Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How about solo play in SWTOR now? (To those that played already)

I'm basically interested wheter is it possible to play solo through all levelling process, experience (most) of the levelling content and then jump into PvP (Warzones, is it?) without any issues (like having to grind PVE instances for weapons for example)?

The second question is wheter you feel like forced to do group content or you may skip it without any harsh consequences (like having significantly worse gear that those who had done all of the Flashpoints)?

Thanks for answers and please, don't make it into solo vs. group attitude in MMO's, it's just a plain question and we've been rolling over this subject so many times...

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation

Comments

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

You can solo all the way to the end if you really wanted to.  It starts to get a bit more difficult to solo later on since there aren't always enough quests to advance you to the next tier resulting in having to do some of the group quests.  If you are rolling in pvp warfronts frequently you shouldn't have to worry about grouping ever.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

You can solo as much, as little, as you want.  There ARE Heroic Missions and Flashpoints which are NOT solo-able.  If you're fine not doing those, then you'll be content.  I tend to solo, group up for those 1 or two quests needing it, and then go back to solo.  It's very smooth that way AND I don't miss content.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

SWTOR is basically a solo game with some multi player missions added on...

So yes you can play solo no problem at all

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

You can get through the whole game without ever interrracting with another player, ever. You get companions to fill any grouping void (well, almost any. Can't see a Flashpoint being completed solo, but Flashpoints are optional).

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Originally posted by Ikeda

You can solo as much, as little, as you want.  There ARE Heroic Missions and Flashpoints which are NOT solo-able.  If you're fine not doing those, then you'll be content.  I tend to solo, group up for those 1 or two quests needing it, and then go back to solo.  It's very smooth that way AND I don't miss content.

Heroics can be completed solo as long as you're taking your companion with you. Every heroic I've done it's been just me and my companion. You get through it faster with other players, but they're very much doable solo.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I think the solo part is the most complete, interesting and polished part of the game. If that's the main thing you're looking to do, then I think you will be happy.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• TenebrosoTenebroso Member Posts: 262

I would go with the Imperial Agent. Great story, sexy companion, and easy solo :)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Puuk

Heroics can be completed solo as long as you're taking your companion with you. Every heroic I've done it's been just me and my companion. You get through it faster with other players, but they're very much doable solo.

Hmmm... as you get higher in level, this becomes less and less the case.  Trying to run the 2+'s in Nar Shaddaa, for example.  There were just too many adds for me to get through them.  What started as a couple silvers and an elite became a 7 silver/elite mob show after patrols would come wandering in.

In starter areas though, they are a good thing to run on your own after you've completed all the other missions.  Very minimal patrolling, and silvers go down almost as easy at 2-3 levels up as even level weak mobs do.

• heimdall22heimdall22 Member UncommonPosts: 76

Thanks for all honest and quick answers :-)

Now, the second quick question that came to my mind is how long (practically speaking) does it take to finish Flashpoint. And is there any tool that helps to find players to do it or not?

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation

• heimdall22heimdall22 Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by NaughtyP

I think the solo part is the most complete, interesting and polished part of the game. If that's the main thing you're looking to do, then I think you will be happy.

Well, for most part of the year i play at, to say the least, awkward hours (midnight - 2 AM). And I have found that at this time of the day it isnt easy to find players to do the group content (PvP being exception) and on the top of that I'm reluctant to do anything that takes more than 1-1,5 hour in total (including waiting to get group going). So that's why I'm asking. So yes, solo content is kind of important to me and most often I enjoy it anyways.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

There is already a difference in solo play in the first ten levels when it comes to classes. Take for example the Agent class, I could do the whole story and first ten levels alone. The quests were not difficult.

With another class I had to group up a lot since several quests were needed for minimum 2 players, with difficult mini bosses. It was impossible to advance alone. 

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

You could definately solo the entire 50 levels and the storyline quests are awesome but you would definately be missing out on some good stuff. Heroics are great but often time require at least one other player to team up with. I LOVE the flashpoints. They are challenging and fun. So if you solo all the way you will miss that too.

