting.

If you don't like the lore and story line with Star Wars you won't like the story and voice acting. For me though, I've been wanting something like this for a long, long time. For example, I love getting in to games like Mass Effect, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, and wished to hell there was a multiplayer function to those games. Finally it seems that SWTOR has done this.

If what you want is a MMORPG to level to max level, skip all the content and start to PVP, then you're looking for WoW or WaR or something else along those lines.

I'm not saying one genre is better than another, they just appeal to different types of crowds. SWTOR from the get go is supposed to appeal to the more mature crowd.. people who want to enjoy the experience and remember what MMORPGs used to be along time ago, where lore actually meant something because people loved it.

Why do you think Everquest 2, after all these years (going on 8 now,) still has 10+ servers that experience heavy loads on a daily basis? Because the content and lore are so amazing on that MMO that it is still the golden standard.

I for one welcome that SWTOR isn't catered to the lowest common denominator for once.

I disagree.

This is like saying if you disliked the acting in one movie, then you must dilike the acting in all movies.

Just because BW has Voice Acting, doesn't mean it is great voice acting, nor that the script is beyond reproach.     Look at how many bad scripts get made - and that is just a small fraction of the ones written.   So it is not surprising to hear people are not thrilled by the quality of the VO.

I think EQ2 is doing well, not becuase of the VO's, but rather because the game as a whole is enjoyable to their customers.   I do not think EQ2 would be doing as well, if it suffered from the same criticisms that TOR is currently suffering from some reviewers (Overly linear storylines, narror zone paths, basic un-moddable UI, 8 painted human races, single weapon option per class, etc). 

Tl:dr - TOR's story and Voice acting is well within the range of critism, without meaning that the idea of story and VO's are bad.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by segmentfault

I disagree.

This is like saying if you disliked the acting in one movie, then you must dilike the acting in all movies.

Just because BW has Voice Acting, doesn't mean it is great voice acting, nor that the script is beyond reproach.     Look at how many bad scripts get made - and that is just a small fraction of the ones written.   So it is not surprising to hear people are not thrilled by the quality of the VO.

I think EQ2 is doing well, not becuase of the VO's, but rather because the game as a whole is enjoyable to their customers.   I do not think EQ2 would be doing as well, if it suffered from the same criticisms that TOR is currently suffering from some reviewers (Overly linear storylines, narror zone paths, basic un-moddable UI, 8 painted human races, single weapon option per class, etc). 

Tl:dr - TOR's story and Voice acting is well within the range of critism, without meaning that the idea of story and VO's are bad.

umm whats with you?   It's not good, nore is it bad.. but im still going to complain?

• Westside32Westside32 Member UncommonPosts: 29

OP what you fail to realize about Eve's seamless open world is that IT IS NOT seamless and open.  Eve is a series of  zones separtated from each other by jump gates.  You can not simply fly your ship from one zone to the next with out jumping through a gate.  Also Eve's zone are Mostly all black with little fine details. It is graphically easy to make space zones since there is little to no fine detail ie grass, trees, landscape, hills mountains etc.  Also In Eve every ship of same type is IDENTICAL in size, shape and graphics with no deviation.  So please stop comparing Eve and SWToR they are completely different games, with completely different demands on a computer.  IF SWToR tried to do what you are asking 70% of the people that are playing the game currently would not have the rig capable of making that game playable.  Every company that makes a so called next gen game with computer requirements that are high end reqs immediately eliminates a huge amount of subscribers, which in turn  leads to a huge money loss.  The fact is you want a hugely successful MMO you make it playable by as many PC users as possible which means you have to make playable and much larger range of computers.  Because here is a secret, the guy with the $2-3k rig is giving the company the same size subscription fee as the guy with the $600 rig.

Besides all that My wife and I are trully enjoying our time so far in SWTOR.  We are playing the game enjoying it for what it has and does offer.  I have not skipped a dialogue or story in the game and do not intend too until I begin to repeat them.  And to say if you want acting you will go watch a movie is kinda silly.   Seems with SWTOR "I CAN BE"  the movie which to me is completely awesome.  So far I can have it all a MMO, a continous story, and a continous movie/tv series, and it all stars me and my friends.  So while you may prefer a game where you can see 400+ people in a zone of which 95% of them you have no contact or interaction with no story or heroic feel to it.  I am enjoying a game where i see 100-200 of which 95% i still do not have contact or interact with but i get a story that is catered to make me feel heroic and like the game is about me and my friends.  So I guess it is all about preference and perspective.  So what your title of this post should start with "For me this game could have been SWG 2.0 or Star Wars Eve."    

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

It was the Battlecruiser series by Derek Smart :P I still have the cds for it. He is actually making an mmo for it, I believe. You can probably ask him since he posts on this forum.

BOOYAKA!

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by cyress8

It was the Battlecruiser series by Derek Smart :P I still have the cds for it. He is actually making an mmo for it, I believe. You can probably ask him since he posts on this forum.

Ya, but as I recall, he's like Candlejack, you have to say his name 3 times to get him to appear.

On topic: This thread is not new, every game comes out and a vocal minority start talking about how the game had so much more potential. Rather than enjoy what the game is, they only look to what the game doesn't offer them personally.  This holds even more true for games with well-established IPs.

I really don't think that if the game offered 7 more races, 4 more classes and a full on X-wing sim, the dissident minority would be any more appeased.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

I dont think TOR is a failure, but it certainly is not the success it should be.     Imo, there is alot of room for improvement, and I think a lot of it can be accomplished with out radical changes to the game.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Let's stay on topic guys, rehashing SWG's history is not the purpose of this thread, these posts will be removed.

I'd also like to add that you are not required to post in this or any discussion. So if you aren't interested in discussing what the OP has posted, please simply do not post in this thread. Thanks!

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

You're asking for 2 games in one- Eve Online and SWTOR. The damn thing hasn't even launched yet, give it some freakin time, jeez.

Originally posted by Zeal77

You're asking for 2 games in one- Eve Online and SWTOR. The damn thing hasn't even launched yet, give it some freakin time, jeez.

It has prelaunched, which is why we are seeing so much more feedback.   More and more people are seeing the game (first hand or secondhand), and thus are making their comments on what they are experiencing.

The general idea is to disucss the game, but also for some to toss around feedback ideas.