I like to solo a bunch but I also like to do some PVP and group content. I think you miss a lot of the experience if you never do those things.

In regards to gear.  I have not seen that PVP gear is that much better BUT some of the best gear I have is from the Flashpoints. The other best gear is from Commendations from each planet which can be gotten both in solo play and group play. You can also buy the flashpoint  gear with commendations but they are costly that way.

To sum it up, I recommend mixing it up so that you get the whole experience. Gear is not that big of an issue but you miss out on some cool story line stuff from the Flashpoints and Heroics. Lastly, PVP is just fun.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by heimdall22

I'm basically interested wheter is it possible to play solo through all levelling process, experience (most) of the levelling content and then jump into PvP (Warzones, is it?) without any issues (like having to grind PVE instances for weapons for example)?

The second question is wheter you feel like forced to do group content or you may skip it without any harsh consequences (like having significantly worse gear that those who had done all of the Flashpoints)?

Thanks for answers and please, don't make it into solo vs. group attitude in MMO's, it's just a plain question and we've been rolling over this subject so many times...

For a more complete answer(than my previous one), I don't ever feel forced to group.  There's plenty of single player content to get to 50, particularly if you do alot of the "kill x" bonus missions.  Even if you don't, most planets have "Bonus series" missions which take the World questline a bit further.  These are easily good for a level or 2 on their own.  Just... whatever you do, do whatever it takes to get to 25th level before tatooinne!  Tat without a speeder is horrible!

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Puuk

Hmmm... as you get higher in level, this becomes less and less the case.  Trying to run the 2+'s in Nar Shaddaa, for example.  There were just too many adds for me to get through them.  What started as a couple silvers and an elite became a 7 silver/elite mob show after patrols would come wandering in.

In starter areas though, they are a good thing to run on your own after you've completed all the other missions.  Very minimal patrolling, and silvers go down almost as easy at 2-3 levels up as even level weak mobs do.

Agreed. Unless you are doing instance that is way lower your level. I dont think anyone can take on IronFist ( not that I know of ) in their late teen level character.

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    One thing I really like about this game is the Heroic 2man and 4man areas. I've completed 2 mans on my own, but all of 'em can be tricky.

You might attack what seems like a lone mob, but then two or three more come out of hiding and suddenly you're having to think about surviving the fight and using your skills wisely rather than button mashing through the encounter. This is something the developers did right and I hope they continue refining and improving the dynamics of these encounters.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

there is a reason many say this is a Singleplayer game with Multiplayer aspects.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

I'll tell you this. After MANY years of hating to do group content in the multitude of games out there, simply because that content was boring to me (walk to boss, get loot, walk to next boss, get more loot), I find this game to be exceptional on the group content so far. If you're one who enjoys the story, enjoys immersion, then group play in this game will most likely be something you will enjoy for once. So don't dicount it until you have given it a try here, this game is the only one in the past 3 years I have played where group content is something I look forward to doing more of and not avoiding it all together.

Just saying, it isnt the same as normal 'group' content.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Its a game where you solo most of the time then grab some people for the instanced flash points and heroic missions which are entirely skippable.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Originally posted by heimdall22

Why would you buy a MMO at full price...sub to that MMO each month and then play solo? What a waste of cash and time lol. If your looking for a solo game go buy Skyrim or any Rockstar game ffs. As an added bonus you wont have to deal with all the geeky star wars kiddies lol

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• Originally posted by Kaocan

I'll tell you this. After MANY years of hating to do group content in the multitude of games out there, simply because that content was boring to me (walk to boss, get loot, walk to next boss, get more loot), I find this game to be exceptional on the group content so far. If you're one who enjoys the story, enjoys immersion, then group play in this game will most likely be something you will enjoy for once. So don't dicount it until you have given it a try here, this game is the only one in the past 3 years I have played where group content is something I look forward to doing more of and not avoiding it all together.

Just saying, it isnt the same as normal 'group' content.

i have to agree. most times in mmos i have soloed as much as possible simply because i like to go at my own pace and dont want to feel l ike im holding anyone up.  but in tor i find my self going through almost entire planets with people just because of how much fun i have been finding it.